Instant Analysis: Nats 4, Mets 1

Jul 27, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

Game in a nutshell: The Nationals rode some early scoring and one of Dan Haren's best starts of the season to a 4-1 victory over the Mets, their third win in their last four games. Haren was efficient right from the start and pitched the first three innings without allowing a hit. He even added a double and a run to his cause in an all around great day for the veteran starter. The Nats' offense also gave Haren some early help with two runs in the second inning off solo homers and another two in the third off a two-run bomb by Bryce Harper. Once Haren left the game after the seventh, Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano closed it out, working around a hour-long rain delay. After a grueling doubleheader and dramatic postgame, the Nats showed no ill effects from the quick turnaround and played one of their most complete games as a team in quite some time.

Hitting highlight: The Nats jumped out with an early lead in the win, scoring two runs in the second and two more in the third, all on home runs. The first two came on back-to-back solo shots by Ian Desmond and Denard Span. The third homer was a two-run smash by Harper in the third inning to score Haren who had reached with a double.

1. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM

3/4. .750 winning percentage!

2. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM

It seems like weeks since Ive untucked.

3. Nats 128 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM

The Nats ended 2 dreadful streaks today. The Haren 11 game team losing streak is over and the Nats won there 1st game of the season when scoring 4 runs.

4. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Heased for high school's 40th reunion. Took some to the park.left at rain delay so we could make reunion on time.How about Span and Haren?Jordan has about 3 more starts. By then Storen should be ready to come back, and Orndorf take 5th starter spot.

5. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Don't forget Span breaking his homerless streak. Even for him, it had been a long time coming.

6. natsfan1a - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM

7. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM

It was so nice to see a shot of Span smiling after he hit the dinger.

8. natsfan1a - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM

(Dropped my punctuation mark there. That's an E1a.))Atta way, Danny! Atta way, Denard! Atta way, Nats!And an "atta fan" for any of y'all who were out there all day what with the STH event, rain delay, and game. (MNF gets one, too, because he had a good excuse for leaving early. :-))

9. natsfan1a - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM

10. SCNatsFan - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Damn a streak! Love it!!!

11. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I think the A's uniforms are very ugly, too, natfan1a. I had a real problem seeing the ball off the batwith the Fox cameras today. Fox really sux, IMHO.

12. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM

agreed, especially in that summer sun.

13. sjm308 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Just got home!!Have to admit, I left early.Big Thanks to 106 (he knows why!)From 308 there we could actually see a huge difference between Haren's 89 and Gee' 89 mph. Both looked hittable and several Mets did hit shots but they were right at our guys which was nice for a change. Haren does have some wicked movement when he is on. We now have 3 of 4 and I just hope we can end this home streak on a positive note and get Mr. Jordan his first Major League Win.Off to my Mom's 89th birthday party. Can only hope she has had just 3 Irish Coffees by now.Go Nats!!!

14. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM

natsfan1a said…(But I added a parenthesis, so there's that.)Is it me, or are those throwback A's unis kinda, well, ugly?you are late to the party…see last post (late) for the discussion…they were 1969 throwback jerseys and I for one thought they were awesome.

15. natsfan1a - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Happy birthday to your mom, sjm. That's a good excuse for leaving early, too. :-)

16. natsfan1a - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I don't do game threads, Paul, but thanks for the background.

17. SonnyG10 - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Gosh 1a, I like the throwback A's unis. Very colorful.

18. paul brandt - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM

1a, understood…good win for the Nats, would love to see us run off like 8 in a row.and nice job by Haren with the double prior to Harper's 2 run HR to make it 4-0…that was a huge hit by Haren.

19. Joe Seamhead - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Amazing stat of the game: We only had three strike outs against us! Is that a season low?

20. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM

nope, 1 is season low against Baltimore in the only win this season.

21. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM

another game with 2 Ks against Reds in April.

22. McR-rich - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Down here where the Redskins are all over the place, local Fox showed an episode of "Coach" instead of the end of the Nats game. So I cannot get away from RGIII in Richmond, but the local TV guys cannot wait out a rain delay for the Nationals. Just another nail in the coffin of why I cannot stand the Fox broadcasts…freaking unbelievable.

23. David Proctor - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko 2mBryce Harper joked he didn't want Denard Span getting cocky after his 1st HR. Too late. "I might hit 30 the rest of the year," Span crackedLOL

24. baseballswami - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM

25. SonnyG10 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

baseballswami said…Think maybe getting some of this stuff out in the open the last couple of days relieved a little pressure?July 27, 2013 7:27 PMI don't know swami, but getting pressure relieved is paramount imo.

26. SonnyG10 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM

If we can continue to get performances out of Haren and Ohlendorff like their last ones, we may be able to put together a serious winning streak. Man would that make me feel better.

27. 5c3cd06e-cef8-11e1-abe6-000bcdcb2996 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM

This was a great game for the Danimal. Lets just hope he can keep it up.

28. Whack-a-Mule - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Mule On Defense:Mark's nutshell analysis was excellent, but overlooked the slick, smooth All-Star level defense turned in by the Nats. Aside from one Little League-type error from Rendon on a routine ground ball, the defensive brilliance which we so took for granted in 2012 was once again apparent.Wall-crawler Span robs a double; Harper's pinpoint throw to second holds Murphy to a single on a hit guaranteed 2 bases against most other left fielders; Desmond's stellar range, sure glove and cannon arm; and LaRoche diving to his right to rob a hit, cannily throwing FROM HIS KNEES to second to start a 3-6-3 double play.Mule has not seen this level of sustained defensive excellence over 9 innings with any frequency in 2013.Pray it may continue.

29. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM

30. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Christian Yelich can flat out hit. The Fish are the best young team in baseball.I want Nick Castellanos.

31. Mr. Doggett - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM

+1NatsJack in Florida said…I'm really getting tired of these people that don't know to read the bylines and address Mark when Chase is the writer. Especially those that write in 3rd person.

32. 5c3cd06e-cef8-11e1-abe6-000bcdcb2996 - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Anyone else on here go to season plan holder appreciation night? How much more a #$@*&$ could a lot of the players have been? Gio and DJ spend a few hours posing and the likes of Harper and Werth the obligatory wave and walk and are gone in minutes. Morse trade changed the chemistry and is a big part of this slide. # Will be remembered.

33. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:29 AM

And another post by a neophyte.

34. Brandon Wedel - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:32 AM

35. mick - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:34 AM

lots of positives today, Span, finally a homer pigs do fly, lol

36. mick - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

its one game at a time, one series at a time…that has to be the mind set of all 25 guys, plain and simple

37. Brandon Wedel - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

If they can keep the defense tight, and pick up the offense adding hits w/ RISP, they aren't out of the equation yet. They are at 51-54, and the Braves are at 59-45. It looks like a long shot but if the Nats can go 34-23(.597), and the Braves go 25-33 (.431) the rest, they can win the division.The Nats could do that with A DC Wonk's formula by winning 2/3 from the big 3 and 1/2 of the #4,5 spots. If Ohlendorf pitches like he has and Haren like he did post-DL, we could have a winning streak to help push it further.

38. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Project all you want. Just win tomorrow and go from there.

39. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

The Phillies are getting absolutely demolished by the Tigers. 8-0 in the 2nd.

40. Secret wasian man - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Luv the enthusiasm BW. I' just want good baseball played

41. mick - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Joe Sabout A's uniforms…when I was a kid, I thought they were cool in 1969…now that i am a geezer, I see your point

42. Secret wasian man - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Last year Nats were slipping towards second place. J Lannen came in and pitched a gem in the second game of double header against Barves. Lets hope what Ohlen and Haren did is a big spark like that.

43. mick - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:39 AM

and we finally beat Kenny G, I meant Dillion Geehee hee

44. mick - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Wasiangood point and agreed

45. Secret wasian man - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Mick my man. Still gotta meet at a game.

46. mick - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM

you know it my man!

47. Brandon Wedel - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I agree with you guys. All that matters is that they play good baseball one day at a time. I like looking at the numbers because it's nice to see that despite the numerous obstacles and shortcomings, they haven't completely imploded off the face of the map.

48. mick - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM

coach sjmGod bless your mom, thats awesome!!!

49. Get Your Re(n)d On - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:49 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… And another post by a neophyte.And another post by the cranky old jerk in Del Boca Vista. Isn't it past your bedtime?

50. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

A's win today with Tommy Milnone getting the win on a Derrick Norris 2 run pinch hit home run.I'm still good with Gio.

51. mick - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM

everybody left?oh well

52. Brandon Wedel - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I stick around reading posts alot Mick, but thats because I'm out on the West Coast and I'm usually awake longer.

53. Nats106 - Jul 28, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Long day with the fan appreciation early. SJM, great meeting you-we'll have to get together for a game in a homestand or two. Also happy B-day to your mother. Saw comments about the fan appreciation. Like anything else, it is what you make of it. Clearly ownership directs players to not sign autographs and not pose for pictures, which I think is wrong. Signs made it very clear. Some players flat out disregarded that, signing autographs and posing for pictures. My hat is off to guys like Ramos, Rendon, Clippard, T Jordan, Tracy, Matheus and especially LaRoche. I'm sure there were others who posed with fans, but I noticed them since they were right around me. My daughter and her friend got a great shot with LaRoche, Jordan and Clippard. While I have been hyper critical of Johnson's management, he is a class act and knows what fans want. He was the first one out and signed autotgraphs until he had to go in. Overall, I think it could have been handled a little more like an autograph session or just pictures, but hey, it was still a good day.Haren looked sharp and a rain delay forced us home. I got no complaints. I was at the ballpark for 7 hours. And for me, that's a great day.

54. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Just to reiterate from the game thread: we LOVED the A's uniforms in 1969; we became A's fans just for the laundry. I still love them.

55. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:54 AM

And nobody wore those colors better than Rickey.

56. Get Your Re(n)d On - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:11 AM

I thought Davey blew off the STH event today. So he was there after all?

57. Nats106 - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Yes, he was there. He blew off the press conference with the fans. Rizzo and I think Doug Harris (Player Development) were answering fan questions.He was definitely signing on the field-I think he might have made it to 1/3 of the crowd before he had to go prep for the game. He was out there for over an hour.