Game 106: Mets at Nats

Jul 28, 2013, 3:45 PM EST

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

The way things had been going around here only a couple of days ago, the fact the Nationals today have a chance to win four of their last five is rather remarkable. But that's the position they find themselves in after walk-off wins Thursday and Friday and then yesterday's 4-1 victory over the Mets. Funny how this game works.

If they do find a way to take today's series finale against the Mets, they may just hand Taylor Jordan his much-awaited first career win. The rookie right-hander certainly has pitched well enough in his first five starts (3.68 ERA) to deserve better than an 0-3 record. Today presents a new challenge for him, facing an opponent for the second time for the first time (if that makes sense).

Check back for updates…

NEW YORK METS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 187
Weather: Scattered storms, 80 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to LF

LF Bryce Harper
2B Anthony Rendon

Read more ยป

1. JD - Jul 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Pitch ahead in the count Taylor and you will be fine.

2. Doc - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I haven't heard Bob Carpenter's bootleg weather report yet, but some alternate postings suggest that the T-storms won't start until about 3-3:30 pm.Yeah, 4 out of the last 5 sounds good. Man, are we desperate, or what!

3. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Haren got a win, Span hit his first home run as a Nat, we had our first two walk off home runs this season- in two days. Next up- a curly W for Taylor Jordan. Let's just break all those barriers down.

4. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Let me just say this: the Mets radio crew is very unprofessional. The SNY cast is fine, but I heard snippets of their radio broadcast yesterday. They referred to the Nationals throughout as "the Washington Underachievers" and basically took stupid jabs at the team the entire game.

5. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM

No David Wright is usually a good thing. Come on Taylor Jordan! Come on all you hitters! Three in a row would be encouraging.—————-Meanwhile, down on the farm: At Syracuse :Tyler Moore is hitting .309Last night Erik Davis came in in the 8th with the bases loaded and nobody out and nobody scored scored. I really like the whole Erik Davis story and I hope he makes it.Espy struggling again @.196—————————Down in Hagerstown:Brett Mooneyham: IP 8, 0 runs on 2 hits, 8 K's

6. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Tyler has really been raking but I'm so hesitant to say call him up because he's already been up here twice.

7. natsfan1a - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM

(Never [mess] with a streak.)natsfan1a said… In the immortal words of Bryce Harper, let's go! July 27, 2013 11:56 AM

8. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM

David Proctor @ 12:27, That sounds like bulletin board fodder, even if it is true.

9. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM

10. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I hope Tyler pitches into the eighth as he did last time. And I surely hope we get the Kid some runs.GYFNG!!And somebody please reaffirm to me that the Barves cannot sweep, right?

11. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:39 PM

This answers my question from the last thread. From Byron Kerr:Rizzo also said Jordan will get the opportunity to compete for a 2014 starting role."He will get every opportunity to be in the mix for the rotation next year, certainly," Rizzo said. "He has pitched extremely well. I like his demeanor on the mound. He shows poise of a major league pitcher and has the stuff for it."

12. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Espy struggling again @.196Yeah, remember when Espi had that little mini hot streak? 9 games where his slashline was .469/.528/.844/1.372 with 2 HRs and 7 XBH? Some of us said, "small sample size," and said we'd want to see consistent raking for a month at least before even considering bringing him back up. In the 13 games since then, he's 9 for 53, with no extra base hits and 16 Ks. His slashline is .170/.224/.170/.394.

13. SonnyG10 - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM

David Proctor said…Not that it really matters, but just wondering:One of those double-header games is considered part of the other Mets' series because of the rainout. If the first game was the make-up game, then technically we'd be going for a sweep today.July 28, 2013 12:34 PMDavid, I don't know if there's an official definition of series or not, but I have chosen to consider back-to-back games with the same team as a series, no matter when originally scheduled. Thus I consider this a four game series. However, I don't object to other definitions.

14. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Jon Heyman:The Nationals made a run this spring at trying to lock up star shortstop Ian Desmond but didn't reach an agreement, sources connected with the team said.While nothing appears imminent, with talks apparently stopping once the season began, the Nats still hope to keep Desmond, who's had a very nice year and barely missed making the All-Star team a second time, with an extension.

15. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I'm much more concerned about Anthony Rendon's slump right now. He has 2 hits in his 32 AB'sFor July: .190/.238/.342/.580His BA has gone from .308 at the beginning of the month down to .262I'm sure he'll be fine, but he is struggling big time right now.

16. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I hope he breaks out today!

17. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Tyler has a track record of being good after he has time to get his stroke back. Seems like he needs a period of time with consecutive at bats and then he has it. He has done it before. Can he, with that history, be a worse bet than Tracy and Hairston? The real question for me is whether or not they have been training him to be an outfielder. He was put in a terrible position being stuck out there. He is good at 1b– no, not ALR good, but certainly better than Dunn and probably Morse. If they plan on him ever playing the outfield , he needs experience out there.

18. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Can he, with that history, be a worse bet than Tracy and Hairston?Well Hairston hits lefties well. We're judging him on an extremely small sample size…and he's been put in against righties way too much. Tracy is irrelevant because Tracy is a LHB and Tyler is a RHB. Apparently Rizzo is looking for a LHB Bench bat to trade for.

19. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM

And Joe- if you look at the numbers, Rendon would be a concern. But he has had games where he was scorching the ball and getting robbed by amazing defense. The league has made adjustments to him and now has scouting reports on where to position. I think he will start to have some of those fall in.

20. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM

David– excellent point.

21. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM

They referred to the Nationals throughout as "the Washington Underachievers" and basically took stupid jabs at the team the entire game. I don't know which guys you were listening to — but I happen to like Howie Rose (who's one of the Mets announcers. Well, at least he's the guy who I hear when I hear a Mets game on XM) — I think he's very good, insightful, and knows his stuff.As for being "the Washington Underachievers"– well, I mean, if the Schu fits . . . . ;-)

22. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM

(I've been waiting a whole week to use that lame pun!)

23. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM

swami, on Moore, he is mainly playing 1st base. On Anthony, I agree he is also having bad luck at the plate, and eventually when you keep hitting the ball it evens out. But, by the numbers he has had a very unproductive July at the plate.

24. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Meter comes back today and hits a homer in his first AB. Some guys just have a flair for the dramatic.

25. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM

JD has got it right concerning Taylor Jordan. Strike 1 is his best friend.

26. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Damn auto correct! Jeter hit a homer in his first AB

27. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Woah, I hope McCatty is okay.

28. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Getting ahead of the count will be priority number 1 for T Jordan to work on in ST next year…Hope all is well with McCatty….

29. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Perfecting the slider is the key. It's already shown A LOT of progress in just the few starts since he's been called up.

30. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM

How I get sucked in to going to D Haren starts… Idk… I go to 1 game every home series and it seems most times it's when D Haren pitches…Anyway, great game yesterday… Had a blast at the fan appreciation digs…Was psyched Span got his first HR….

31. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Concerning news about McCatty. Same as Adam and Drew?

32. Nats 128 - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:46 PM

SectionTriple2, yes on Espinosa. Small sample sizes appear larger in the rear view mirror to those that support him.Rizzo was correct when asked last week about him when he didn't seem overly excited.

33. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM

LaRoche is down to the .230s. I know he had the awful April and hot as heck May, but I don't think he's done much since. He needs to get it going. His track record suggests he will, but it's concerning at this point. It's almost August.

34. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM

baseballswami said… Concerning news about McCatty. Same as Adam and Drew?Oh, then it must be a conspiracy, because "who gets the flu in the summer"? ;-)

35. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Rendon BABIP in July: .200 — sure seems like a month-long string of bad luck for him. In June it was absurdly high: .387

36. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Okay… FP is hilarious with the 'shut down T Jordan' talk… Bwahhhhahhhhhhh….

37. Nats 128 - Jul 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

DC Wonk, ground balls vs line drives on Rendon.

38. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM

DP, ALR May BA = .330June .287July .173 (coming into today)

39. Nats 128 - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Miggy Cabrera and Leyland ejected in the middle of a at bat

40. Nats 128 - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Smart baserunning by Desi.

41. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Opposite side hitting by Span… Nice…

42. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

A hit with RISP!

43. Nats 128 - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Ramos!

44. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Oh yeah…. Situational hitting baby!!!! Go Wilson!!!

45. Nats 128 - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

How come Span doesn't get to 3rd

46. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Because Byrd got to it quickly, and it wasn't that deep. He would've been dead meat, 128.

47. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM

A Nats pitcher that bunts well….

48. Nats 128 - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Phillies got out of bases loaded no outs against the Tigers and scored no runs. It even happens to the best teams in baseball. Pettibone pitching for them.

49. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Another hit with RISP!

50. Nats 128 - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Taylor Jordan gets the bunt down and is rewarded with a +2.

51. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Wow… I'm amazed that Ramos wasnt out…. Way to go guys!!! Scoring without the long ball so far…..

52. paul brandt - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Harp's diggin the high ball again today, hit one to right yesterday with similar location.

53. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Rendon can't catch a break right now.

54. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Interseting choice to pitch some good pitchers to Harper with two out — with first base open and Rendon on deck

55. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Thundering buffalo! Did you see Ramos.Great job, Harper!Man, Anthony getting no luck.

56. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Rendon is hitting the ball hard…. Just right at someone….Drat… I was hoping to keep the line movin'!!!

57. slidell2 - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

This is what I was referring to in last post; a string of constructive at-bats. A good sign.

58. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I'll say this about Rendon: he's been slumping big time, but he's put together some solid ABs and hit the ball hard. He's NEVER looked overwhelmed or frustrated to me. He'll get it going.

59. Nats 128 - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:19 PM

FP bragging again about his BFF Schu. "All about mechanix approach and relaxation"Does he teach it during yoga in Rizzos zen garden?

60. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:19 PM

61. Drew - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Cue Michael Corleone:"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

62. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM

How in the world is Jordan Taylor keep falling behind 2-0, 3-0, and still getting everybody out?

63. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Harper is hitting .343 since the break, per Comak.

64. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM

MrsB loves the Nats said… But am I only one surprised the Mets didnt walk Harp with Rendon next and 1st base open…I think you owe me a beer! — see my comment at 2:14 ;-)

65. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Dangit Wonk… Sorry…. This is what I get for not F5'ing….

66. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM

As long as Rendon is having good at bats and staying confident. Things will come around. Not sure i like having a pitcher whose initials are TJ. Ouch .

67. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM

LaRoche may be thinking TOO MUCH about going to left field now. There's a balance. I hate when he pulls everything, but now it seems like he's making all his outs to left. Odd.

68. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM

And yet he's only thrown 37 pitches after 3 innings. Amazing.

69. paul brandt - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM

ALR with a poor AB, at the very least, move the runner over.

70. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I was referring to Taylor Jordan's pitch count @ 37.

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Adam's at bat was so fast, I missed it…. What happened? I wonder if he is completely over the flu…

72. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM

ANOTHER hit with RISP!

73. paul brandt - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM

nice Desi…man, Jewett is not afraid to send em!

74. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Are we seeing small ball right now???? Gosh, these have been some productive at bats….

75. UnkyD - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM

So…. Apparently, when we put the ball in play, good things may happen. I hope somebody is taking notes….

76. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM

RAMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

77. Nats 128 - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Grand Slam Ramos!

78. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Grand Freaking Salami!!!

79. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Well, I'll be damned!!!!Yesssszzzssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

80. Drew - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Buffalo goes BOOM!

81. paul brandt - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM

love when Desi takes off the helmet after someone hits a HR…2-1 count and that kid just served it up.

82. slidell2 - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Looking like payback for Friday afternoon.

83. Secret wasian man - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM

KATUNKA< KATUNKA!!!!!!!!

84. Secret wasian man - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:37 PM

MRS B hahahahahaha KATUNKADances with wolves KAtunka!!!

85. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I tell you what those Mets announcer's what they can do with their "underachieving" trash talk…

86. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Now let's just hope TJ can eat some innings. He's looked fantastic so far and with CLip and Soriano both going 3 days straight, it'd be a big pick-me-up. Especially with this lead.

87. Secret wasian man - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM

HAHAHHA easy seamhead its only the 3rd inning.KATUNKA!!

88. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Taylor Jordon, looks like you're in decent position to break your own streak!I like all these ugly streaks coming to an end.BTW — Ramos – lifetime against the Mets (not including today's game): 20 games, .453, 10 2b, 3 HR, 12 RBI, .750 SLG, 1.228 OPS. Sure to get a big jump by the time today's stats get figured in.

89. BigCat - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I knew it was just a matter of time before the new hitting coach would make a difference. Its all downhill from here boys. Where do I order playoff tickets!!!!!!!!!Bartender….set em up….on Big Cat!!

90. Brandon Wedel - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM

THAT'S THE WAY – UH HUH – THE NATSIES LIKE IT!!!

91. Steady Eddie - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Drew @ 2:20 — exactly what I told my wife after I convinced my 12-year old to come with me to the game yesterday.Oh well, I'm back in now, I guess!

92. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Hahahahahahahah BigCat – I'm with you!!!!!

93. Nats 128 - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Ramos must own a frame shoppe. A K Masterpiece!

94. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM

C'mon Rendon, you have to get that ball.

95. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Tatonka!

96. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM

For somebody just coming back from TJ surgery, Jordan's command is impressive. Usually that's the last thing to return.

97. Doc - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM

MLB needs to check Byrd for his chronic use of steroids. Not normal for his career at 37 years old to be hitting 17 dingers and having all those ribbies.

98. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Well 1 run wont hurtvif we keep playing solid.Was wondering if Rendon,'s real problem is no mullet.

99. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Marlins hitting coach Tino Martinez on hot seat over allegations of verbal + physical abuseWhat the hell?

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I juSt called and got a recording, but asked when playoff tickets went on sale.

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Bet you he didnt do it to Stanton.

102. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Not Rendon's most solid contact, but he'll take it however he can get it at this point.

103. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

That should have been an error charged to Rendon… He has got to make those routine plays…Extends the SP pitch count…

104. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I'm very, very happy for Rendon getting thy at hit!

105. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM

*IF* Nats win today, that would be three straight wins when Strasburg, Gio, and JZ aren't pitching.#youcantpredictbaseballThey've done that two in a row before, but not three in a row this season.

106. BigCat - Jul 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM

What section you trying to get manassas?

107. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM

David Proctor said… Marlins hitting coach Tino Martinez on hot seat over allegations of verbal + physical abusePerhaps Tino was reading some comments, eh? As we learn from some guys here — the way to get through to a team in a slump is to show some emotion and get angry, right?(snark mode=off)

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

214

109. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Yet another hit with RISP

110. BigCat - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Yep. Those 2 out RBI hits are daggers. Werth my boy

111. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Whew… Adam is in a serious slump… Need him to get going…

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

We have lots of hits, but lots of our outs are grounders where the batter pulked an outside pitch.Pull inside pitches not outside ones.

113. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

He is rolling over on a lot of pitches.

114. BigCat - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

W-w-we're actually hitting like a big league club.

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Maybe Schu is fixing some issues.

116. BigCat - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

What is jordons pitch count limit for season? Other words…. How many more games is he here for

117. paul brandt - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM

MNF, then Schu needs to start working on ALR next, he's really struggling.

118. ExposedinDC - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM

All of a sudden we are flush with starters…..hoping JZimm shakes his recent woes

119. BigCat - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Darn…. You need a back-hoe to fill that divot that Ramos left

120. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… Maybe Schu is fixing some issues.It seems like he's just saying the same things as Davey and Eck were saying (i.e., swing at good pitches!). But perhaps with Eck's firing, some batters are paying attention now.In pre-game show, Davey pointed out that he's been trying to get Span to swing at first-pitches if they are center cut fastballs and not fall behind in the count so much, and that Span seems to be able to do that better when he's not batting lead off.And, sure enough, Span's HR yesterday — Davey noted — was on a first pitch.==========OTOH – Span has taken a first pitch strike all three times thus far today!And yet he's 3-for-3!#youcantpredictbaseball

121. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Jordan has only 2 or 3 more starts, I think, based on what Davey said, assuming they go to the bullpen after 5 today.

122. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

And the storms are crossing 64 coming up from Charlottesville area now, so I'm guessing they have an hour or maybe 90 minutes before they get here, if nothing pops up before that.

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Taylor Jordan's chance of picking up his first in 99.7%

124. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Any word on McCatty?

125. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Phillies are down 4 to the Tigers (with bases loaded, 1 out). If they lose, it'll be their 8 loss in a row.

126. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

OK, KID! It's official, and they aren't making errors behind you. A little offense, just one TD and a FG, that's all. Good day for the kid–I hope it's not raining when they interview him.

127. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM

And Jhonny Peralta hit a Grand Slam. Phillies down big.

128. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Pulling a sluder heading sway almost guarentee gounder.Schu has work to do still.

129. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I am very happy for all our boys, especially Ramos,Span and Jordan. And for Jordan's folks.

130. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Charlie y Dave said the 8 RISP hits today are as many as the rest of this homestand combined. So I'm glad they got that today, but like slidell said earlier, I'll be happier when they start spreading them out.

131. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Nuts! I thought that might go.

132. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM

AGAIN Rendon crushes one, and wins a free consolation trip to the dugout to get his glove.

133. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Nice drive by Rendon, ball in the middle drive to middle.Harper was outer half of middle was hit to left, just not barrelled up, but the right direction.

134. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM

135. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Well Verlander has been scuffling. He's still good, but he's not immortal like he once was.

136. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Sofa, I'll be happy when they do it against Detroit and Atlanta next week!

137. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Terrific play, Rendon!

138. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I was hoping we wouldn't face Verlander…. Time to take this hot offense on the road, I guess…

139. BigCat - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Should get Byrd to pee in the jug

140. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Joe, they're pretty much going to have to do it from here on out for the next two months, and they (and we) know it.

141. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Did someone mention that Taylor Jordan's folks are in the stands today? I suppose I'd be surprised if they weren't, but do we know? I hope they are.

142. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Should get Byrd to pee in the jugI would prefer they use a specimen cup–somebody might re-use that jug for the Gatorade.; )

143. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Oooh, maybe that's what happened to McCatty…

144. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM

87 pitches for Jordan through 6. Good work, kid. Go get cleaned up.

145. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM

*standing ovation for T Jordan*. Good going, kid!

146. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM

BigCat said… Should get Byrd to pee in the jugGiven that he lost, what, 50 games? last year to PED problems — I'm sure he's doing it often.

147. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:53 PM

9-12 RISP!

148. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

HAHAHA Span does it again!

149. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Span likes hitting for Schu

150. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I love D Span….

151. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Denard Span? Where are you today, WODL?

152. BigCat - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Span might have 15 if Schu was here all year!!

153. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

15? Span would be on pace for 162!

154. BigCat - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Wonk. Look at Braun. You think he woulda went clean.

155. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Span hit a low insude half fast ball so right center is fine on that pitch.

156. Candide - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Tweeted this to Denard yesterday:@thisisdspan Tell Davey you want to bat cleanup against the Tigers next week!Wish I was that smart EVERY day.

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Of the primary 8 only one is batting below 260

158. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:00 PM

MrsB, you & my dear wife have something in common when it comes to Mr. Span. Like me, Mrs. Seamhead loves watching good outfielders.

159. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Yeah… Pitching duals and D win me over all day… I'll take good offense but I'm all about the D…I'm glad to see Span locked in… Now if only Rendon and Adam can get hot… Watch out!!!

160. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… Of the primary 8 only one is batting below 260Wow . . . remember when 3 of the 8 were batting below .200 ?

161. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Biggest attendance month for Nats in Nats history.

162. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Wonk – re your post at 4:05 – injuries will do that to you….But we still got hope the goon squad can get better….

163. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Stammen is annoying me.

164. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:10 PM

165. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Are you kidding Stammen? THROW STRIKES. A home run doesn't matter until you put men on.

166. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Me,too, DP.

167. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I'm so serious… Does Stammen have an injury???? He hasn't been right since ATl…

168. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Man, Stammen is not the same guy we were used to.

169. jeffwx - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM

was at the game yesterday standing behind the sect 313 cheerleading squad and ALR scorched a ball so I thought he was coming out of it, but maybe not.Need to get WODL's thoughts on Span

170. Nats 128 - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Taylor Jordan with a heck of a statline. 3.31 ERA

171. A DC Wonk - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Joe Seamhead said… Ok, I want to know if anybody here said at the beginning of July that Span would have a higher batting average than Rendon by the end of the month?WODL ? ;-)

172. PChuck - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM

A beat writer needs to ask Davey what's wrong with Stammen.

173. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Wonk, you are funny!

174. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Davey has been asked. He basically says that Stammen is fine but he's been the victim of bad luck. Which has been the case in a COUPLE of his games, but on the whole, he looks different to me.

175. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Does Scott Hairston have any hits after the first game with the team?

176. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM

128, ain't too shabby for Taylor, eh?

177. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Stammen hasn't looked sharp ever since pitching that gem for SS in Atl….

178. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Looks like everyone gets the day off for the rest of the game.

179. BigCat - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Roger still terrible. Guess Schu can't walk on water

180. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:23 PM

The answer to your question is "no" Manassas.

181. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I wouldn't have pitched Krol here…. I would have used Abad…

182. jeffwx - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM

With those goals accomplished, the Cubs will move bullpen pieces and are "definitely" listening to offers for right fielder Nate Schierholtz, Sherman reports.

183. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I dont think so

184. JD - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

MrsBWhy?

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Span not hitting well enough for WDOL

186. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Was going to say that, but decided to let it ride.

187. JD - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

JeffwxI wouldn't go crazy and be a buyer.our odds are still very long.

188. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I have another question/statement. Is it just my perception, or has this been about as civilized of a game blog as we've had in months, or what?

189. jeffwx - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM

so all the guys (Haren, Span, Soriano)I cussed Rizzo out for On Thursday (in the 9-7 win) are doing awesome. One day a bum, next day a genious…baseball a crap shoot

190. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM

JD- I'm assuming you're asking why use Abad… Well he hasn't been the sharpest and I would have given him the work…I know Krol didnt have a great outting his last time out…

191. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Lombo hitting like Schu taught him.

192. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Lombardozzi is hot right now. Rendon is still the better player, but given the scuffle he's in, I'd consider riding the hot hand until Lombo cools down.

193. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Defensively place Lombo second, rendon 3rd and Tracy first in 9th

194. jeffwx - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Old Crow Medicine Show

195. jeffwx - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Now's a great time to experiment with tracy at 3rd…not when the game is tied in the 9th.

196. jeffwx - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I like to sit behind first to play catch with Chad when he's at 3rd

197. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM

jeffwx said…I like to sit behind first to play catch with Chad when he's at 3rdLOL. That's the funniest comment in this thread.

198. jeffwx - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM