Harper’s walkoff HR powers Nats to win

Jul 25, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today
The Nationals knew at some point they would break their six-game losing streak and finally get a win after the All-Star break. But in their wildest dreams, they probably didn’t picture it would happen like this.
Two manager ejections, three Pirates errors in the first inning, a four-run lead blown in the ninth, the First Lady in attendance, and Bryce Harper’s first career walkoff home run is all it took for the Nats to finally get back into the win column.
Now at 49-53 on the season, the Nationals can’t take too much from what amounts to just one victory, they’re still eight games out of the division lead and have plenty of work to do to catch up. They do acknowledge, however, the feeling of a win is a nice change of pace for the first time in 11 days.
Bench coach Randy Knorr – who replaced Davey Johnson as manager after his ejection in the fifth inning – couldn’t overstate the dramatic turn of emotions in the ninth inning of the Nats’ 9-7 win over the Pirates.
“To tell you how it feels, just walking into the clubhouse right now, you’d think we won the World Series or something,” he said. “But that’s the way the game is right now. And hopefully this carries over for us. I think we’re going to get on a roll here. I think it was a big game for us.”

1. Don - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I think that this may turn the tide. Go Nats!

2. JayB - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM

This will help. Davey Stepping down and moving up to the GM box will do the trick. Randy Knorr did what Davey would not for 100 games. Kick some ass, hold a guy accountable and tell the truth about it to make sure the guy got the message loud and clear. Look for Rafael S. and cash be traded to Tigers this weekend.

3. TheManBearPig - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM

The walk-off and Randy's comment about shut down mode or out of the game. Accountability is a good thing, tempered with patience. Seems like we've seen too much of the latter and not enough of the former.

4. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Speaking of walk-offs, upon looking at the above pic again, it's somewhat reminiscent of Werth in game 4 of the NLDS. He got like three feet of air that time. :-)

5. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM

must have been copying his mentor, 1a.

6. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM

WOW JayB and NatsJack with same suggestion?

7. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Agreed. :-)Faraz Shaikh said… must have been copying his mentor, 1a.

8. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM

At some point, things become obvious.

9. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM

and glad to see JayB recovered.

10. 5c3cd06e-cef8-11e1-abe6-000bcdcb2996 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Soriano, Span, and Haren. Hard to pick the biggest goat from the herd. Rizzo served a slice of humble pie.

11. sjm308 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Just got back after a great game and maybe an even better dinner (Cafe Belga)Thoughts – two excellent plays by Lombo early in the game.Burnett throws first pitch strikes at an alarming rateBurnett had about 60 pitches through 6 innings as Gio was hitting 100 – I would not have brought Gio out for the 6th inning as they had runners on base every single inning and it was amazing he escaped as many times as he did.Loved seeing the other team making errors instead of our lads. Amazing the difference in Zimms throws when he does not hesitate – they have something on them and are right on target. When he takes that one step and has time you hold your breathI see our resident Span hater had a couple posts removed. Play nice william even though I disagree with you about 90% of the time.Anyway, my spousal equivalent is now 1-0 but refuses to return on Saturday. Hoping this is the start of something.(but I still have those reservations in Boston in Oct – not to mention this great trip to Slovenia & Croatia next month)Go Nats

12. David Proctor - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Honestly, I still think Soriano has been very good for us. Especially given how poorly Storen has performed. And Clippard didn't exactly do an amazing job last year, he wore down. I won't dispute that Soriano has been a mess the last couple weeks, but I'm not going to judge his entire year based on that. Span and Haren have been flops. I just don't view Soriano that way.

13. sjm308 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I would actually support that trade that JayB mentions. We have a bunch of guys who can close and have proven themselves. I realize Storen is on very thin ice but I think Clip is worthy and I have always felt that Mattheus might have the right stuff as well. Even though he did not have it today, I also like how Kroll goes right at batters. If we can get young prospects for Soriano, I say do it!

14. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM

15. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM

sjm… JayB just said "trade to Detroit". I want Castellanos.

16. David - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Anyone else ready for Davey to bench Soriano for Clippard? His BAA is .259 with a 1.25 WHIP … Clippards is .134 combined with a .85 WHIP. I don't care who's getting paid more, or who's had a better career, we need Clippard to close. I don't think it would mess up "chemistry" to go with Clip. He's been around for 5-6 seasons, and has done everything the Nats have asked, including closing last season. Anyone else agree with me?

17. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:35 PM

If Soriano is the Nats closer, then he ONLY pitches in closer situations.

18. Joe Seamhead - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM

NatsJack in Florida said…And another troll with all the letters nd numbers. Haren is definitely a bust. The other 2 are solid professionals.July 25, 2013 7:27 PM—–///-///——I agree 100%. Also, it was said by someone that William's posts are "insightful." Right word, wrong spelling, IMHO."inciteful would be more accurate.

19. NatsLady - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I was amused by Knorr's comment, especially since I heard it as "mood" rather than "mode." However, several times Soriano's been in for non-save situations (more than 3 runs)–when we got extra runs in the 8th or top of the 9th, yes, it has happened. He has already been warmed up for the save, and Davey just had him finish the game.I never got the impression he minded or thought it was beneath him. I rather thought he liked the non-pressure outing for a change. I would attribute his poor performance today to (1)a lot of days off and (2)strange strike zone.Neither one is an excuse. (1) He is a veteran and should be able to keep himself sharp. (2) That strange strike zone had been strange, but consistent, through most of the game. Maybe he was not paying sufficient attention. Still, before I go trading a guy–even if he's in a rough patch–I'd like to be sure that our bullpen can spare him. I feel with Soriano's contract he would pass through waivers. There is no rush to trade him. If we don't need him in late-August or September, there will be a team that will be desperate, and we will get a better deal.

20. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM

People do not realize how talented the Nats minor league system is, bull pen wise.Putting Krol in that situation means that he's that much more "high sress" ready.I liked what I saw,

21. NatsLady - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM

If you make Clip the closer, you open up a hole in the 8th inning. I'm not sure how it helps anything to swap Soriano and Clippard, and it makes Clip more expensive in arbitration. Now, if you are planning to TRADE Clippard (which would break my pore little heart), then you might want him to close games. But otherwise I don't see the point.

22. sjm308 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM

NL – you might be right on Soriano passing through waivers and waiting a bit.NJ – I will have to trust you on Castellanos, you get to see these young kids and we don'tSeamhead – the person calling William insightful was Mick so take that with a grain of salt.

23. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Davey's not quitting and Rizzo's not firing him, so you might as well quit dreaming about that. And as for letting Randy Knorr call the shots from now on with Davey as a figurehead – get real, people. What do you think a bench coach does during the game anyway? He serves as a sounding board for the manager on all in-game moves. You can bet there have been many times when Davey has taken Knorr's advice on a move, even if he doesn't announce it after the game is over. And besides that, in-game strategy is a very small part of what a manager does. I doubt there has ever been a manager fired because of who he sends up as a pinch hitter or when he removes a pitcher. Okay, maybe Grady Little, but that was far from the main reason. More like the straw that broke the camel's back.Knorr may indeed end up with the job next year, but it won't be until after they go after several external candidates first. Girardi, Gardenhire if the Twins fire him, even Cal Ripken. Rizzo was just quoted by Julie Alexandria the other day as referring to Cal as "my buddy." Gee, who's the last big-name ex-Oriole that Rizzo buddied up with? Right, Davey Johnson.Don't be surprised if they even interview Manny Acta. I hope they do, if for nothing else but to see the likes of JayB go apoplectic. In the end, how they finish out this year is going to count for a lot in the managerial search. If they finish strong, chances are better for an in-house candidate. But if they don't, they're more likely to go outside. And if they do go outside, the likes of Joe Girardi won't be turning Rizzo down this time.

24. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:49 PM

NatsLady… the adrenilen rush for a close situation is different from a 4 run lead.Watch how Krol reacted to failing his opportuniy to close. The inside of his glove heard the loudest F bombs ever.

25. sjm308 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM

NL – with Mattheus coming back sooner than later would he not fit the 8th inning role? They have still not played their hand on who is going down and if Storen stays up people will be screaming but that would be my choice. I know, I know, he has not done well but I still have hopes.As much as I would hate it, I have to think that Clippard brings back more than any other player on our roster. If we are going to make a run, I want them all here – YES William, even Span.

26. sjm308 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I agree strongly with Feel that Davey is not going anywhere and I have never wanted him to. I also agree that Knorr is probably making decisions and has been for most of the season. Davey might not follow them all but I agree that Knorr is that sounding board. One place I doubt that Davey asks for help is with the bullpen and I do think what happened today was all Knorr.

27. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM

28. Joe Seamhead - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

My take on Soriano is that he is a better than average closer. Not terrible, but not great,either. I'm glad Rizzo signed him, as Storen has been a disappointment and Clip can only throw so many innings.

29. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

"I never got the impression he minded or thought it was beneath him."Boswell and others have pointed out that Soriano's entire mound routine changes when he's not pitching in a save situation. He doesn't untuck, he doesn't do the look into the cap before each batter, plus many other aspects of his routine. It's like he lives for the save and phones in all non-save appearances. Boswell has also pointed out that Soriano's ERA has been much higher in seasons when he wasn't a closer than in seasons when he was. Case in point, setting up for Mariano Rivera in 2011 his ERA was 4.12. When he closed for the Yankees last year after Rivera got hurt it was 2.26.

30. NatsLady - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM

You could probably get a good return for Clippard, just like the guy in Chicago (Crain), who is also not a "closer" but is outstanding. But I would keep him. He has shown that he, rather than Storen, could be our future closer. He could make Soriano superfluous–he is younger and cheaper.

31. JayB - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Njack is right….Davey does not listen to anyone. He also does not ask for anyone's input. To me that is bad….others who think is is smarter than everyone else likely thinks this is great.Njack…..has Davey lost it in your eyes? He sure has made a lot of really pig headed decisions. Putting Storen in last night was all pick headed ego in my view. Njack did you think that was smart?

32. JayB - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM

pig

33. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM

34. paul brandt - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM

NatsJack in Florida said…To anyone that thinks Davey uses anybody as a sounding board….. POPPYCOCK. Suzie is the only person on the planet he confers with on anything.NJ, why do you say that? not being a smart a&% but just wondering the basis for your opinion…Knorr appears to be within earshot of most every decision so have to think he at least "listens"…if he doesn't, why have them or him? in my own opinion, given Davey's history, he leaves Soriano out there as opposed to bringing in Kroll which may have lead to a different outcome.

35. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… To anyone that thinks Davey uses anybody as a sounding board….. POPPYCOCK. Suzie's not in the dugout during games, NatsJerk. Randy Knorr's job as bench coach is to be thinking ahead, looking for angles that the manager might miss, and making suggestions. There have surely been times when Davey has taken those suggestions, and other times when he's ignored them. It's also clear that Davey has delegated big chunks of game management to his coaching staff already. You don't see Davey signaling outfield or infield placement, throws over to first, etc, like you see other managers like Mike Matheny doing. Davey sets the tone and lets his coaching staff handle the details.To anyone who thinks the geezer in Del Boca Vista knows it all….. POPPYCOCK. (And boy, talk about your geezer words…)

36. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Except with McCatty–Davey does seem to interact with McCatty to some degree. He didn't when he first started managing, he made a lot of mistakes with the bullpen (more than now, really) and eventually trusted Cat's advice, somewhat, anyway. I don't think trust comes easily to Davey.

37. baseballswami - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Soriano is a veteran, ex- Yankee closer. He did not want to stay there because he appears to see himself as — a closer, and only a closer. I think it's been quite obvious that he does not treat all relief appearances the same. Well, for all the money he is making he can just get over himself and do what his employers ask him to do. He is no better than anyone else on that roster and he is not worthy of special treatment. It 's a team. Everyone needs to WANT to do whatever will help the team. We have gotten on Drew for having difficulty changing roles and not having the same adrenaline- well he is a babe in the woods compared to Soriano. Suck it the heck up.

38. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:11 AM

NatsLady said… All I know is that when Knorr was managing, Werth was right up next to him talking to him. I have not seen that with Davey, he seems to pace the dugout by himself or look at his notes and his chart on the wall. I don't see a lot of interaction going on.You do realize that while Knorr was the de facto manager he was also still doing all the things he would otherwise have been doing as bench coach, don't you? Werth and Knorr seem to spend a lot of time interacting every game. Why stop just because Knorr got some additional responsibility today?

39. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I don't see anyone taking Soriano, 'specially at Nats Jacks price. Tigers are going to need a shortstop very soon — and already need a second baseman — more than a mediocre closer. (Two losses, four blown saves in roughly 30 opportunities doesn't seem very distinguished to me.) His K rate is way down, and it seems ludicrous that you can trust him to hold a one-rub lead but not a four-run lead. There isn't anybody behind him — Storen (duh), Clippard will get overexposed like last year, Mattheus leads the league in self-inflicted injuries and Garcia is hurt. So, regretfully, I would see getting rid of Soriano as throwing in the towel on 2013. I don't think they can do that. Better hold onto him until September, see if there's an acceptable waiver deal, and then make a push to get him out of town before the winter meetings.

40. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:13 AM

JayB, go back to Game 5. Knorr spoke up afterwards and said he made suggestions to Davey. Davey didn't take Knorr's advice.

41. Navy Nats Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I'll tell you what irritates me the most about Soriano – he sulks. Go watch the play where he gave up the Mercer double in the 9th. With runners on 1st and 2nd and a ball hit to the gap, the pitcher has to be behind the plate backing up the catcher well before the throw home. Soriano was still on the mound pouting. Inexcusable.

42. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:13 AM

JayB… I know he's smart. I also know he never thought about what being a lame duck meant to everyone including himself.Yes… his ego is huge but now he realizes it's also old.When he shook my hand last November when I thanked him for giving me my greatest Washington, D.C. experience, he looked me in the I and said, "it's going to be even better next year".I can only imagine how he feels but I can assure you, he means well.I'll get to talk to him once the season is over, but for now, he'll do everything to finish the year strong. He enjoys the Lerner family and truly respects Rizzo.

43. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:18 AM

The only peron in the dugout that does less than the bench coach is the hitting coach. Tarrasco sets the defense, and Davey calls the signals for hitters.

44. JayB - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Why not walk away now? Nothing he is doing is helping. Most every decision he makes is backfiring. He knows he is doing a bad job. He is honest and he says so himself and lately even means it.Knorr would give them a better chance to win now and build for the future.Who every said Acta would get an interview is clueless. Not a chance he ever get a Manager job again. Never even get an interview except if Jimbo gets back in the game and with a very cheap ownership group.

45. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Storen is a Snodfa_t grad, so I have a hard time believing isn't aware of what he's doing, doesn't know how to fix it, can't control his emotions — whatever excuse people are providing for him. I observe that this is his option year and — perhaps this unkind but maybe not — possibly he thinks if he keeps on doing things his way two opportunities will open up: (1) he'll turn things around and pitch brilliantly; (2) he'll keep pitching like cr_p and the Nats will non-tender him before some arbitrator gives him a half-million dollar raise.

46. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:25 AM

One final comment…. I get to see these young players in Fall Instructs long before you guys do and I can tell you by far and away, the best pure hitters I've seen are Bryce Harper, Christian Yelich (left handed) and Nick Castellanos (right handed).I'd love Castellanos on the Nats.

47. SonnyG10 - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I missed the game today…out trying to get my truck fixed. Got home just as Nats Extra was closing. Forgot to set the DVR, but fortunately there is a replay on MASN at 11:30 pm. Should be a fun game to watch, knowing the outcome already.

48. sjm308 - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM

NatsJack – Really hard to believe that he goes 9 innings,162 games, with 25 players and 4 or 5 coaches and makes every single decision without at least once asking someone what they think.Glad you get to speak to him and all that but I think you might be a little out of line with the poppycock statement. We get it that you are a true "Insider" hell Mark probably had to get your permission to use it in the blog title. But I will disagree with you on the poppycock. I will say this after 40 years of coaching. If I ever tried to get through a season without using my assistant coaches as sounding boards, it would have been hell. But I am not you or Davey.

49. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM

OK…. JayB…. there is another very lucrative year as a consultant.Davey, like the Lerners, doesn't give away monet freely.

50. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… The only peron in the dugout that does less than the bench coach is the hitting coach.Well, they fired the hitting coach. If the losses continue, I guess the bench coach is next.

51. sjm308 - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Since I obviously took the poppycock thing a little personally, let me also say that my finest year as an assistant coach was when my Head Coach gave me huge responsibilities. Also proud to say that that was the last year the Maryland Men won the ACC Swimming Championship (1969).

52. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Theo, usually I respect what you say a lot, but intelligence does not always equate with "controlling your emotions," especially in your twenties. He may be aware of what is going on, but he may not know how to "fix", and even if he knows how to fix it, he may not be able to.

53. sjm308 - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:32 AM

NL and Theo – both are excellent points. My money is on Drew figuring it out but I do worry that he might over think before getting it solved. Sometimes you just have to rear back and throw the damn ball.

54. JayB - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:32 AM

That is sad. Hurt the team for your own personal gain at age 70.

55. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:33 AM

56. baseballswami - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I think Davey had an obvious teacher's pet , who he saw himself in, and I think he has the opposite relationship with Drew. Maybe Drew is going to turn out to be a pitcher who needs to think a lot. They all need to find their own style, like trying to make Stras a contact pitcher, when hecresllt isn't.Maybe trying to make Drew something he is not is actually hindering him. He has a track record, and nasty stuff. I think the injury, the post season, a changing role that is still not all that clear, have all contributed to him being out of kilter. I think he regains himself and is our closer again in a year and a half.

57. sjm308 - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Swami – I have said it on here before that Drew is our closer in two years.

58. Section 109 DC - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Could someone please tell me why Girardi is a possibility? Why would he leave the Yankees?

59. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:05 AM

60. baseballswami - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Just watched the replay of the walk off. Guy threw Bryce a cutter. Otherwise known as a Ron Harper special. Somebody didn't watch the home run derby.

61. baseballswami - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:08 AM

And— I am guessing that most pros end their careers never having a walk off home run– or being in the home run derby, let alone going to the finals. He. Is. Twenty!

62. baseballswami - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:09 AM

And- there were 38 K at the park. On a Thursday afternoon. On a losing streak in a poor season. On then.

63. Knoxville Nat - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Interesting observations about Werth. You know he will have input on the next Manager.Ghost, I sure hope you are wrong about this. Having players take a role in a managerial search is no way to run a major league team in my opinion.

64. sjm308 - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Knoxville – didn't I read or hear awhile back that Portis was asked by Snyder about his thoughts on the next Redskin coach? – Oh yeah, I guess you are right on that.

65. sjm308 - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Swami – you would not believe the school buses and camp buses for this game! We saw them from as far away as Charles County in Md. Lots of bright colored t-shirts in far away seats. I will say though when the "lets go Nats" signs came on the scoreboard the kids really got into it. Also, no waves!! It was fun watching the counselors line them all up around 3pm or so as I got my last beer during the 7th inning stretch.

66. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Me too

67. baseballswami - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I heard the kids!! And it was family day for the Nats and their kids. I hear they stayed and had some fun. Glad the dads were in a good mood for a change.

68. Knoxville Nat - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Sjm308,Portis would be one example, Kobe Bryant or Dwight Howard also. Would not want either one of them selecting the coach for my team. Several others I'm sure if I really wanted to put some thought into it. Now if Peyton Manning had a suggestion I might listen to him.

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:37 AM

The glove didnt muffle much.Hope he learns from failure.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Schu was standing to knorr's left.Schu will need to work on pitch recognition and umpire reading.The slightly outside pitch to righties was being calledca strike about 80% of tge time. We acted like it would be a ball every time.

71. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Well, *that* sounds interesting. Looks like I went to work an inning too early. I think Davey stays because it's his job, and he genuinely believes he is the best one to do it.

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Soriano is better than Benoit by a lot, and Benoit is very good in tge 8th.Tigers biggest weakness is closer No harm asking.

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Tigers wont go for it, but I would ask.He is batting .279 for the Mud Hens.

74. Unknown - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Man, I love Randy Knorr. I'm a Davey man, too. Let's not forget he gave DC their best baseball season in 70 years and, a few years ago, we'd all be happy about this one, too. He is going to the Hall of Fame six years from now and I plan to be there for his induction.

75. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Maybe I am on real naive mood, as things I see as purely non issues have been issues today like nothing poppycocks sound offensive that I can tell.

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Pitching needs a plan and tge execution of tge plan. Let the catcher do the thinking.

77. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:53 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Just like Gardenhire, it's Girardi's call.I like both but would prefer it stay in house. July 25, 2013 9:05 PM Hard to forget the great job Girardi did for the Fish which would make him my first choice. I don't know about Gardenhire but I've said before that I'd take Girardi and if not him I'd give Knorr a chance.Look at the job Matheny did as a Rookie manager. Catchers make good managers.

78. c715e5d6-9d22-11e1-a89a-000f20980440 - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Speaking of Werth, but on a different topic. Occasionally I sit at field level, and I've noticed that he seems to get strikes called just below his knees (which would be at the knees for a shorter player). That might explain some of his complaining about the strike zone, but it also made me wonder if the various on-line pitch trackers are adjusted to the height of the player.The NIDO has only one column for tomorrow: I'm going to the early game. I've decided my office will run just fine without me, and (at least in most cases) a bad day at the ballpark beats a good day at the office.ArVAFan

79. baseballswami - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Phil's lost- does that mean we are back in second or tied?

80. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I would love Giradi to mange Nats

81. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:58 AM

poppycocks…isn't that what the wicked witch of the west said…"poppycocks will do it, poppy cocks"lol

82. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:59 AM

oops that was poppies…

83. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:59 AM

There were several we would rarely break 20,000 again this season.Had 133,000 for the series 34,250 a game.

84. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:02 AM

85. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:04 AM

we represent the lolipop guild, the lolipop guild, the lolipop guild, and in the name of the lolipop guild….we'd like to welcome you to munchkin land… see what the word poppycock has started… now I can't stop thinking about the wizard of oz

86. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:05 AM

"Poppycock" is actually pretty rude, in Dutch, or at least it used to be. Oddly, it was never an expression in that language; it was coined in the U.S.

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Yanks disciplining ARod for going to his own doctor who sats nothing wrong with quad. I believe Yanks have made up most of the crap.

88. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:09 AM

baseballswami said… Phil's lost- does that mean we are back in second or tied?Sorta kind of, tied with them for 2nd.

89. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Cardinals at Atlanta tomorrow. This could be a real interesting weekend if the Nats dig deep and find a way to get on a positive roll!

90. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:11 AM

MNF Damn Yankees….your blind ump, your blind ump, you must be outta your mind

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:12 AM

ARod looked fine when Yanks said he had a quad problem. I think they simply dobt want him on the team.cut him if you dont want him.

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Is that from the musical? Dont remember that?

93. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:13 AM

MNFyes indeed…Ray Walston as the devil

94. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Alpha-bits ArVaFan — the NIDO "Who's Going?" spreadsheet now has a column for tomorrow night's game. Thanks for pointing out that need.

95. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:16 AM

what Lola wants, Lola getslol

96. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I got the horse right here his name is Paul RevereI'm in a musical mood down memory lane all because of poppycock

97. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Lol Kilgore's piece.Bryce Harper barely remembered the end, but he felt it. The details remained hazy — the ball bouncing around the red seats, his raised fist as he rounded first base, the mix of joy and relief that engulfed Nationals Park. All he knew was his body throbbed in the spot Ryan Zimmerman kept jabbing after his leap into a pile of waiting, exuberant teammates. “He was punching me in the frickin’ rib,” Harper said, smiling.DON'T HURT BRYCE, RYAN!

98. SonnyG10 - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Oh boy! In an hour I'll get to watch the game you folks already seen today. This is going to be fun for me.

99. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:38 AM

A.J Cole fantastic in AA debut, 7.0 IP, 3H, 1R, 1ER, 1BB, 6K.

100. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:52 AM

game score puts too much emphasis on strikeouts, I just had to say it out loud.

101. baseballswami - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:52 AM

There are so very many more comments when we lose.

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Good job AJ

103. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Looks like tomorrow Zimmermann vs some guy I've never heard of in the early game and then Ohlendorf vs Harvey in the second game. I sure hope Zimmermann is healthy.

104. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:58 AM

The Nats need to bring up Joe Hardy.

105. Laddie Blah Blah - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Let's get realistic. If the Nats win all 60 of their remaining games, the Braves will have to lose no more than 7 games the rest of the way to beat them out for the division title. I don't think the Braves are up to that.

106. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:01 AM

107. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:07 AM

David Proctor said… A.J Cole fantastic in AA debut, 7.0 IP, 3H, 1R, 1ER, 1BB, 6K. July 25, 2013 10:38 PM That is indeed very encouraging!

108. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Think we're being a little harsh on Sori. Guy has been effective many more times than not. So he mailed it in today. We're raving about Krol, but he was actually the one who allowed the hit that drove in the tying runs. Krol deserved this victory about as much as Nixon getting a statue in Hanoi.BTW, the other Sori (Alfonso) pulled from Cubs lineup tonight. Sveum says trade to Yankees is "99 percent certain."

109. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:09 AM

@David Proctor: I wouldn't give up the ghost right yet. Still got nine head-to-head with the Barves. We should all remember four things about the Barves:1. They're not that good.2. They're injured.3. They choke in September.4. Fredi is a moron.

110. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Oh I'm not giving up. I just can't keep thinking about it. It gets tiring worrying so much about what the Braves did this day or did that. It doesn't matter if the Nationals don't play well. If the Nats play well and put together some wins, I'll start getting reinvested in the whole pennant race thing. But the last 6 days were not encouraging.I just hope today was the start of something.

111. SonnyG10 - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:14 AM

David Proctor said…I don't care about whether or not we make the playoffs right now. I did for a very long time but it's admittedly a long shot. I just want us to play competitive ball and if we string some wins together, who knows what might happen. I'm not counting on that though. I just want us to play good ball.July 25, 2013 11:01 PMSame here, David.

112. Laddie Blah Blah - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:16 AM

"I don't care about whether or not we make the playoffs right now."The players are grinding. Eight games seems like a lot, but there have been far bigger comebacks. It's a long shot with the status of their rotation, but baseball is an emotional game and the guys looked pumped after that one.Lombo energized the team, and Harper's big walk-off seemed like a shot of adrenaline to the heart of an imminent corpse, like the jolt of lightning Dr. Frankenstein used to wake up the dead guy with the bolt through his neck.Truth can sometimes be stranger than fiction.On the bright side, even if we lose all 60 remaining games, we will enhance out position for next year's amateur draft, reputed to be loaded with talent.We are in a no-lose situation.

113. sjm308 - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Laddie – great post for me to leave here – thanks for that and I will "see" you people tomorrowgoing to drink my warm poppycock and hit the sack(after I check with Davey to make sure its ok – he is my sounding board you know)Go Nats!!