Instant analysis: Mets 11, Nats 0

Jul 26, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

Game in a nutshell: Hours after an inspiring, walk-off victory, the Nationals opened a day-night doubleheader against the Mets and put forth one of their worst efforts of the season. Jordan Zimmermann labored during 6 2/3 innings, serving up a pair of early homers to Daniel Murphy. The Nationals lineup was completely shut down by Jenrry Mejia, making his first big-league start of the season. And then things really got ugly in the top of the ninth. Ryan Mattheus, making his first appearance since breaking his hand more than two months ago, was charged with three runs. Drew Storen, battling the flu, then gave up three runs on four pitches, including a two-run homer to Ike Davis. The Nats were blown out before an increasingly hostile crowd and now have to take the field again in two hours to face New York ace Matt Harvey. A loss tonight would leave the Nationals and Mets tied for third/fourth place in the NL East.

Hitting lowlight: Facing a guy making his first big-league start of the season and only the seventh big-league start of his career, the Nationals put forth another feeble performance at the plate. TheyRead more ยป

1. ExposedinDC - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Rock……meet bottom

2. hiramhover - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Feel bad for Drew- only a triple short of piching for the cycle.

3. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM

As ineffective — call it bad, inconsistent, frustrating, whatever — as the pitching was, the failure to score even a single run was more indicative of this team's 2013 struggles. Scoring zero runs in nine innings will win you very, very few ballgames.

4. Tcostant - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM

You know this game should have been started at noon or 12:30pm; they have a game in two hours.If your going to the game tonight be prepared to sit on someone else garbage, because they is no time to clean. Shortsighted…

5. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Storen's mom and dad both had some tweets expressing displeasure with Davey putting Drew out there. Apparently, Drew has a 102 degree temp.

6. Tcostant - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Zimmermann is not the same since bailing on the All-star game.Storen, see you in September when 25 man roster expands.

7. Stew Magnuson - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

It's almost enough to make me want to go back to being a Cubs fan. Almost

8. JaneB - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

As bad as this all is, the thing that worries me is Jordan pitching like he does. And where do they get off sending Drew out there at all, instead of home? It's bad.

9. Clip&Store - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Any moron out there who seriously thought yesterday was anything more than an inevitable win is as foolish as the genius who gave a top 40 prospect for Span and destroyed the chemistry from last year.

10. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

If was really sick why was he there. Most peopke with 102 temp are in bed.

11. NCNatsie - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Maybe what we need is a fight song. Here's one, sung by the Nats Insider Chorus.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJmuEqbvviw

12. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:57 PM

One sure thing. I believe Strasburg has returned to the real number 1 pitcher again.Unless of course it is Ross O

13. TexNat - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:57 PM

HH bringing the gallows humor.

14. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

HH Drew's folks would not like thatha ha ha

15. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Nats Talk tomorrow could be interesting with Phil and Mike

16. phil dunton - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Bring back H-Rod and Manny Acta!

17. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM

philno matter how bad it gets and I admit it is really badNoooooooooooooooooooooooo

18. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM

poor Davey looks like he is going to the gallows

19. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM

WOW! Like JaneB said, have JZ visit a specialist!

20. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Ask about Storen?

21. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Davey makes Norv Turner sound alivelol

22. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Damn ask about Storen. Arggggggg

23. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM

MNFyour rightbrain dead reporters or they are gutless, probably both

24. phil dunton - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM

No questions about Storen. Amazing!

25. nats guy - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Pretty piss poor.

26. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Davey looked lost. Maybe he is the one with the flu.Losing 11-0 never bothers me like the first 2 Dodger games.

27. VP81955 - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Nationals baseball…the non-walking dead.

28. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM

JZ was fine, I thought. No, it wasn't his best performance ever, but he pitched 6 2/3 and allowed what? 3 runs? He struck a bunch of guys out, so his stuff was fine. It's not his fault that the offense sh*t the bed AGAIN.

29. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM

It was the only question to ask as if he did have a ,102 empature then it is reckless regard to his players.

30. kc21 - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Doesn't matter how our starters pitch now. Last time I checked, you can't win any games scoring 0 runs.

31. kc21 - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

32. Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

There is no positive from this game. Somebody had to pitch the last two innings. We were out of it long before Mattheus or Storen came in. There was no sense in burning anybody else in the the first game of a double header. If Drew Storen really had a temp of 102, that's criminal on Johnson's part.Concerning Jordon Zimmerman, I love the guy, but I think there is plenty to be concerned about. Sure, he got a lot of K's, but he seems to have gotten the loss of focus that has infected so many others on this team. In his last 2 starts he's pitched 8.2 innings and given up 12 earned runs. In his last 5 starts he has pitched 26 1/3 innings and given up 21 earned runs. (7.18 ERA over his last five starts).Well, we just looked at the traffic jams on Google maps.Can't make ourselves fight it tonight. Gonna lay around the shanty, Mama, and put a good buzz on.

33. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Davidagreed, I thought J Zim was fine and should not have come out for the 7th…it was not his best outting but it was good enough to win

34. nats guy - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Who is running this mess. Lerners must be beside themselves right now. I would not want to be Mike Rizzo today. I feel very sorry for all of us connected to the Nats. Not a good time.

35. natsfan1a - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Ugh. I don't think I can watch another one today. Will DVR it, though. On the plus side, I did get my 50% off pizza from yesterday's score, so there's that. Pizza for dinner. Woo. Hoo.

36. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Joe Smaybe a concern on J Zim, but I really did not think he was that bad

37. natsfan1a - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Just read the comments. If that's true about the fever, does seem strange to have Storen in the 'pen let alone in the game. AFLAC?

38. Clip&Store - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM

NCNats – That song sounds like something from church

39. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Just did a quick count. Nats have now scored zero runs in 10 games and only one run in 18 games. Those are 28 games in which you have almost no chance of winning (they won one 1-0 game). There have been another 19 games in which the Nats scored only two runs; they won four of those.

40. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Eugenethose are 1962 Mets numbersughhhh

41. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM

was that Nats worse loss since 2009 or 2010?

42. Mr Baseball - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

When are FP, Bob, Johnnie and Ray going to stop making excuses for this team. QUOTE – They are facing very good pitching staffs! I think all teams facing the teams the Nats are playing are facing the same staffs. Excuse after Excuse! This bunch needs a good kick in the butt, but this will never happen with Davey at the helm and he's here for the remainder of the year. Also, they showed Drew in the bull pen, sitting by himself and FP and Bob stated he had the flu. Question; why we even put him in the game? Keep wearing your red, the Jr. Phillies (Nats) are dead!!!

43. Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Guys, 5 earned runs in 6 2/3 innings against this line up is " not that bad"? Grooving not one, but two meatballs to Daniel Murphy? I'm not saying he was totally awful, but this isn't an isolated game. He hasn't been the guy we saw earlier this season in 4 out of his last five starts.

44. nats guy - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Even the 2006 and 2007 teams were more interesting than this. I watch them in horrified fascination. I goota stop.

45. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM

The MASN guy right now just nailed it… great summary on the 2013 season and spot on

46. natsfan1a - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Thanks for sharing the link, Natsie. I'd been wondering when the video would come out. Quite a talented group of songsters and it looks like a good time was had by all.NCNatsie said… Maybe what we need is a fight song. Here's one, sung by the Nats Insider Chorus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJmuEqbvviw July 26, 2013 4:55 PM

47. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM

some one said it best a few days ago, the only song for the Nats should be Taps

48. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM

better yet"Nearer my God to thee"that was the song the band played as the Titanic sunklol

49. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM

50. mick - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM

you could put a sinking yacht on the Anocostia River with Rizzo and Davey singing the duet

51. pedrocerrano - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Drew should have been chained to his bed for the last 9.5 months

52. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM

How 'bout sending both Mattheus and Storen down after tonight?

53. Section 109 DC - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM

All I can imagine is that Drew knew the bullpen was shortstaffed with two games to play in one day,and that he volunteered–said he was okay for one inning. This poor team. They're all probably desperately trying to do anything to play well, so they do things like pitch with a fever of 102. They need our support at the season ticket holder event tomorrow.

54. do1teach1 - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM

The Beatles could contribute a two-sided .45 for the Nats' theme song: "Misery" b/w "I'm a Loser."

55. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:35 PM

He allowed 5 not 3. That is tge difference between Ok and not.

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Cant lose if you give up 0 eirher.Asinconsistent as we hit our pitchers aren't good enough.Ith the way we hit, pitching has to better than hall of ame like.

57. do1teach1 - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Man, this is clearly driving some posters to drink.

58. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM

The first 6 innings were Ok.But way too many pitches in those 6 innings.

59. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I don't understand why we can't take advantage of opportunities. We put men on base. We had 8 hits, which isn't awful. But when we had RISP, we did absolutely nothing. It doesn't make sense.

60. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM

If I was the Lerners I would be pissed.Wait a minute I am not a Lerner and I am still pissed.

61. Unknown - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Absolute. Mid. E. Ry. Good night, Nats, you suck and your season is OVER! Thanks for nothing!

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I still have 2 games to go.

63. Section 222 - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM

64. do1teach1 - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM

To paraphrase Upton Sinclair in The Jungle, "It's like our hopes were buried in separate graves."

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Reverse of rolls Mick more than positive than me. I though JZim was mediocre at best.Bottom line none of our starters can give up the first run and expect to win. So as soon as batter 2 homers, I am not thrilled with the pitcher.

66. pwilly - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM

That's as low as I've seen Davey in the post game presser. Of course this is as bad a stretch he's had with the Nats. Kind of makes me wonder if he's going to last the season if things don't turn around.

67. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I said Davey if it is true, is guilty of total disdregard to his employee, which is not a good thing. Just as bad, not on question at tge presser about it. That to me was my first and only question.Whete are Woodward and Bernstein.First no question of Diaz, now no asking Davey an obvious question.

68. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Diaz doesn't have to answer questions and never made himself available to the media. Coward.

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I have the running stat of that.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I would have to look that up but i bet the pitxhibg was 62 Mets bigger issue.

71. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM

We need to consider the possibility that Z'mann has plateaued and is never going to be the elite pitcher some have imagined. He went through a similar stretch last year, rebounded mid-August to mid-September, then washed out the end of the season and espec. the playoffs.Or, he's figured out where this season is headed and day-dreaming about deer season.

72. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Well I can't speak to whether or not Zimmermann is going to be elite or not. I will say, I think we have the best #3 pitcher in all of baseball, without question.

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM

No.Braves game last year when we led 9-0 and it was raining.Game 5 because they were leading into tge 9th to win the series were both worse.

74. karlkolchak - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Theophilus T. S. – wonderful idea. So, who you gonna bring up to replace them? Because I don't think Erik Davis and Xavier Cedeno are going to be much of an improvement.

75. Unknown - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM

JZim is injured. Oh, and to make this day even more special, Harper reinsured his knee. Let him totally heal on DL, no reason now to keep playing to become RGIII all over again…

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM

If he really is dick he is not really helpibg by pitchibg ineffectively.

77. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I was sure you were going to use a beatle song like Fool on a hill backed bt Ticket to Tide.

78. karlkolchak - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM

David Proctor – Sorry, I'd take Shelby Miller 10 times out of 10 over J-Znn. That kid is an ace pitching out of the 3 hole.

79. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM

You know that is one thing I hate about tge MLB administrators. If your umps are as great as the players they don't nerd protection

80. Dave - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Wow. I've been in a seminar all day and only followed the game on the At Bat app. What a wreck!I agree with you all: I was a tiny bit surprised, event, to see Drew still on the active roster and not in Syracuse after the last few outings. But to our him out there sick? Incredible!But as to Jordan Z, Theo, I recall him shutting down the Cardinals in relief during the playoffs last year. Did I miss something? Where was his playoff wash-out?

81. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM

He got blown out in the game he started in the playoffs. The Cardinals have always had his number though, so I don't know how much that had to do with it.

82. karlkolchak - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Dave – Jordan's start in the NLDS was a disaster. Five earned runs in three innings. Had he pitched better, maybe game 5 doesn't even happen.

83. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Oh yay, Lombardozzi in LF tonight.

84. Secret wasian man - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Is Davey so stubborn that he won't quit? Does he really think this team needs him. Span Sorry oh no and ALR can't get out off here quick enough.

85. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I would take Scherzer, Miller, Ryu and Matt Moore over Zimmermann. They all have much better stuff.

86. Secret wasian man - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Zimm came in game 4 in relieve and struck out the side.

87. Secret wasian man - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Get off the playoffs. Cardinals a veteran team who were facing young inexperienced pitchers. If you want to kill anybody kill Davey for nor pulling drew at 7 7 score

88. Secret wasian man - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:13 PM

If we score even 3 and lose then let's talk pitching. But until then why beat a dead horse. Just pathetic.

89. Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM

David Proctor, do you have the line up for game 2 ?

90. natsfan1a - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I don't know, sec222. Seeing it after the game gave me a little bit of a boost. Maybe because it gives a sense of the community that has grown up around this blog. Section 222 said… Congrats and thanks to NC Natsie. Not a great day to debut the video, but some things can't be helped. July 26, 2013 5:41 PM

91. karlkolchak - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:15 PM

You though it could get any worse than this afternoon's game. You were wrong. From Zuckerman's Twitter feed:"Harper not in Game 2 lineup for #Nats after aggravating L knee diving for ball in Game 1."

92. natsfan1a - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:16 PM

He and Stammen were both studly out of the 'pen, if memory serves.Secret wasian man said… Zimm came in game 4 in relieve and struck out the side. July 26, 2013 6:10 PM

93. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I don't think Harp's injury is serious. He wasn't limping or anything. I think he just aggravated it and Davey wants to play it safe.At least that's the hope.

94. natsfan1a - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Plus, evidently a pigeon flew through the press box. It also should have pooped on someone to really put the icing on the, er, cake. :-)karlkolchak said… You though it could get any worse than this afternoon's game. You were wrong. From Zuckerman's Twitter feed: "Harper not in Game 2 lineup for #Nats after aggravating L knee diving for ball in Game 1." July 26, 2013 6:15 PM

95. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Clippard struck out the side too. Wasn't it like 8 in a row on strikeouts?

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I remember diving yesterday. Remind when did he dive today. He slightly bumped tge wall. But a dive.

97. natsfan1a - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM

That's right, David. Had to go look it up. Still haven't watched a replay. I DVR it but don't get around to watching it and end up deleting it to make room for more recordings.

98. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Is Storen good for game 2?

99. Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I just saw the line up on Mark's twitter update. Span leading off, Rendon back in. Lombo in LF. Oh, joy.

100. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Storen better not be good for any game the rest of the season, as far as I'm concerned.

101. karlkolchak - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM

So, no Harper in the lineup, Span back in the leadoff spot, a pitcher who until a six weeks ago was completely washed up on the mound, just got their butts kicked 11-0 in the afternoon contest, going up against Harvey–karma couldn't be any worse for this game.Which is why they will probably win. The baseball gods do seem to enjoy their practical jokes since they play them all the time.

102. Secret wasian man - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM

No harp. Oh so now Davey is concerned for the well being of a player? Man is Storen gettIng with his daughter?

103. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM

New post.

104. Secret wasian man - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Yes proctor. If you recall game 5 minus Storen, it was the veteran pitchers who stunk. GIO and Haren oops I mean Edwin.

105. Secret wasian man - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Not looking for a win. Looking for a run or dare I say it even 2. World war Z movie looks good.

106. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM

If he sick i find that total disregard to health of an employee. One of my friends who is OSHA top lawyer said good thing baseball has the anti trust clause or it could be an actual OSHA xase except no baseball player would want to appear like a wimp.Either way why pitch a sick person.Totally stupid.

107. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Circumstabces sure look bleak. Easy win.

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Can someone remind me of Harper's dive?

109. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Karolchak — Davis and Cedeno weren't in my mind; Barrett, Karns might be better. The point isn't who's better but who could be worse? These guys combined have an ERA of 6. No one in this organization experiences any consequences for sucking.

110. biggoose - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM

The only real bright spot has been Lombardozzi. The more he plays the more he produces. We left him stranded on 3rd twice with less than 2 outs today. This is pathetic.