Jul 24, 2013, 9:48 PM EDT
Bryce Harper and Ian Desmond each were out of the Nationals’ lineup Wednesday night, each starter given a chance to take a breath and let some nagging, minor injuries heal.
Manager Davey Johnson said Harper was getting some treatment on his left knee, though the 20-year-old outfielder hasn’t been significantly bothered by the injury that landed him on the disabled list for a month earlier this season. Desmond, meanwhile, has a blister on his left hand that broke open late during Tuesday night’s game.
Harper had started all 19 games since returning from the DL on July 1. Though his production (a .214 batting average, one homer, six RBI, .658 OPS) hasn’t come close to mirroring his early-season numbers, he insisted his knee hasn’t been a factor.
“It’s been fine,” Harper said. “It’s felt good. There hasn’t been any major swelling or anything like that. Of course you’re going to have a little bit here and there, but every day it’s feeling better. Hopefully it’s all behind me.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall
- Updated: Escobar leaves Nats-Padres game with injury
- Span sits to rest sore back; other Nats injury notes
- Nats aim for 3rd straight series win against Padres