Game 108: Nats at Tigers

Jul 31, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

DETROIT — As much as the Nationals have struggled over the years against Anibal Sanchez, might they actually be looking forward to facing Justin Verlander today? OK, that might be stretching things a bit. But 2013 Verlander (3.99 ERA, 1.409 WHIP) isn't exactly 2011-2012 Verlander (2.52 ERA, 0.987 WHIP), so perhaps there's a sliver of hope.

Davey Johnson is trying a slightly different look for today's game. Denard Span (15-for-42 in his career vs. Verlander) is leading off, with Bryce Harper right behind him. Meanwhile, the red-hot Jayson Werth (.371/.448/.629 in July) swaps spots with the ice-cold Adam LaRoche (.167/.237/.298 in July).

Gio Gonzalez gets the nod for the Nationals, hoping to keep this potent Detroit lineup in check and get his team back on the winning track before they head out of town for a weekend in Milwaukee.

Updates to come…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at DETROIT TIGERS
Where: Comerica Park
Gametime: 1:08 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 9, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 176
Weather: Cloudy, 74 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from LF

CF Denard Span
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth

1. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Orioles are going after Michael Morse. That adds insult to injury.

2. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:54 PM

NatsFanSinceStart–That is ridiculous. You come on here and just whale away on my Nats. 20-1! Where the hell do you even come up with that number? LOD.I get tired of this negativism. I mean, I could see you predicting a final score of, say, 18 to 2, but 20-1? Come on…..

3. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM

MrsB I Hope Ross O is OK too but seriously, the back-end of the rotation is the least of our problems.

4. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Well, we knew Rendon was going to have some growing pains coming out of AAA… He has definitely had some miscues at both 2nd and 3rd but his bat justified him being there…One has to hope that DJ's way will work with and for him — keep giving him opportunities to get going again…

5. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Span is fine today.

6. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Where would we be without Span and his key base hits?

7. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Wonk, I am a long-time Espinosa-supporter. I shut up about him for a while because I was getting totally ridiculedon here–and I'm by no means saying he is a solution, or even that he should come back up right now. It's just that the "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" wrote him off as hopeless, mental, etc. etc. etc.When you see a talented kid like Rendon not cutting it (right away) you realize how very extraordinary Harper is–and how difficult baseball is at this level. Rendon will get there, but he's not going to rescue this team, this season.

8. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

JD – I hope we keep it that way… but i am more so talking about with the T Jordan shut down, if Det is even healthy and which Haren we get…But pitching isnt a problem if we are hitting… which, right now, we arent…

9. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

WODL, you won't give it up will you?

10. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Unfortunately aout the same. If the whole team followed his lead we would be fine.Harper has 2 hits too.

11. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Even though it is a small sample size, I'm also not impressed with Rendon when he has played 3rd.

12. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM

2 grand slams and we only lose this game by 1 run!

13. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

RZim delivers another GIDP. Where have I seen that before.

14. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Harper has been hitting like Harper should be hitting since the ASB. Well over .300 with several XBH. It's good to see. Unfortunately, it's about the only good thing to see right now.

15. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

You idiots need to stop picking on Rendon. The problem is Rizzo's refusal to acknowledge the fact that Zimmerman needs to move to 1B. If you are going to bring up a young guy and play him out of position, at least let him learn the position in the minors. Rizzo didn't even let him do that…"He will play 3B. That is where we drafted him to play." What a great philosophy for bringing up a talented kid like Rendon. You can't expect Rendon to keep switching positions and be a gold glover over there. Zimmerman has been playing 3B his whole career and he can't even throw the ball to 1B. I have more confidence in watching a 12-year old make that throw.

16. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Wild Card!!! For some reason, it reminds me of the Simpsons' spoof of The Music Man.Monorail! Monorail! Monorail! That is more of a Shelbyville idea….. This team in the Wild Card…..Hahahahahahahhahah…. Can't breathe…… Mick is the one who always makes me enjoy reading here….

17. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:01 PM

The anti-social one is back. If you preface your post with "you idiots", I ain't reading it. Grow up

18. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM

DP – Werth is good to see right now… he has been on fire.. actually the entire OF has been playing well…

19. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Werth has been unintentionally-intentionally walked to get to LaRoche twice today by Verlander.

20. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:04 PM

LaRoche…

21. Tcostant - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Ohlendorf was only throwing in the mid-80's in the last inning of his last start. Maybe he was hurt then???

22. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM

MRSB. At this point I don't care who is in the rotation. Bring up Karns, Rosenbaum whoever. The bigger issue is we still have ALR in the middle of the lineup next year and an unnecessary expensive closer still here next year.

23. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM

ok I admit this is not looking good.

24. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Oh adam… *sigh*

25. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Answer to someone's question. This was the worst Gio game I could find.7/20/2009http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK200907200.shtml

26. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:10 PM

JD – I'm in full agreement, my friend… Our offense is offensive…

27. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Give what up? It doesn't matter if Span hits .400 the rest of the year. We needed him to be up and ready to go on day one. Not August 1. Day 1. I see all over people are beginning to realize that the Span and Soriano deals tore the team apart, but we will continue to see them supported here until the bitter end….

28. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:10 PM

The current Marlins manager played in that game and went 2/5 off Gio, NL. Lol…

29. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM

On the bright side A.J Cole pitched another strong game at AA. No earned runs 3 walks and 6 strike outs in 6 innings.

30. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Time for the 9 run rally.

31. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I guess we will see next year but Ryan Zimmerman may end up being the Alfonso Soriano that the Nats were not smart enough to let go, but if Ryan Zimmerman is the face of the franchise for the next six years, he better start playing more like David Wright….

32. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:14 PM

C and D sound disgruntled…

33. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Rendon, Rendon, Rendon… *sigh*

34. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Jake Johanssen has been very good so far in the minors too.

35. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:22 PM

First 2 batters are fine Wonder how many % of Desi's. K are looking. How come their flies. Fall short and tgeirs have no troble clearing the fence.

36. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM

How come Craig does fine in long relief, but whenever we put him in for one inning, it seems like he sucks?

37. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Justin Maxwell to the Royals…

38. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:26 PM

DP, FP and Carp said as a former starter, Stammen sometimes needs an inning or so to get the feel for his slider.

39. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:30 PM

We have got to beat that out!

40. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM

This day just keeps getting better.

41. EmDash - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM

It's the least of the Nats' problems, but I find myself maybe most upset today about Ohlendorf's injury because it was so obviously likely with his mistreatment in his last start, and so easily avoidable. He was allowed to throw 114 pitches – the most he's thrown in a big league game since *2009* – even though his velocity went down 10 MPH between the first and last innings he threw. Awful. He was at least a nice story to root for, a guy reinventing himself after lots of struggle, but if his velocity's down that much he probably should be out for a while.

42. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Just what we need, Harper with an oblique? He does not look right.

43. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Um…someone take him out. It's a 10-1 game.

44. NatsNutty - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM

If it's now "wait till next year," but we still have the same team next year, ipso facto, wouldn't the results for next year be the same as this year? "Inquiring minds want to know!"

45. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Not to pile on but didn't Proctor tell us last night we would get a split? Oh well it's ok Proct.

46. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I never said we would get a split. I said let's wait until the series is over before freaking out. Feel free to freak out now.

47. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM

EmDash–agree, and that was 100% on Davey. He got greedy, AGAIN.

48. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Span and Harper are the only ones who did anything today (save Jayson W's 2 walks) but is Harper hurt now?

49. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM

It looked like an oblique, but he took two good swings afterwards. I guess we'll find out. I don't get why he was allowed to finish the AB. Maybe it really was just a cramp.

50. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM

EmDash – I was very surprised that Ross O pitched… Said it earlier… I was thinking Craig Stammen, whole time…But Im hopeful that he is okay…

51. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Oblique hurt because he swung way to hard for non contact. If tou are going to swibg that hard you need to make contact.Then Davey let him stay in . Booooooo

52. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM

No, NatsNutty. Variability in MLB overlaps seasons. The Cincy Reds only won 79 games in 1971 sandwiched in between two pennant winners. Everything that could have gone wrong this year has gone wrong. Regression to the mean is our friend ….unless……

53. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Well.. we beat them here and they be us there…Wish this road trip could have started differently, but alas, this inconsistent offense is baffling…

54. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM

What is the biggest comeback in Nats history?

55. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Bud Norris going to the Orioles.

56. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I was very surprised that Ross O pitchedIt's been five days, right? Isn't that normal for a starter?

57. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM

The stars of,this team have been pathetic this season. Mr october has to make a big pitch last night and he can't. Cy young runner up gets crushed today and smiles about it. Jordan appears to have hit the wall. ALR is a disaster at the plate. Ry Zimm is a disaster in the field…. How in the world can you win like that?

58. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Stammen is a piece of work.When it matters hasnt pitched well.When not close he pitches fine.

59. EmDash - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM

It's 10-1. Take the maybe-injured guy you really need healthy out. For god's sake.

60. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM

O's trying to keep up with both the Red Sox and Rays…Rays have the pitching though…

61. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Old news.How is that insults

62. NatsNutty - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I hope you're right, William O.! I just received an email that my 2014 season tickets will renew on August 5! I will renew forever, but I need to feel some hope for the future!

63. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM

And it looks like tomorrow we will go to war with the same 25 and hope they turn it around.World Series or bust!

64. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Hahaha David just messing with you. I stopped freaking out a long time ago.

65. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Boy that's all I need. Ravens win Super Bowl. Os win World Series.

66. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I'm sorry, but I'm really down on Davey. You can argue Rizzo all you want, but he presented Davey with a team that had very few holes. If Davey didn't like the bullpen, he had a tongue–he could have said so, instead of gallavanting all over the world.I was just listening to a potential manager on KLaw's podcast. He said, managing is a year-round job. You have to live in your team's city in the off-season, make prep, etc. etc. If you and your family are not ready for that level of commitment, don't do it. Davey could have said, Look I watched Henry all last year, it's not going to work, give me Abad or pay the $$ for Howell. He mismanaged Storen terribly. He wanted, LaRoche, fine, I was ok with that–but, sheesh, LaRoche should have been on the DL when it was clear he wasn't getting over the stomach flu like the other players did. And don't get me started on his in-game decisions. Quite simply, Davey should never have managed in 2012. He should have finished out the 2011 season and then we should have got a real manager.

67. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Torii has the triple if the 3B coach sends Avila.

68. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I turned the game off and have turned on the movie "Rocky" with Carl Weathers. If we had somebody like Carl Weathers, we would be in first place. That guy was an actor and an athlete, sort of like Jim Brown. What happened to those guys?

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I thought Hunter had the cycle.

70. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM

SCNatsFan–no, we won't. Tomorrow is an off-day. Gotta wait until Friday to see this bunch again.

71. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Well said Nats lady. An absolute abysmal job by Davey this season.

72. phil dunton - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Nats will be lucky to win 75 games this season.

73. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Im not down on DJ like most… But I recognize that some of his in-game decisions have cost us a couple of games… Its a shame that he has to go out like this – barring any type of miracle (which I of course hope happens)- but the Nats havent really shown enough consistency to really get the hopes high…

74. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I got 90 losses Phil

75. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I would be surprised of LaRoche is on the roster next year. Span is playing for his job. He's been good lately. If (big if) he finishes the season like he is now, then he keeps his job. If not, he's gone too.

76. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Mark is hilarious – '3:43 p.m. — 11-1. Onto the eighth. It's almost over. I promise.'

77. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM

We're not gonna lose 90 games.

78. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM

DP – I think Span serves his 2 years and then Goodwin comes up… Still wondering about C Brown as well…

79. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:49 PM

did I miss anythinglol

80. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM

NatsLady, I thought Davie did a good job in 2012. What I think Happened this year is that he expected a smooth ride to the playoffs and was caught off guard and he wasn't equipped to deal with the cluster F this season has become. Rizzo was reluctant to commit to ALR and in hindsight maybe he should have taken a pass. People forget that Tyler Moore was a good player last year and I don't think he should be discarded before we know darn sure that he isn't the answer. Now would have been a real good time to plug him in at 1st for the remainder of the year IMO.

81. phil dunton - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Davey made Rizzo re-sign Laroche. Nats Lady, you are right. Most of the blame for this mess lies with a manager who is barely breathing. How could he motivate anyone?

82. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I suspect if we lose a few more games, we'll see old pal Danny Espinosa back up. Might as well see what he has with his new swing, even though he's doing nothing at Syracuse. Same for Tyler Moore, except he's actually producing at Syracuse.

83. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:53 PM

JD – Its not too late to plug T Moore in… I read that he was doing his thing down in the 'Cuse… Granted, pitching is different but T Moore has always been a player that needs to play every day and maybe Adam needs a break and he can get some needed at bats…But I dont think he is the ultimate answer at 1B given how poor some of the in-field throws are to 1st… But at this point, it wouldnt hurt to have him in there…

84. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Davey did an okay job in 2012, especially early in the year with all the injuries. But he didn't do great in September, and he definitely didn't do great in October, and I don't just mean Game 5. I am still upset that RZ thought it was ok, it was "what we needed," to come home from St Louis with a split, after winning Game 1.

85. EmDash - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I definitely see why Davey wears out his welcome everywhere he goes – when the team's winning, his bravado seems charming, but when it's not it's just off-putting and kind of exhausting.Many of his decisions I can't rationalize except that they were made to make a point to Rizzo about the player's roster spot. The Giants game in May – in which he had Yunesky Maya pitch in a walk-off situation, despite literally any other pitcher being a better option, is just the most glaring. Pitchers left in when they're clearly on fumes. The worst possible option being used out of the bullpen – Storen still has the highest leverage index of all relievers on the team, despite his frequent struggles, and was being used in those situations until just a day or two before his demotion.I don't blame him for pinch-hitting decisions, because there's really been no good options for him there. And maybe the difference overall would be marginal/just a few wins. But the pitcher management this year has just been bizarre.As for no trades happening – unless they can find someone who can help next season, standing pat is smart. Most of the regulars are doing fine – the runs are just really oddly distributed, but they've scored the 5th most in the NL this month – and Gio, Stras, Zimm should still be good next season, occasional bad games being things that happen to everybody. Pretty good 4th starting pitcher (I'd be fine with not taking a flier on a high risk-high reward guy like Haren again), improve the bench and bullpen, and hope for better health and the talent should still be there to be competitive next year because most of the team is young.

86. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:55 PM

David, Why wait? On Espi I don't agree. Rizzo can say what he wants but if you hit .189 at AAA you don't earn a promotion. Espi should have gotten himself healthy and he should still do this in time for next year.

87. karlkolchak - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

"We're not going to lose 90 games" – I'd take even money on that, especially if we continue to get mediocre to horrible outings from Gio, J-Znn and Stras–and there have been a lot of those lately. Teams that are imploding often do far worse as the season drags on, so 90 losses is definitely in play.Anyway, just the fact that we are discussing the possibility shows what an absolute disaster this season has been.

88. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

And for all his vaunted personal skills and teaching skills– Danny is in the minors, Storen is in the minors (two of the more talented young men on this team), Rendon is struggling–and McCatty is in the hospital.

89. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM

EmDash – the Dodgers series was the breaking point for me… at that point, DJ knew that the Nats had to get it going.. had to really play every series like the last… DJ got out managed that entire series…I was so livid… Gosh I was so livid… Mattingly was strategic and DJ was loyal and used his personal wrong…

90. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM

But, believe it or not, I still have hope. Put these two games behind you. Get 2 or 3 from Milwaukee. Come home and win three home series. Get about 5 games above .500 by mid-August. Stay in the hunt for the WC.

91. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Oh, and get 11 runs in the top of the 9th–has that ever been done?

92. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:59 PM

NL, No discussion. Davie has been terrible this year up to an including today. You don't let one of your top starters give up 10 runs. He didn't have it today and he should have been out after 2

93. phil dunton - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:59 PM

EmDash, You ignore the fact the this team has no chemistry.

94. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I think losing Danny Espinosa has had a bigger impact on this team than anyone admits. Last year, he was a very valuable player. He hit for power, he stole bases and his average wasn't atrocious (.253). Yes, he struck out a lot, too much, but I would take 2012 Danny Espinosa back. That doesn't even include his defense, which everyone knows about. He was a good player, even if he frustrated us. That's why I think the organization will stick with him and hope he gets right.

95. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:00 PM

The only reason you would bring Danny back is if you think Rendon needs to go down. I think we are past that, unfortunately. Rendon is just going to have to learn on the job.

96. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:00 PM

David, No question. You are 100% correct.

97. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:00 PM

When Harper winced – at that point, he should have sat… No Question… Down 11 to 1…Why even think about letting him talk you into trying to stay in…

98. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Remember – Danny had a better 2nd half in 2012 also…But the whole injuries thing was baffling…

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Norris to O's

100. EmDash - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I generally ignore chemistry, yes, because it's a minor factor. Teams who win feel good and have fun, teams who don't, don't.The story before the season was that the Dodgers had terrible chemistry because they were a bunch of high-priced free agents and the Giants had great chemistry because they were scrappy and had the same personnel that won the World Series last year. What happened? Once the Dodgers' players who were injured came back, they've played great. The Giants had a bunch of injuries, some regression and poor pitching, and their bench and reserves couldn't pick up the slack. There's no chemistry in health and talent.

101. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Anyhow, Rizzo should: 1)Place ALR and Soriano on waivers immediately to see who bites. 2)If Knorr is the guy for next year, may as well start this year. 3)If Knorr isn't that Rizzo should be making quiet calls to the likes of Brad Ausmus.

102. karlkolchak - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM

David Proctor – no way on Espinosa. He had about a 10-day hot streak in early July, but in his last 13 games is batting .118 with no XBH and 18 strikeouts.

103. do1teach1 - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM

This game was over the instant we were down 2-1.In 18 innings–again–total of 2 runs–again.The next two months are going to be really ugly.

104. karlkolchak - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Mark: "4:00 p.m. — Meanwhile, the trade deadline just passed. Barring something completely out of the blue in the last few minutes, the Nationals didn't do anything."Just like their offense–bada BOOM!

105. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM

You mean uglier than now???? OH BOY

106. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Yeah, Davey is to blame for McCatty being in the hospital.

107. Greg Essner - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM

once again Rizzo does noyhing to improve this team what a boob.fire Rizzo save our team.

108. EmDash - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Improving a team 10 games back at the trade deadline would be a sucker bet. Prices for marginal players – like Justin Maxwell, for example – are inflated because low supply/high demand as everyone is scrabbling to get/stay in the playoff picture. Standing pat until the end of the season is the smarter move at this point, honestly.

109. do1teach1 - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Our scouting group never fails to sing its own praises. I wonder if any of them considered getting Chris Davis? Or were we out-scouted by…Angelos?

110. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM

How about a trade of ALR for Chris Davis? People keep talking about ALR's glove and the O's probably need some fielding if they want to make the post-season.Fielding is everything.