Game 104: Mets at Nats

Jul 26, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

As if this afternoon's 11-0 thrashing at the hands of the Mets wasn't bad enough, now the Nationals have to come right back out and try to get back on track against All-Star Game starter Matt Harvey. With Bryce Harper out of the lineup.

Yep, Harper is sitting this one out after aggravating his left knee diving for Daniel Murphy's liner in the fifth inning of Game 1, according to Davey Johnson. He stayed in the game until the eighth, at which point he was replaced by pinch-runner Scott Hairston. So Steve Lombardozzi, who has five hits over the last 24 hours, gets the start in left field.

Ross Ohlendorf makes the spot start for the Nationals, perhaps an audition to see if he could join the rotation on a permanent basis with Taylor Jordan perhaps headed back to the minors in advance of his post-Tommy John shutdown. The veteran righty will have to be in top form tonight.

After a debacle like that first game, do the Nats even want to get back out on the field? "Yeah," Johnson said. "I'm actually glad we got another one tonight." We'll see how this plays out.

Updates to come…

NEW YORK METS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS (Game 2)
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Mostly clear, 81 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to CF

CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM

A poster in the previous thread wrote that s/he keeps watching out of 'horrid fascination' (or something to that effect). I guess I fall into the same category. Go Nats!

2. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:29 PM

William Ladson โ€@washingnats 13sI was told by two baseball people that #Nats RHP Drew Storen was still sick when he pitched in the first game of the Day-Night Doubleheader.That's really pretty messed up by Davey. I understand he couldn't stick with Mattheus and he wanted to save the A-bullpen, but why not put in Krol or something?

3. nats guy - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Eugene in Oregon,That was me and I live in Corvallis Oregon

4. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM

nats guy,Maybe it has something to do with the Pacific NW rain?

5. Secret wasian man - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM

This team is like road kill. You know it's gonna be hideous but you just can't help looking.

6. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM

You promised to go a month ago we all knew you couldnt.

7. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I didt DVR game. i cannot remember Harp diving. Can soneobe remind me.

8. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Where is Mick. I told him I wss willing to bet tge mortgage no no hitter tonight.

9. Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Manassas, I don't remember a dive this afternoon, either. He played one off the wall. He dove for one last night, and then an inning later there was another ball hit exactly the same way and Bryce played it on the bounce. He seemed like he may have aggravated it on that play last night. Johnson said he was going to watch him closer the other night. Lucky Span, eh? He gets to lead off again tonight. Too bad it's against Harvey.

10. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM

There was a play today where he fell kind of awkwardly for a ball. It was hit to the gap and he closed quickly and it wasn't a full out dive, but a full out dive probably would've been better because whatever he did caused him to land directly on his knee. I can't remember the batter though.

11. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Davey could have let Hairston pitch. That was some kind of sick joke with Storen. I wish you could sue for malpractice. I hope Rizzo accepts Davey's resignation on Monday.

12. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Yesterday it was the girst hit by marte he caught.Today long fly by Wright took him to the wall.

13. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Not riggering in my mind.

14. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM

My OSHA lawyer friend here for our class reunion tomorrow night said. Baseball because of anti trust crap is exempt. But in most industries intentionally making someone to work with documented illness is a line to avoid.

15. Just wonderin' - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Is Natslady turning on Davey after the post-all star break disaster kinda like Cronkite turning on the Vietnam War after the Tet offensive?

16. Dave - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Not really, Just wonderin''. NL has been quite critical of Davey many times here.

17. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:54 PM

18. Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM

On the Storen thing: Drew said he felt better. I guess Johnson took him at his word. Where did the 102* figure for his fever come from? 102 for an adult is serious stuff. I find it a little questionable. Maybe Drew had smoke coming out of his ears in response to his last couple of outings? I really expect for him to be sent down in the next 24 hours. Chalk one up for the "unmentionable one", as he predicted it would happen.

19. JayB - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM

told you he had lost it and he is too old.

20. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Drew's dad tweeted that Storen had a 102 degree temperature and was unpleased by Davey using him.

21. Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Just wonderin' I don't get where you're coming from. NatsLady wasn't ever real big in Davey's camp, even last year before the playoffs. That was a BS poke.

22. karlkolchak - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Regarding Storen and the flu…didn't Michael Jordan put up one of the all time great games of his life in the playoffs back in '97 while suffering from the flu (it may also have been food poisoning)? Here's the deal, if Storen is suited up and in the bullpen, he's available as far as the manager is concerned. If he really was that sick, he should not have been there.I'd just like to know whose call it was that he was there. If Storen said he was well enough to pitch, I do not blame Davey for using him.

23. karlkolchak - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Drew's dad is being VERY disingenuous for the reasons I mentioned above. Frankly, he ought to keep quiet until the facts are known.

24. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM

You have a point karlkochak. Drew was not even expected to get dressed for the game, but Davey said in the second inning he got dressed and the trainer told Davey he was feeling better. So if that's the case, it's not really on Davey. At the same time, there have been conflicting reports on how sick Storen really was.

25. Bono - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM

The stink..the stench…it's overwhelming.Get this dead carcass out of here.

26. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Soren said, "Skip, if you send me out I'm gonna puke on the mound." And Davey said, "So what's different?"

27. ExposedinDC - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Hardest job in Natstown …….FP Santangelo…he by nature is the most upbeat positive person I've seen….even he is struggling to stay positive

28. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Good line

29. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:10 PM

It was tweeted early,j FP old us etc. I said if true why was he out tgere at all.Totsl malpractice or not telling the ptess the truth.

30. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I was sure he was going to pull a Riggleman.

31. Just wonderin' - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Seamhead (and Natslady) – Cronkite comparison certainly wasn't meant to be a poke — more of a compliment. Even the most level-headed objective observes (Natslady = Cronkite here) eventually call it like it is — which is a powerful signal.

32. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Drew's dads opinion means less to me than simple common sense.My kid's employers occassional do stupid things but i dont tweet about it.

33. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM

If he is sick then the manager has to be smart enough to sen him home.

34. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Even after known keep quiet. I never wanted my dad in my business, nor do my kids want me in theirs

35. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I'm sure Drew does not appreciate his mom and dad tweeting about it.

36. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I understood different venues, but a useful analogy.Youvwere talk about tge job, not tge what was being reported.

37. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I would be pissed if my parents did.I would be pissed at myself for being so poor in July.

38. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Someone jog my memory.What Kerwin Danley do in the last monthcthat I was not happy with him about. Seems lije hecwas home plate ump then too.

39. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Ifcthat is harper and Ian its a triple.

40. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM

LaRoche had the flu and he suited up and he told Davey he could go if needed. Davey didn't, though I think he did pinch hit. Agree Drew's folks have no business going public w/ their complaint. Just a mess.

41. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Ugly, ugly, ugly game….. Just dispicable… I don't understand Storen going in at all….Unh unh unh..And Drew's parent shouldn't have opened there mouths… You never do that… Let your son be grown and the professional that he is…

42. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:27 PM

ALR did not pinch hit either last Friday or Saturday.

43. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Storen acting more adult then either parent.

44. paul brandt - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:29 PM

David Proctor said…It wasn't Harper at the wall. It was a different play in the gap today. I can picture is perfectly in my mind, but I can't recall who the hitter was.MNF, DP is right, it was an awkward kind of catch and he skidded on his knees…early on in the game, not sure who was AB tho.

45. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM

And after this… Someone will come out and school D Murphy and make him look like he belongs in triple A…. Gosh these Nats are aggravating…Love them to death and will continue to hold out hope until we are mathematically eliminated but they can rip in your heart in shreds…

46. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Mark Zuckerman โ€@ZuckermanCSN 46s#Nats have lost 13 of 15. Last time they lost 14 of 16? May '09. Some pitchers who lost during that stretch: G. Mock, K. Wells, S. Martis.Wow that's hard to believe.

47. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I must have looked away as that play rings no bell.

48. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM

BTW my son on the ball text me as he reads this but wont talk.Kerwin Danley called Harper out at home when clearly the tag was on chest. And legs safe.July 11 loss to phils 3-1

49. paul brandt - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM

it was more like he fell to his knees than skidded but it was an awkward catch, almost like he lost track of it…seemed harmless enough but that's the only play that comes to mind where he hit kind of hard.

50. Get Your Re(n)d On - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM

"David Proctor said… William Ladson โ€@washingnats 13s I was told by two baseball people that #Nats RHP Drew Storen was still sick when he pitched in the first game of the Day-Night Doubleheader. That's really pretty messed up by Davey. I understand he couldn't stick with Mattheus and he wanted to save the A-bullpen, but why not put in Krol or something?"Davey told Dave Jageler between games that in the second inning Storen got dressed, told the trainer he was good enough to pitch and went to the bullpen. In other words, he didn't call in sick, so why shouldn't Davey use him?

51. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:37 PM

One thing I want Schu to do for sure is to take care of the ALR shift. a few taps down the line for singles might break that up.

52. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Well we won't get no hit.

53. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Mick where are you? Sorry none of my mortgage for you.

54. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:40 PM

If Desi wants to be an ump become one. In the meantime advance base runners.He has been whining at the umps way too much this home stand.

55. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM

His pitching showed you why.

56. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I always had reservations about Davey, since Day 1. Everyone told me how smart he was so I figured what do I know and I tried to understand his moves. I was so mad the day he blew the 9 run lead, even though he "took responsibility," I have never seen a worse managed game (I was there). Still, everyone has an off day, so I still tried. I don't think he blew it in Spring Training, but he never instilled any urgency in the team, and he made a lot of in game blunders. I feel sorry for him. But I didn't want him humiliated. This afternoon I feel he humiliated a young man who was physically ill and mentally distressed. I am not a big Storen fan, you all know that I felt all along Clipp is the superior pitcher, not on raw stuff but on baseball IQ and toughness. Nevertheless, it is wrong on so many levels to treat Storen this way– letting him know publicly he could be sent down and then this. That is not a "players' manager."

57. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Desi has been whining at the umps more this homestand than I've ever seen him do it before. He's been right most of the time, but whining isn't going to help. It's just frustration boiling over.

58. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Clip has easily been best pitcher on tge staff.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Take it out on the opponent not the umps. That is how you take care of it.

60. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:46 PM

That is good hitting. At least 5 by the Mets right tgrough the box. Instead hit right at the SS.

61. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM

It must be cold at the stadium Julie dressed like it is 55.

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Buffalo.

63. paul brandt - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:54 PM

NL, love your posts and you have a good point but come on, if Storen can put on a uni, he can certainly get 2 outs in a mop-up effort…it wasn't like Davey was asking him to get 2 outs in a 1 run game…if i recall correctly, Jack Lambert played football with a broken leg…good golly, certainly Storen can get a few outs in a meaningless game vs. the Mets…and for mommy & daddy to chime in via twitter, well, that is just silly. I do think he should have been sent home but if he's there and in the BP, he can and should have been used.

64. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:54 PM

A runner left in scoring position? NO WAY.

65. do1teach1 - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:55 PM

JAGELER WINS ANTI-MURROW AWARDCBS News is reporting Nats' radio broadcaster has won the "Anti-Murrow" award for disengenuous reporting in 2013.Jageler won his award for his interview with Davey Johnson, in between games of a double-header, after the Nationals had just been humiliated by the pathetic New York Mets.In the interview, Jageler carefully avoided any questions about the plight of the club, their state of freefall, their absolute lack of fundamentals or concentration, and their "phone it in, play out the string" attitude. Listeners who were unaware of the 11-0 crushing the team had just suffered at the hands of another mediocre pitcher, would've thought Jageler was doing the interview after a routine loss–or even a win.Congratulations, Dave. Remember, always: never address core issues, and never ask tough questions!(Edward R. Murrow was an award-winning journalist, known for tough questions and honest reporting.)

66. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:56 PM

RISP 0 for 6 for the day.Wish they had a break down of RISP between wins and losses.

67. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM

We need to get to Harvey… Come on Nats…

68. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM

As I said no Woodward or Bernstein around here any more.

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Harvey was great in that skit.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:02 AM

What happened i replied to a note and tge note went.

71. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:04 AM

How much baseball did Murrow cover?

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Need one more K here Ross.

73. do1teach1 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Runner-up goes to tonight's TV skit between FP and the person referred to as "Wulie Walexandria" after she covered his desk with Mets stickers. Man you talk about sad. We can't even PAY people to pretend they're rooting for the Nats.Thanks, and congrats, Wulie.

74. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Less than Vin Scully.

75. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Lets he glad that stayed in the park…. Lombo should never play OF…

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Damn it Ross you leave the ball up what do you expect.McCatty not coaching. We never can give up the first run.

77. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM

The pitch was right where Buck wanted it. Willie Mays could be playing left and not catch that.

78. JayB - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Njack how does this story end?Does it just keeps getting played over and over or does it change and if sp how?

79. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Anyone know our record when opponent scores first?

80. do1teach1 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:11 AM

It must be weird to be a member of the Lerner family, watching the game on TV, learning your on-field broadcaster–your employee–is actively and vocally rooting for the other team.There is not ONE communications and media major from Georgetown, GW, Catholic, American, Howard, Maryland or UVA whom they could hire, who has an authentic interest in supporting the Washington Nationals?

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:11 AM

It will only change if the hitters decide to change it. RISP Mets 1 for 2. Nats 0 for 2

82. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Anyone going to the game tomorrow?

83. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Apperently not.They dumped Dibble in a heartbeat, who know if history repeats itself.

84. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM

That was ball 4…

85. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM

That popup looked like a rare meatball by Harvey. Zimmerman just got under it.

86. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM

If Mays had been playing in LF he wouldn't have broke in on the ball, and then gone towards CF. Lombo got a horrible jump, then had no chance.

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Werd hitting approach this homestand.Lots of 3-2 counts where we swing at ball 4.Lots of called 3rd strikes to.Seems once we get to Two strikes we are damned if we do or damned if we dont.

88. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM

We miss a lot like that.Our opponents dont miss many of our meatballs.

89. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Re: StorenIt's only fair. I've been getting sick watching him since Game 5.

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Lombo pkayed it bad, but it was more a liner.The pitch was more tge problen then tge LF.

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM

The president races are really becomibg stupid.

92. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Agreed that those ones hit on a line drive are tough to play, MSNF, but he isn't an outfielder.

93. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM

But a better jump, MnF, and Lombo could possibly be there… He played it all wrong….We have seen him play OF very adventurously…

94. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Now, that's an outfielder.

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Remember WODL thinks Span is not a good CF.

96. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Whew…..

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Maybe. The pitch was a bigger problem.

98. do1teach1 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Reuters is reporting (confirmed by MLB Network) that the Washington Nationals asked that the second game of this double-header not be played.

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM

WODL wants Span in left if any where.

100. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM

No doubt… The pitch was definitely the problem…

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:26 AM

What? I havent seen that, will have to check MLB network.

102. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Ross O has left the last few up…. Bring them back down, Ross….

103. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:26 AM

do1teach1 isn't being serious, MNF.

104. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I found it. It is true.

105. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:32 AM

First 2 at bats for Werth hits.First 2 this afternoin ge left a RISP both times.

106. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:33 AM

JayB….it's baseball. As far as I'm concerned, it ends when I die.I happen to have an appreciation for anyone that finds there way to the Major League level, especially those that treat the game with respect.

107. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:34 AM

It is RISP time 0 for 2 this game 0 for 6 for the day.

108. hiramhover - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Jayson, doing what he does.Desi, doing what he usually doesn't. Let's go Nats!

109. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM

"It's got to be a productive out, unless it's a hit."– Bob Carpenter, July 26, 2013, fifth inning.

110. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:36 AM

My grand daughter already gettingcready for softball. Hope the gane goes long after I die

111. hiramhover - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Whatever!

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Lombo who suppose to be a contact man.How the hell do you make contact on one a foot outside and 6 inches outside?

113. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM

I'll take runs however we can get it.

114. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Murphy was playing kick ball and threw it at Ramos.

115. SCNatsFan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Again our best offense is other teams committing errors.Tough time to be a Nats fan.

116. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I have my nightly errand (locking my church).You guys allow no runs while I am gone.)

117. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Wow FP just called Denard Span out. Span stopped running full speed on a play earlier and FP was upset over it. Saying that he hopes Ohlendorf running it out spreads to some other people in the 1B dugout is a shot at Span. Deserved, but still.

118. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Well said NatsJack @ 8:33 p.m., well said.

119. Knoxville Nat - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM

MNF,It appeared to me as if Harvey's pitch started out over the center portion of the plate and ran up and away from Lombo. Given how hard Harvey throws I would guess that the batter has very little time to read that movement.

120. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Hey, I feel no shame about getting runs on other teams errors. How many unearned runs have we given other teams?

121. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Damn, went to let the dog out….How did we score?

122. do1teach1 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM

While you're there, MNF, say a prayer for the Nats, to the Patron Saint of Lost Causes.Not kidding, not being irreverant. After all, FP is pinning our hopes for the season on the inspiration provided by journeyman Ross Ohlander running out a ground ball.Lost cause indeed.

123. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Werth single, Desmond walk. Ramos hit a double play ball, Murphy's throw hit Ramos, Werth scored.

124. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Thanks DP… Whoot-woooo!!!!

125. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Tanks, Eugene.

126. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM

That is not an error.

127. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:52 AM

And the "Tanks" is a remembrance of my late grandfather from Austria who took me to my first baseball game in 1949 in Milwaukee at old Boucher Field.

128. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:54 AM

That's Bouchert Field.

129. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I'm sick of Span, but in his defense, he's hit two balls very hard today (one earlier, one in this game) that have been caught.

130. do1teach1 - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Goodness gracious Span just hit that ball 380 feet to center! Wow. Thanks Mr. Rizzo!

131. SCNatsFan - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Rendon runs hard out of the box and he beats him

132. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Three hard hit balls in a row off Harvey.

133. James Joyce - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:59 AM

OK, not to be such a doom and gloom ranting guy here, but Nats management is about to quit on this 2013 club. They are not going to add anything (Hairston, a quesionable bench bat, was all they had in them). They might even sell a RP, who knows, but they are likely going to finish a distant 3rd. Turn out the lights, the party's over . . . I blame Rizzo. Guy's just not a winning GM.

134. Knoxville Nat - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Totally off topic here but a friend of mine in Virginia tells me that the Hagerstown Suns might be moving to Fredericksburg, is that true? I use to go to 4 or 5 Suns games a year when I lived in that area and can understand the owners wanting to move from that old stadium.

135. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Based on this year or last year?Stupid comment.

136. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:02 AM

That's an error. The first one wasn't.

137. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Hey Knoxville Nat. What you hear is true.

138. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Yeah, Span just totally sucks.

139. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I really wish we had a version of Span who could hit.

140. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Why is nobody up in the bullpen when Ross O is clearly exhausted?

141. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM

What a performance. Davey got very lucky that Ohlendorf got out of that though.

142. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM

To end up that far out it was outside to start with, and even stright irt wss high.

143. Knoxville Nat - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Municipal Stadium in Hagerstown goes back to the late 1940's if I remember. I've read that Willie Mays played there at one time, not sure if it was in the minors for the Giants or maybe in the old Negro Leagues as they were called. Use to hang out down the third base line on "Thirsty Thursday's" when draft beers were only a $1.00!

144. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Ross O – man of the game…now score some runs!!!

145. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:14 AM

st. Of bad hitters got my prayers.

146. hiramhover - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Hats off to Ross. A great effort.

147. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Davey is hanging out Ohlendorf out to fail and he comes through anyway.Great job Ross.

148. Amr Khani - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Well said David. Pretty sure Davey's going to say something like "I wanted to give him a chance to get a win".

149. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:15 AM

What he failed to tell you Turner made a great play to stsrt with. Murphy had all dsy and hevrushed it.

150. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Knoxville Nat yes indeed "say hey" sure did play there!

151. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Dave said both were errors in his book. Got back in time for Wright's pop up

152. hiramhover - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Now get him in!

153. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Ross and Taylor should be 4 and 5 the rest of the wayharen can long relief

154. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Desi's in a slump. ALR is in a slump. Those two in a slump = no offense. Werth is doing everything he can though.

155. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Remember Ross O was another one o those signed by Rizzo.

156. hiramhover - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Argh. Tough to see Jayson's efforts wasted like that.

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Phil Wood said that a few weeks back.

158. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Shhhh MNF. We're not allowed to give Rizzo credit for anything. We have to make some references to his baldness while throwing in petty insults.

159. Knoxville Nat - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:21 AM

MNF,Ross O also gives the Nats a better return on their investment than Haren.

160. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:22 AM

He would be called Willie Mays. No span not that good a fielder, but is very good.

161. SCNatsFan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:22 AM

One thing that is for sure, since the Nats fell off the cliff the tone in here is miserable

162. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Easily.

163. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:23 AM

They reversed the first error on Zimm. Rightfully, IMHO.

164. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Desmond's bes at bat tonight is his walk. To double plays were first swings.Now they stsrt with a hit can clip get a double play.

165. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Mays was arguably the best outfielder I ever saw.

166. Knoxville Nat - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Smart ball time for the Mets?

167. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Well Clip matches Harvey.

168. hiramhover - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Actually I'm finding the tone tonight much better. No WODLmort.

169. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Attention, Messrs. Collins and Johnson:It's called bunting.You both ought to try it sometime.

170. Knoxville Nat - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM

No argument from me Seamhead. He and the late Roberto Clemente the best I ever saw.

171. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM

ok, if we are tied going into the 9th, please do not bring in Soriano!!!

172. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM

If nothing changes between now and the end of the year, I would vote Tyler Clippard MVP of the team.

173. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Tyler Moore has got his average up to .301 at AAA.

174. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Knoxville is actually the name of a neighborhood near Hagerstown, right on the the border between Frederick and Washington Counties. The Suns have a great ballpark and a great name but it probably is not amenity friendly. This means that it is great for watching games, but doesn't have playgrounds for children and state of the art speakers for blaring music and no box seats for rich people. I hope the Suns stay. Their park is much better than the Keys'.

175. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:30 AM

MNF, agree Clip = MVP no brainer to date.

176. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I flicked over to the O's game to check score. We have made more money for Care First with more walks.

177. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Span's obp dipping again. Odds are high that Mr. "I can't run out my GDP's" will be playing elsewhere soon….

178. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:32 AM

MNF, 5th inning – Murphy – when Harper "banged" his knee as Carp called it…if you didn't hear it.

179. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:32 AM

That play, i do remember not what I call a slide, more just a glide at most.

180. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Tyler Moore probably couldn't do any worse than La Roxhe at this point, but if it is a curveball issue, that isn't going away that quick….

181. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Just saw it. He ran in that was a nothing play to me.

182. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:34 AM

"Chris Davis fuming after Laz Diaz called him out on pitch outside the strike zone."Lol some things don't change.

183. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:37 AM

MNF, agree but with a bum knee it can only aggravate it.

184. Knoxville Nat - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:37 AM

WODL,I remember buying a box seat in Hagerstown several times and I am by no means "rich". You are entitled to your opinion but as for me I prefer the Keys stadium in Frederick. And I suspect that a lot of the Suns desire to move is related more to the lack of adequate facilities for the players and coaches in the club house than it is the fans comfort and experience.

185. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:38 AM

0-8 today, but he makes up for it with his glove.

186. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Here comes Soriano…

187. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Soriano got all the crap out of him yesterday.

188. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Maybe Randy Knorr motivated Soriano

189. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:40 AM

You hate him in CF so it doesnt count.

190. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:41 AM

RG III had a bum knee, Harper I would say more a sore one.

191. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I don't know the in's and out's of the amenities offered. I just like Hagerstown better, even though Frederick is slightly closer.. People who like going to Frederick, tend not to like Hagerstown, and vice versa. If a person preferred Memorial Stadium, then maybe that person might like Hagerstown. I like ballparks in neighborhoods and I like old things and I hate blaring music and playgrounds at the ballpark. I go to watch baseball, but I realize that I am in the minority these days.

192. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:42 AM

horrible location Soriano at 2-1…please find a buyer for him, dude, is lost.

193. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I like the old organ music

194. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I never said I hated Span in center field. I said that Harper has the potential to be better in center field. If Span had been the final piece of the puzzle, that would be one thing but what a cruel joke. But to be fair, Span has a higher obp than the Mets lead-off guy Lagares, and Lagares is one of the top prospects in all of MLB.

195. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Tigers.He didnt get ahead of first batter FP

196. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Something I've noticed about Soriano: he can't command the slider well this year. He's thrown a couple of good ones (a great one struck out McCutchen yesterday), but on the whole he either hangs it or yanks it into the dirt. The slider was always his out pitch. Without it, he's mostly fastball cutter. It's enough to get by, maybe, but it makes it a whole lot harder.

197. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…RG III had a bum knee, Harper I would say more a sore one.MNF, not being argumentative but for a "sore" knee he missed an awful lot of baseball, wasn't it like a month? that is not a sore knee.

198. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:46 AM

You never said potential you said Harper should be the CF because he was better

199. Knoxville Nat - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Trust me, Hagerstown has small club houses, players on top of each other before and after a game, inadequate locker rooms, old plumbing. I use to really enjoy going there to see a game but one ownership group after another has tried to get the city to improve or upgrade the facilities with only minimal success.

200. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:47 AM