Game 107: Nats at Tigers

Jul 30, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

DETROIT — Good afternoon from Comerica Park, one of baseball's truly underrated ballparks. The Nationals are making only their second-ever appearance here, still seeking their first win after getting swept in June 2010. Stephen Strasburg was on the roster at that point, having made his second career start only two days earlier in Cleveland. Tonight, he'll actually pitch here against the Tigers, a compelling matchup in itself.

His team having won three straight at home against the Mets, Davey Johnson is sticking with the same lineup tonight against Anibal Sanchez. There is, of course, one twist: Since we're in an American League park, the DH is in effect. So tonight it'll be Chad Tracy, batting ninth behind all the other regulars.

Updates to come, please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at DETROIT TIGERS
Where: Comerica Park
Gametime: 7:08 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 179
Weather: Partly cloudy, 74 degrees, Wind 5 mph in from LF

LF Bryce Harper
2B Anthony Rendon
1B Adam LaRoche

1. bowdenball - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Many words have been spoken or written in efforts to convey the awfulness of the 2013 Nationals' bench. But I don't know of anything as effective as the fact that they're batting the DH 9th tonight. Think about that for a second. Nobody on the bench hits well enough to displace a middle infielder, or a catcher, or a defense-first center fielder. That's embarrassing.

2. mvcarroll - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:33 PM

What's worse, bowdenball, is that we have pitchers that would be a more effective DH than our bench guys…

3. Tcostant - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Davey must not read this blog, I said no Chad Tracy at DH!

4. Grandstander - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Let Strasburg hit and designate Tracy to hit for LaRoche.

5. mick - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Everythin', everythin', everythin's gonna be alright this mornin'Ooh yeah, whoawNow when I was a young boy, at the age of fiveMy mother said I was, gonna be the greatest man aliveoh yeah….

6. mick - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Yeah bring me champagne when I'm thirsty.Bring me reefer when I want to get high.just chillin, listenening to Muddy, waiting for ball game

7. bowdenball - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Funny stuff here. But I apologize for starting the game thread off negatively, so I'll try to turn it around: the two games at Nationals Park vs. the Tigers were great fun. So much talent on the field, and a lot of mutual respect. Hope we get more of the same today and tomorrow. And wow, these pitcher-hitter matchups are gonna be something else. Strasburg vs. Cabrera? Verlander vs. Harper? That is must-see TV.

8. James Joyce - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Span and Tracy should be swapped.

9. Charlie Buck - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM

10. Doc - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Here's your obvious problem with the DH in the National League: Chad Tracy vs. Victor Martinez–not only is that not real baseball, it's downright goofy!!!!!All the National League owners who voted to keep the DH out some 43 years ago, have gone to the Happy Hunting Ground—time to get real!

11. Knoxville Nat - Jul 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Charlie B, with Verlander going tomorrow for the Tigers you are more likely to see Bernadina instead of Tracy, if any changes at all.

12. Secret wasian man - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:01 PM

13. bowdenball - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Secret wasian man said…"James Joyce said,Span and Tracy swapped. How about a PIZZA and Tracy swapped. Let Lombo DH."Tracy has a higher on base % and slugging % than Lombo, both this season and for their careers. If you don't care about how well your DH gets on base or hits for power, I think you've got a great idea here.

14. natsfan1a - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:14 PM

(Hey, it worked the first two times. Yeah, like it made a difference. :-))natsfan1a said…In the immortal words of Bryce Harper, let's go!July 27, 2013 11:56 AM

15. bowdenball - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Sorry, I was looking at Tracy's 2010 numbers because there was a setoff after them on his B-R page. Comment withdrawn, and I apologize profusely to Secret wasian man.

16. natsfan1a - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM

D'oh! I forgot to order my 50% off pizza.Secret wasian man said… James Joyce said,Span and Tracy swapped. How about a PIZZA and Tracy swapped. Let Lombo DH. July 30, 2013 4:01 PM

17. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Just let Strasburg hit…he is a better hitter than Tracy.

18. FL Bassist - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Just saw "ladyandthenats" blog for the first time, the entry about recent player performance. Great blog, BTW, articles are easy to read through and full of facts.Question for whomever has an answer: why are the Nats letting Rendon "twist in the wind" given his numbers?If the team is still competing for the post-season, Rendon hasn't helped much at the plate of late (for a little while actually), and in the field he's made some great plays but some costly errors as well, so that doesn't seem explain it. It can't be great for the psyche of a young player to struggle for a prolonged period unless they feel learning to swim in the "big pool" is the best thing.Thoughts? Thanks.

19. David Proctor - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:24 PM

FL bassist, this is something every young player goes through. Harper went through it last year, Puig this year, etc. Teams develop a book on you and it's hard to adjust. Stop looking at the results and look at the approach. Rendon has hit several balls VERY hard and been robbed. He's never looked overwhelmed to me. The only way to get out of it is to let him keep playing. Of course, it's frustrating sometimes. But he'll be fine.

20. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM

"If the team is still competing for the post-season, Rendon hasn't helped much at the plate of late (for a little while actually), and in the field he's made some great plays but some costly errors as well, so that doesn't seem explain it. It can't be great for the psyche of a young player to struggle for a prolonged period unless they feel learning to swim in the "big pool" is the best thing.Thoughts? Thanks."My thought is this. Why is Danny Espinosa or Scott Boras using the handle "FL Bassist"?

21. Stew Magnuson - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I went to an Independent League game once where some guy was DH and batting ninth. Can't hit, can't field and you're playing for an independent league team.

22. FL Bassist - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM

@The Real Feel:"Why is Danny Espinosa or Scott Boras using the handle "FL Bassist"?"I don't think Espi or Boras is a bass player, but I could be wrong. My question is a fair one given the numbers (.091 as of late as per the blog) and given that the Nats are still not close to eliminated from the postseason. BTW, I won't be daunted by sarcastic responses in posting to this blog.

23. jeffwx - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Time to start the Lombo Must Play protest

24. jeffwx - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Everbody talking about lombo, long ball,sharks, base-ball with alcohol….All we are saying is give the hot bat a chance.

25. bowdenball - Jul 30, 2013 at 8:58 PM

FL Bassist-I think the answer to your question is another question- who replaces him? Lombo's offensive numbers are so bad that even a slumping Rendon is preferable, assuming Rendon eventually reverses course as all slumping players do. Espinosa still seems to be having problems in Syracuse. They were able to wait out Harper's adjustment period in 2012 when they were clinging to a slim lead during the late spring and summer, and it paid off huge later in the season. The hope is that the same will be true of Rendon.

26. jeffwx - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Lombo batting .251 bowdenball, however we can keep both lombo and rendon in the lineup tonight.Lombo makes better contact than Tracy….trading places.

27. A DC Wonk - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM

FL Bassist — I think the other key, as David Proctor noted, is that he's hitting the ball well. He's got an absurdely low BABIP, and so most think that he's numbers will turn around with more play.

28. jeffwx - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:08 PM

In his past 5 games, Lombo is 7 for his last 12 with 2 doubles.put in the hot bat against the tigers and let Tracy play the pine…he's not in the teams future plans

29. jeffwx - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM

does anyone have an answer to why the Nats didn't make a qualifying offer to Edwin Jackson so we could get an extra draft pick when he left.The post did not ?

30. David Proctor - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM

It was pretty apparent that Jackson wouldn't accept the offer, but I guess Rizzo didn't feel comfortable taking that risk.

31. bowdenball - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM

jeffwx said…"In his past 5 games, Lombo is 7 for his last 12 with 2 doubles."And Chad Tracy has an OPS of 1.077 over the last 14 days.Small sample sizes are a terrible basis on which to make lineup decisions.

32. alexva - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM

jeff, because he could have accepted it.

33. sjm308 - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:21 PM

That is one of those hindsight situations that makes you scratch your head. I think most of us felt Jackson would get that qualifying offer. Who knows if he would have taken it and if he did, I have to think he would have performed better here in his 2nd year than with the Cubs. Oh well, water over the damn or whatever.Question: I hope this does not happen but if Tracy goes 0-4 is this the last game we will see him in a Nats uniform? (actually, I would not mind seeing him as a coach down the road but I am guessing he still feels he has more years left)Go Nats!!

34. sjm308 - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:22 PM

alexva: Jackson really wasn't all that bad last year. I blame Davey for that game 5 mess out of the bullpen.

35. NatsLady - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM

jeffwx, I always assumed it was because they were afraid EJax would accept the offer.

36. jeffwx - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Bowden ball, where you getting that 1.077 OPS for Tracy. He's 7 for 22 in the last 14 games (better than I thought) And Lombo's .251 average is over 208 ABs.But Go with the hot bat, BB…We're not saying put Lombo in as an everyday starter. Use him when you can like tonight when we have a DH.Tracy got no future here.Lombo is an excellent utility player that all teams need.

37. jeffwx - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Thanks for you answers…Probably right.but EJAX proved smarter than Rizzo with the 4 year deal with the Cubs.I hope he gets something when Haren moves on.

38. sjm308 - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Ejax definitely won that situation. He had been bouncing around for so many years, I think he was determined to get a long term deal and not only did he do that, he got way more in money than I think anyone here figured.

39. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Go nats. Did get my Papa John's pizza yesterday.

40. sjm308 - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Jeffwx – I am actually hoping that Rizzo stays "in-house" after Haren leaves. I have heard both NatsJack and Drew praise what we have in the minors and I am excited with how Rizzo has really emphasized pitching development. I almost hate to put this out there but one of my fantasies is Haren continuing to figure things out and that 3.13 era for the last 4 games continues to improve. We sneak into the playoffs, he plays a role and then signs for 2 more years at a very low price. The chances of any of that happening are so low its not even worthy of Feel Wood giving me a sarcastic reply but I do like how Haren has handled his poor beginning here. I like his being a standup guy and I wish him well. I especially wish him well every 5th day when he pitches for us!!Go Nats!!

41. jeffwx - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM

LOL and Agreed, SJM, Just would like the club to get a draft pick if Haren does leave. One of the best things about short-term free agency signings.

42. jeffwx - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Manassas, have you tried Tony's in Manassas…I think it's worth it for pizza

43. David Proctor - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Remember the last time Tracy was in the lineup, he got 3 hits. Can't predict ball…

44. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Live near Tony's. Love their Veal parmasean sub.

45. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Last time Span batted 7th 4 hits.

46. baseballswami - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM

So sad that kid Bryce spent so much time with a couple weeks ago died. Glad he got to throw out the pitch and have a happy day at Nat's Park. Puts things in their proper place though. My thoughts are with his family. McCatty still in the hospital also. Sobering stuff.,

47. David Proctor - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Brian Goodwin was just scratched from his start. That worries me…

48. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM

That is suspicious David.

49. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:31 PM

So far the 2 games I have watched today have been good. Brewers 6 Cubs 5, now in the 8th pirates cards tied at 1

50. jeffwx - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM

welcome Nate ScherholtzTheo is a wise judge of talent

51. jeffwx - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Darn, now I am craving a veal parm sub ;

52. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Coach Schu is fixing Span according to Span. I guess Tracy is next on the list.Rendon needs to just get lucky and find holes.

53. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Kilgore says Goodwin scratched but not because of a trade.

54. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Any details or just that little statement.

55. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Twitter, nothing else.

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Thanks. Seemed suspicious to me.

57. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Jake Peavy scratched? Who is gettinh him.

58. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I guess I was right earlier today on the Dodgers. they got Brian Wilson and his beard.

59. Knoxville Nat - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Ghost,Did the Dodgers also pick up Mike Love or Al Jardine?

60. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:02 PM

"That's water over the damned"! I have a new favorite phrase! Thanks!

61. ExposedinDC - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM

What should we do guys….stand pat….minor tinkering…..or major splash. I personally would try to improve our bench and possibly solidify the 7th inning.

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:10 PM

3 bagger

63. David Proctor - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM

More bad luck for Rendon. That ball was hit pretty hard.

64. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Rendon sill no luck.0-1 RISP

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:13 PM

1-2 RISP

66. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:13 PM

What insect bothering zim and fielder

67. BigCat - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Game over. Stra gonna shut these punks out!!

68. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Schu fix ALR like you have done well with Span.

69. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM

LaRoche needs to be released…not hitting clean-up.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Rendon says i hit a bullet he hits crap.2-3 RISP

71. BigCat - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Come on desi. Lets break their back right here!

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM

2-4 RISP but only 1 run.

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Pete Rose giving Bryce fielding tips.

74. David Proctor - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Bob scared me…

75. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Cabrera and Fielder too many pitches but at least no runs.

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Ball was hit hard, but lots of space in that part of the field.

77. paul brandt - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM

apologize if this was mentioned previously but just learned that Gavin Rupp lost his battle with brain cancer…some of you may recall earlier this month that Bryce spent an incredible amount of time with him on a visit to Nats park, article was both incredibly sad and uplifting that Bryce took the kind of time he did to make this kid's day…way sad.

78. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Well the hitting in the second not quite as good as tge first.

79. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Sup folks… Almost forgot about the game… How did SS do against Cabrera and Fielder?We are 2-4 in RiSP… But only 1 run???

80. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Strasburg good second. 7 pitches total of 24

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Infield single by wert with zim on second.Cavrera single fielder a walk.

82. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Ahhh… Thanks…

83. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:44 PM

It's something about A Sanchez I just don't care for… Really hope we beat this team tonight…

84. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:50 PM

ALR in real need of fixing.RISP now 2 for 5

85. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Sanchez gets behind every count….

86. BigCat - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

When did laroche get a big hit last Seems like a year ago. I'm close to giving up on him

87. phil dunton - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:55 PM

88. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM

First 3 innings for Stras nice.

89. pedrocerrano - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM

LaRoche is a real pro, and it's awesome when he's producing because he'll at the very least give you a constructive at-bat and he's got a great glove. But now if you peel back the rose colored wrap and he's a .230 hitting first baseman getting 8 figures a year.

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM

ALR last big hit the triple (that should have been a sibgle) that gave us extra runs

91. phil dunton - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Over the winter, just about everyone on the board said that signing an aging Laroche for big bucks after a career season was a bad move. WE WERE RIGHT! Tyler Moore will be 28 by the time Laroche is gone.

92. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Why oh why do the Nats stare at fastballs for strike three.And really Ian, two at bats, two pitches. One run won't beat the tigers guys.

93. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Interesting SZ tonight…. But has Sanchez got ahead of any of our batters… Maybe we shouldn't be as aggressive…Great battle by Jayson….

94. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:05 AM

"Why oh why do the Nats stare at fastballs for strike three."Because the pitch was well outside. But to the umps credit, he gave Strasburg the same call.

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM

If ump is calling it a sreike it is not a ball.I missed the Fielder at bat saw it was 0-2. Hen 4 balls. Were any close to a strike.

96. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM

can't afford to have both 0-17 ALR and ofer Tracy in the lineup at the same time esp against these AL teams.

97. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM

pinch hit for Tracy, you stubborn old geezer

98. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Lombo should be Dh as he is hitting better and is a switch hitter.

99. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Proctor if – if – that ball was outside it was by an inch. Certainly not well outside, not something to stare at.

100. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Manassas no, it appears SS wants nothing to do with him.

101. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I thought the last pitch to Fielder was a K…

102. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Stras' stuff is nasty tonight…hope we can score a few more

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Need to hit the ball harder to get it by the third baseman.

104. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I miss old Tiger stadium.

105. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Chad Tracy infield single…

106. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Tigers announcers saying Tracy has been a good pinch hitter for the Nats this season. Now that is some poor advance work.

107. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:21 AM

oops…i forgot about Chad's speed.

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

See where Wheels Tracy hit that ball and how.When these team shift on ALR he should hit that hard and that direction for some hits.

109. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I guess Sanchez has stettled down

110. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

That at bat by Rendon just pissed me off…

111. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:23 AM

MNFgood pointjeffwx…Chad reminds me of Lou Brock running lol

112. Scott Margenau - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:23 AM

phil duntonJuly 30, 2013 7:55 PMTyler Moore needs to play every day for the Nats at first base. Send the .230 hitting Laroche packing before the deadline and eat some of his salary. Moore can hit, but not when he bats once or twice a week. He's got a future, Laroche doesn't.I agree. Laroche way to streaky and unreliable. Can't have that at first base

113. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM

wondering if Rendon and Lombo should platoon? that may make sense for both of them

114. paul brandt - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM

mick said…I miss old Tiger stadium.mick, why? haha… I always think of Sparky, Alan Trammel and Lou Whitaker whenever I see pix of old Tiger stadium…never had the chance to visit but certainly appeared to have some character.

115. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Scott…I hope your right about MooreI just do not see it…he did not adjust at all after teams figured him out

116. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:27 AM

paulI hear you but this old dog's childhood remembers…Lolich, McClain, Kaline, Cash, Wilson, Horton, Stanley, Northrup, McCauliffe, and old Mayo SmithI loved Willie Horton he was one bad mofo!

117. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM

forgot Bill Freehan

118. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Charlie Buck said… Chad Tracy is a bum. I suspect we'll see Hairston or Lombo tomorrow after he throws up a O'fer.Sorry to disappoint you . . .

119. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:30 AM

LaRoche lost a shoot load of weight…looks like the strawman from the wizard of oz..Nice shot straw

120. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:30 AM

what are he fences here, 500 ft plus?lol

121. RickH - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:30 AM

ALR gets hold of one!

122. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM

jeffwx said… can't afford to have both 0-17 ALR and ofer Tracy in the lineupThanks for the reverse jinx! ;-)

123. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM

jeffwxoh, I can tell you whythe ocean's near the shorehee hee

124. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM

And just when folks discount Adam… He does that… Hopefully that hit is the beginning of a hot streak!

125. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM

yep…Tracy's speed makes up for his low BA

126. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Hondo ended up a Tiger

127. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:33 AM

and Tracy too..time to bunt more….I never realized how fast he is.

128. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Send Desmond here.

129. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:34 AM

And Tracy reminds me of the lion…now who is the tin man ???

130. Scott Margenau - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I knew if a talked smack bout ALR. He would get a hit.Double reverse lock

131. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Tracy would have beat that one out

132. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:35 AM

RISP 2-7

133. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Had a good opportunity there…

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:36 AM

But you didnt do the reverse lock on Span.

135. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Well, I suspect Stras wasn't expecting more than a run or two for support.More Ks needed.

136. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:37 AM

jefwxha halet's see how about Davey as our Tinman

137. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM

why get mad.you knew Span would not come though

138. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM

You just can't win stranding runners. Span still stinks. I thought maybe the corner was turned . But that wasn't a corner. It was the Mets.

139. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:39 AM

If I were king of the forreeeest…. hee hee

140. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I'm mad because Lombo should be playing. Rendon has hit the wall and just can't hit anymore.

141. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Wasian, with Span its inevitable…you have to hope for a walk when he is up with RISP

142. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:41 AM

The tin man is Span. Scarecrow is Desmond.

143. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Wasian…I agree, or at least have them platoon. I think Rendon needs to sit a few and make adjustments. Do not understand Davey's thinking at all

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:42 AM

How if ALR is holding Fielder can that ball get by?

145. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:42 AM

this can get funny…who is the Wizard, Dorothy, and the Wicked witch of the west?

146. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Again Mick. Davey does not have to play him. Desmond swings for the fences every time. Looks like another good pitching outing for naught. Should have scored more in the first

147. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Adjust what. He is hitting ball just at people.

148. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Rizzo is the Wizard…"oh no my dear, I'm not a bad man, i'm just a very bad wizard" hee hee

149. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Rizzo clearly the Wizard. He's fake.

150. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:44 AM

We need a k right now.

151. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I could wile away the hours, conferring with the bloggers, consultin with the game,

152. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Julie is Dorothy she wants to go home and cheer for the Mets

153. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM

MNFjust to refocus by sitting a few games, he needs it

154. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM

jeffwx and MNFlol

155. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Werth is ToTo though i think he is a scotty not whatever ToTo was.

156. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM

how bout a K right now Stras?

157. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM

And then I'd be thinkingThat this season is a stinkingIf we only had a coach.

158. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM

wasianlolololo

159. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Agree to much pitch to contact right now

160. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:48 AM

yes sir stras!!!

161. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Now one more out.

162. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Pay no attention to the GM behind the curtainLombo could be totoand werth could play all the flying monkeysoh my DR. K!!

163. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:49 AM

That pitch took guts!!!

164. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:49 AM

if Stras gets out of this…I smell a nice inning for the Nats in the 7th

165. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:50 AM

As for the lion Storen's mom on twitter.

166. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Bring back HROD for the witch.

167. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Screw that thought

168. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM

so did that one

169. paul brandt - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM

that sucked

170. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Sigh. Get em tomorrow.

171. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I guess the fences are not 500 feetoh wellgame over

172. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Avila? With his sub-Mendoza line?Uggh . . .

173. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Stras didnt come close to the target

174. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Terrible pitch….

175. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:52 AM

like Bobby C just said, you did not see that comingkinda like this season, you did not see this coming

176. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM

If Stras is ever going to be great and live up to his hype, he can not throw pitches like that….very disappointing!

177. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM

The real problem was the double down tge line where eas ALR that opened up everything.If you are goibg field under .250 you cant afford to miss ones just to your side.

178. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM

There he is!!!

179. BigCat - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Game. Set. Match. Night night

180. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Pathetic. Barves up 8 3. That's ten games back. Season over. What s terrible season. Just terrible. Pathetic how ohlendorf, Haren, and Tyler Jordan get it done and our so called Stars don't.

181. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:55 AM

very frustrating…you do not expect your ace to let that happen

182. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 22sNot only was that the first time Strasburg had ever allowed a slam. It was the first HR he'd ever allowed with more than one man on.

183. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:56 AM

And that's why we are a third place team.Go ahead and sell Rizzo. Not our year. I'll keep rooting just like I keep buying lottery tickets.

184. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Darn, wanted to see Jose VerasSantiago will make the highlight reels

185. BigCat - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:56 AM

It's not our year

186. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I am not mad at Stras as I am ALR and the hitters. Stras hurt but never should jave been up.

187. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:57 AM

And I am just utterly sick of Carp yelling ripped, he nailed, stroked….. They are outs Carp you moron. This team stinks. It's not even August and the season is long gone. Yeah I'm pissed pissed pissed.

188. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:58 AM

wasian….that is why I say, Nats should just try to finish above 500 this season… try to finish in 2nd in the East. At season end, the Lerners and Rizzo need a serious face to face and decide what players are winners and losers and who can you win a championship with… Not a lot of mentally tough players on this team I am afraid. Stras is not mentally tough yet. an ace pitcher does not give up a grand slam period in that situation when your team needs a win.

189. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I must have more reading problems who is the second team we are behind?

190. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Sell and get a high draft pickALR to Yanks

191. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Then turn the sound down. Easy solution

192. paul brandt - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM

how do you put that on SS? 2-1 pitch, 96mph, bases loaded ball was low and down (kind of)…dude has pitched a gem up to this point, its the offense as usual that SUCKS not the pitching…same old story.

193. jeffwx - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:00 AM

We are behind the Braves, 5 games a piece

194. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I bet I can a hall of famer who has done.Way over reaction.

195. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM

David that stat does not make me feel better…that was not the time for Stras to give that up …I only hope he learns from it as well as learn about what he has to do to be great…right now he is very good, he is not great by any strecth

196. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM

We would have lost 2. 1. On a sac fly. So who cares about the granny. The hitting is disgusting as is the managing. Last year we would have pitched our way out of that.

197. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Could fit there

198. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:02 AM

jeffwx said…Sell and get a high draft pickALR to Yanksagreed…while he has value

199. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:02 AM

He missed tge spot

200. BigCat - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:03 AM

If my dad was alive he would say Stra is not a " money" player. He'll win you some against the marlins etc. but when you need him to step up and blank someone. …… He ain't got it.