Jul 31, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
DETROIT — Pitching coach Steve McCatty has been cleared to be released from the hospital and plans to rejoin the Nationals on Monday for the start of their next homestand.
McCatty, 59, has been in a D.C. hospital since Sunday, when he experienced high blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat. He was hoping to be released and travel to Detroit, his hometown, for this week’s series with the Tigers but wasn’t cleared by doctors yet.
McCatty still hasn’t been cleared to travel, so he’ll miss this weekend’s series in Milwaukee, reassuming his position on Monday when the Nationals return home to face the first-place Braves.
Davey Johnson has been handling pitching coach duties in McCatty’s absence since Sunday, but the Nationals manager said the organization plans to bring in a temporary replacement for the weekend series in Milwaukee. The two likely options: Class AAA pitching coach Greg Booker and minor-league pitching coordinator Spin Williams.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants