Game 105: Mets at Nats

Jul 27, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

The last 48 hours for the Nationals have been one wild and crazy time. Two walkoff wins bookending a lopsided loss and some postgame comments by Tyler Clippard that will surely reverberate through the clubhouse.

The Nats have yet another chance today to build off a dramatic, 'could this be the one' win. Lately their response to such victories has been rather flat, just look at their 11-0 loss yesterday in the first game of the doubleheader.

Today they face Dillon Gee (7-7, 4.07 ERA) who has already beaten the Nats three times this season. He pitched 5 2/3 scoreless innings on April 21, seven innings of one-run ball on June 5, and six innings with one earned run on June 29.

Dan Haren (4-11, 5.79) will pitch against the Mets for the second time this year. He got shelled for five earned runs in four innings on June 5.

Stay tuned for updates…

RF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond
CF Denard Span
C Wilson Ramos
RHP Dan Haren

1. Section 222 - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Seems like another reverse lock to me!

2. SCNatsFan - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Easy way for Storen not to get sent down. Stop letting teams hit 300 against you.

3. NatsLady - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Well, they've seen Dillon Gee enough to have him figured out, right? Right?

4. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Clip may be only the first to vent publicly..I suspect many others may follow if the team keeps losing….if Harp and Stras start exploding publicly, the team will implode into 2014

5. SonnyG10 - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Back when Mike Rizzo let Willingham and Adam Dunn go, I realized he would not be senamental and keep well liked players on the team if there were better options to make the team better. I thought to myself at the time that he's probably going to upset me by letting one of my favorites go sometime in the future. I then thought its good that he can do that and that I would not be a good GM because I would not be able to do that so easily. Well, sure enough, Rizzo has sent down two of my favorites in Danny Espinosa and Drew Storen and I feel like there has been a death in the family. Both Danny and Drew were hurting the team and need to get fixed, so I swallow my feelings. I appreciate having a tough GM.

6. SonnyG10 - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM

…sentimental…

7. natsfan1a - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM

In the immortal words of Bryce Harper, let's go!

8. SCNatsFan - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Yo know mick I don't care. These same guys venting are the same ones being embarrassed on the field. What is Rizzo supposed to do, stand pat and watch the team get three hits a night while relievers watch guys run like a carousel around the bases? Vent when a player gets sent down who is performing; vent if Ohlendorf gets sent down because he isn't the sexy player while outperforming these superstars.More winning will solve everything. That's on the players.

9. Les_in_NC - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Why would (or why should) Harper or Stras be upset about this? They have seen the affects that Storen has been having on the games this year. They know just as well as everyone else that that is baseball business. Storen is Clippard's best bud, so I give him a pass for being upset. Nobody is to blame for Storen lack of success this year except Storen. Sure, Davey could have used him differently, but it all comes down to performance and Storen hasn't performed, 'nuff said.

10. Les_in_NC - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Well said, SCNatsFan.

11. NatsLady - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Les, I totally agree (and said that in the previous post). They watched Storen blow several games, not just one. They knew Danny was a hole in the line-up. If they don't know the difference between being patient with a guy who's in a slump but has steady career norms, and sending a guy for a needed tune-up in Syracuse, then the vets will explain it to them.

12. Kevin X - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Clippard is not being embarrassed on the field, SCNatsFan. He has been a stalwart of the Nationals, including a pretty fantastic run of late.

13. Kevin X - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:04 PM

And he is certainly correct that management really messed with Storen's head.

14. sjm308 - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Mick – I was probably one of those who was not crazy about your choice of words – dishonesty in sports is a fine line. When I would be upset with either Davey or Rizzo is if I found out they said one thing to a player in confidence and then did something else without explaining it. I doubt very much that with all the questions they both get asked that they have been totally honest to the public and I don't think they have to be. The sports of football and hockey are constantly sending out incorrect data on injuries and its just accepted. What is said in private is more important then what Davey says after a win or loss to a bunch of reporters. Does Davey misspeak? Hell yes, he is famous for it. But is he dishonest? I doubt it.

15. NatsLady - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Clip has been on the team a long time (including that he was sent down to convert from starter to reliever, which did not please him at all.) He knows Rizzo well. I could wish he stated his concerns privately, but he was in an emotional situation. Believe me, worse things have been said! In the end, he knew Storen wasn't cutting it this year, for whatever reason.

16. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM

17. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Another team trots out another AAA pitcher whom the Nats will proceed to treat — as they did earlier this season — like Tom Seaver. About Ohlendorf, this is not the same pitcher who was last in the majors w/ SD (or whomever) or even the one in Spring Training this year. This Ohlendorf has rediscovered velocity which, w/ his funky motion, makes him a Livo with speed. Good formula for his success. Noteworthy that Johnson considered Ohlendorf w/ a high pitch count more reliable than Gonzalez. Clippard's defense of Storen is admirable but Storen also threw every single one of those pitches that ended up in the seats. A player being paid $2.5MM needs to have enuf sense to keep his composure and not spin his head around like Nook LaLoosh. I have no problem w/ Clippard's vent. I expect there are a number of players (mostly relievers) who were irked at the money Rizzo threw at Soriano. An abscess doesn't heal until it is lanced. It has less to do w/ Soriano's performance (tho I have issues with that) as it does w/ a sort of cock-eyed set of priorities for spending money. It further validates my sense that there are a no. of players with "focus" (read, "mental") problems underlying their poor performance. For example, how aggravating must it have been for players to watch Rizzo, Johnson, et al, coddle Rodriguez and Espinosa, whose poor performance was endangering the whole season, or consenting to extended periods in which Zimmerman and Harper were allowed to drag the team down so they could "play through" performance-robbing injuries — even if these players were "loved" by their teammates. Or, how must have it seemed to watch Johnson trot Suzuki out there day after day without respite (even Will Nieves played more than Solano) while his BA plunged? I think Johnson has earned nearly as much of this season's record as his under-performing, high paid "stars."

18. Get Your Re(n)d On - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Joe Seamhead said… One had to wonder what the harmonious Natstown was going to implode into backstabbing and pettiness.I guess it all starts now! I seem to recall the Bronx Zoo Yankees doing pretty well back in the day. Next year, a new slogan to replace Natitude: The Nationals Zoo. It ain't about the pandas any more.

19. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Re-reading my comment I am reminded of something John Thompson, Jr., said often on his radio show; "You treat all of your players equally, and your best performers are more equal than others." This is gelling as my main gripe about Johnson's managerial style. He is treating most — if not all — of his players like stars, even if their performance doesn't justify it.

20. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Mark, you've got "Lance Berkman" listed as 1B umpire. I think you meant to type "Lance Barksdale."Honest mistake. We're here to serve.NI Proofreading Desk.

21. DWS - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I think (finally) the team is starting to realize that perform or you're gone. Too late probably. But too much time was wasted being patient. As to who's to blame?Davey or Rizzo. I don't know. Hopefully this will be a lesson forward. For those responsible and the under performing.

22. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM

How 'bout "Nastitude" for the new slogan? Obviously it can be read two ways . . ..

23. natsfan1a - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM

24. natsfan1a - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Understandable, I suppose, since Berkman has played 1b. Also, that was Chase, not Mark.NI Read-behind Desk. (Motto: We have your back.)Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said… Mark, you've got "Lance Berkman" listed as 1B umpire. I think you meant to type "Lance Barksdale." Honest mistake. We're here to serve. NI Proofreading Desk. July 27, 2013 12:25 PM

25. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM

But … this is the Internet. Spelling and grammar and knowing what you're talking about are just elitist trolls oppressionizing the people.

26. DWS - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa,Irony is a beautiful thing, if those (you're hoping) realize it.

27. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Like the new look, BTW, 1a!

28. Teddy Rochlis - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

These orioles homers just said that Matt Wieters was the best defensive catcher, time for me to stop watching this show.

29. natsfan1a - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Thanks, sec3. Back to the umps, I thought FP said Enrico Palazzo would be behind the dish. I demand a refund!1

30. Theo Mackie - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:08 PM

31. JaneB - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I still feel sick about yesterday. That these guys can show up and go through meeting fans and hearing whatever the heck the fans might say to them, and then play a game…that takes fortitude. Some of you may say "they're paid tons to have it." But it doesn't negate the fact that this is a harder day than most in Natstown. The problems show up on the field and then in the press. But they aren't generated by the players.

32. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM

T-Mackie described Soriano as a "head case." I wouldn't be surprised if his manifested disdain for pitching in non-save situations hasn't rubbed some of the other people in the BP the wrong way.Anyway, I'm ready for them to trade him. Mediocre closers, e.g., Capps, are a dime a dozen. They can find someone to "close out" the season.

33. fast eddie - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM

The Fox game today is Cards/Braves in my viewing area. I subscribe to the MLB package but don't see the Nats anywhere. Any suggestions?

34. djinFl. - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM

It will be Dave and Charlie on the radio in Florida today fast eddie.

35. waddu eye no - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM

yomade it back alive from italy, where i think i was the only one on the amalfi coast wearing his nats cap. great place, and i loved it, but flying back and watching "42" on the plane really made me feel like the all-american boy returning home. and glad ryan z must have heard i arrived before the 9th.gyfng

36. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Theo Mackie said…This team would be within 3 games if: We hadn't signed Soriano (head case), hadn't resigned LaRoche and instead kept Morse, had signed Lohse instead of Haren like I had been calling for. But that's past, what we can change moving forward is trade Soriano for Castellanos, have Storen get right in AAA, trade for Morse to platoon between 1B and OF, drop Haren out of the rotation after today and replace him with DorfyJuly 27, 2013 1:08 PM—-/////___———(////——Sure. Morse can't run, or swing a bat until further notice, but sure, yeah, we should trade for him…whatever.

37. DJB - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Storen messed with his own head. He wasn't the only one who choked last year, but he certainly was the deciding factor. He should have been moved in the offseason when he could fetch more. Now he is worthless. Management has been too easy with players who can't hack it. Both Clippard, for challenging Rizzo's decision publicly, and Storen, need to be moved. Then Rizzo needs to be fired, Davey put to pasture, and a real stats-oriented president of baseball operations needs to be hired. We can do this in the offseason.

38. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I'm with you, Joe Seamhead. I think the Morse trade (for Krol, basically) will go down as one of Rizzo's better moves, not a mistake.As for Sori, I think there's a lot more to like than dislike. He's been far more good than bad. So it's not so great in non-save situations. Memo to Davey: don't use him in non-save situations.If we hadn't had Sori, Clipp would be the closer. That would leave the eighth inning to …Um, Oh, Uh, Let's see now, Oh, yeah, right, Stammen. How's that working out?Thank goodness we have Sori, or we wouldn't even be smelling .500.Now, can we beat this bum Gee, who doesn't appear to have the ability to beat anyone but us?GYFNG!!

39. Doc - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Enrico Palazzo???–FP is always pumping it up for the Pisanos,as he should.Correctomundo, waddu eye no, the Amalfi coast, for anyone who hasn't been there, it doesn't get any more enjoyable.

40. karlkolchak - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I've said before that Clippard is the Nats' most valuable potential trade chip. I wonder if his sniping at management wasn't him trying to force his way out of town. Anyway, he is wrong about Storen. If you are a professional, act like one. Go get hitters out, whether it is in the 9th inning or the 7th or 8th. Those outs are just as important to the team, and the Save is a very overrated stat anyway.

41. karlkolchak - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Theo Mackie – Really? You want to trade for a guy who hasn't played in over a month? Glad you're not GM.

42. Michael Dempsey - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Ugh… as usual down here in FLA we get the Braves and the Nats are blacked out. Seems like the 4th or 5th time already this year. Tough to swallow after dropping $$$ for MLB Extra Innings. Of course when we were losing 100 games a season this never happened…lol..

43. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I got a text message from MASN and the game isn't even on MASN.

44. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Way to go, Desi!

45. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM

SPAN HOME RUN?

46. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Wow! Span!!!

47. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Span? Who thunk that. Here I was concerned about Storen getting dumped and the Nats just scored their total from yesterday in 2 at bats.

48. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM

back to back, who would have thunk it with Span?!think we will need more than 2 runs tho…

49. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM

What did Schu tell Span.

50. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM

nats 128, well thunk…haha and i didn't even see your post.

51. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:41 PM

paul, yah thunking at 1st pitch!

52. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Haren escapes that 1st batter walk. Note to Dan, dont try that again with the #8 batter.

53. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Haren now surpasses Chad Tracy and Danny Espinosa and Bernadina in Batting Average

54. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Finally a HR with someone on!

55. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Happy for Haren! And for Bryce. Seriously hoping Anthony starts getting some to drop.

56. alexva - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Rendon will be fineRendon is the real deaL

57. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM

My only comment for Davey is short leash on Haren.

58. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Haren's location not as good this inning.

59. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM

The Rays and Dodgers are the 2 best teams in the majors now.

60. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:02 PM

That was a sick double play

61. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM

ALR really is a heck of a defensive 1B…could have been 1st & 3rd with 1 out very easily.

62. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:04 PM

paul, I guess you dont know Dan Haren. Harens location is always towards more of the plate and its the movement that saves him. When his cutter isnt cutting its just a HR ready to blast.Haren relys on swing/miss and weak contact and this is why he lives and dies by his movement or lack thereof.

63. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:05 PM

128, just seemed to me he was way up in the zone to Byrd but got away with it on a few of those pitches.

64. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM

You think Mikey could make that play? Not me.Alexa, Rendon is now 15 for his last 77, since July 1. I agree he's the real deal but the deal is struggling big time.

65. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Now Span thunks hes a power hitter!

66. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Span is really putting a charge into the ball today…even that flyout. Jeez.

67. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:10 PM

paul, I learn from those who know and have said Harens movement determines his starts. The reason he doesnt walk many is becuz he puts it over the plate and doesnt nibble. Agreed when the ball is up thats when you have to be concerned.He sure isnt going to beat you on high heat.

68. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM

That was a sick double playNow that's a play Wil Cordero doesn't make.

69. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Haren has really gotten away with some pitches in this inning.

70. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM

"David Proctor said… Span is really putting a charge into the ball today…even that flyout. Jeez"Have to take note that Span lengthened his swing some. 1 HR isnt a success. It is a start to see where it goes. Me, Id rather see solid line drives. His weak swings were killing him and his team.

71. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Span has been hitting too many fly balls for a while now, for the type of hitter he is. Dropped to 7th, it's not so bad, but he's got no business swinging for the fences.

72. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM

"David Proctor said… Haren has really gotten away with some pitches in this inning."I guess you also dont understand Dan Haren.Have you ever watched Mariano Rivera. You start your swing to where the ball should be an it moves and the same thing with Haren. He has made a career on movement.

73. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Wow, nice snag by Wright on Ramos there. I like Zim, but the days of there being a question about which one is better are long gone.

74. Scott Margenau - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Nats up 4-0 , harren pitchmen well, sitting at tiki bar in fenwick island, del. surrounded by phillies and o's fans

75. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:20 PM

"I like Zim, but the days of there being a question about which one is better are long gone."Absolutely. Also look where Wright positions himself and where Zim does. Its a big problem.

76. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:21 PM

St Louis @ Atlanta, top 5, 0-0.

77. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:21 PM

ScottM, I hope you brought BUG SPRAY! Pests!

78. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Dang Rendon got robbed.

79. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Rendon with his best swing in a week and robbed.

80. Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Absolutely. Also look where Wright positions himself and where Zim does. Its a big problem.He does what he has to do. It's not like Danny being stubborn about continually trying to hit 6-run home runs–he doesn't have much choice, IMO. The alternative isn't perfection, it's Zimm further back, with a longer throw.

81. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM

128, I am no Haren expert but no way his location should be waist high…I know he throws a cutter but it should end up down in the zone, not up in the zone but I can't argue with the results thus far…he was much better right there to Gee.

82. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Sec. 1D 10T, My Sofa, we are in agreement. I dont have the answers. Zimmerman is under contract for a long time. Has to move across the diamond sooner then later.

83. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Some guys can throw for the middle of the plate because they do not have good control–the one place the ball ain't going is where they are trying to throw it. Haren is like the pitcher's analog to "Swing hard in case you hit it." He needs to keep the ball away from the barrel, no matter what, in case they do hit it.

84. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM

paul, would rather have the pitches lower in the zone however hes a high strike guy. I dont know what you expect. Sucks he didnt get that clear strike to Young who then got the infield single. Ump blew that one.

85. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Haren has gotten so lucky with David Wright.

86. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Whew, thankyoujesus.

87. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

The Fox camera work is so poor. I thought that was a HR on the concourse. To close.

88. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

128, agree, thought that was a strike too…OMG, Wright just crushed that ball, foul!! get the BP up, Davey!!!

89. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Nuts!

90. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Sorry, Ryan has to knock that down.

91. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM

128, on those, don't watch for the ball–watch the fans in the sections on the line. They'll tell you first.Wow, that was a hit, but not because Zim didn't get there. Playable ball.

92. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I'm thankful it was just one run and not two with a home run…

93. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM

128, agree, he must knock that down any way he can, you learn that in LL.

94. alexva - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Give it up for haren

95. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:37 PM

paul, all we can do is shake our heads. If Zimmerman is playing normal depth the ball comes up perfectly on the 1st hop. That was much easier than Ramos shot that Wright got.One big run. I also blame it on the ump as Young was a strikeout.

96. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Zim plays the ball to his side; he always has, probably since he was a kid. His reflexes used to make that possible, but as he gets even this much older, I don't think he reacts to those bad hops as well as he used to. He's not going to start getting in front of them at this point, at third base. It's a reflex position, you can't just completely change fundamentals one day.

97. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM

DP, good point, thought the same, 4-1 is much better than 4-2 & Wright now has two foul ball HR's but Haren got screwed on that 1-2 pitch to Young…maybe Ramos could have framed it a tad better but that should have been strike 3.

98. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM

LaRoche hit that about as hard as you can, right to Byrd.

99. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Haren's best game so far and that is a real positive…I would pull him now and go with Clipthoughts?

100. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I keep thinking Dillon Gee is Kenny Glol

101. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

That 3-hit, 6-inning shutout v. Miami was pretty good, too. And I'd try to get 7 out of him, but I wouldn't try very hard.

102. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

mick if Davey doesnt have his pen guys getting loose then its on Davey. This is a game you have to cement away.

103. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I agree. Put Haren back out there, but have somebody warming behind him.

104. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Sofa the Miami game was very good. maybe your right about the 7th, but with his pitch count at 86 and his history of tiring, I am not so sure.

105. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM

it depends on where is slider is, I guess

106. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Haren is getting bailed out big time by these balls going foul. Yikes.

107. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM

you see…I would pull him after this batter

108. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM

This was the Atlanta way when they had Oflaherty Venters and Kimbrel that you get your starter thru 6 and give 7, 8 and 9 to the pen and you go back to the clubhouse with a W.

109. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:48 PM

nats128good point

110. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:48 PM

David, did you hear what Verducci said. "Haren has made very few mistakes in the middle of the plate".

111. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:48 PM

regardless…i would assume the 7th is it for Haren?

112. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM

There are other considerations. The Mets have Davis, Buck, and Legares up, whom he should be able to get, and if not, the bottom of the order follows; and Haren is due up this inning. NL baseball; you gotta think about this [stuff].

113. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM

not to get to ahead here, but if Haren can do this the rest of the season, then it gets interesting with Nats…you can go with Ross O and when its time to shut down Taylor Jordan…you still have your 5 pitchers.As I have said, let Det heal the rest of the season

114. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM

If they hit the ball 500 feet, foul, that's a strike. And don't throw that again.

115. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM

your right sofa

116. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

nice job Danny, very nice!!!

117. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Davey has pushed the Greed button with Taylor Jordan last start and a couple starts with Jordan Z.This time Davey got it right. I would rather air on the side of caution.

118. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

NOW I go to Clippard.

119. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Damn, a good outing from Haren. We needed it.

120. alexva - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

this is the Dan Haren we've been waiting for

121. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM

happy for Haren – nice job…now score some more runs!!

122. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM

It's definitely Clippard and Soriano time now. Unless we can add some runs here.

123. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM

David and sofaagreed

124. Les_in_NC - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM

is Clips head in the game today though? This could still get rough…

125. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Lesgood point did not think of that

126. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I don't mind a guy hitting the ball into the third deck, but thirty feet foul. That means his timing was off, and he happened to barrel it up. That's as likely to throw him off as me. Now, the ones that just miss the pole will get your breakfast up in your throat a little…

127. mick - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM

however, according to Mark's blog he says Davey and rizzo had a great talk with Clip to calm him down

128. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Clip is a professional. He's always handled things very well. Even his "lashing out" I thought was done in a polite, well-spoken manner. I don't think it'll effect his performance. But I guess we shall see.

129. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Well, if Clippard is still pissed off, let's see him take it out where it belongs.I can feel your anger. The hate is swelling in you now. Use it.

130. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

How much faster do you suppose Clippard looks after three at-bats against Haren?

131. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

If you look at Harens cutters to Wright he got him out front on a 84 miler cutter. Almost using his cutter at different speeds to get foul balls. Overall his speed was off more and his movement increased. Livan when he was good relied on movement. Theres to much macho man stuff in trying to over power batters. Give me 84 to 86 and a W.

132. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM

St. Louis @ ATL at baja 7, still zip.

133. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Why doesnt Fox have a K box with balls and strikes. Any one know?

134. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Ramos defensive woes have been much talked about, but something that annoys me more than most things: he drops a lot of balls that if he catches cleanly, could be called strikes.There was just one right now.

135. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM

In fact, the Barves have had 7 hits and 3 walks through 6, but no runs. That must be soooooooo frustrating for them…

136. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Theres the same pitch that Haren threw Young and didnt get the same call Clipperd just got. I even think Harens was an inch or 2 higher.

137. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Looks like Clippard didn't let it bother him too much

138. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Rats. Lightning just now–and here comes the rain. Gonna mess up the excellent party at the Howard Theater.

139. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Which is being held outdoors today.

140. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Boy, Clip got a call on that pitch. I don't blame Young for not being happy. If Drew Storen had gotten one call like that in game five we would never have gotten Soriano.

141. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Really David Proctor. Ramos just got away with Ball 4 by framing it perfectly.The Ramos Basher Fan Club is because Storen Bashers and Espinosa Bashers had to move to Syracuse.Just rediculous.

142. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Another Manager not afraid to switch relievers after facing one batter.

143. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Dan Haren deserves a helluva a hand! Great job today!

144. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I am FAR from a Ramos basher. I'm a big fan of Ramos. I think he can be one of the biggest contributors to this team. I can point out a deficiency in his game without being a Ramos basher.

145. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM

There's too much macho man stuff in trying to over-power batters.It's called "wanting to announce your presence with authority!"Just be sure your catcher doesn't tell them what you're throwing.

146. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:19 PM

He dropped a low pitch by trying to quickly frame it. It was a slick move and the ball slipped from his glove. Thats not a catching deficiecy. I went from a accused troll for making similar comments to trying to stay positive. Trying to do the same thing as Mick.

147. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Not sure why they didn't have a virtual strike zone on the Fox broadcast, but we probably didn't get the A-team tech crew–maybe the D-team doesn't have that stuff?

148. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Dan Daly‏@dandalyonsportsIn the last 5 seasons, no pitcher in baseball (minimum: 250 IP) has allowed fewer hits per 9 innings than Tyler Clippard (5.74). #Nats #MLB

149. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM

150. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM

anyone else see the A's unis?? pretty sweet.

151. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

paul, they tweeted pregame photos of Vida Blue and Freiman. Really nice job by the team. Still waiting for the Nats to do a 1960s throwback.

152. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

pb, are those one of their normal sets, or a throwback? I like how they match the color of the titanium necklaces to the green.

153. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Since June 4th Tyler Clippard has pitched 23 2/3 innings and has given up one run and only 8 hits in that time.

154. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Freaking Braves.

155. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Sofa, not sure, am guessing throwback given 128's comment re. Vida Blue…128, do you know?

156. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM

"Sec. 3, My Sofa said… Indeed 128, I think a lot of us could stand to rely more on command and movement, rather than announcing our presence with authority. IMO."Glad someone agrees with me. When Haren was popping 88 to 91 he was getting hit hard. Now hes throwing his straight fastball topping out at 89 and his cutter 82 to 88 all day long.

157. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM

[Shucks.] Braves go up 2-0 in the 8th.

158. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Joe Seamhead said…Freaking Braves.Joe, well said…and here comes Kimbrel.

159. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I do agree, 128; I was, however, speaking figuratively about our collective rhetorical tendencies.

160. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM

paul/sofa, it says Flashback 1969 which makes me thunk its a throwback 69 unihttps://twitter.com/Athletics/status/361201765644918784/photo/1

161. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Those are indeed the 1969 A's uniforms.

162. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Seems to be clearing up here in Shaw.

163. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Should be taking the tarp off by now.

164. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM

128, thanks…sweet…was always a fan of Vida Blue and he owns one of the coolest names of all time for any athlete.

165. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM

thanks for nothing STL.

166. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Bah. Cardinals cough one up. Final 2-0, ATL.Not that we have any business scoreboard-watching.

167. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM

paul, I liked Blue Moon Odom and Vida Blue and Ossie Bluege. I guess Im blue.

168. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Um, Cardinals have lost 2. No offense this weekend.

169. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:43 PM

better than "Blue Moon Odom"?

170. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Juan Pizarro was on that team. So was Tito Francona.Mike Hershberger.José Tartabull.

171. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Blue Moon Odom is pretty strong, how about others?Metta World PeaceWorld B FreeOscar GambleTie DomieEarl "the Pearl" Monroejust some that come to mind in other sports too…am sure there are a ton…what a rain delay will do to you!!!!

172. Secret wasian man - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Scott Marinuea. I watched the Nats win last night at a place called Fat Tuna just west of Bethany. When we arrive the O's HUN were on the big big screen. We had to ask the guy to turn on the Nats game. He had womens volleyball on instead.

173. Secret wasian man - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:53 PM

sec 3 we can score watch until it is OFFICIALLY over. After all we are FANS. short for fanatics

174. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:53 PM

And the '69 A's finished second to … the Twins! Anybody here remember that? (yes, I am kidding)

175. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM

My personal rule is, you don't get to talk playoffs or watch the scoreboard unless you've won more games than you've lost. Just my own thing.

176. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM

A lot of those guys changed their names, like Chad EightFive.But… Van Lingle Mungo.Heathcliff Slocumb.Porfi Altamirano.

177. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Rain delay thoughts. Nats showing no negative effects of the recent personel moves. If anything they are showing resilience. I was worried about Clipperd pitching today and he did his thing.The only unfortunate thing is the Braves are playing better without the Upton brothers. Go figure. They spend all that money and have played better when both are out of the lineup.One trade we have to be lucky Rizzo never made was for BJ Upton. That guy is over rated.

178. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Doesnt Blue Moon Odom have a beer named after him. That makes it the best nickname and Odom rhymes with funny things before the word modem was created.

179. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM

OK, the game's not on for another 10 minutes or so, and "Two-Headed Shark Attack!" is on SciFi!!

180. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Games on!

181. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Well that was quick. Soriano has the heart of the order. Murphy, Wright and Byrd.

182. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Nats128 said:One trade we have to be lucky Rizzo never made was for BJ Upton. That guy is over rated. —–///—-Our biggest Span basher said the other night that Rizzo should have gotten BJ. BTW, Justin Upton played today.

183. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM

If you blinked you just missed the last 2 at bats in the bottom of the 8th.

184. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Man, Rendon can't buy a hit.

185. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Sigh. Leadoff single.

186. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM

That Murphy guy is a pest. Cant make any thing easy.

187. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Slider command = story of Soriano's season. Like I said yesterday.

188. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I'm back and tucked, boss.

189. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Untucked.

190. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Nats got all the calls today. Whoa, I guess Ramos is a frame doctor!

191. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Wow, about time we got a few calls from the home plate ump!WoooooooSoriHooooooo!

192. SonnyG10 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM