Jul 31, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
DETROIT — Pitching coach Steve McCatty has been cleared to be released from the hospital and plans to rejoin the Nationals on Monday for the start of their next homestand.
McCatty, 59, has been in a D.C. hospital since Sunday, when he experienced high blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat. He was hoping to be released and travel to Detroit, his hometown, for this week’s series with the Tigers but wasn’t cleared by doctors yet.
McCatty still hasn’t been cleared to travel, so he’ll miss this weekend’s series in Milwaukee, reassuming his position on Monday when the Nationals return home to face the first-place Braves.
Davey Johnson has been handling pitching coach duties in McCatty’s absence since Sunday, but the Nationals manager said the organization plans to bring in a temporary replacement for the weekend series in Milwaukee. The two likely options: Class AAA pitching coach Greg Booker and minor-league pitching coordinator Spin Williams.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season