Jul 24, 2013, 9:48 PM EST
Bryce Harper and Ian Desmond each were out of the Nationals’ lineup Wednesday night, each starter given a chance to take a breath and let some nagging, minor injuries heal.
Manager Davey Johnson said Harper was getting some treatment on his left knee, though the 20-year-old outfielder hasn’t been significantly bothered by the injury that landed him on the disabled list for a month earlier this season. Desmond, meanwhile, has a blister on his left hand that broke open late during Tuesday night’s game.
Harper had started all 19 games since returning from the DL on July 1. Though his production (a .214 batting average, one homer, six RBI, .658 OPS) hasn’t come close to mirroring his early-season numbers, he insisted his knee hasn’t been a factor.
“It’s been fine,” Harper said. “It’s felt good. There hasn’t been any major swelling or anything like that. Of course you’re going to have a little bit here and there, but every day it’s feeling better. Hopefully it’s all behind me.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair