Instant analysis: Nats 14, Mets 1

Jul 28, 2013, 8:54 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

Game in a nutshell: Remember when the Nationals were a disaster? You know, like, three days ago? Well, they've suddenly won four of their last five games and look capable of going on a sustained run. OK, OK, so we've been down this road before, and given the way this season has gone, you'd be wise not to get too excited yet. But there's nothing wrong with enjoying today's lopsided victory, a complete thrashing of the Mets pitching staff. The Nationals rapped out a season-high 18 hits, getting at least one base hit from seven of their eight starting position players (all but Adam LaRoche). Wilson Ramos hit a grand slam. Denard Span hit another homer. Ian Desmond went 4-for-4 with two doubles. Ryan Zimmerman had three hits. Nobody was happier about all that than Taylor Jordan, who in his sixth career start finally earned his first career win, allowing one run over six innings. The Nationals have by no means turned their season around. But they're back to 52-54, and they're actually feeling good about themselves for the moment. So that's an improvement.

Hitting highlight: There were no shortage of options here, so let's not limit this to only one specific player or one specific inning, but instead to one specific part of the Nationals' lineup: the bottom ofRead more »

1. NCNatsie - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I'm telling ya. It's the song.

2. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM

OMG that interview with Julie and Taylor was awkward.

3. Candide - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM

No Gatorade? No shaving cream? WTF???

4. Chevy Chase Bob - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Finally pizza and wings from Popa John and Hard Times.

5. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM

6. sjm308 - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Wow – 18 hits for the kid. Am watching and waiting for the gatorade but its not coming!! Paging WOLD, there is a Mr. Span calling. We are still far away from any plans in Oct. but I like the fact that we are playing good baseball. No errors today and except for an easy groundball yesterday the Rendon botched (no run scored) we have played well for several games.Deserved day off and we have our big 3 primed for the next 3 games. Detroit might be a tad better than the Metropolitan's of NY but we certainly have to thinking we can play with anyone right now.Go Nats!

7. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

No Gatorade bath for Jordan….What an effort by Taylor and Abad (did he really come in with bases loaded and left them all there)Great game… Bats were in over load today…Just a great game…

8. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Davey sounds more perky today than he has in months.

9. natsfan1a - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Sadly, today my tomato plants fell to the squirrels before I got to eat even one tomato, but the Mets fell to the Nats so it's all good. I kinda wish there wasn't an off day seeing as how the Nats are going so well but they'll have to wait a day to start things up again.Congrats to Jordan. He's earned it – a few times.

10. sjm308 - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM

So, the McCatty thing is not good. Davey seems to have an idea what he is going through. Wishes for a quick recovery. Wonder how it works with no pitching coach? Does Lett take over more responsibilty? Since Davey doesn't use his coaches as sounding boards anyway (according to one poster) I guess he will make those decisions just like always.

11. natsfan1a - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM

What is the deal with McCatty? I missed the start of the game and heard only the brief mention during the game that he wasn't well.

12. sjm308 - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM

1a – you have squirrels, I fight the deer. They convinced me years ago that all of my tomatoes will be from the farmers market. They don't touch my herbs though so the caprese salad is still an option. I am a huge Nationals fan but loss of tomatoes is a pretty big loss.

13. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

No 1a – I need the off day… I haven't been to the grocery store in ages.. This will give me a good excuse!Sorry to hear about your tomatoes… I want to do a garden but I have cats to worry about!

14. sjm308 - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

1a – I am sure there will be more information but the brief stuff I heard from the press conference lead me to believe it was heart related. Davey talking about him staying in the hospital, missing the flight to Detroit, taking blood thinners and getting the heart rate down.

15. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Davey said McCatty would rejoin the team in Detroit. So it doesn't seem like a big deal.

16. BigCat - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Yeah. Thought Taylor might get the pie in the face. Good to see davey smile a little

17. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Dang… Desi and Span were both 4-4… Nice…

18. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Span just gave Coach Scau an accolade for a tip.McCatty's BP soared before the game. Davey said he's doing OK. Best wishes being sent his way..

19. natsfan1a - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM

sjm, we have the deer, too, but my neighbor turned me on to a device that works for them and I planted tomatoes for the first time in years. Unfortunately, the device doesn't work for squirrels and other critters. I do have the farmers market as a backup and my neighbor also gives me her "extras."MrsB, yes, I'll find something to do on the off day. Research anti-squirrel devices, perhaps. I just have the one cat but he keeps me occupied as well. He'll watch parts of the baseball games but gets bored and falls asleep. :-)

20. Nats 128 - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Joe, what did Span say about Schu?

21. natsfan1a - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Thanks for the McCatty updates, David and Joe. Sending good thoughts for him from this sector as well.

22. natsfan1a - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Oh, didn't see sjm's McCatty update before posting. Thanks, guys! Off to rustle up some dinner now.

23. Jimmy DeVino - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Change the hitting coach, get 18 hits.EASY PEASY!

24. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

She continued with him a discussion that FP and Carp started, thus he was clueless what she was talking about.

25. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Denard said Schu told him to look for a particular pitch, but I doubt anyone told him to swing at a pitch that was millimeters off the ground!

26. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Do we get 100% off on pizza as they scoted 7 x 2.

27. PChuck - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM

>>>ordan has now thrown 125 2/3 combined innings this year between the majors and minors, which may only leave him with one or two more starts before the Nationals shut him down for the season.It's actually about five more starts.

28. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Told him toblook for fastballs.Implying quit chaising breaking balls.Axtually what I heard one player say he is trying to concentrate on fastball.

29. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Manassas, I always think fastball first. I also think it's generally a bad idea to swing at a first pitch off speed pitch, especially a curve.How about our old buddy Alphonso Soriano goes 4-5 with a HR and 3 RBI's for the Evil Empire today?

30. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Gosh — I hope we crush Sanchez on Tuesday…

31. NCNatsie - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM

FP (or Carp) said last night Schu told Span to loosen his grip.

32. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM

great win.a sanchez and verlander when we visit detroit.

33. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Cards/Braves is on ESPN tonight..Go STL!

34. natsfan1a - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Works for me. :-)Manassas Nats' Fan said… Do we get 100% off on pizza as they scoted 7 x 2. July 28, 2013 5:18 PM

35. BigCat - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Gosh it's good to swing the bats. We had become almost unwatchable. And Haren won. Eck is gone also. There is daylight at the end of the tunnel. Manassas, gimme that playoff tickets phone number!

36. BigCat - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Ver lander has been getting rocked lately. All those 100 mph fastballs over the years maybe catching up with him

37. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM

38. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM

His velocity is down. He's been throwing around 92 lately, which is just unheard of from him. It's making him very hittable.

39. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Joe Seamhead said…Win four out the next five, boys! GYFNG!!!DC Wonk, here's an oddity for you: Jeter came off the DL for the 2nd time this month and homered on the first pitch that he saw. It was the first home run by a Yankee right hander since June 25th.July 28, 2013 5:55 PM

40. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM

The truth is: the remaining games against the Braves will determine how this season ends. 8 back with 9 to play, we control our own destiny. But that's very hard. The more ground we gain, the less perfect we have to be against them. This upcoming series against them is huge. We need to win 2/3 at the minimum.

41. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM

He told Harper to loosen up too

42. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I will take my chances winning 4 of eery 5.We lost too many early, to just win 2 of 3 for the next 2 to 3. Once we catch tge Braves we go back to winning 2 of 3.

43. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Win 1/2 against the Tigers and sweep the Brewers. That's doable, imo.

44. Secret wasian man - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Anybody notice Jewwits helmet? if he paid more than 7 bucks for that at walmart he got ripped off.

45. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 1mOne #Nats player, referencing McCatty's… um… T-shirt photo, "He was supposed to break hearts, but not his own."

46. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Looks like the hekmet the pop corn comes in.

47. paul brandt - Jul 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM

love the optimism fellow NI'ers but this was the Mets we beat….how quickly we forget we lost 6 in a row vs. the Dodgers & the Pirates before we won 1, going into this series…do hope this is a sign of good things to come but let's get to .500 first before we start calling in with our credit card #'s to reserve play-off tickets…wow!p.s. just saw the old town/Jordan post-game interview…yikes, way awkward.

48. JaneB - Jul 29, 2013 at 4:48 AM

They should have done the Gatorade. I can't believe they didn't do it.