Game 108: Nats at Tigers

Jul 31, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

DETROIT โ€” As much as the Nationals have struggled over the years against Anibal Sanchez, might they actually be looking forward to facing Justin Verlander today? OK, that might be stretching things a bit. But 2013 Verlander (3.99 ERA, 1.409 WHIP) isn't exactly 2011-2012 Verlander (2.52 ERA, 0.987 WHIP), so perhaps there's a sliver of hope.

Davey Johnson is trying a slightly different look for today's game. Denard Span (15-for-42 in his career vs. Verlander) is leading off, with Bryce Harper right behind him. Meanwhile, the red-hot Jayson Werth (.371/.448/.629 in July) swaps spots with the ice-cold Adam LaRoche (.167/.237/.298 in July).

Gio Gonzalez gets the nod for the Nationals, hoping to keep this potent Detroit lineup in check and get his team back on the winning track before they head out of town for a weekend in Milwaukee.

Updates to come…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at DETROIT TIGERS
Where: Comerica Park
Gametime: 1:08 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 9, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 176
Weather: Cloudy, 74 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from LF

CF Denard Span
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth

Read more ยป

1. alexva - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM

looks like a crowded infield

2. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I think RZim is DH and Rendon at 3rd.

3. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:32 PM

rzim is dh. davey said on the radio.

4. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM

See — proof that Davey reads NI comments! ๐Ÿ˜‰ We have Lombo playing, and red-hot-currently-under-appreciated*-Werth bumped up to clean-up, even though we're facing a RHP.Note to Span haters — in the last 30 days — 25 games — Span's been hitting .293/.346/.424 =============*under-appreciated because he keeps hitting homers during losses . . . ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

5. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Sup my people… Gosh that was a heart breaker yesterday… as most of the season… I was hoping to crush A Sanchez – I just don't like that guy…Hopefully, we crush Verlander and can take the series 3 – 1!Go Nats!

6. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM

m said… If anything this team is cosnsistant. Our lineup is no match for Detroit's.I don't understand what those two sentences have to do with each other.There are 29 teams who's lineup doesn't match Detroit's. BR's SRS and other places currently have the Tigers as the best team in all of MLB.

7. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Comerica is still a pitcher-friendly park. RH lineup even tho Verlander is a RH pitcher. Important for Nats hitters to repress their reflexive swing-from-the-heels approach and concentrate on just getting balls in play. Lots of room in the OF for balls to rattle around.

8. bowdenball - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:45 PM

A DC Wonk said…"We have Lombo playing, and red-hot-currently-under-appreciated*-Werth bumped up to clean-up, even though we're facing a RHP."Although Werth certainly deserves it the way he's been hitting, I suspect the swap was more about not having four straight right-handers than about favoring Werth over LaRoche in the cleanup spot.

9. Tcostant - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I still think Ramos should have DH. Zimm could have played 3B and either Lombo or Rendon could taken a seat.

10. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:50 PM

A DC Wonk said…OK, I've heard that meme just too many times, and I'm going to speak out against it.Espi only played in 44 games. At that time is BA was .100 lower than the year before, and it was quite reasonable to expect that he would get that average up.ALR after 44 games was hitting a paltry .219 — did management "play him too long", too?First off on ALR, the answer was No…difference is, ALR is a veteran player who has come back from bad streaks in the past…Espi had been slumping at the end of 2012 and it carried in post season to the 44 games in 2013. Yes, that was a big enough sample size by any measure and…you forget, this slump extended into the minors as well

11. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Glad to hear the news about McCatty!

12. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM

13. bowdenball - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Cabrera is out today for the Tigers. Nice break for the Nats.

14. bowdenball - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:57 PM

mick said…"I think Lombo and Rendon should platoon the rest of the season and in fact, Lombo should platoon with Span as well."WHAT?I can't even …

15. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Mick – you cant be serious at 10:53… you are kidding, right???

16. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM

bowdenballwhats your problem and why not…dog days of august, you keep players fresh as well…I know it does not fit the bs narrative of some of you in herenot that I give a sh–

17. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Lombo's defense is solid…am i missing something…are there games I have missed where he has errors???or are there games such as the series verse Mets that Lombo went 3 of 4 that you all missed?

18. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Lombo is no where near the player that Span is… Span is having a down year and is still better than Lombo… Hell, Lombo cant play OF at all… Come on man, I know you are frustrated but that right there makes no sense…

19. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:02 PM

MrsBcan you comprehend when you read….HELLO HELLOI said platoon, not replacethis is getting ridiculous and if you all want to get ugly…lets roll!!

20. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I sure enough can comprehend…Let me school you for a sec.. to platoon is to switch in some circumstances… which theorticatlly means replace at some point…Boy don't try it… but I forget, as soon as someone disagrees or calls you out on something – its an attack on you…I don't have time for your non-sense… carry on…

21. bowdenball - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:04 PM

mick said…"bowdenballwhats your problem and why not…dog days of august, you keep players fresh as well…I know it does not fit the bs narrative of some of you in here"My problem is that it's a terrible idea in every respect. Even if I give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you'd move Harper to CF and Lombo to LF on Span's platoon days, you're trying to replace Span and Rendon with a player who is worse than both of them in every way. So that's the first thing that's wrong with it. The second things that's wrong with it is that you'd be stunting the development of Rendon, who is a huge part of this team's future, by playing him only against left-handed pitchers. He'd be on the bench for most games. That makes no sense in terms of the club's future.Finally, you'd be taking one of the club's strengths- OF defense- and turning into a weakness by replacing Span in CF with a hobbled Harper and replacing Harper in LF with a guy with no arm and limited OF experience.

22. natsfan1a - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:05 PM

We interrupt this thread to bring you good news from Mark's Tweeter feed thingy on this here site. Sounds like a good plan to me. Feel better, coach. (Okay, carry on, folks. Oh, and GO NATS!!)Mark Zuckerman @ZuckermanCSNGood news to report: Steve McCatty will be released from hospital today. Davey says he'll stay in DC, rejoin team Monday.

23. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Anyways – I wonder if Miggy is just sore today or if he actually hurt the hip…I don't think he will win the triple crown again this year…

24. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:07 PM

The second things that's wrong with it is that you'd be stunting the development of Rendonlast week, a few posters made a good point that perhaps Rendon was not physically able to play a full MLB season, being his rookie year and being called up before the team actually wanted too. based on this, why not platoon, I disagree that it would hurt Rendon, in fact, i think it would help him we have a difference of opinion and neither of us are 100% right or wrongMrsB, I can not have an intelligent conversation with.

25. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Yeah 1a – I saw that earlier… Im glad to hear.. Irregular heart beat is something else… My grandmother had that and was in the hospital for 2 weeks…

26. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:09 PM

great news on cat!!I don't have time for your non-sense… nonsense…you twisted what I posted sweetheart and that i will not tolerate!!

27. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM

bowdenball – stop making sense…

28. bowdenball - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:16 PM

mick said…"last week, a few posters made a good point that perhaps Rendon was not physically able to play a full MLB season, being his rookie year and being called up before the team actually wanted too. based on this, why not platoon, I disagree that it would hurt Rendon, in fact, i think it would help him"Rendon's health is an interesting point. If you want to give him an off day once a week or so in favor of Lombo because you're concerned he's wearing down, I would probably agree with you, especially if the Nats don't make up any ground on the Reds in the next week or two. But you're talking about not letting him face right-handed major league pitching for two months. That's probably the one thing he needs to do the MOST over the next couple months. I don't think that's the way to get him a little extra rest.As to the outfield platoon, I just think it clearly makes the club worse on both sides of the ball. Span has better numbers than Lombo even in a down year for him, and obviously the defense would suffer quite a bit.

29. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:17 PM

bowdenthat makes sense, good post

30. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Espi had been slumping at the end of 2012 and it carried in post season to the 44 games in 2013. Yes, that was a big enough sample size by any measure and…you forget, this slump extended into the minors as well Not exactly. Espi hit .243 in Sept/Oct, and actually hit better in the second half (.263) than the first half (.232)As for Espi's extending his slump into the minors — that's hindsight! That's my point. Playing Espi for 44 games is not unreasonable given what they knew then

31. Joe Seamhead - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:29 PM

mick, in my opinion if you're talking about pulling Span and putting Lombardozzi anywhere in the OF you are just wrong. Go watch the Alexandria Aces or the Bethesda Big Train and you will see much, much better quality outfielders then Steve Lombardozzi in every aspect and phase of outfielding, not just arm strength. Span had a horrible last half of May and June, otherwise he has been basically an average player offensively, and defensively he has been outstanding all year long.I do agree with you that a couple of days off could possibly benefit Anthony Rendon, and Lombo is here to be a utility player and 2B is his best position.

32. sjm308 - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Mick – you can't seriously compare Span vs. Lombo in the outfield and even at bat Span has had a better year – to platoon you are saying Span sits against left handed pitching and honestly Lombo is not the right handed bat needed. At best Lombo is a decent infield sub and maybe can give Rendon a rest now and then but platooning those two or Span and Lombo is not the answer. Now, platooning Moore and LaRoche makes some sense but the reality of all this is that Davey does not platoon. Oh, my opinion is Mrs B was not attacking you but you stay strong my friend.

33. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Wednesday Tidbits- As somebody pointed out last night – last night was the first time in Stras' career he gave up a HR with more than one man on base- Bases loaded. Rookie Jonathan Villar (Astros) was on third. Leftie pitcher sets. Stares at first base. Villar takes off and steals home. Awesome! link– OK, so pitchers know not to punch lockers — because they can hurt themselves. How an air pump fist? That can be dangerous, too!. (Check it out!)- Cards lose a double header to Pirates (scoring one run in 20 innings!) — six straight losses for them now. And five straight losses for Reds. So, by winning 4 of the last five, the Pirates have zoomed from 2.5 back just on Friday to 1.5 games in the lead today.- Mets Zack Wheeler took a no-hitter into the seventh

34. sjm308 - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:36 PM

35. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:38 PM

sjm308 said… Mick – you can't seriously compare Span vs. Lombo in the outfield and even at bat Span has had a better year – to platoon you are saying Span sits against left handed pitching and honestly Lombo is not the right handed bat needed. Well . . . OTOH, Lombo is hitting .250 against lefties, and Span is .146 against lefties this year.On the other, other, hand, Span's two HR's came recently against lefties.On the other, other, other, hand . . . five fingers.

36. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM

sjm308 said… one thing you have to love about Mick is – he puts it out there for thought. Might not always make good sense but he is always trying to get our team better. Have to love that in a fan.Agreed!Mick, you live and die with with each win or loss. You are of the "don't just stand there, do something" variety — but it obviously comes from your heart. (Many of us look at the stats, first ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) You put the "fanatic" back into "fan."We love ya' for it!

37. Tcostant - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Random thoughts -I guess Zack Wheeler isn't tipping his pitches anymore?I have no issues with Span defense.I do think Rizzo missed an out by not going after Alfonso Soriano (see last post for why).I think I'm not okay with a new manager next year (that wasn't the case in the offseason).I miss the Bottomless Popcorn at Nationals Park.

38. Get Your Re(n)d On - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Rendon just had a day off on Monday, and he'll have another one tomorrow. He's not hurt and he's not recovering from anything. Two days off in one week is more than enough for him.

39. Tcostant - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:44 PM

opps:I think I'm now okay with a new manager next year (that wasn't the case in the offseason).That very different and what I meant to write..

40. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Hmm . . . I thinking that if the Nats can't do it, of rooting for the Pirates (as a temporary second-favorite, just for this year). I feel bad for the team, the city, and the last time they even finished just above .500 was 20 years ago! Over a span of six years (2005-2010) they finished in last place five times — culminating in 2010 with a 105-loss season. In 2011 & 2012 they moved up to fourth. McCutcheon strikes me as all class. Other than he, their not hitting much, but they sit atop the NL in team ERA.If that Nats can't do it, it's be nice to see the Pirates do it.

41. Doc - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Our Nats are snakebit!How else do you explain losing to someone named Annabell, which is Spanish for the name Sue, and our very best pitcher throwing a 97 mph heater which is grandslammed by some Mendoza clown hitting .195???And even worse, it's done in a deadbeat city that just declared bankruptcy!!

42. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I do think Rizzo missed an out by not going after Alfonso Soriano (see last post for why).I gotta ask — I just looked a bit more closely at the deal: why in the world did the Cubs do that deal? They're still paying $13M a year for him next year (instead of $5M), and all they got was a 21 year old who's 3-8, 4.25, in high A-ball?OTOH, would that Nats want to spend what would be $5M on a player who'd want to be a starter next year — but he's batting .254 now, and he'd be 38 years old next year? His WAR with Cubs is only 0.8 this year — which (hold on to your hats) is lower than Span's 1.0 this year.

43. bowdenball - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM

A DC Wonk said…"Hmm . . . I thinking that if the Nats can't do it, of rooting for the Pirates (as a temporary second-favorite, just for this year). I feel bad for the team, the city, and the last time they even finished just above .500 was 20 years ago! Over a span of six years (2005-2010) they finished in last place five times — culminating in 2010 with a 105-loss season.In 2011 & 2012 they moved up to fourth. McCutcheon strikes me as all class. Other than he, their not hitting much, but they sit atop the NL in team ERA.If that Nats can't do it, it's be nice to see the Pirates do it."Find me ten Pirates fans who aren't either Steelers, Penguins fans or both and maybe I'll start to feel sorry for them and root for them. How about the Indians? Or the Royals? Both of them have a shot at the postseason, and unlike Pittsburgh sports fans, those fans have actually suffered the last decade or more.

44. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Find me ten Pirates fans who aren't either Steelers, Penguins fans or both and maybe I'll start to feel sorry for them and root for them. How about the Indians? Or the Royals?Point taken. I'm sick of Steelers & Steeler fans.As for Indians or Royals . . . well, for an _AL_ team, I suppose . . . . ;-)Yes — they _have_ suffered. A long time.

45. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM

A team that plays Lombo or a player like him on a regular basis in the OF will never win. He doesn't have the talent offensively or defensively. He's a backup infielder who, like all players, can get sneaky hot. That doesn't make him good.

46. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM

And, if we got Soriano, where exactly would he play?

47. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM

coach and wonkTYlol

48. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Sjm – Of course I didnt attack him.. I dont attack anyone.. I just told him it was a silly/simple idea (to platoon Lombo and Span) and I gave my reasons why…Which seemingly you all said the same thing.. but maybe its becuz I am a woman… idk nor do i care at this point…

49. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Wonk – if the Nats dont make the WS (which I still totally expect a Red Sox and Nats WS) then I will watch the post season like i have done since 2005 – half-heartedly…Last year, I couldnt watch the NL series at all… I would cringe every time I saw Cards.. I just got so depressed and kept saying 'we needed 1 more out'… I did watch the AL series… Was rooting for the Yanks with my dad (he is a Yanks and Nats fan)…

50. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Since we have some time, and little to discuss: I think this might apply to baseball as well as cycling; better, maybe, if you substitute "balls" for "bike.""I think it's just terrible and disgusting how everyone has treated Lance Armstrong, especially after what he achieved, winning seven Tour de France races while on drugs. When I was on drugs, I couldn't even find my bike."Willie Nelson

51. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Doc said…Our Nats are snakebit!How else do you explain losing to someone named Annabell, which is Spanish for the name Sue, and our very best pitcher throwing a 97 mph heater which is grandslammed by some Mendoza clown hitting .195???=====Mendoza clown hitting… lol… bwahahaha… that was hilarious…

52. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Which seemingly you all said the same thing.. but maybe its becuz I am a woman… idk nor do i care at this point…I think you were just next in line this time. Don't look for reasons, there aren't any.

53. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM

sofa…your post is just not correct…next in line was not the reason. if you were fair, you would scroll back as to what upset me rather than to make a snied post

54. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:29 PM

We need to win the rest of the road trip.

55. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:33 PM

MNFIf they can win today, winning the series verse Brewers would be fine

56. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:35 PM

they may have to win just about every series from here on out. maybe the Reds will slip, I think Pirates and Cards will battle for best record in the NL, one will be in as a WC…maybe the WC is the only way for Nats?

57. bowdenball - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM

mick said…"If they can win today, winning the series verse Brewers would be fine"I agree. Three of the next four and a winning road trip would be just fine with me.I'm not sure whether we should thank the Reds for keeping us on the fringes of the playoff race, or curse them for prolonging the torture instead of just putting us out of our misery.

58. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM

MLBTR has the O's looking at Morse. That would make me unhappy.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I see Yadier Molina hurt his knee again. Wonder if tge Cardswould be interested in Suzuki for one of their better minir league pitchers?

60. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Rays looking at Morse too.

61. karlkolchak - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:41 PM

So, just a bit more than three hours to go until the trading deadline and it looks as though the Nats are sticking to their guns and will not be making any trades. That means we are stuck with the current group of players through the end of the year.I wouldn't bet a wooden nickel on their playoff chances at this point, but in my mind here are five things that need to happen for the Nats to have have any chance whatsoever:1). Harper needs to go on another April-like tear, and soon.2). Haren has to revert to being at least an MLB average starting pitcher.3). Detwiler needs to come back in September not only healthy but looking like the pitcher he was last season.4). The offense needs to start hitting more home runs to make up for its inability to consistently hit in the clutch (remember the 12 dingers in two games aginst the Cubs last September?).5). The bullpen needs to settle down, and hopefully someone other than Clippard can be consistently trusted to protect a one run lead.I could see two or three of those things happening, but not all five.

62. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Harper was doing the team-mately thing last week when he said after the game that Lombardozzi was "a .300 hitter in the majors." If there is another team out there that believes Lombardozzi is an everyday player I wish they'd step up and pay the Nats accordingly because he's not getting it done here, even w/ occasional bursts of productivity.Lombardozzi might be an every day player on a contending team if the other seven position guys were hitting robustly — and they could hide his arm at 2B. Unfortunately, this Nats team has too many weak sisters without adding him to the day-to-day lineup — and all of those seven guys are likely coming back next year.

63. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:06 PM

KarlK — I pretty much agree w/ your wish list of things that need to happen. And the likelihood that all of them will. I take issue with the idea that HRs are a substitute for clutch hitting. Today being an example; Comerica is a big part and unless you are Cabrera or Fielder home runs are less likely here than in most stadia. The BP right now, to my thinking, is under-manned. Abad and Krol are inexperienced and the only guys at all trustworthy in the latter innings of a close game are Clippard and Soriano. This will become a serious issues if they have a bunch of close games back-to-back-to-back during the heat and humidity of August.

64. karlkolchak - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Theophilus T. S. – right now, they are on pace to hit about 50 fewer dingers than they did last year. I think that power surge (they hit almost 200 home runs) help mask their other offensive deficiencies, especially down the stretch. In Game 5 of the NLDS, they built their one big lead of that whole series with the long ball, and that was after Werth's memorable walk off in Game 4.

65. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Oh LaRoche. That hurts.

66. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:22 PM

What a waste. ALR basically let Verlander off The hook. Everyone who put the ball in play hit the ball solidly.

67. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:25 PM

LaRoche has been so good this year…I'm shocked.

68. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Interesting first 7 pitches 4 flies.

69. Section 222 - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:28 PM

It seems that the Nats' offense is just not consistent enough for the team to go on a long winning streak. It seems much more likely, though still not very likely, that with some very good pitching they could go on a sustained stretch where they at least win series. The problem is that it's essentially already too late for that to make a difference. If we were to win every single series from now until the end of the year, and split any 2 or 4 game series, we'd finish with only 87 wins. So a serious winning streak is needed, and I'm just not seeing it from these guys.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Its like he is not even. Seeing the ball until it is way too late.

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Tigers are an aggressive team… Good inning by Gio…Adam seems to be reverting back to his April #s…

72. Nats106 - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM

It's Deja Vu all over again. Hope we don't duplicate yesterday's grand slam.

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:34 PM

First time through the line up 1 for 7.

74. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Bryce playing deeper per suggestion from Pete Rose, but the ball high and hitvthe wall, the high part is the suspicious

75. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Really Anthony.

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Why was Rendon playing for a bunt with 2 strikes.

77. Rendon2B - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:43 PM

GAME OVER

78. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM

They are hitting Gio pretty hard…

79. Rendon2B - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Like really, game over. Nats won't score again. Seen this movie before.

80. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:45 PM

So is Avila considered a Nats Killer now? Good lord…

81. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I was on the ALR train from resigning him until the first inning today. One of our 'big bats' continually takes us out of innings. I cannot believe we have to watch him for another year and a half. I'm not sure Morse was the answer at 1B, I don't think Moore is but I am quite certain ALR is not the answer.

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Tigers 5 for 9 first time through.Had he walked the 8th guy would Avils had hit another gnd slam.

83. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM

On a bright note we aren't losing close games late anymore

84. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Oh my lord… are you serious right now…dang…

85. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Sigh…

86. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Davey visits way after damage. What is the point after you let the animals out of the barn?

87. Wendell - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Just tuning in – why is Rendon playing 3d?

88. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Oh, I guess wild throws are a team epidemic.

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Rendon has no shoulder problem. Purely a focus problem.

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Zim dh for a break.

91. joemktg - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM

What the hell is going on here?

92. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM

You still have 2 hours to sell Rizzo. Get on the darn phone and sell. It's like watching world com stock fall and Davey keeps saying 'its ok, it will come back".

93. Grandstander - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Gamer Headline: Bust

94. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM

This is what Natitude is all about!!! What a team!!!

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM

As good as Gio was in the first he was just as bad in the second.Our first inning could have been just as good if ALR would move tge line instead of lookingvclueless.That is the difference from last year. Too many hitters slump at too many times, and drag the rest of the team with them.

96. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Gio threw 120 in his last outing.

97. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:55 PM

We should have scored more runs in that first inning of course….But Gio seems to be getting behind the count on almost every Tiger (kinda like how Sanchez did against us last night but we only scored 1 dang run)

98. phil dunton - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Change Natitude to Suckatude. This team is awful. I was wrong about Eckstein, the problems go way deeper than him. We are dealing with a Washington Wizards situation.

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM

High fast ball and harper fouls it back. Avila instead deposit it over left field fence. We just miss hitting to many hittable pitches.

100. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM

SCNatsFan – I dont think you sell (besides the core – who would be available)Ghost – Gio normally seems to settle in and get into a groove after the 3rd inning or so… Im not sure if he needs to take more practice pitches or what…

101. Ivan Tuski - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM

"Gio threw 120 in his last outing."-well he's definitely not throwing that fast now

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Hitting philosophy he and Davey love is not good.

103. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I have to laugh at all the people who are like "Sell ALR!!"…because so many people are looking for a .230 hitting 1B. You need two parties to sell.

104. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM

JV is really paying Span a lot of attention…

105. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Mrs B I disagree. We have overestimated many of our players. You keep putting this healthy lineup out there, keep getting beat and expect a change tomorrow gets you what we have – a sub .500 team that bought into the hype that they were good.

106. Rendon2B - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Bet Nats score ZERO rest of the game, any takers?

107. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:04 PM

At this point, I think ALR is the chief culprit. You can't get this kind of production from your middle of the lineup 1B. Just can't. I can deal with Rendon's slump, but you need production from ALR now. He's killed way too many rallies lately.

108. Ivan Tuski - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Phil "I was wrong about Eckstein," if you were wrong about that what makes you think you are right about this?Really I think we would need another 20 years to compare this to anything like the Wizards situation. This is a team still being built, a franchise still learning to be a franchise. what happened is both forunate and unfortunate. We flip flopped years. This was supposed to be last year where we showed signs of improvement finally finishing above 500 but missing the playoffs. Then this year we would have rolling towards 98 wins. We got all the breaks and streaks and bounces last year and none this year so this is how it plays out. natitude is what you choose to make of it. As much as the team needs to learn to be a major league team, we as baseball deprived fans for 30 years need to learn to be baseball fans. it's not always easy, but it is always baseball. And I for one and happy we have it.

109. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM

That is the difference from last year. Too many hitters slump at too many times, and drag the rest of the team with them. Yep — I think that's the single most frustrating thing about this whole year. ALR gets hot, and Harper is injured. Werth gets hot, just as ALR gets cold again. And so on and so forth.It's why we're hitting so low as a team: we are almost never running on all cylinders.

110. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM

SC – Okay, so who do you 'sell'Adam is in a total funk…

111. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Right there was a great opportunity. 2 men on. A base hit by LaRoche drives in a run and brings Desi to the plate. Possible 2 out rally. LaRoche strikes out. Those are rallies we start last year. not every time of course, but it feels like it never happens this year.

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:07 PM

LaRoche swing where the ball is. That pitch was probably high but barrell up on it and drive it.Now 0-3 with RISP. ALR.has 2 of the 3 outs.

113. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM

SC – But I do agree that man of the players were over-valued… the Goon Squad is who I think of first… Our bench has also dragged us down… DJ had to keep trotting lines up out where we had at least 3 automatic outs…I mean the talent is there, its just they cant seem to pull it together, all at the same time…I remember last year when we hit our peak (May/Juneish), everyone was hot and on fire and we coasted… This year, its like a little fizzle by some and then flat lines by others…

114. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:10 PM

DC Wonk, well put.

115. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Situational hitting… our Achilles heel…Did JV purposely pitch around Werth to get to Adam, though?

116. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Really I think we would need another 20 years to compare this to anything like the Wizards situation. This is a team still being built, a franchise still learning to be a franchise.Whoa! Dude! You're looking at this with _perspective_?!That's pretty rare around these here parts!

117. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I'll maintain what I've said for the last couple weeks: the core of this team is still good. By that I mean Harper, Rendon, Werth, Zim x 2, Gio, Stras, Desi. I'll put that core up against anyone else's core. The supporting cast isn't good. And that includes ALR who had just been dreadful lately.

118. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Last year the team in general followed the hotte4 hitters.This year the team is being led by the weaker hitters.This pitchers generally are a little weaker, but the terrible hitting makes the pitcher's mistakes magnified.

119. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"Rizzo gave the infielders a fish a day with LaRoche instead of teaching them to throw. Its bad.

120. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Gotto make Verlander pay for these walks.

121. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Adam is important to us becuz of his D… Desi and Ryan and Espi/Rendon have gotten better with their throws but he saves our butt many a times…Its gonna be a growing pain with whomever replaces him…

122. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:16 PM

so I appear to be correct, the Wild card seems more doable, Nats only 6 1/2 back of RedsGhost lol

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Too many swings and misses.

124. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:19 PM

0 for 4 RISP

125. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:19 PM

David, I would agree thatwe have to hope that Rizzo's moves in the off season are not a disaster like this season….the whole key will be the next manager, that is Rizzo's most important decision

126. Joe Seamhead - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Worst swing on strike 2 that I've ever seen Rendon take.He is throwing his shoulder out, and not keeping his head on the ball. He is officially in a slump and looking like crap.

127. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM

0 for. 5 RISP.I was wrong we were 1 for 6 first time now 1 for 7 second time.

128. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM

MrsB, what D? His range isn't great. His value on defense is scooping poor throws from infielders not doing their jobs. LaRoche was much better last season but he doesn't win the Gold Glove if Votto wasn't injured and he was 4th in UZR last year.

129. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM

and that is why Rendon needs to sit a few games and refocus, maybe this is where the new hitting coach comes into play…spend some time with him, have him get as much bp as possible, hell, even have him hit off the tee

130. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I think ALR may have a medical problem, with the weight loss…I hope he is OK

131. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM

FP finally drilling our point ALR by not driving the ball in irst turned tge game around.

132. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM

12 errors in 55 games for Rendon. Even if he's hitting, that's tough to take. If he's not hitting…that's impossible to take. And that doesn't even include the plays that he should get, but doesn't (like the double down the line earlier).Of course, it's hard to fault a guy playing out of position. It's just rough.

133. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Who knows as I think the team doctors are worse than the team hitting.

134. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM

just watching the Tigers, I would be floored if the Indians won that division

135. Joe Seamhead - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:27 PM

After that last at bat I think Rendon could take a page out of Harper's book and bite his collar.

136. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:27 PM

MNFI hope he is OKDavid…excellent point on Rendon

137. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Ghost – Adam has made some sick plays this year… and saved the in-field numerous times… I think it would have been progressively worst with either Morse or even Moore over there…1st base is an issue and it doesnt help that he is under-performing (I can understand the argument of maybe this being who he is)(Im not counting the award becuz I thought Votto should have won it last year) … But I am not going to argue about the lack of D as I can understand you saying that… Im just thinking in the sense of his D in helping to save the in-field…That is why I said it will be a growing pain with whomever comes in to replace him…But, there was a point when he was hot as heck… now he is cold as ice…

138. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Lombo…

139. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Lombo looked worse than Rendon. Easy double play ball goes astray. Hit what the hell?

140. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:29 PM

141. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM

your making me look bad Lombolol

142. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Gio gets squeezed Lombo does a dance at secobd should be 3 outs then a solid hit.

143. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:31 PM

i guess the yiddish word for this is ovay

144. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:31 PM

This is embarrassing now… unh…

145. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:32 PM

The new big 3. Haren, ohlendorf and Jordan.This last cycle our big 3 have been much weaker than we need.

146. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:33 PM

MNFyup

147. Joe Seamhead - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I can't watch this. I'm going to a bar, eat pizza, drink beer.How do you not give Lombo an error on that play that would've, could've, should've been an inning ending double play?

148. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:34 PM

RISP 5 FOR 8

149. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I hope the team pitching has not fallen apart now? a combination of scoring 1 run a game and giving up more than 5 will not work out too good

150. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:35 PM

This will be a very interesting offseason.

151. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Joe Sdrink a few for melol

152. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Ouch – they are feasting on Gio…Gio seems like he cant locate his fastball…

153. paul brandt - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I wish they had the 10 run rule in MLB.

154. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:36 PM

paullol ha ha

155. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I think Gio might be out for the year with whiplash. Don't light a match!!!

156. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Gio is not pitching he is just throwing the ball up thereNow 6 for 9. RISPTake note guys ball over the plate hit the ball so it lansds in the outfield.Not rocket science

157. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM

158. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Alphabet Soup Erik said…I think Gio might be out for the year with whiplash. Don't light a match!!!on that note…has the final suspension come out yet? if they have, then forget what i am about to ask…is it possible, Gio is nervous or was he found guilty and that is what is effecting him?

159. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I understand that Danny was a disaster at the plate. But Rendon came up too soon. Had a lot of reservations at the time because I saw his D in spring training. At first his offense covered it. Now the holes in his game are exposed. He never should have batted 2nd, no matter how many people on here called for it. Doesn't help that Davey expects him to play multiple infield positions. Most people liked Rendon a lot. So do I. MLB is just not as easy as it looks. I hope he doesn't lose confidence. Now that's three in a row for our Big Three–losing games. If we are lucky we can sweep in Milwaukee and come home at .500. Forget about this game.

160. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:39 PM

biogentics is what I am talking about

161. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Every week a new 'low point of the year'.Starters have to be frustrated knowing once the second run crosses the plate odds are they will get a L.

162. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM

mick said… i guess the yiddish word for this is ovayClose.It's "oy vay".Alas, I agree with the sentiment ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

163. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Im surprised Ross O is pitching… Thought DJ would have called Stammen in…But NL – I originally thought that the line-up (when healthy) was enough to carry DE or the 2nd baseman… But now Rendon needs to adjust… Im not sure if he has changed his batting approach but he needs to adjust…

164. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM

thanks for the correction wonklol

165. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Has anyone else noticed that every time the Nats have "saved" their season and "turned things around" has been after a victory against the Mets?

166. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:41 PM

oh my my

167. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Every Tiger has a hit.

168. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:42 PM

10-1 and Cabrera's not even in this game!

169. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM

WOD interesting point, unfortunately, you are correct

170. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Every season saver followed by crap. That is correct.

171. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Box score is just scary…

172. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM

NLyou had to remind us, that really makes this game a low point

173. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Oh, not Ohlendorf… what next?

174. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Yikes!! uh, Davey .. you think Ohlie is ready for this game? just threw 114 pitches little while ago — Uh Oh, the big stiff, Ohlie is hurt!!Rock bottom people. Detroit 21 – Nats 1 (when all is done).I hope Ohlie is okay and I'm starting to hope Davey's okay too.

175. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I understand that Danny was a disaster at the plate. But Rendon came up too soonI'm getting whiplash with all the opinions here!Danny played too long because of a man-crush on him (even though it was only 44 games, and even though Lombo also had a negative WAR).And (from last week) Rizzo and Davey stunted Rendon's development by bring him up so soon (even though he played in 1/2 the MiLB games then Harper did).Now, it's Rendon being brought up too soon.OK, OK, I know, the above are three different opinions by three different folks.Which proves at least one thing: being a GM is pretty hard. ๐Ÿ˜‰

176. RC - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:45 PM

is it just me, or do Nats' announcers refuse to be critical of the Nats' play? Are they allowed to acknowledge that they are playing poorly?I know they are homers, but constantly making excuses constantly for Gio, etc. whey the suck seems patronizing / condescending. "Anyone could allow 8 runs to the Tigers!" etc. when a .178 hitter goes deep.

177. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Mick …. Wild Card!!! HOOOOOOOOOOOOHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, oh man, you have got me just rolling on the floor, can't stop……Wild Card…….HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHOh man, I need to go outside and get some air….. Wild Card, hahahahahahahha

178. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I hope Ohlie is okay and I'm starting to hope Davey's okay too. Following the game by comments and box-score.What happened?!?

179. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Makes no sense to me. Zimmerman at DH and Rendon plays in the field? Should be the other way around, there, Davey. Rendon is arguably the very worst infielder I have seen in 25 years — but I've said this before.And Lombo looking like a Babe Ruth Player? Oh man, this is absolutely nuts

180. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Ohlendorf was throwing 85mph fastballs and then got pulled. Looks hurt, although he didn't seem to be in any pain.

181. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM

WODOK I get it…probably shouls not have posted thatlol

182. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM

RC said… is it just me, or do Nats' announcers refuse to be critical of the Nats' play? Are they allowed to acknowledge that they are playing poorly? I know they are homers, butI agree. I don't mind _intelligent_ and fair homers (Charlie and Dave are pretty good in my book!) . . . . but FP and Bob go a bit too far for my taste. (Just like Dibble went way too far the other way — always critical in hindsight).

183. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Ohlendorf leaves game with apparent arm trouble —

184. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM

"Rendon is arguably the very worst infielder I have seen in 25 years — but I've said this before."Scouts had Rendon's defense at 3B rated as a plus. It's his 2B defense that has been a disaster. Although Rendon didn't exactly impressed at third today.

185. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM

C and D just said his (Ross O) velocity dropped more than 5 mph…

186. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

FP talking about chesee"Moe Larry the cheese"

187. JaneB - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Yikes this is bad on every level.

188. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Makes no sense to me. Zimmerman at DH and Rendon plays in the field? Should be the other way around, there, Davey. Rendon is arguably the very worst infielder I have seen in 25 years — but I've said this before.Rendon's played his whole career, until the last few months, at 3b.

189. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM

This is a 45 minute inning and caused by the Lombo miscue (ruled a hit).

190. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM

MrsB–agreed. A team can carry a light-hitting, glove type fielder if the rest of the guys are hitting. The problem is, they weren't.

191. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM

WonkCharlie and Dave are very good, agreed

192. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM

It's only the 4th inning. That's the worst part of this.

193. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Is this the worst start of Gio's career? I'm fairly certain it's the worst of his Nationals career.

194. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Im glad I didnt DVR this game… This is brutal..Seriously hope Ross O is okay… Esp considering how the back-end of the SP rotation may go…

195. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Honestly, I don't care how hight "scouts" had rated Rendon's defense. I saw him with my own eyes, and the game at the major-league level moved too fast for him. That's NOT to say he won't catch up, especially now that he has experience and knows what it takes.

196. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Cat ought to take more time off, he does not need to come back to this

197. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:52 PM

That's a pretty small sample, NL. How much 3B has he actually played with the Nats?

198. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM

wonk not the point (missed)the point isn't where Rendon is playing; the point is that he is an atrocious fielder – period — be it second base or 3bTo repeat the point already made but spelling it out more clearly for u: Zimmerman is the better fielding 3b between the two; therefore, Zimm should be playing the 3b position, and Rendon Dh'ng and not the other way around. (phew what an effort for missed logic)

199. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Finally – this inning is over… unh…

200. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM

may as well get back to work

201. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Orioles are going after Michael Morse. That adds insult to injury.

202. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:54 PM

NatsFanSinceStart–That is ridiculous. You come on here and just whale away on my Nats. 20-1! Where the hell do you even come up with that number? LOD.I get tired of this negativism. I mean, I could see you predicting a final score of, say, 18 to 2, but 20-1? Come on…..

203. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM

MrsB I Hope Ross O is OK too but seriously, the back-end of the rotation is the least of our problems.

204. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Well, we knew Rendon was going to have some growing pains coming out of AAA… He has definitely had some miscues at both 2nd and 3rd but his bat justified him being there…One has to hope that DJ's way will work with and for him — keep giving him opportunities to get going again…

205. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Span is fine today.

206. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Where would we be without Span and his key base hits?

207. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Wonk, I am a long-time Espinosa-supporter. I shut up about him for a while because I was getting totally ridiculedon here–and I'm by no means saying he is a solution, or even that he should come back up right now. It's just that the "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" wrote him off as hopeless, mental, etc. etc. etc.When you see a talented kid like Rendon not cutting it (right away) you realize how very extraordinary Harper is–and how difficult baseball is at this level. Rendon will get there, but he's not going to rescue this team, this season.

208. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

JD – I hope we keep it that way… but i am more so talking about with the T Jordan shut down, if Det is even healthy and which Haren we get…But pitching isnt a problem if we are hitting… which, right now, we arent…

209. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

WODL, you won't give it up will you?

210. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Unfortunately aout the same. If the whole team followed his lead we would be fine.Harper has 2 hits too.

211. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Even though it is a small sample size, I'm also not impressed with Rendon when he has played 3rd.

212. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM

2 grand slams and we only lose this game by 1 run!

213. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

RZim delivers another GIDP. Where have I seen that before.

214. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Harper has been hitting like Harper should be hitting since the ASB. Well over .300 with several XBH. It's good to see. Unfortunately, it's about the only good thing to see right now.

215. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

You idiots need to stop picking on Rendon. The problem is Rizzo's refusal to acknowledge the fact that Zimmerman needs to move to 1B. If you are going to bring up a young guy and play him out of position, at least let him learn the position in the minors. Rizzo didn't even let him do that…"He will play 3B. That is where we drafted him to play." What a great philosophy for bringing up a talented kid like Rendon. You can't expect Rendon to keep switching positions and be a gold glover over there. Zimmerman has been playing 3B his whole career and he can't even throw the ball to 1B. I have more confidence in watching a 12-year old make that throw.

216. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Wild Card!!! For some reason, it reminds me of the Simpsons' spoof of The Music Man.Monorail! Monorail! Monorail! That is more of a Shelbyville idea….. This team in the Wild Card…..Hahahahahahahhahah…. Can't breathe…… Mick is the one who always makes me enjoy reading here….

217. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:01 PM

The anti-social one is back. If you preface your post with "you idiots", I ain't reading it. Grow up

218. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM

DP – Werth is good to see right now… he has been on fire.. actually the entire OF has been playing well…

219. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Werth has been unintentionally-intentionally walked to get to LaRoche twice today by Verlander.

220. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:04 PM

LaRoche…

221. Tcostant - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Ohlendorf was only throwing in the mid-80's in the last inning of his last start. Maybe he was hurt then???

222. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM

MRSB. At this point I don't care who is in the rotation. Bring up Karns, Rosenbaum whoever. The bigger issue is we still have ALR in the middle of the lineup next year and an unnecessary expensive closer still here next year.

223. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM

ok I admit this is not looking good.

224. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Oh adam… *sigh*

225. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Answer to someone's question. This was the worst Gio game I could find.7/20/2009http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK200907200.shtml

226. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:10 PM

JD – I'm in full agreement, my friend… Our offense is offensive…

227. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Give what up? It doesn't matter if Span hits .400 the rest of the year. We needed him to be up and ready to go on day one. Not August 1. Day 1. I see all over people are beginning to realize that the Span and Soriano deals tore the team apart, but we will continue to see them supported here until the bitter end….

228. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:10 PM

The current Marlins manager played in that game and went 2/5 off Gio, NL. Lol…

229. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM

On the bright side A.J Cole pitched another strong game at AA. No earned runs 3 walks and 6 strike outs in 6 innings.

230. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Time for the 9 run rally.

231. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I guess we will see next year but Ryan Zimmerman may end up being the Alfonso Soriano that the Nats were not smart enough to let go, but if Ryan Zimmerman is the face of the franchise for the next six years, he better start playing more like David Wright….

232. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:14 PM

C and D sound disgruntled…

233. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Rendon, Rendon, Rendon… *sigh*

234. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Jake Johanssen has been very good so far in the minors too.

235. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:22 PM

First 2 batters are fine Wonder how many % of Desi's. K are looking. How come their flies. Fall short and tgeirs have no troble clearing the fence.

236. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM

How come Craig does fine in long relief, but whenever we put him in for one inning, it seems like he sucks?

237. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Justin Maxwell to the Royals…

238. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:26 PM

DP, FP and Carp said as a former starter, Stammen sometimes needs an inning or so to get the feel for his slider.

239. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:30 PM

We have got to beat that out!

240. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM

This day just keeps getting better.

241. EmDash - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM

It's the least of the Nats' problems, but I find myself maybe most upset today about Ohlendorf's injury because it was so obviously likely with his mistreatment in his last start, and so easily avoidable. He was allowed to throw 114 pitches – the most he's thrown in a big league game since *2009* – even though his velocity went down 10 MPH between the first and last innings he threw. Awful. He was at least a nice story to root for, a guy reinventing himself after lots of struggle, but if his velocity's down that much he probably should be out for a while.

242. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Just what we need, Harper with an oblique? He does not look right.

243. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Um…someone take him out. It's a 10-1 game.

244. NatsNutty - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM

If it's now "wait till next year," but we still have the same team next year, ipso facto, wouldn't the results for next year be the same as this year? "Inquiring minds want to know!"

245. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Not to pile on but didn't Proctor tell us last night we would get a split? Oh well it's ok Proct.

246. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I never said we would get a split. I said let's wait until the series is over before freaking out. Feel free to freak out now.

247. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM

EmDash–agree, and that was 100% on Davey. He got greedy, AGAIN.

248. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Span and Harper are the only ones who did anything today (save Jayson W's 2 walks) but is Harper hurt now?

249. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM

It looked like an oblique, but he took two good swings afterwards. I guess we'll find out. I don't get why he was allowed to finish the AB. Maybe it really was just a cramp.

250. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM

EmDash – I was very surprised that Ross O pitched… Said it earlier… I was thinking Craig Stammen, whole time…But Im hopeful that he is okay…

251. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Oblique hurt because he swung way to hard for non contact. If tou are going to swibg that hard you need to make contact.Then Davey let him stay in . Booooooo

252. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM

No, NatsNutty. Variability in MLB overlaps seasons. The Cincy Reds only won 79 games in 1971 sandwiched in between two pennant winners. Everything that could have gone wrong this year has gone wrong. Regression to the mean is our friend ….unless……

253. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Well.. we beat them here and they be us there…Wish this road trip could have started differently, but alas, this inconsistent offense is baffling…

254. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM

What is the biggest comeback in Nats history?

255. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Bud Norris going to the Orioles.

256. A DC Wonk - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I was very surprised that Ross O pitchedIt's been five days, right? Isn't that normal for a starter?

257. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM

The stars of,this team have been pathetic this season. Mr october has to make a big pitch last night and he can't. Cy young runner up gets crushed today and smiles about it. Jordan appears to have hit the wall. ALR is a disaster at the plate. Ry Zimm is a disaster in the field…. How in the world can you win like that?

258. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Stammen is a piece of work.When it matters hasnt pitched well.When not close he pitches fine.

259. EmDash - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM

It's 10-1. Take the maybe-injured guy you really need healthy out. For god's sake.

260. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM

O's trying to keep up with both the Red Sox and Rays…Rays have the pitching though…

261. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Old news.How is that insults

262. NatsNutty - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I hope you're right, William O.! I just received an email that my 2014 season tickets will renew on August 5! I will renew forever, but I need to feel some hope for the future!

263. SCNatsFan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM

And it looks like tomorrow we will go to war with the same 25 and hope they turn it around.World Series or bust!

264. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Hahaha David just messing with you. I stopped freaking out a long time ago.

265. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Boy that's all I need. Ravens win Super Bowl. Os win World Series.

266. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I'm sorry, but I'm really down on Davey. You can argue Rizzo all you want, but he presented Davey with a team that had very few holes. If Davey didn't like the bullpen, he had a tongue–he could have said so, instead of gallavanting all over the world.I was just listening to a potential manager on KLaw's podcast. He said, managing is a year-round job. You have to live in your team's city in the off-season, make prep, etc. etc. If you and your family are not ready for that level of commitment, don't do it. Davey could have said, Look I watched Henry all last year, it's not going to work, give me Abad or pay the $$ for Howell. He mismanaged Storen terribly. He wanted, LaRoche, fine, I was ok with that–but, sheesh, LaRoche should have been on the DL when it was clear he wasn't getting over the stomach flu like the other players did. And don't get me started on his in-game decisions. Quite simply, Davey should never have managed in 2012. He should have finished out the 2011 season and then we should have got a real manager.

267. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Torii has the triple if the 3B coach sends Avila.

268. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I turned the game off and have turned on the movie "Rocky" with Carl Weathers. If we had somebody like Carl Weathers, we would be in first place. That guy was an actor and an athlete, sort of like Jim Brown. What happened to those guys?

269. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I thought Hunter had the cycle.

270. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM

SCNatsFan–no, we won't. Tomorrow is an off-day. Gotta wait until Friday to see this bunch again.

271. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Well said Nats lady. An absolute abysmal job by Davey this season.

272. phil dunton - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Nats will be lucky to win 75 games this season.

273. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Im not down on DJ like most… But I recognize that some of his in-game decisions have cost us a couple of games… Its a shame that he has to go out like this – barring any type of miracle (which I of course hope happens)- but the Nats havent really shown enough consistency to really get the hopes high…

274. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I got 90 losses Phil

275. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I would be surprised of LaRoche is on the roster next year. Span is playing for his job. He's been good lately. If (big if) he finishes the season like he is now, then he keeps his job. If not, he's gone too.

276. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Mark is hilarious – '3:43 p.m. โ€” 11-1. Onto the eighth. It's almost over. I promise.'

277. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM

We're not gonna lose 90 games.

278. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM

DP – I think Span serves his 2 years and then Goodwin comes up… Still wondering about C Brown as well…

279. mick - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:49 PM

did I miss anythinglol

280. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM

NatsLady, I thought Davie did a good job in 2012. What I think Happened this year is that he expected a smooth ride to the playoffs and was caught off guard and he wasn't equipped to deal with the cluster F this season has become. Rizzo was reluctant to commit to ALR and in hindsight maybe he should have taken a pass. People forget that Tyler Moore was a good player last year and I don't think he should be discarded before we know darn sure that he isn't the answer. Now would have been a real good time to plug him in at 1st for the remainder of the year IMO.

281. phil dunton - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Davey made Rizzo re-sign Laroche. Nats Lady, you are right. Most of the blame for this mess lies with a manager who is barely breathing. How could he motivate anyone?

282. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I suspect if we lose a few more games, we'll see old pal Danny Espinosa back up. Might as well see what he has with his new swing, even though he's doing nothing at Syracuse. Same for Tyler Moore, except he's actually producing at Syracuse.

283. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:53 PM

JD – Its not too late to plug T Moore in… I read that he was doing his thing down in the 'Cuse… Granted, pitching is different but T Moore has always been a player that needs to play every day and maybe Adam needs a break and he can get some needed at bats…But I dont think he is the ultimate answer at 1B given how poor some of the in-field throws are to 1st… But at this point, it wouldnt hurt to have him in there…

284. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Davey did an okay job in 2012, especially early in the year with all the injuries. But he didn't do great in September, and he definitely didn't do great in October, and I don't just mean Game 5. I am still upset that RZ thought it was ok, it was "what we needed," to come home from St Louis with a split, after winning Game 1.

285. EmDash - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I definitely see why Davey wears out his welcome everywhere he goes – when the team's winning, his bravado seems charming, but when it's not it's just off-putting and kind of exhausting.Many of his decisions I can't rationalize except that they were made to make a point to Rizzo about the player's roster spot. The Giants game in May – in which he had Yunesky Maya pitch in a walk-off situation, despite literally any other pitcher being a better option, is just the most glaring. Pitchers left in when they're clearly on fumes. The worst possible option being used out of the bullpen – Storen still has the highest leverage index of all relievers on the team, despite his frequent struggles, and was being used in those situations until just a day or two before his demotion.I don't blame him for pinch-hitting decisions, because there's really been no good options for him there. And maybe the difference overall would be marginal/just a few wins. But the pitcher management this year has just been bizarre.As for no trades happening – unless they can find someone who can help next season, standing pat is smart. Most of the regulars are doing fine – the runs are just really oddly distributed, but they've scored the 5th most in the NL this month – and Gio, Stras, Zimm should still be good next season, occasional bad games being things that happen to everybody. Pretty good 4th starting pitcher (I'd be fine with not taking a flier on a high risk-high reward guy like Haren again), improve the bench and bullpen, and hope for better health and the talent should still be there to be competitive next year because most of the team is young.

286. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:55 PM

David, Why wait? On Espi I don't agree. Rizzo can say what he wants but if you hit .189 at AAA you don't earn a promotion. Espi should have gotten himself healthy and he should still do this in time for next year.

287. karlkolchak - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

"We're not going to lose 90 games" – I'd take even money on that, especially if we continue to get mediocre to horrible outings from Gio, J-Znn and Stras–and there have been a lot of those lately. Teams that are imploding often do far worse as the season drags on, so 90 losses is definitely in play.Anyway, just the fact that we are discussing the possibility shows what an absolute disaster this season has been.

288. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

And for all his vaunted personal skills and teaching skills– Danny is in the minors, Storen is in the minors (two of the more talented young men on this team), Rendon is struggling–and McCatty is in the hospital.

289. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM

EmDash – the Dodgers series was the breaking point for me… at that point, DJ knew that the Nats had to get it going.. had to really play every series like the last… DJ got out managed that entire series…I was so livid… Gosh I was so livid… Mattingly was strategic and DJ was loyal and used his personal wrong…

290. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM

But, believe it or not, I still have hope. Put these two games behind you. Get 2 or 3 from Milwaukee. Come home and win three home series. Get about 5 games above .500 by mid-August. Stay in the hunt for the WC.

291. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Oh, and get 11 runs in the top of the 9th–has that ever been done?

292. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:59 PM

NL, No discussion. Davie has been terrible this year up to an including today. You don't let one of your top starters give up 10 runs. He didn't have it today and he should have been out after 2

293. phil dunton - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:59 PM

EmDash, You ignore the fact the this team has no chemistry.

294. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I think losing Danny Espinosa has had a bigger impact on this team than anyone admits. Last year, he was a very valuable player. He hit for power, he stole bases and his average wasn't atrocious (.253). Yes, he struck out a lot, too much, but I would take 2012 Danny Espinosa back. That doesn't even include his defense, which everyone knows about. He was a good player, even if he frustrated us. That's why I think the organization will stick with him and hope he gets right.

295. NatsLady - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:00 PM

The only reason you would bring Danny back is if you think Rendon needs to go down. I think we are past that, unfortunately. Rendon is just going to have to learn on the job.

296. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:00 PM

David, No question. You are 100% correct.

297. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:00 PM

When Harper winced – at that point, he should have sat… No Question… Down 11 to 1…Why even think about letting him talk you into trying to stay in…

298. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Remember – Danny had a better 2nd half in 2012 also…But the whole injuries thing was baffling…

299. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Norris to O's

300. EmDash - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I generally ignore chemistry, yes, because it's a minor factor. Teams who win feel good and have fun, teams who don't, don't.The story before the season was that the Dodgers had terrible chemistry because they were a bunch of high-priced free agents and the Giants had great chemistry because they were scrappy and had the same personnel that won the World Series last year. What happened? Once the Dodgers' players who were injured came back, they've played great. The Giants had a bunch of injuries, some regression and poor pitching, and their bench and reserves couldn't pick up the slack. There's no chemistry in health and talent.

301. JD - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Anyhow, Rizzo should: 1)Place ALR and Soriano on waivers immediately to see who bites. 2)If Knorr is the guy for next year, may as well start this year. 3)If Knorr isn't that Rizzo should be making quiet calls to the likes of Brad Ausmus.

302. karlkolchak - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM

David Proctor – no way on Espinosa. He had about a 10-day hot streak in early July, but in his last 13 games is batting .118 with no XBH and 18 strikeouts.

303. do1teach1 - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM

This game was over the instant we were down 2-1.In 18 innings–again–total of 2 runs–again.The next two months are going to be really ugly.

304. karlkolchak - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Mark: "4:00 p.m. โ€” Meanwhile, the trade deadline just passed. Barring something completely out of the blue in the last few minutes, the Nationals didn't do anything."Just like their offense–bada BOOM!

305. Secret wasian man - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM

You mean uglier than now???? OH BOY

306. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Yeah, Davey is to blame for McCatty being in the hospital.

307. Greg Essner - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM

once again Rizzo does noyhing to improve this team what a boob.fire Rizzo save our team.

308. EmDash - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Improving a team 10 games back at the trade deadline would be a sucker bet. Prices for marginal players – like Justin Maxwell, for example – are inflated because low supply/high demand as everyone is scrabbling to get/stay in the playoff picture. Standing pat until the end of the season is the smarter move at this point, honestly.

309. do1teach1 - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Our scouting group never fails to sing its own praises. I wonder if any of them considered getting Chris Davis? Or were we out-scouted by…Angelos?

310. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM

How about a trade of ALR for Chris Davis? People keep talking about ALR's glove and the O's probably need some fielding if they want to make the post-season.Fielding is everything.