Jul 31, 2013, 3:46 AM EST
DETROIT — He had dominated one of baseball’s toughest lineups all night, but here stood Stephen Strasburg in the bottom of the sixth inning Tuesday night, needing to execute one more pitch in order to escape a bases-loaded jam and keep the Nationals and Tigers tied at Comerica Park.
The count was 2-1 to Alex Avila, and Wilson Ramos called for a fastball down and away to Detroit’s .193-hitting catcher. Strasburg, though, misfired by a foot, leaving the 96-mph heater on the lower-inside corner, right in Avila’s wheelhouse. As the ball soared toward the right-field bleachers and the crowd of 41,880 rejoiced the grand slam, Strasburg could only soak it all in, mutter a couple of things and try to recompose himself and finish his evening.
The rest of the Nationals, meanwhile, could only take a deep breath and come to grips with their latest dose of stark reality: This 5-1 loss to Detroit, combined with the Braves’ lopsided win over Colorado, leaves them a full 10 games back in the NL East entering the final day of July.
“I really could care less what the Braves do,” shortstop Ian Desmond said. “We’re [three] games under .500. We’ve got to worry about ourselves. That’s first and foremost. And then the rest will take care of itself.”
It may not matter if the rest takes care of itself. The Nationals aren’t holding up their end of the bargain, and because of it they’re digging themselves into an even deeper hole.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?