Jul 24, 2013, 3:57 AM EST
The Nationals want to believe this will turn around, they really do. They want to believe they’ve been the victim of bad luck, so much bad luck that the cosmos are bound to repay them one of these days.
“I think at some point, the tide’s got to turn,” Jayson Werth said. “The luck’s got to swing in our favor. And hopefully when it does, we can grab hold of it and run with it.”
That may or may not be true, but the following statements absolutely are true in the wake of Tuesday night’s 5-1 loss to the Pirates:
— The Nationals have lost five straight games and 10 of 12.
— The Nationals are four games under .500, their lowest point since September 2011.
— The Nationals, at this moment, have more losses this season (52) than the Royals and Angels, the same number of losses as the Mets and Mariners and only one fewer loss than the Cubs.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner