Jul 31, 2013, 1:31 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: The Nationals arrived in Detroit feeling good about themselves after winning three straight against the Mets over the weekend, but they quickly realized they were in for a tougher fight against the Tigers. Stephen Strasburg and Anibal Sanchez engaged in a strong pitchers' duel for five innings, each allowing one run and pitching with high efficiency. But then things unraveled for Strasburg in the sixth, capped by Alex Avila's game-changing grand slam. The Nationals couldn't recover from that, so Strasburg was left to take another tough loss, and the Nats' good weekend vibes were smothered. With the Braves up big against Colorado, the Nationals were in danger of falling 10 games back in the NL East by night's end, with Wednesday's 4 p.m. trade deadline looming.
Hitting lowlight: Three batters into this game, the Nationals looked like they might have something cooking against Sanchez. Bryce Harper's leadoff triple and Ryan Zimmerman's RBI singleRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent