Instant Analysis: Nats 9, Pirates 7

Jul 25, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

Game in a nutshell: After entering the ninth inning up 7-3, Rafael Soriano and Ian Krol combined to blow the lead. But Bryce Harper then hit a walkoff homer – the first of his career – in the bottom of the ninth to secure the win. The Nats had jumped out early with four runs in the first inning, more than they had notched in eight of their previous ten games. They were assisted by some sloppy defense on behalf of the Pirates as you'll read in the hitting highlight, but nonetheless an ideal start for the struggling Nationals. Gio Gonzalez was not as sharp as he's usually been lately, but was able to give the Nats 5 2/3 innings of three-run ball. He needed 119 pitches on the day after walking four and striking out 11, still keeping the Pirates to three runs. Craig Stammen took over for Gonzalez and pitched 1 1/3 innings to bring the Nats to the eighth when Tyler Clippard took over. Clippard was solid with his 13th consecutive scoreless inning, preserving the one-run lead. The Nats then got three insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth, two on a triple by Adam LaRoche with two outs. But Rafael Soriano allowed two runs in the top of the ninth before being replaced by Ian Krol who allowed two more to tie the game at 7-7.

Hitting highlight: The first inning was good times for the Nats on offense, both on their own accord and with a little help from the Pirates' defense. Pittsburgh committed three errors and let in four total runs, only one of them charged to pitcher A.J. Burnett. The first came on an error by Pedro Alvarez at third who couldn't reel in a throw to him during a rundown, Bryce Harper came around to score on that one. The second costly error came on a Denard Span single that saw Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond both score after a throw attempt to second by Gaby Sanchez found its way into the outfield.

1. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Schu!!!! I mean Bryce!!!

2. Don - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Bats arrive. Lombo amazing game, just a great game. Harper is again Harper. Now, Rizzo — get us some more pitching!!

3. SCNatsFan - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Well a W is a W

4. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Good lord what an exciting game.. I didnt need the 9th inning theatrics there by the BP but goodness gracious…

5. David Proctor - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Bryce Harper.Just. Bryce. Harper.

6. Secret wasian man - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:20 PM

BRYCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEE/ I think its obvious now that Soriano can go. Let Clipp close. And like Ive said before play Lombo. Atholton high school baby. 8 games back. hahaha

7. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM

JD said…MRS.BHairston hit because there were no left handed hitters left on the bench=====That's right.. I forgot they switch Span and Bernadina (any reason why they did)… But still, even agains LHPs, Hairston hasnt really done what we would have hoped….

8. Tcostant - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Boy did we ever need that win, I feel bad for Gio, but we need that.Harper's homer is why he needed to pitch-hot for Span last night.And you know what, I'm glad Soriano got yanked, because they is no doubt in my mind we would have lost already if he was allowed to stay in.I think Soriano might need the Trevor Hoffman treatment and see no action unless a save can be had. He is useless otherwise…

9. Secret wasian man - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM

That performance by the Bullpen was awful. Especially Soriano. We can get just about anyone to walk people.

10. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Now on winning streak RISP 5 FOR 13 during streak..Remember I said he needs to elivate the pitch.

11. Secret wasian man - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I hope we see Lombo again tommor.

12. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM

BP has let us down this series… Granted the bats were off… But even in the low scoring when our SP did their jobs, the BP came in and pooped for real…Gonna be interesting to see what is done when Mattheus comes back…

13. Tcostant - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:24 PM

No doubt in my mind we would have lost if Soriano was allowed to stay in.

14. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Deal Storiano and Span.

15. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Yeah Tcostant – but Knorr shouldnt have let Krol face Harrison….Im just glad we won though…

16. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM

JD said…IDK,This was a walk off but there was so much wrong in this win it's hard to expect continuity but one can hope.Agreed . . . but: baby steps, baby steps, . . .We did get 14 hits. We keep hitting like that, the wins will come.

17. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Aaand exhale…whew!btw, the blown save is on me. I was just making a note to self about getting 50% off Papa John's for dinner tomorrow when Soriano came in. Sorry about that, folks. ;-)(Oh, and count Clip out on the BP stinking.)

18. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I also missed DJ's ejection. Went upstairs for a minute and an Emergency Broadcasting System test kicked in. That always resets my DVR. But that's okay. I did see Hurdle get the boot.

19. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Randy Knorr should take over these press conferences….

20. David Proctor - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I like Randy Knorr. Pulling Soriano took some balls. Krol still coughed up the lead (but I thought he got beat on a good pitch and it doesn't matter if the men aren't on base).

21. RaleighNat - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Wow. At work and remembered to check in bottom of 9th. Tie game and I'm like yeah we have a chance. Then looked at box score and saw the BP coughed it up again. But any win to change the mojo. (I'll say this quietly…braves also lost…

22. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

It's the ridiculous, stupid stuff like that WODL. That makes you a troll.

23. Steady Eddie - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM

24. NatsLady - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Knorr with the zinger: If he [Soriano]'s not in the mood to shut it down, I take him out.

25. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I was talking to the tv during Soriano's stint. "Yeah, go ahead and pull him. Oh, you don't like it? Well, try throwing strikes next time." (What can I say? Losing streaks have that effect on me.)

26. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:34 PM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

27. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Good point, Eddie. I forgot about Craig's outings.

28. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:35 PM

natsfan1a said… Aaand exhale…whew! btw, the blown save is on me.We might have to fight for that, nfa. When ALR tripled, I posted a message that it was the first time I had exhaled during a game in a while.(Not often a guy in his 50's gets nailed for premature exhalation)

29. Doc - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I was kinda thinking that Morris likes throwing cutters, and Harps is used to seeing RH cutters from his pops–something interesting here might happen.And it did!OK guys lets get on a run here. The Braves can be had.

30. NatsLady - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM

The ultimate motivator–Storen warming for the 10th. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

31. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM

How about we share it, Wonk?

32. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM

And in stirrups, no less.NatsLady said… The ultimate motivator–Storen warming for the 10th. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

33. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM

lol, I just noticed that line!(Not often a guy in his 50's gets nailed for premature exhalation)

34. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Steady Eddie said… 1a. — nice also to see Stammen doing OK for the second game in a row after a really bad stretch.Agreed.He and Clip are the unsung heroes of this game, come to think about it . . .

35. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

36. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM

natsfan1a said… How about we share it, Wonk?Deal.(Easy to share a blown save when we end up winning ;-) )

37. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM

WODL: rule of thumb:Anyone who posts stuff vile enough to get their posts removed is a troll.I'm guessing your offensive posts aren't going to last too long here.

38. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Harper's hit at least extends the season. If the Nats lose this one, I honestly think it is over and this may be a year where 85 wins get you in. We have 3 good to very good starters and would be a much better post-season team than a regular season team, like the Mets in 1973.

39. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM

DC Wonk, I think your posts are far more offensive. And who are you anyway?

40. Drew - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM

719 from Henry Aaron

41. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:43 PM

In other news, I'm pretty sure this win means that Chase has to do all the game threads now. Sorry about that, Mark. It's not you, it's us. :-)

42. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM

But you do qualify for the Rule of Thumb, Wonk, so congratulations! You call criticizing Rizzo offensive. Way to try to stifle free speech, dude. You attack others personally by name. I haven't even addressed you, so you may just move on.

43. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Here is how the small sample size of Harper has done leading off. 5 gamesAt bat 20average. .300Runs 3Hits 6Doubles 2Triples 0Home runs 1Total bases 11Slugging .555Walks 2Hit by pitch 0Sacs 0OBP .391OPS .946K 5Most of the Ks against Kershaw.

44. NatsLady - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Wow, we are not the only team missing offense.Adam J. Morris ‏@lonestarball 3mIncluding today, the Rangers have scored 28 runs in their last 12 games.

45. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM

That isn't bad for a start leading off by Harper, but also just compare the stats of Harper the last two years to other potential lead off guys and ask who you want getting the extra at bats.

46. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM

You said you werent going to respond, you couldnt help it.

47. NatsLady - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM

MNF, wasn't Harper HBP today? Also he was caught stealing.

48. baseballswami - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I really liked Knorr's no nonsense attitude.

49. Secret wasian man - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Not to get involved. But what did WODL say to get everyone cranked up? Was it the Post game comment and letting Knorr do it?

50. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM

51. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM

As a teacher of law, Freedom of speech nothing with anything here.The constitution protects the people from the government , not from each other.Its ok its a mistake a majority people make.

52. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM

All I was getting at was the same thing that Swami said. I have no idea why that set the guy off. I thought it was mildly funny because you can actually understand Knorr and he doesn't seem petulant. I am not calling for DJ to step down or anything, but I don't even know if there is a rule as to who has to do the interview like they have in the NCAA.

53. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:53 PM

At 4:42 you wrote: "DC Wonk, I think your posts are far more offensive."At 4:44 you wrote: "I haven't even addressed you"Do you even read what you write?Oh, wait, you can't go back and read them all, because two of your posts got removed already.

54. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I understand the limits of freedom of speech, but in general, they apply when people post subject to blog or site requirements. I know of no rule on here prohibiting sarcasm or criticizing Nats within normal bounds. But we do have a bunch of typical American busybodies on here who want to shut down speech that they disagree with, rather than engaging in more speech….

55. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Rangers if tgey lose will be 3-9 compared our 2-19.Tgey are still 10 above .500

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Want him up the most.Record 2-3.

57. Secret wasian man - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Oh. Well just consider the source. Davey should step,down. And although Krol didn't get it done. They move to take sorry on oh out was the best managerial moves I've seen this season. Davey would have sat there and let the game get to 9 to 7 pirates.

58. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM

They can't all be hits, I guess, DC Wonk, but I am glad to have you as a big brother. Try arguing points versus engaging in ad hominem attacks and maybe you will convince people.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Its on my paper just transferred. Counted it in the on base pct.

60. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I guess. It was rather innocent, not sure wht Nats Jack got upset about it.

61. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM

They seem awful close to me as I remember.

62. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM

And I thank the administrator for removing my responses to NatsJack. I should just have ignored him.

63. Wendell - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Love the District of Columbia ball cap Bryce is wearing

64. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM

It seemed innocent to me too.

65. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Criticize Rizzo all you want. Just be factual. The stupid Marlon Byrd complaint without stating the issues why Byrd had no interest in signing with the Nats would be a good place to start.Otherwise, you appear as a troll.

66. NatsLady - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM

No prob, MNF. Didn't know if you were keeping track yourself or getting it from a website.I hope Davey goes home (or out to dinner), takes a long peaceful walk, gets a good night's sleep and gets himself thrown out of the second game tomorrow in the third inning.

67. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM

The 1971 caps seem almost identical to the current red ones.

68. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I wasnt sure how you got dragged in either.

69. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Ignoring you now, NatsJack.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I thought the Krol move was a good move that Davey would have never done.It didnt work, but tge move was correct.

71. David Proctor - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak nowKnorr on pulling Soriano-"He wasn't throwing the ball over plate. If you don't want to be in mode to shut game down, I'll get somebody else"Is it bad that I almost want Randy Knorr to become manager for that line alone?

72. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM

And WOW! Are the Brewers in the dumpster or what?

73. Secret wasian man - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Daveys a good man. And was a good manager last year and the one before. But it is time for a new voice. No need to wait until the last game. Don't fire him. Ask him Nicely.

74. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:02 PM

It is bad, David Proctor. Some would even call you a troll….

75. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Secret wasian man said… Not to get involved. But what did WODL say to get everyone cranked up?It was not one thing in particular. It was the weight of dozens and dozens of posts in the last thread, ruining the mood for many.By the end and as it seemed like he was starting up again in this thread (trade Soriano and Span), it indeed seemed somewhat troll-ish. And someone called him on it.

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Davey probably would do nothibg, but who knows if any more runs would score. Knowing you always assume tge negative not surprised you think tgey score 4 more.Knowing I assume positive, i assume no more score and we win 7 -5.

77. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Rule of Thumb is to ignore people who use the word, "troll" on here.

78. Secret wasian man - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Yeah Brewers drinking their own BREW. If you catch my drift. But hey those people have the packers.

79. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Ignoring me? After 2 comments removed by the blog administrator?One can only hope.

80. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:05 PM

On the phone the web sights have almost no columns. Easier for me to make my own list.

81. A DC Wonk - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM

WODL:"Try arguing points versus …"All last thread I was "arguing points." It's absolutely the most I've posted in an in-game thread this entire year.

82. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM

OK…. It was raining here in Florida at 12:30 so I had to save the Brats till tomorrow. I say…..LET'S PLAY TWO!

83. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Unfortunately, in terms of dealing Soriano and Storen, we have to understand that they have both been underperforming. If Storen is going down to AAA tomorrow, that may make it difficult to deal him. Sometimes people just need a change of scenery. That is not uncommon. I just think Storen might be able to get his career on track better somewhere else.And for all those who claim to love the guy, maybe that should be the focus for Storen, not just what is best for the Nats.

84. JayB - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Knorr earned the job today with the move and the comment. Just what this team needs. We will rip off 8 of 10 after that comment.

85. baseballswami - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Wait- we won, so why are we cranky?

86. David Proctor - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Just saw a tweet:Things that should've happened: Bryce Harper saying "even my nephew could've held that lead."

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I see Freddy Gonzalez got tossed on a terrivle call by the umps.Like I ssid it seems at least 10 just terrible calls a week that could be fixed.

88. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM

You are right. Let's enjoy it. It has been since before the All star game so we forgot what it was like.

89. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM

we needed that!!!

90. baseballswami - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I love it that Knorr did not hesitate to make that decision- he just did not care if he ticked Sori off. There was a good intensity today . Lots of legging things out. I like it.

91. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM

JayB… we agree. Knorr will, hopefully, get the job. It's how Rizzo and Davey BOTH have set this up.Randy should be allowed to call the shots with Davey as a consultant for the rest of the year.

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM

My nephew could too

93. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Bryce's nephew just had his first birthday.

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Mine had his 50h

95. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Well played.David Proctor said… Just saw a tweet: Things that should've happened: Bryce Harper saying "even my nephew could've held that lead." July 25, 2013 5:11 PM

96. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Mine had his, um, 20th, I think.

97. MicheleS - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM

From 35000 feet above the earth!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFINNNNN HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! OMG What happened! I wason the layover and it was the bottom of the 8th, figured it was over and YET i log on on the plane 30 minutes later and it's a walk off…HOLY MOLY I missed a good one!Glad Knorr called out Sori, needed to happen.Anywho.. the wine will taste SO much better tonight with a Curly W

98. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Brewers scored 8 today only in the top of the 7th. Still losing 10-8

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM

My bad bottom of 7

100. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM

At some point, Michele, stop in to the small village of Tiburon and go to ANY of the restaurants on the water. It's just east of Sausalito on the north side of the Bay.

101. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Watching this Brewers/Padres game. It may just not be the Nats. The Padres don't seem to hold runners at all.

102. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Somebody needs to go pick JayB up off the floor.

103. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Just saw this in Mark's Tweeter update thingy on the top of the page. Fick was a juicer? Um, dude, you're doing it wrong.Former MLBer Robert Fick admits to steroid use http://cbsprt.co/19kPhXm via @cbssportsRetweeted by Mark Zuckerman

104. natsfan1a - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Welcome to the Mile High Winning Club, Michele. :-)

105. Section 222 - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:40 PM

It's a double Sweet Fancy Moses day! First the meltdown in the 9th. Then the Bryce walkoff. I do want to point out that SFM is not only used by Zuck. I searched the hashtag on Twitter and found this: Andy Thomas ‏@andy_says 22 JulDid I just see an olive garden commercial that had a meatball sub with Alfredo sauce? #sweetfancymoses

106. Whack-a-Mule - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Mule just back to the stable, after a rather odd afternoon at the ballpark. A.J. Burnett was superb, and efficient; 7 innings of one(earned)-run ball, while pitching out of a bases-loaded, no-out jam in the fifth with a 4-3 ground-out 2 backward K's (with a bit of help from Crew Chief Winters behind the plate; Davey ejected saving Desmond from he heave-ho).Gio was "workmanlike", adequate on a day when he lacked his best stuff.Lombardozzi was simply brilliant with the leather – an RBI-saving ribery of a Marte base hit; 2 more RBI's averted with a spectacular, flying unassisted double play on a line-drive by Alvarez in the 3rd. Lombo shone with the bat as well; 3-for-5 with 2 doubles, 2 runs scored and an RBI.Oh, and by the way, some guy named Harper had the last at-bat. :-)Ugly game; snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, after first snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

107. Secret wasian man - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM

David proctor from 5:11. Best comment of the year. Hahaha.

108. PChuck - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Knorr for interim manager!

109. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Congrats to Ian Krol for getting his first blown sve AND his first win (via the Vulture) of his career.

110. David Proctor - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM

111. Candide - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Watched and listened to the game between TV, MLB At Bat and the car radio while at home, the gym, and shopping. Figured they were going to throw the game away when they had the bases loaded with no outs and didn't score (yet again!), perked up when they went into the 9th with a 7-3 lead, shut it off in disgust at 7-7. Glad they won, but honestly, my heart can't handle this (bad word).

112. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said…Does anyone know what the differences are between the 1971 Nats' caps are and the current home Red caps? This sounds like a Mick question but he seems to have left to down a few in celebration….ha ah…you know me too well, I'm back 71 Nats cap almost identical to the home red cap of today…I want to say that 71 cap actually began around 1966 or 65?

113. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM

David true… it is time to win a game verse Harvey, just like teams have beaten Stras and J Zim

114. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I wish the name calling would stop…WOD's post are as insightful and enjoyable as anyone else. let's get off our high horses and let everyone be themselves…I thought that is what makes us different in our own way

115. MJR - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM

NatsJack, ROFL at your 5:34 post. Too funny!

116. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM

NatsJack, I had no problem with Krol as he threw a good pitch below the zone that was hit. That's all there is to it. Sometimes credit goes to the batter.Krol and Soriano threw outside pitches that were strikes earlier in the game and weren't later in the game. Go figure!http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/numlocation_io.php-pitchSel=571871&game=gid_2013_07_25_pitmlb_wasmlb_1&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=.gif

117. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM

David Proctor said… Sadly we have Matt Harvey tomorrow. We need to win the game that Harvey isn't starting.Nats won the last Harvey game. You have to pitch toe-to-toe with Harvey and beat the Mets bullpen, that's the formula.

118. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I'm behind on reading, who are the Nats bringing up as the 26th man for tomorrow's doubleheader?

119. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Ghost that is exactly the formula to beat Harvey

120. MicheleS - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

All we need to do with Harvey is get into the Mets bullpen. Seriously, I was at the game in NY at the end of June. Yup, Harvey is a beast, but you get into that bullpen and we can beat him.hmmm… lots of blog adminstrator deletes today. Thanks Mark for keeping it clean

121. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Whoever decided to pull Soriano made the right move even if Kroll gave up that game tying single.

122. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM

just my 2 cents…I alternate closers with Clip and Soriano..if Soriano has gone into the tank…then give Krol a shot to alternate..Matthews should be 7 or 8 inning reliever and I think long and hard about trading Storen

123. MicheleS - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I would think long and hard about trading Soriano… More value (well at least until today)

124. mick - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Michele.your probably right… in the long term… But I really think Drew needs change and that is not all is fault…I think by bringing in Soriano, Davey showed he did not have his back after game 5 . what is Drew's fault is that he did not step it up to prove Davey wrong

125. NatsLady - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Ghost, it is expected to be Ryan Mattheus. The question is who goes down?

126. baseballswami - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I think Abad. Not used much.

127. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Not sure if we can do without both Lefties… But yeah, it's a wonder…

128. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Re: Knorr's comments, I wonder what he would have said about Storen after yesterday(?)'s game. Johnson goes out of his way to avoid calling any of them out. That's one of his problems. The other is there's no one standing behind the worst offenders (e.g., Mr. 119 Pitches in 5+ Innings Geez, Skip, My Arm is Shot) able to do the job that needs to be done. Several guys satisfied with their nos. not realizing mediocrity won't win squat.

129. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Now that the Marlins have Yelich in the lineup with Stanton, they are a dangerous team.Be glad we've played them as much as we have.They're good.

130. jshai - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Soriano has been mediocre at best for several weeks. He was lucky they pulled him today.

131. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM

It really wouldn't bother me to explore what it would take to get Castellanos from Detroit even if it was Soriano and money.

132. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM

as far as I know, gio did his job. if you cannot close out four run lead without adventure, starter is not the problem.

133. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:13 PM

NatsJack, to play OF? or bench help?

134. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Faraz…. to play left field next year in a 4 man outfield rotation involving him, Bryce, Span and Werth.The Nats need another young power bat to go with Bryce.

135. 5c3cd06e-cef8-11e1-abe6-000bcdcb2996 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Mark shouldn't be deleting anyone's comments unless they are way out of line. Adults don't need uncle Mark removing posts.

136. baseballswami - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I am happy to see Stras in particular, and Gio to an extent, going back to strikeouts and away from contact , which really does work for Jordsn. But we have to remember that strike outs just take more pitches and you can't be as efficient. Today I feel that Gio was somewhat victimized by very good hitters with very good approaches at the plate. Things could have gone much worse for him, but the damage was mostly contained. I thought I saw more spark, more intensity and more dugout communication today. Not saying we are over the worst , but that ninth today was a gut check in many ways.

137. Another_Sam - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Don't want to jinx him. But Clip has quietly become the anchor of that pen. What a horse.

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Last time Harvey pitchef against us we won 5-4

139. Charles - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Am I the only one that thinks that Storen should be used when we're way up or down and shouldn't be used protecting a small lead?Storen should have been used today in the ninth.

140. biggoose - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM

One word for Davey : LOMBO.