Game 102: Pirates at Nats

Jul 25, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today
It's been ten days since the 2013 All-Star game and the Nationals are still looking for their first win in the season's second half. Last night we saw them lose their sixth straight game, failing to get any sort of offense going against lefty Francisco Liriano.
If Liriano was trouble, they may have an even tougher time this afternoon against A.J. Burnett. Burnett has been excellent this season at the age of 36, holding a 3.07 ERA through 17 starts. Back in May he held the Nats to one earned run through seven innings and struck out nine.
The Nationals will have Gio Gonzalez (7-3, 2.89) on the mound who's had a pretty good season himself. Gonzalez also has a win against the Pirates this season, throwing six innings of two-run ball on May 5.
The real question will of course be whether the Nationals can score some runs today, as they have scored more than three runs just twice in their last ten games. They have, however, given Gio solid run support for the most part in his recent starts. Five of Gonzalez' last six outings have seen the Nats score five or more runs, each time taking the win when they hit that mark. Gio has also recorded quality starts in all nine of his outings since the month of May.
Updates to come…

RF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond
CF Denard Span
C Kurt Suzuki
LHP Gio Gonzalez

1. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM

NatsLady said… Hey, Desi and Jayson, he's been calling that ALL DAY. Adjust! Foul it off.Agreed. This is exactly what Davey's been complaining about when he says that our batters have to be more aggressive.The other night somebody pointed out how many K's we have, and the high proportion of them being backward K's.Sigh . . . .

2. NatsLady - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM

3. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM

bowdenball – I cant see the game, following on pitch track (and listening to C&D but they are delayed)based on the SZ, it looks like Ks of course.. but i have an issue with the bat on shoulders.. also simple contact is asked.. Doesnt have to be for the fences…But this is becoming a continual them… But thanks, as I am at the mercy of having to read from some of the folks on the blog who are actually watching the game…

4. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Backward Ks is a problem Schu needs to work on .

5. SCNatsFan - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Two nights in a row Werth gets caught looking in a situation he should be swinging.Lets hope the Pirates hand us some runs next inning becasue that appears to be our go to play. Still, we are winning…

6. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Uhm.. Think they need to pull Gio… He is at 105 pitches already…Im surprised that he is even out there…

7. NatsLady - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Boy, Gio sure put one in there for a lousy hitter.

8. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Span is already past his peak. Blair had a long career and just comparing the averages obscures that Blair had a peak where he was one of the top players in baseball. Blair was an All Star who stole bases, hit for power and won Gold Gloves for the O's when they were great. Span does none of that and has done none of that. Go check around using Span's last 3 or 4 years. He is a replacement outfielder offensively and not quite an elite fielder, although very good. There are tons of guys like that in AAA.Span is a replacement outfielder, which is not a bad thing to be. You get rich and you get to play a great sport, but there are tons of Spans out there and Rizzo spent years trying to get this guy with no real distinguishing talents. That is a mystery to me.

9. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Wow.. I just said Gio should have been pulled… He has been laboring all day… And then the 2 run homer comes…Argh…

10. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Last 10 minutes this game turns.Taking third strikes is simple costing this team more than the hitters realize.I hope Schu actually coaches against that, and not just be a observer.

11. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:29 PM

How could any baseball fan not know who Paul Blair is? That is hard to believe for me, but I guess people don't study the history of the game much anymore…..

12. nats guy - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Here we go …..AGAIN.Too much crying about umpires. Not enough focusing on ……WINNING.

13. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Paul Blair about as shallow as any CF ever did.

14. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I'm beginning to think WODL isn't a Dennard Span fan.

15. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Well, the same thing just happened, so I'll say the same comment:McCatty comes out to visit, and Gio strikes the next guy (this time, two guys) out.What's he saying?!

16. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM

FWIW, ELO rating on Baseball Ref has Paul Blair as number 356 in between Sammy Sosa, Alfonso Soriano and Rafael Palmeiro….

17. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I have not had a problem with umps today.

18. nats guy - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:33 PM

He's saying get the f***ing ball over the plate.

19. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Elo Rating of Denard Span: 960, which is probably too high….

20. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said… Span is already past his peak.At age 29?You ought to be a multi-millionaire by playing the stock market by now, since you can predict the future so well!

21. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM

If you ask anyone who saw the O's teams of the 60's and 70's who is better, Denard Span or Paul Blair, you would get nothing but laughter in response…..

22. bowdenball - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM

NatsLady said…"bowdenball, it doesn't matter if they were balls by pitch track, that ump has been consistent since the first inning. You have to adjust. Stick the bat out there and foul it off or put it in play somehow."You make it sound so easy. It's remarkable that any major leaguer has ever struck out, considering how easy it apparently is to put a hard fastball up and away into play.I'll go ahead and give the benefit of the doubt to the guy with five HRs in the last four days.

23. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Gio just throws way to many balls. This guys wants to call strikes so it takes effort to throws that many balls.

24. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I hope the fans were not booing the umpire…I know he is a 4 eyed good ball, but this was the 3rd time around the batting order…Werth, and Desi know how he has been calling the strikes so there is no excuse to be watching anything in the zone and outside. Span, you knew would hit to 2nd base or strike outpathetic….zero outs bases loaded and nothing…. the term s LOSERS and that is what this team is made up of.. Lombo playing with heart today is the only positive. Jayson has been great but when you hold a press conference saying its not over and have an at at bat like that, its embarrassing. I bet Stammen gives up at least 2 runs as he has been terrible of late

25. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:36 PM

7 in row is about to happen gang…. no doubt at all in my mind

26. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:36 PM

What is the definition of a Denard Span fan?A relative of his or Mike Rizzo's….

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Another ridiculous stolen base.

28. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM

There is the difference between you and me. I assumevwe will get hits you assume outs. I assume Stammens will strike out Mercer you sssume 2 runs.

29. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:38 PM

WODlol on span ha haand thanks for the research on the last blog, i appreciate it.

30. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:39 PM

MNFtrue, but the sample size this season would suggest I am probably correct

31. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Ball 3 should have been strike 2 better than the ones to Werth or Desmond.

32. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Umps don't like to stand out in the sun any more than I like to sit in the sun. You have to be a bit more agressive.

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Oh RZim………..thank you ALR.

34. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM

See Ghost – that is why I hope we dont move Adam… or Ryan to 1st base…

35. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

New Nats Motto: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory….

36. nats guy - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

That was close. Another wonderful save by LaRoche. Another not so wonderful throw by RZim.

37. Tcostant - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

At least Davey won't be around to put Storen in the game!

38. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

39. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

How are we going to get through 3 more innings?

40. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:42 PM

That is correct, but I don't need to be correct to feel validated. Because i am not a better, i just predict good.I would never bet the way I predict.

41. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Gio came into the 6th with 98 pitches and a 4-1 lead. Wasn't Clip and every body but Storen available for this game?Just thinking it may have been time to give the ball to the bullpen to start the inning. Very reminiscent of Game 5 where Davey stuck with Gio too long and the Cardinals "smelled blood". Knorr/Davey just don't seem to adapt.

42. bowdenball - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM

mick said…"7 in row is about to happen gang…. no doubt at all in my mind"No doubt, huh? So can I get 2 to 1 on the Nats? If the Nats win you give me $200, if the Pirates win you get $100. Since there's no doubt in your mind, this amounts to a free $100 for you. Whaddya say, mick?

43. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM

If you notice, every team the Nats have been playing have gotten better since the break, the Mets may sweep us as well as they are playing very well. Nats have clearly become one of the worst MLB teams since the break.

44. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I bet Stammen gives up at least 2 runs as he has been terrible of late Really?

45. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Wonkyes, really!! wait til next inning..

46. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Paul Blair and Tris Speaker were known for playing incredibly shallow in center field, and Blair won 8 Golden Gloves and won 3 World Series and made 2 All Star teams.

47. Nats106 - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Top 3 in the order have been getting it done today.

48. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Is Davey allowed to contact McCatty or is he cut off from communicating?

49. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM

sure bowden you got itI bet you really enjoyed this web site when the team lost 100 back to back, maybe secretly most of you do as well.get off my back…my posts are harmless compared to others in here…I have every right to vent…you can be all feel good towards lousy played baseball if you want, but lay off me. I am so sick of any negative comment be scrutinized.i guess its my turned to be picked on, right, then go for it!

50. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Technically, Davey has to stay out entirely. Practically, he is certainly still in touch.

51. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:50 PM

mick said… Ghost as I said in the last blog…ALR has save R Zim and Desi from embarrassment…can you imagine how many more games under 500 this team would be with out ALR's defense?Davey and Rizzo knew what RZim was & is and have accepted this poor throwing as a rule and not an exception. This is why the Nats brought ALR back.Third basemen are supposed to make a throw on a line not lollipoping it over and hoping the 1st baseman bails you out. Let's be real, the reason RZim doesn't play the line in "no doubles" situations or play at normal depth is because he can't make the throw as easily. It cost the Nats a game in the Dodgers series when the 1st batter hit a double up the 3rd base line and RZim was manning his perch at it's usual spot.It's hard to watch a Gold Glove player like him deteriorate as quick as he has.

52. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Imagine that. An elevated ball and Harper gets a hit.RISP 9 for 90. 3 for 9 for the game.

53. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Mick is doing that thing that I used to do when I was a kid. It is a subtle form of superstition. You say that the worse is going to happen and then are glad when it doesn't. That isn't to say that there is truth in what he posts, but apparently most people on here don't "get" it. This is a very common form of "superstition", if you will engage in by almost everyone to varying degrees…..

54. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Stammen gets the 1st out and Nats are going to stick with Craig Stammen until the lefty I presume.

55. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM

If we can get through this inning, we might not have to face the big guns again….

56. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM

WODsome of that is true

57. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I meant to say, this isn't to say that there isn't truth in what Mick posts. Hard to get those negatives in sometimes, even for the LOD….

58. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Ghostgood points

59. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Boy, the Pirates have no fundamentals….

60. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Stammen with a good inning…

61. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM

mick said… Wonk yes, really!! wait til next inning..Four up and four outs.

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Where has this Stammen been lately?Diaz need to see again.

63. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM

ha ha Clint Hurdle, now you get to see first hand how bad this umpire is

64. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Wonki hope your right

65. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Nats luck out. Stammen pitches to Alvarez the HR hitter and gets away with a single and a tag out as he rounded the base.Why not Krol in that situation?

66. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM

NatsJack left? Dang… I wanted to ask him a quesiton….

67. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Hurdle and Davey having a beer in one of those low-rent beer gardens next to the Park…..

68. bowdenball - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM

mick said…"get off my back…my posts are harmless compared to others in here…I have every right to vent…you can be all feel good towards lousy played baseball if you want, but lay off me. I am so sick of any negative comment be scrutinized."You're right, you're allowed to vent all you want. But guess what? I'm then allowed to point out that you're being over the top with your negativity and saying things you don't actually mean. What's good for the goose … If you don't like it, you can either vent in private, or you can stop being over the top with your negativity and saying things you don't mean in a public forum. Otherwise, deal with it, just like you're asking other readers to deal with your negativity.

69. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Nats need more than 4 runs to win this today

70. Nats106 - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Nice job by stammen. Now let's get some insurance

71. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM

MrsB, that inning should still be going don't you think.

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Barely round, but enough for Diaz. Cant say he is wrong.Heads up by Desi to toss over.

73. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Davey can't pay the $9 in Nats Park since he won't be getting his play-off and world series share….

74. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I have every right to vent…you can be all feel good towards lousy played baseball if you wantNo Mick — it's the opposite.We feel awful about the lousy baseball, and we're trying to be hopeful. And then somebody comes in and — while we're still winning — promises we're going to lose. Or guarantees that Stammen will allow two runs. He didn't? OK, next inning he would.Everybody's got their own thing that bothers them. The thing that bothers me is predicting doom in the middle of a game — going to far as to predict a loss even when we're winning.

75. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:59 PM

bowdenwhatever

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Zim with 2 infield hits already, tried for a third.

77. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Ghost – Im following on pitch track… So it looks like Stammen is wheelin… I was waiting to see something about a switch but I figured that Stammen was wheelin so he would continue to the inning…Its a good thing our D is holding up…

78. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Just skip what you don't want to read. I try to ignore all those posts that say "Span is just in a 4 year slump. Let's be patient with the guy."

79. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

And I'm not picking on you, Mick — I pick on anyone that does that.

80. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:01 PM

WODlololo

81. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Im so glad Adam got a hit… He has been a little off lately, too…Granted, he got robbed a couple of hits…

82. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I would much rather read Mick than read the posts that say that it is still early in the season….

83. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:01 PM

WonkI got it

84. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Wow – Jayson Werth has not had a good day at all…

85. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Memo to Jayson: if the ump is gonna keep calling those a strike, Burnett's gonna keep throwing them.

86. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Erth forgot that was strike 3 last time too.

87. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM

as Booby C just said.."on the corner or there abouts"…does MLB evaluate this umps and are their penalties for horrible umpires?

88. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM

But Ghost – what I am upset about is that Burnett is still in this game..Nats were having very good at bats early in the game… First 2 innings, Burnett was up there in the pitch count… Then all of a sudden, its like they just got up there and said to hell with it, lets end this right now…

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I swear I hit the damn. w. Werth……

90. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM

So did he actually take a turn, or was that a bit of a makeup call?

91. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Anyone who thinks that Mick's predicting doom is going to bring doom deserves to have their blogging pleasure disrupted because they are apparently more superstitious than he is, because they think the Nats only win when everyone is posting "peace and love"….

92. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Burnett was up there in the pitch count… Then all of a sudden, its like they just got up there and said to hell with it, lets end this right now… OTOH, we know with lots of pitchers that they sometimes have bad first innings, and then settle down and pitch well.

93. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I know Nats should have scored with bases loaded, but this HP umpire is very bad!

94. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Hopefully at some point in the future, pitch count will fade into obscurity. I don't know how we survived without it for the first 90 years of MLB. Players should play the game, not the pitch count.

95. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Wonk – From my understanding, Burnett had a 5/6 pitch inning followed by a 7/8 pitch inning… that isnt settling down…That is poor plate discipline…

96. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Speaking of people who've been proved right, how's Swift Eagle these days? Well, I hope.

97. David Proctor - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Why in the world is Knorr going with Tracy against the lefty?

98. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM

WODgood point…do not ever remember the term pitch count back in the day

99. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM

SI started all this pitch count stuff and there is not a lot of science behind it at all. It is the low-sodium recommendation (another thing you always hear that means nothgin) of sports…. How did Walter Johnson and Warren Spahn and Nolan Ryan pitch all those innings? It is all garbage that we have to hear about over and over. I am sick of hearing about it. Leave the guy out there until he is getting shelled.

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Someone provided a great stat. Nats lead majors in percent of k that are looking.I wonder what the percentage is and what the second place team's percentage is?Now 9 for 91 RISP daily now 3 for 10.

101. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM

WODDon Drysdale had no pitch count either, that man was a machine

102. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM

We have people who have never heard of Paul Blair, but they are experts on pitch counts and how to work them. Seems strange to me….

103. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM

David Proctor said… Why in the world is Knorr going with Tracy against the lefty?Huh? Isn't Burnett a righty?Perhaps because of:Rendon in July: .211Tracy in July: .368

104. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Paul Blair was one hell of player, won WS with both O's and Yankees, he had speed batted over 280 and was an All Star defensive player

105. David Proctor - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Oh I'm stupid. Ignore me.

106. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:13 PM

So, if you're watching, on the Alvarez play where Hurdle got 86'd, did Alvarez really make a move to go to second, or was that just a makeup call?

107. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:13 PM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said… We have people who have never heard of Paul Blair, but they are experts on pitch counts and how to work them.Has it occurred to you that knowing who played on the Orioles 35 years ago, and knowing strategy in 2013 are two different knowledge bases?

108. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Bernadina, a late inning defensive replacement….

109. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Sofa…I doubt it, i just think that umpire is simply terrible

110. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Clippard came in, he saw, and he conquered…Dang, that was quick…

111. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Six pitch inning from Clip. Nice!

112. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM

113. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Wonki want to be wrong

114. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM

David Proctor said… Oh I'm stupid. Ignore me.Naah . . . your batting average around here has got to be well over .950!

115. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Paul Blair famous for replacing Reggie Jackson mid-inning before Billy Martin's dugout meltdown in the late 70's….

116. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

1 more run would be huge

117. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

WODha ha very good, that is correct

118. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Wonk, selective anecdotes always seem to support the viewpoint of the person putting them forth: you can't explain that.

119. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM

When did Paul Blair play for Washington?

120. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Sec, My Sofa – You just blew someone's mind with that… lol…

121. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said… No, Wonk, because I don't think a person can be a true baseball fan without knowing its history, and especially the history of a local guy, but you can be a Nats fan and know nothing whatsoever, yes….Who died and made you arbiter of what it takes to be a true fan?But that's trying to slide away from my point: being a "true fan" according to your definition, and knowing a lot about how baseball works in 2013 are two different things.NL has a long track record around these here parts making keen observations based on her knowledge and of stats.(While you announce to the world that that one of the worst hitting teams in baseball absolutely has to go out and get pitcher Jake Peavy)

122. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM

NatsJack — good one!

123. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM

At some point, Baltimore had Paul Blair and Washington had Willie Tasby.

124. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Blair played for the Orioles for many seasons. I never met anyone that I respected as a baseball fan who didn't know about Paul Blair. I allow for youth, but anyone over 8 years old who loves baseball the way that I do, knows about Paul Blair. And if you don't, then you should….

125. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I don't think you can be a fan of English and not know simple punctuation and spelling, and the difference between there, their, and they're, but that's just me.

126. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM

make this 5-3

127. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I don't like Harper as lead-off man. He has only gotten on base 3 times today. I just don't like it.

128. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

C'mon Lombo — get us a sac fly!

129. Nats106 - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Since we're talking about Paul Blair, he played in an era of HOF centerfielders. Tail end of Mays and Mantle, Vada Pinson, wasn't Alou (or one of them) at CF?

130. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

LOMBO!!!!

131. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

And I don't know anyone who doesn't Sofa. That is the lowest form of internet attack, usually engaged in by people who are a little bit slow, you know, the kinds of guys who always thing of good comebacks ten minutes later, but don't realize that people are typing on miniature keyboards and that "there" quip is about as lifeless and stupid as they come…..

132. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Well, Blair was OK, I guess, but he was no Adolpho Phillips.

133. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Its just one of those days… Good on Lombo…

134. David Proctor - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Lombo with quite a day.

135. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

OK, no sac fly. I'll take the double. Thanks! ;-)

136. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM

That was much better Sofa, see you can do better when you try.

137. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM

You missed my taked.He barely turned. But Desi throwing over convinced Diaz he did turn.

138. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Oh, come on. There are much lower. I put it in the middle somewhere.

139. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

See, Mick, it's not just you I pick on! ;-)A Fly Moses said… Okay, now I'm starting to think Davey's just throwing games. Batting Lombo (it's too depressing to look up, but no part of his slash line is above .300) 2nd?

140. pedrocerrano - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I would trade all the denard spans and danny espinosas in the world for just one steve lombardozzi

141. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Blair was a very good player…problem was in Baltimore he was over shadowed by Frank Robinson and Don Buford

142. David Proctor - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM

A fastball right down the middle…

143. Section 135 - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Way to be clutch Zim

144. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM

And Squeaky Valentine. Don't forget Fred.

145. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM

feeling a lot better about this game…. but another run would also be nice

146. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Ryan Zimmerman sucks. Right down the middle with runners on 2nd and 3rd.

147. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Another backwards K. I know where Rick Schu needs to start.Identifying balls and strikes.We take way too many strike 3s

148. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Sorry, Sofa, but I basically see the attack on people's use of contractions while trying to type furiously on a mobile device on every single forum that I read where things get heated at all. It is a form of an attack ad homineme. See, what the person says can't be "write" because they didn't bother to retype the whole thing with they're two index fingers….

149. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM

ha ah sofa yes indeed

150. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM

ALR thank you!!!!!

151. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Mick was wrong! And Mick is the happiest one of all that he was wrong! See, that is how it works.

152. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Adam LaRoche and his blazing speed….

153. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM

It's not the phones, man. They just don't know the difference. But that's a lost cause.

154. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM

First time I can exhale in a while! Thanks ALR!

155. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Pirates have no fundamentals. I predict they finish in 3rd place in there division.

156. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM

WODlol

157. pedrocerrano - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM

LOL pirates

158. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Alphabet Soup Erik said… Ryan Zimmerman sucks.Yeah — I hate it when guys go 3-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI.

159. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM

160. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I'm greedy…how about 8-3?

161. bowdenball - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM

DC Wonk-Thank you for phrasing your "attack on negativity" better and more gently than I did. It's particularly galling during a weekday afternoon game, because there are a lot more people relying on this thread for information and insight about the game. At night you can just turn on Bob and FP or Charlie and Dave if you want to don't feel like being subjected to the venting of negative fans, but during a workday many people don't have that option.

162. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM

OK, we're out of tuck range. I'm good. My work is done here.You're welcome.

163. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… How about Carlos Paula? And for slick fielding 1st basemen how about Julio Becquer?I'm an old Mets fan.Keith Hernandez.

164. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Who brought up Paul Blair's name? Has nothing to do with this game.Even Curt Floid (who was better than Paul Blair) and played in DC is not needed in this thread.

165. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Okay NatsJack – you are pulling them from the index seriously…Carlos Paula got my grandmother into watching… She still talks about him today…

166. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Mrs. Gilligan done skooled me well on differences atween thar, thar, and thar….

167. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM

WODthat's good!

168. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM

And for slick fielding 1st basemen how about Julio Becquer?Babe Dahlgren. If you don't know Babe, I have no respect for the color of your drapes, the car you drive, or what you had for breakfast.

169. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:39 PM

bowdenball said… DC Wonk- Thank you for phrasing your "attack on negativity" better and more gently than I did.Well, thanks. I was wondering about that old adage (wrestle with the dogs, get fleas) . . . but I know, at least, that Mick has his heart in the right place. He lives and dies with the Nats. I'm happy to help him try to die less when we lose ;-)And so, for him, perhaps discussing it can help reduce some of the doom and gloom. Because…It's particularly galling during a weekday afternoon game, because there are a lot more people relying on this thread for information and insight about the game.Agreed. And that includes me, too. All I have is nationals.com and natsinsiders.com to follow the game.And so this was a rare time when I participated in an in-game thread. I figured, what the heck, perhaps everyone once in a while I'll get down in the gutter and call out the crap for what it is.

170. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Curt Flood operated under the Nats curse, as did Darold Knowles and Denny McClain. Flood left DC in the dark of night for Spain (not Span), never to returen….

171. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM

why not rest Soriano with double header coming up and let Clip finish?

172. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Only Frank Howard, Eddie Yost, Mickey Vernon and maybe Killebrew and Pascual, were able to avoid the curse of the Nats and the younger Griffith and Bob Short….

173. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM

He needs the work. Who knows when he'll have a save chance next?

174. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Nope. I saw Carlos Paula play. I also saw Clint Courtney, Pete Runnels, Herb Plews, Jose Valdevialso, Harmon Killebrew, Roy Sievers and Jim Lemon all play at old Griffith Stadium. I can name the pitching staff as well. The starters were easy but Dick Hyde and Ted Abernathy were my favorites out of the bull pen.

175. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Just a game of inches. What a difference vs the last 6 games.

176. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Braves lost!

177. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Wasn't Abernathy, a lefty IICR, on the Cubs with Adolpho Phillips? I love it when a plan comes together.

178. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I would pitch Storen here. It is probably his last chance.

179. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM

How about Del Unser. He sort is like Span.

180. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Roy Sievers was pretty good. He had to fight for every $ after his big season….

181. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Dave and Charlie just bashing Mike Winters today on this K Zone.

182. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Abernathy was RH, but yes, '69 Cubs.

183. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM

184. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Chuck Hinton survived too.

185. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Denard Span couldn't carry Del Unser's sock….

186. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Come on Soriano. This is unacceptable. Throw strikes!

187. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I cant tell… someone watching – Has Desi been getting squeezed?Seems like the top of the SZ is being determined by flipping a quarter…

188. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I won't get worried until they have 3 guys on base.

189. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Ted Abernathy! If this old guy remembers correctly — I think that's the first submarine pitcher I saw on TV. (Am I remembering correctly?)OOOOH, that's why I was remembering him as a lefty! They used him as if he were, because of that. Good catch, Wonk.

190. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM

There you go

191. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM

OK, now I am worried.

192. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Uggh . . . I hate when we walk multiple batters in front of McCutchen.And perhaps Soriano needs some work in, so that if he's needed in a real save situation tomorrow he'll have the rust off?

193. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Wow Sori… Wow…

194. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Soriano lacks luster.

195. JayB - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Bowden. Taken third strikes with runners on base

196. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM

This goes from a laugher to a nailbiter after 2 walks.

197. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM

OOOOH, that's why I was remembering him as a lefty! They used him as if he were, because of that. Good catch, Wonk.I remember because when I played stickball with my friends, and we tried out all kinds of batting stances and pitching deliveries — I would throw a couple of submarines while announcing "here's Ted Abernathy!"

198. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM

No No Ghost – we got this… Sori needs the work…

199. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… This goes from a laugher to a nailbiter after 2 walks.Silly me. I announced, after ALR's triple, that I was exhaling for the first time in a long time.Blame this all on me.

200. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Only bull pen guy who has focused all year has been clip.