Jul 29, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
As bad as things looked for the Nationals only a couple of days ago, the mood perked up considerably over the weekend. I think everyone forgot what it feels like to win three straight games.
Make no mistake, the Nationals still have plenty of issues. And there is precious little time to get those resolved and make an all-out run through the season's final 56 games. But while there isn't a lot of hope of this team reaching October, there is still a sliver of hope, one worth examining.
The good folks at Baseball Prospectus publish a daily "Playoff Odds Report," which is a fun read and one way to look at the state of things in both the NL and AL. The picture they paint for the Nationals isn't a particularly good one, but it's not entirely bleak, either.
In its simulation of the rest of the season, played out a million times, the Nationals emerge as NL East champs only 3.1 percent of the time. They capture one of the NL's two Wild Card berths anRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market