Jul 26, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Major-league clubs are allowed to add an extra, 26th man for doubleheaders, and the Nationals couldn’t have asked for better timing in that regard today, with Ryan Mattheus ready to return from a broken right hand.
Mattheus, on the 15-day disabled list since he broke that hand punching his locker May 19 in San Diego, was officially activated before the first game of today’s day-night doubleheader against the Mets. He’s available to pitch in both games, and manager Davey Johnson plans to use him if the situation arises.
“It was a long time off,” Mattheus said. “It’s tough to sit back and watch the games from that perspective. It’s just great to know that I can go out there and contribute today. So yeah, it’s an amazing feeling being back.”
The right-hander was understandably embarrassed by the nature of his injury, and he had to spend the last two months watching the Nationals struggle as penance for his mistake.
“The nature of my injury — knowing that it was self-inflicted — and then seeing the struggles that this team’s going through, it’s tough to deal with. But hopefully I’ll be back and contribute and we can turn this thing around.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game