Jul 31, 2013, 3:49 PM EST
DETROIT — Pitching coach Steve McCatty has been cleared to be released from the hospital and plans to rejoin the Nationals on Monday for the start of their next homestand.
McCatty, 59, has been in a D.C. hospital since Sunday, when he experienced high blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat. He was hoping to be released and travel to Detroit, his hometown, for this week’s series with the Tigers but wasn’t cleared by doctors yet.
McCatty still hasn’t been cleared to travel, so he’ll miss this weekend’s series in Milwaukee, reassuming his position on Monday when the Nationals return home to face the first-place Braves.
Davey Johnson has been handling pitching coach duties in McCatty’s absence since Sunday, but the Nationals manager said the organization plans to bring in a temporary replacement for the weekend series in Milwaukee. The two likely options: Class AAA pitching coach Greg Booker and minor-league pitching coordinator Spin Williams.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?