Jul 26, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Major-league clubs are allowed to add an extra, 26th man for doubleheaders, and the Nationals couldn’t have asked for better timing in that regard today, with Ryan Mattheus ready to return from a broken right hand.
Mattheus, on the 15-day disabled list since he broke that hand punching his locker May 19 in San Diego, was officially activated before the first game of today’s day-night doubleheader against the Mets. He’s available to pitch in both games, and manager Davey Johnson plans to use him if the situation arises.
“It was a long time off,” Mattheus said. “It’s tough to sit back and watch the games from that perspective. It’s just great to know that I can go out there and contribute today. So yeah, it’s an amazing feeling being back.”
The right-hander was understandably embarrassed by the nature of his injury, and he had to spend the last two months watching the Nationals struggle as penance for his mistake.
“The nature of my injury — knowing that it was self-inflicted — and then seeing the struggles that this team’s going through, it’s tough to deal with. But hopefully I’ll be back and contribute and we can turn this thing around.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion