Jul 26, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: Hours after an inspiring, walk-off victory, the Nationals opened a day-night doubleheader against the Mets and put forth one of their worst efforts of the season. Jordan Zimmermann labored during 6 2/3 innings, serving up a pair of early homers to Daniel Murphy. The Nationals lineup was completely shut down by Jenrry Mejia, making his first big-league start of the season. And then things really got ugly in the top of the ninth. Ryan Mattheus, making his first appearance since breaking his hand more than two months ago, was charged with three runs. Drew Storen, battling the flu, then gave up three runs on four pitches, including a two-run homer to Ike Davis. The Nats were blown out before an increasingly hostile crowd and now have to take the field again in two hours to face New York ace Matt Harvey. A loss tonight would leave the Nationals and Mets tied for third/fourth place in the NL East.
Hitting lowlight: Facing a guy making his first big-league start of the season and only the seventh big-league start of his career, the Nationals put forth another feeble performance at the plate. TheyRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent