Jul 27, 2013, 2:01 AM EDT
Game in a nutshell: Only two hours after suffering one of their worst losses of the season — an 11-0 trouncing — the Nationals re-took the field for the nightcap of this doubleheader, facing a stiff challenge with ace Matt Harvey on the mound for the Mets. Ross Ohlendorf, however, was up to the challenge. The journeyman right-hander was brilliant in this spot start, allowing one run over seven innings to give his team a chance. The Nationals hardly did anything against Harvey — their lone run came via a fifth-inning error — but they managed to keep this a 1-1 game into the ninth. Rafael Soriano wriggled his way out of a first-and-third, one-out jam in the top of the inning, setting the stage for a potential walk-off win. Which they got, from an old friend. Ryan Zimmerman launched a 3-1 pitch from LaTroy Hawkins deep to right-center for his ninth career walk-off homer, his first since 2011, giving the Nationals a much-needed and dramatic victory.
Hitting highlight: Stymied all night by Harvey, the Nationals couldn't wait to get the young ace out of the game and get into the Mets' bullpen. They finally got the chance in the ninth and made it worthwhile. After Anthony Rendon grounded out, Zimmerman worked the count to 3-1 against Hawkins. He then drove the veteran reliever's next pitch over the wall in right-center for a long-awaited, walk-off homer. It was Zimmerman's ninth of his career, but his first since 2011. It couldn't have come at a better time, salvaging a long day of baseball for the Nationals.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes
- Strasburg rocked again during ugly 8-1 loss to Phillies
- Roark ready for Monday start in Chicago
- Strasburg tries to keep Nats rolling vs. Phillies
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates