Jul 26, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Major-league clubs are allowed to add an extra, 26th man for doubleheaders, and the Nationals couldn’t have asked for better timing in that regard today, with Ryan Mattheus ready to return from a broken right hand.
Mattheus, on the 15-day disabled list since he broke that hand punching his locker May 19 in San Diego, was officially activated before the first game of today’s day-night doubleheader against the Mets. He’s available to pitch in both games, and manager Davey Johnson plans to use him if the situation arises.
“It was a long time off,” Mattheus said. “It’s tough to sit back and watch the games from that perspective. It’s just great to know that I can go out there and contribute today. So yeah, it’s an amazing feeling being back.”
The right-hander was understandably embarrassed by the nature of his injury, and he had to spend the last two months watching the Nationals struggle as penance for his mistake.
“The nature of my injury — knowing that it was self-inflicted — and then seeing the struggles that this team’s going through, it’s tough to deal with. But hopefully I’ll be back and contribute and we can turn this thing around.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss