Jul 28, 2013, 10:18 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Steve McCatty will spend the night in a District hospital after missing today's Nationals game with high blood pressure and an irregular heart beat, but the club's pitching coach is expected to fly Monday on the team's charter to Detroit and be in the dugout for Tuesday night's series opener against the Tigers.
McCatty was at Nationals Park this morning but started experiencing his symptoms more than an hour before gametime, according to manager Davey Johnson. He was taken to a nearby hospital, though not by ambulance, for examination by doctors.
Following the Nationals' 14-1 win over the Mets, Johnson said McCatty, 59, was doing "alright" and is "his usual grumpy self" but would be kept overnight for observation and to receive medication before he could travel. McCatty, a Michigan native, had been planning to fly to Detroit a day early but now will fly with the rest of the club on Monday afternoon.
"They'll give him some medication, thin his blood, and something to slow his heart rate down," Johnson said. "Hopefully he'll come out of the irregular beat. …Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta