Jul 30, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
DETROIT — Steve McCatty remains in a D.C. hospital two days after he was admitted with high blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat, but the Nationals hope their pitching coach will be released on Wednesday and rejoin the club sometime soon after that.
“Cat’s doing alright,” manager Davey Johnson said before tonight’s game against the Tigers. “They’re just keeping him the hospital tonight, and then they’ll probably let him out tomorrow. Just being really careful with him, and I’m glad they’re doing that.”
McCatty, 59, was taken to the hospital Sunday morning after he experienced atrial fibrillation at Nationals Park before the club’s series finale against the Mets. He has been receiving medication for the condition since and was hopeful of joining the Nationals on their Monday afternoon charter flight to Detroit.
Doctors, though, want McCatty to remain in the hospital until the medication takes full effect and allows him to travel without concern. It’s unclear when that will be the case, but it’s unlikely he’ll return to the dugout in time for Wednesday afternoon’s finale of this brief, two-game series in Detroit, his hometown.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs