Jul 31, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
DETROIT — Pitching coach Steve McCatty has been cleared to be released from the hospital and plans to rejoin the Nationals on Monday for the start of their next homestand.
McCatty, 59, has been in a D.C. hospital since Sunday, when he experienced high blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat. He was hoping to be released and travel to Detroit, his hometown, for this week’s series with the Tigers but wasn’t cleared by doctors yet.
McCatty still hasn’t been cleared to travel, so he’ll miss this weekend’s series in Milwaukee, reassuming his position on Monday when the Nationals return home to face the first-place Braves.
Davey Johnson has been handling pitching coach duties in McCatty’s absence since Sunday, but the Nationals manager said the organization plans to bring in a temporary replacement for the weekend series in Milwaukee. The two likely options: Class AAA pitching coach Greg Booker and minor-league pitching coordinator Spin Williams.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate