Jul 28, 2013, 10:18 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Steve McCatty will spend the night in a District hospital after missing today's Nationals game with high blood pressure and an irregular heart beat, but the club's pitching coach is expected to fly Monday on the team's charter to Detroit and be in the dugout for Tuesday night's series opener against the Tigers.
McCatty was at Nationals Park this morning but started experiencing his symptoms more than an hour before gametime, according to manager Davey Johnson. He was taken to a nearby hospital, though not by ambulance, for examination by doctors.
Following the Nationals' 14-1 win over the Mets, Johnson said McCatty, 59, was doing "alright" and is "his usual grumpy self" but would be kept overnight for observation and to receive medication before he could travel. McCatty, a Michigan native, had been planning to fly to Detroit a day early but now will fly with the rest of the club on Monday afternoon.
"They'll give him some medication, thin his blood, and something to slow his heart rate down," Johnson said. "Hopefully he'll come out of the irregular beat. …Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday