Game 109: Nats at Brewers

Aug 2, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

Throughout the season's first half, there was no more sure thing on the Nationals roster than Jordan Zimmermann, who enjoyed a breakthrough three months to earn his first career All-Star berth and thrust himself into the early conversation for NL Cy Young honors. But then came July, and all of a sudden Zimmermann has looked quite ordinary on the mound; over his last five starts, he's 1-3 with a 7.18 ERA.

The Nationals could certainly use a bounce-back performance from Zimmermann tonight against the Brewers, and the right-hander himself would like nothing more than to deliver a dominant outing in his home state of Wisconsin and give his team a chance to right its ship after a terrible series in Detroit to begin the week.

The Brewers, playing without the suspended Ryan Braun, send a familiar face to the mound tonight in Tom Gorzelanny. The former Nats reliever has taken over starting duties in Milwaukee and has pitched well, going 2-4 with a 2.83 ERA.

I'm not in Milwaukee for the series, but please enjoy the conversation as always here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MILWAUKEE BREWERS
Where: Miller Park
Gametime: 8:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 182
Weather: Partly cloudy, 76 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to CF

LF Bryce Harper
2B Anthony Rendon

1. Tcostant - Aug 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM

To bad Zimmermann's bad karma started when he said "no mas" to playing in the All-Star game.

2. SonnyG10 - Aug 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM

JZimm due for a big bounce back. I look for a quality win tonight. Go Zimnn, GYFNG!!!

3. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 1mNew t-shirt in the #nats clubhouse courtesy of Bryce Harper. It says "To the last minute, to the last second, to the last man. We fight."I love this kid.

4. Kirbs - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Let see, last years Nats vs this year…Jackson, W. Lannan, ND and W,…..hopefully we break the trend.

5. Secret wasian man - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I would like to see Tyler More up here to play first for ALR against LHP. ALR good for 2 ks tonight. Should get 3 this weekend. Unless we are reaaaaaALLY BAD.

6. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Gorzelanny is going to be a tough matchup for us because we can't hit lefties. He's going to be especially hard on Harper.

7. John C. - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised that all three lefties (Harper, LaRoche, Span) are in the lineup tonight. Of course, Hairston hasn't exactly pushed very hard for playing time so far (2 for 17 with one walk and 7 K's as a Nat).To the last minute, to the last second!

8. waddu eye no - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM

"Zimmermann's bad karma"my karma ran over my dogmagyfng

9. baseballswami - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

You know, I have heard people refer to JZ " refusing" to pitch in the ASG. I was under the impression that the Nats organization, upon advice from the trainers, were requesting he not pitch so that his neck could heal. I see his issues partly stemming from too much extra rest– too strong, and out of routines– trouble with " feel" pitches. He has had that issue in the past. I don't see that he is back on any kind of a regular routine yet, and there have been days off and so- ??? We always struggle against soft tossing lefties so the Lannans and Gorzos of this world keep their SP jobs. Hope the Wisconsin factor clicks into place for JZ. Whole hometown will probably shut down for the night.

10. sjm308 - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Have to love Harper! Not just the slogan but the fact that he bought the t-shirt in. Just a class act.Very interesting reading in the last few posts. I had no idea that both our corner guys rated so low in the sabermetric areas and while I have a hard time with stats, I have to believe they have merit. My question is – does Rizzo value them as much as his scouting eye and scouting staff?Thanks in advanceGo Nats!!

11. baseballswami - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Oh– and. Free Tyler Moore!!!!

12. sjm308 - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Next question – How long do you think Davey/Rizzo stay with Rendon if he continues to struggle? I realize Espinosa is not setting the world on fire in Syracuse but will they wait until Sept.? We are still mathematically in this race and I would hope everyone is on the same page as far as putting the best lineup out there for each game. If you guys think that is Rendon I will certainly not question that.

13. SCNatsFan - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Hope we smoke Gorzo tonight

14. karlkolchak - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM

15. Section 222 - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I still think Rendon is better than Espi. I also think that ALR is better than Moore, at least until September when he can be brought up without having to DL ALR and ALR can hit against righties if Moore isn't setting the world on fire. I wish we could find a replacement for Tracy, though I recognize that doing so isn't going to turn the season around.I'm very worried about what happens when TJordan is shut down, and I don't expect that Haren will continue to pitch well. Time will tell.

16. John C. - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM

sjm – fielding stats are, to be charitable, more art and guesswork than science. They look authoritative (oooh, numbers! it must be precise!) but even the sabremetric wizards will tell you that the fielding stats need to be looked at over a three year period before you can really draw conclusions.For the most part they are cited by those whose arguments they seem to support, and dismissed by those whose arguments they contradict.

17. John C. - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM

And before you bench Rendon, remember that after a brief exciting flurry, Espinosa has turned back into, well, Espinosa. He is OPS'ing .558 in AAA (blech).

18. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Defensive sabremetric stats are still a work in progress at best. Even Brian Kenny, the king of all that stuff, admits that. Having said that, the eye test tends to support that ALR and Zim have diminished range.

19. NatsLady - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I read that MLB teams have a system like Pitch f/x for defense but are reluctant to release the information. Pitch f/x was never expected to take off the way it has, becoming a resource for pundits, bloggers and other teams. They don't want defense f/x to go the same route. A shame, really. The more information fans have, the higher the level of interest, IMO.

20. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM

How would defense f/x even work? There's an established strike zone so that makes sense. Seems like it'd be harder to apply that to defense.

21. Nats106 - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM

karlkolchak said… "To the last minute, to the last second, to the last man. We fight."- Gen. George Custer Maybe not the right guy to quote when judging the final result.

22. sjm308 - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Thanks JohnC and I hope you guys don't hold it against this old fan if I stay with my eye test. I still feel Span is the real deal in CF and I will not believe the sabermetrics that tell me something different. They can't measure his jump and the way he glides.I am not suggesting Espinosa, I just worry about Rendon digging a huge hole in his first season. He won't be the first rookie to struggle and the example I will use is Willie Mays. He was actually begging Leo Doroucher to send him down. Leo was pretty smart though and Willie figured it out. Couple of stats to promote Willie as one of the best if not the best ballplayer ever.'1. Only player to hit a homerun in EVERY inning from the 1st to the 16th! 2. Hit 3 triples in one game!3. Lead the NL in Home Runs and in Stolen Bases 4 times and they were all in different years.I will stop there. Guess who is reading a book about Willie??

23. hiramhover - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM

As I understand it, defense f/x is an electronic system for coding the location and type of balls in play. The defensive metrics now rely on similar data plotted by human observers. This automates the process and makes it more precise and accurate. It doesnt make judgments about who should have got the ball, assign errors, etc.

24. A DC Wonk - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM

New t-shirt in the #nats clubhouse courtesy of Bryce Harper. It says "To the last minute, to the last second, to the last man. We fight."Reminds me of when Tug McGraw started "You Gotta Believe" with the 1973 NY Mets.On Aug 1 of that year, they were 13 games under .500, and 10.5 games out.They ended up making it to Game 7 of the WS.

25. A DC Wonk - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Re: Willie MaysHe also hit 660 HR's by mostly playing in two parks:Polo Fields (where it was 480' to dead center) (yes, you read that right — 480')And Candlestick Park.(While Hank Aaron had the benefit of "moving the fences in" park).(OTOH, look at the game logs — he did start hitless in his first three games, and slumped for his first 15 — but it looks like Mays pretty much "figured it out" before he played his 20th game.)

26. NatsLady - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Here is a write-up. Not available to the public. There is also Trackman, which is satellite-based version of pitch f/x, which I guess you could purchase if you had the inclination.field f/xhttp://www.sportvision.com/baseball/fieldfx

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Wonk, I love it!

28. JD - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM

SjmYou may not be able to measure the jump and glide but you can certainly measure how many balls he gets to and where the balls are that he does or does not get to.

29. JD - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Why is Random hitting 2nd?

30. hiramhover - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Because he was randomly assigned?

31. Steady Eddie - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Nats 106 — that quote has nothing to do with Custer — it's a line from the movie "Red Tails." KK can't stop being a hater even when the immediate topic isn't baseball.

32. do1teach1 - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM

August baseball. Here goes: either the best two months in DC baseball history, or the worst two.

33. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I've been thinking. Assuming no major run is coming, I still think this is a good season for our guys. It's a learning experience. You can't assume anything. You have to go out there and play your asses off for 162 games, like they did last year. I think they'll learn from this season and that fire we saw last year will be back next year. Consider it a learning curve for our young guys (and even a guy like Zim, who isn't young, but who hasn't been in this situation before).

34. baseballswami - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:10 PM

When you start talking " worst two months in Nats history", there is a LOT of competition for that dubious honor. I really hope this next two months is not in that conversation.

35. baseballswami - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Will Nieves is still playing!!! On TV- a DBack. Wow. I really would rather have the Cards and Cincy, but of course, the powers that be always think we want to watch AL baseball, especially the Sox or Yanks. Got to pass some time until the Nats.

36. NatsLady - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Bronson Arroyo already gave up 4 runs in the 1st inning and Cincy's bullpen is up. You ain't missing anything, swami.Report on Goodwin. Brian Goodwinhttp://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/08/harrisburg_senators_place_cf_b.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

37. A DC Wonk - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:28 PM

DP at 7:09 — I hear you. Good comment. I've been having this feeling, too. Perhaps last year came too easy for them. If any part of that is true to _any_ extent — they're not going to make that mistake next year.

38. A DC Wonk - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM

hiramhover said… Because he was randomly assigned?Hey! I just got that.Nice.

39. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I'm not sure I saw it discussed, but did anybody read the piece on Espi today in the Washington Post? Very candid and very interesting.

40. A DC Wonk - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM

DP, yes, I read it. Very informative. (Reading that and the Storen story made me remember just how young are guys are)After reading it, I realize he wasn't being stubborn, it was that he lost confidence and kept falling back to bad habits.Short summary from what I can remember: he needed to swing slightly later, which helps him compact his swing. But when he was late for fastballs, he'd fall back to swinging earlier, re-creating the loopy long swing.Sounds like a smart hitting coach down there with him, btw.I wish him the best. Having two great 2b-man would be a nice "problem" to have.

41. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM

First two ABs for Tyler Moore today: RBI single, 3 run home run.

42. NatsLady - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Kevin Brown ‏@kevinnbrown 2mFirst two at-bats for @T_Mo12 tonight: RBI single, three-run homer. In 19 games since being optioned: .408/.506/.704, 5 HR, 22 RBI. #Nats

43. sjm308 - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM

DP – not sure which post I put that in but I also was intrigued with the Espinosa article. I felt it was great that the Post sent a writer up there and I felt it was good reporting as well. Lots of tough questions and to me, the quote of the article was "I am playing for 30 teams". Espinosa is not a dummy. He realizes by playing both SS and 2nd he is able to showcase himself not just for the Nats. I am hoping he is with us soon.Go Nats!!

44. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I hate rooting for the Fillies. Their baby pitcher looks good, though. And back to back HRs against Medlin.

45. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Call up T Man!

46. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Free Tyler Moore.

47. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Thanks, DP, that was funny.

48. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Medlen sure has come back to Earth. I remember when people were comparing him to all-time greats based off half a season.

49. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

+Infinity FREE T-MO (he has to be better on the bench than what we have)BTW.. I heart Wonk and SJM308! Thanks for keeping it positive and factual (and others included as well)Love Bryce on not giving up. GYFNG! LETS GO NATS!!!

50. Candide - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Supposed to be 8:10 start. Why am I watching an interview with Rizzo at 8:17?

51. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Candide.. Robin Yount Celeberation at MIL and Hank Aaron in the park for this, so forgive them.

52. DJB - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I would say I'm moderately nervous about the franchise going forward. I like the starting pitching, but don't know whether our young guns are being worn down by lack of run support. LaRoche and Span signings were clearly busts, but short-term deals. I feel we have a Ryan Howard problem with Ryan Zimm's long-term contract. We need more power in the lineup. Not fond at all of signing Rizzo as both GM and President of Baseball Operations. I would like to have emulated the Cards system and integrated a stats-based management team. The understanding of what succeeds in baseball is changing. I think offense is relatively more important now because of the reduction in runs throughout the league. A prime example are the Orioles. We have set ourselves up to be about a .500 team for the next several years. Worse, I think the Lerners are fine with that.

53. Candide - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Thanks, MicheleS. Wouldn't kill anyone on MASN to say so, would it?

54. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Tyler Moore just hit another Grand Slam. So he's 3/3 with 8 RBI, a 3 run homer and a Grand Slam tonight. He's been UNSTOPPABLE.

55. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I have seen enough of Anthony Rendon. Not sure where to go from here.

56. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Bryce went through this last year. Just have to be patient. We don't have many other options.

57. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Polo Grounds, Wonk….but it was real short down the line.and they didn't play polo below Coogan's Bluff. The NY Baseball Giants played on the North end of Central Park in a field called the Polo Grounds. They brought the name with them when they moved to Harlem.

58. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Nats Jack you beat me too it. I booted up to say that Rendon has worn out his welcome and saw your post. At least Danny swings.

59. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Here's to JZimm having a better night…*sigh* Leadoff double.. Lets strand him!Go Nats!

60. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

NJ, more youth…The minor leagues help a player develop. He hasn't the chance.But why keep putting the kid 2nd and the Scare Crow cleanup.

61. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM

More needs to be up here playing first base against lefties. LaRoche cant hit.

62. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Rendon needs to adjust… I remember when Harp went thru this… Desi too…Hopefully, he will get it going…

63. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I don't care for the line up… But I definitely wouldn't have ARen batting 2nd right now…

64. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Bryce was 19. Rendon is 23.And this has been going on for 6 weeks.

65. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:40 AM

yes, the 73 Mets won 83 games and made it all the way to WS. But it was the playoffs where Met shortstop had fistacuffs with Big Pete Rose (compared to Harrlelson, but a good guy. He signed a picture of him for me when I was 13 year, saying Jeff, Believe in yourself. Hard to do, but insightful thought in 1974)

66. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM

But wouldn't a little more seasoning down on the farm help Rendon ?I think Bryce spent more time down there than Antony

67. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM

NatsJack.. WHAT IS UP WITH JZ??

68. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM

JZimm can't command his slider. That's been the biggest issue during his slump. He just threw 3 sliders in a row and none of them were close. And when he does get it over, it's getting too much plate.

69. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I don't have a problem with sending Anthony back down, I'm just not sure we have any better options. Is anyone comfortable with Lombardozzi as the everyday 2B?

70. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

If we score more than 1 run, I think we give it a moral victory

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I'm worried about Jordan Z…

72. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Yep, It's the slider that JZIM can't command.

73. karlkolchak - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Steady Eddie – not a hater, just a realist. Quotes like that one are a mark of desperation–a just plain silly to boot.

74. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Kilgore said.. JZ doing a lot of shoulder shaking.. ummmm..

75. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM

David. It's why I said "Not sure where we go from here".

76. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM

agreed DP, would like to see him learn a bit more though.i just get concerned when NJ gets concerned. NJ, does Rendon need to recognize off speeds better

77. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Quotes like what?

78. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Even if he's with the Crew hate to see that happen to Gorzy.

79. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Hope Gorzelanny is okay.

80. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Ouch… Don't like pitchers leaving becuz of injuries…

81. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Crap never want to see a guy hurt. I hope Gorzo is okay

82. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

He's gone. Werth liner off Gorzy's arm/hand knocks Forzy out. Yikes.

83. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Thats crazy what happened on that comebacker

84. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Rendon has lost his ability to turn on an inside fast ball.He's taken that pitch for called strike three an awful lot lately.

85. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Dang – I've always liked Gorzy… I had hope that he and Burnett would have been kept…Hope all is okay with him!

86. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Thanks NJ, will look for it.

87. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Larouche looks darn lost. Time for Tyler Moore

88. paul brandt - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:59 AM

damn, gorzo! hope he is ok, always liked him as a middle and long guy but why he is a starter? imagine they just need one.

89. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Rendon has taken way to many called strike three's.

90. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:01 AM

NJ (at your 9pm post) – that's how I feel about Ryan Z…

91. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

With Ryan Z, he's taken way to many called strike one's right down the middle.

92. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

This pitcher for the Brewers is going to put everybody to sleep.

93. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Span looking.

94. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Did MASN just play the Comcast Sports Net music going to commercial?

95. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Was watching at a bar when Morse cracked a double in the gap in his game the Nats 1st baseman hit a weak liner to the 2nd baseman.Free Michael Morse

96. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM

This whole team's inability to recognize strikes is wearing me out.

97. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I know this never happens, but why not have the hitters face live pitching? I mean, the pitchers throw bullpen sessions anyway, right? Why not just throw those but with batters facing off across from you. Is there a reason that never happens?

98. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Simultaneous co9mbustion as the Braves go up 6-2

99. sjm308 - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I asked about Rendon earlier today – I just don't see how they can stay with what I am seeing much longer. Not just for our club but for the kids psyche.MichelleS I rarely post during games but what the heck and I found your nice comment – thank you!!(Justin's on Wed??)OK, I will head back to the TV but one more notice is the batting averages of the first few Brewers compared to our lads. Does everyone hit better than we do? OuchGo Nats!! Zimmnn will bounce back this inning and ditch the slider

100. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:11 AM

KK — you were mocking Bryce for showing some fire. That's what a hater does. This is not about the Nats' realistic prospects for what's left of this season. I expect little of them at this point and have only the faintest hope for much more. That quote was about Bryce trying to stir things up for the better. Only a hater mocks that, as you did.

101. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Who cares about the Braves? If you want to scoreboard watch, watch the Reds. They're losing at least.

102. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Come on Ryan… The first throw wasn't really any better either….

103. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Oh Ryan…1B is in your future.

104. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Zimmerman on cue costs his pitchers again. Move him to 1st now. Past being acceptable.

105. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Well at least the E didn't cost us anything

106. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:14 AM

RZimm (sigh). OK, but for LaRoche that would have gone in the dugout. Didn't cost much. JZ got the pitcher easily…

107. ExposedinDC - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:16 AM

What's funny is, when RZ makes a good throw, I'm surprised….when he sails one, I am not surprised at all.

108. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I think Ryan can be a gold glove 1B. He can pick balls with the best of them. He has great range (the only reason he doesn't this year is because he can't throw). The 3-4-3 double plays will be an adventure but still. Obviously, it'll take some adjustment, but he can still be a very valuable player. At 3B, he's killing us right now though.

109. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:23 AM

So am I the only one that thinks this 30 year old AAA retread is going to shut down the Nats?

110. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Natslady 0 It cost a lot. Instead of the leadoff being the pitcher its Weeks

111. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Oh boy. Storen comes in leading 5-3, gives up two ground ball singles ad throws away a Billy Hamilton sac bunt for a run, then a ground out for a run. Too much like his Nats appearances (tho I don't recall him making errors too).At least he K'd Ryan Ludwick.

112. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM

This team is just awful in SOOOOOOOOO many ways.

113. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM

David – show you know baseball. Its a 3-6-3 double0play

114. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Yes, I'm bad with the numbers. I always get them confused. Sorry. I don't think that makes me less knowledgeable about baseball.

115. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:27 AM

give me Lombo and Bernie. I am just sick sick sick of Span and Rendon

116. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Figaro has given up 13 hrs in 58 innings. We are pretty good at solos.

117. paul brandt - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I don't like to say this but Rzim = Steve Sax, its all mental…tough to watch, hope he can get over it.

118. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:31 AM

woo hoo, in 2010, he gave up 39 hrs in 124 innings at Toledo..Hot Dog!

119. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Here's what I don't get. Zim had his share of throwing errors last year, but it was never this bad. Did his shoulder surgery actually make his throwing WORSE? Am I missing something?

120. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I can't read…that was 39 walks ;(

121. hiramhover - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM

This is not one of JZimm's best nights, but it would be more than good enough–if his offense would score some f@*!ing runs, that is.

122. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:33 AM

hit hard!!!!

123. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Jason going yard

124. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Amazing we can't get to this journeyman reliever. Come ON, guys!!!!

125. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM

David and me watching different scores shouldnt require your 9:11PM comment.

126. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Born in Milwaukee in 1947 Left at the age of 2 1/2 when my parents moved to Falls Church. Have very fond memories of visiting my grandparents every summer and going to County Stadium and watching the Braves during their heyday.

127. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM

A two out single!!!!

128. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I hope Chipper comes into town next week with the Barves. Adam needs him

129. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Besides as I read this blog everyday 2 other people thought Zimmerman could be a Gold Glove at 1st and one talked about the 3-6-3 double0play.

130. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Warning track power!!!!Yeah baby

131. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM

TMo now 3-5 with an RBI 2B on top of his 3 run dinger and RBI single.

132. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Tyler Moore just hit a double.

133. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Could use some Henry Aaron, Eddie Mathews right about now.

134. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM

I honestly think that is as far as LaRoche can hit a ball.

135. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:41 AM

To be fair:Amanda Comak‏@acomak If the roof is closed here, Adam LaRoche just hit a two-run homer. Instead he ends the fourth inning with a fly out to deep CF.

136. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Morse with a gigantic HR

137. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Please BW…this game is frustrating enuf

138. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM

A good throw gets Gomez there.

139. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Heck Jeffwx, I'll take Wes Covington at this point.

140. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:45 AM

That change up from Jordan is useless if it's not close.

141. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:47 AM

We got a runner….. Yessssssss!!!!!!!!!!!

142. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Vamos Ramos, dont steal 3rd on me!

143. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:49 AM

How bout Hurricane Hazle I guess named after the real Hurricane Hazel that rammed up the East Coast in 1954.Famous Hurricane forecaster, Grady Norton, died on that one…tough forecast.

144. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Stupid call with a left handed hitter up. Cost them a run.

145. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:52 AM

He helped pick out bodies out of the Mangrove swamps after the 1926 Miami hurricane. That experience changed his life.

146. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Yep. Hurricane Bob Hazel. But I'd prefer Joe Adcock.

147. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:54 AM

That ball fooled me too… I thought that was a fly ball…

148. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Can Span get this to his pull side?

149. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Desi making things happen.

150. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Hell yeah… We will take it!!!!!Make it happen Desi…

151. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM

But I totally was cussing Desi out for running…lol…

152. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Yes…the best offense is often a bad defense

153. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Desi manufactured a run. Good job Desi.

154. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Those braves had a lot of hall of famers. I can understand the frustration

155. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:00 AM

"Can Span get this to his pull side?"If Span can do one thing, it's pull a ball to the right side. Lol

156. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM

How many total bases does Tyler have today ?

157. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I honestly think that the opposing team can take everyone except the pitcher, catcher, first baseman and second baseman off the field on 75% of Dennard's at bats.

158. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Rickie Weeks apparently owns Zim's soul.

159. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Truly am wondering if JZ is hurt…

160. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Why? He's throwing 95.

161. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM

My problem with Jordan is he's thrown 82 pitches through only 5 innings. His command stinks.

162. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM

HARPER HOMER.

163. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM

WAY TO GO BRYCE!!!!

164. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Bryce walkin the walk

165. Drew - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM

717 from Henry Aaron.3 from Rick Schu.

166. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Harper looks legitimately angry. I think he's angry at how bad this team is playing. I love it.

167. Knoxville Nat - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM

NatsJack,If Zimmermann can get through the sixth, do you bring him out for the seventh given his pitch count? I say no.

168. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM

This is funny.

169. BigCat - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM

What is the most games Rendon has played in a pro season? I think he's tired.

170. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I. Am back. Harper looked solid.

171. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:20 AM

It depends on his command, and how many pitches he throws.

172. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:21 AM

LaRoche needs to make a productive out here, at the least.

173. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Walking LaRoche to get to Desmond? Um.

174. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Rendon is in new territory. He may be tired.

175. Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Weird move, there.

176. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Well damn. It worked.

177. JaneB - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:24 AM

The truth is that, even though we are under .500, and even though we keep blowing up, I still believe we can win. Unless we are down 10-1. But otherwise I believe we can win. Even with ALR the way he is.

178. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:25 AM

First pitch couldnt be that good if you top it right to third base. Argggggg.

179. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:26 AM

For a guy who thinks he's a leader, Desmond sure needs to step it up.

180. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Our president's race sucks compared to the sausages. They actually race.

181. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM

MNF you are right . Awful ab by Desmond. Walk ALR gotta make them pay. Buts that's why we are under .500

182. Knoxville Nat - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Steady Eddie,Re your comment about Storen at 9:24, have you seen Billy Hamilton play yet? He is one very exciting player to watch. Saw him in AA last season, the opposing team played their infield in on the grass when he came up to bat in the third inning, nobody on, nobody out. He still beat out an infield hit and promptly stole 2nd base, attempted a steal of 3rd, safe on an E-2, and came home on the same error. Meanwhile the count on the batter was only 1-1. He drove his opponent crazy with even the threat of a steal.

183. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM

If you are going to swing at the first pitch. Hit it square not top it.

184. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM

WERTh the only guy who consistently delivers.

185. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:30 AM

JZimm's curve right now almost looks like a slurve. It looks different to me. I like it.

186. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:31 AM

4 walks is very uncharacteristic by JZimm.

187. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Jordan has finally gotten command of his breaking ball. Even though he's at 98 pitches, I let him come out for the 7th.

188. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I've always hated first pitch swinging. This guy on the ropes and Desi swings at the first pitch…*sigh*

189. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Uh oh, Ryan Mattheus warming up. He hasn't looked good at all so far, back from the DL.

190. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM

OK. I was wrong. But Mattheus hasn't done anything to impress me since he came off the DL.

191. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Sigh.

192. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:39 AM

And we have a RISP if Span doesn't get thrown out.

193. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM

I don't trust Mattheus at all…

194. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Great tag by Weeks but Dennard had no business peeking. That caused the out.

195. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Best runner in baseball.

196. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM

3 pitch see ya for Bernadina. Wow.

197. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM

That little hesitation did it… Drat…

198. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:44 AM

We groove on Denard's speed. Morse would have never stolen a base there. Small ball rules!

199. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:45 AM

It's time for Rendon to step up.

200. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:46 AM

The broken record is back

201. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:46 AM

I thought Vince Coleman and Joe Morgan were great runners, but Denard Span now has ten stolen bases in only 15 attempts. That works out to a .667 percentage. Not too shabby!

202. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Rendon is a great looking ballplayer. He is fine. Anyone who worries about Rendon knows ZERO about baseball.

203. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Has Bernadina just given. Up. He K looking a lot thos season it appears.

204. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Hard to decide which ballpark is worse, Miami's or Milwaukee's… People from Milwaukee probably think it is great….

205. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Can he barrel one up?

206. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM

I think most people are worried about Rendon in the short-term, not the long-term.Good job Anthony. He needed that.

207. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Good job Rendon

208. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Did they give a status update on Gorzy yet?

209. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM

SWEET!!

210. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM

One idiot was saying Rendon had no business being on this team. He is a keeper.

211. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Good job Rendon… Hopefully that will 'get him going….'Ramos running is laughable… But I love it!

212. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Yes. The X rays were negative.

213. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:50 AM

One of our most well-played games in a while, knock on wurst….

214. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Nice step. Strike zone is wide.

215. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Oh great…. Thanks NJ…

216. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:52 AM

8 wins in row! Everyone said that a big win streak was coming.

217. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:53 AM

FP is hilarious….

218. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:54 AM

I'm not sure 3 runs is enough with Mattheus coming in.

219. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Milwaukee almost made the World Series two years ago. This must be so humiliating for them to lose to us at home, but then again, they were cheating. The Milwaukee Cheaters, but of course Selig will go easy on them since they used to be his daughter's team. Braun should be banned for life but he gets a tap on the wrist.

220. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Relievers have to throw strikes.

221. Knoxville Nat - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Have faith NJ, have faith!

222. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Come on Mattheus – make us believe….

223. Knoxville Nat - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Come on Mattheus don't make me look like an idiot.

224. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Great split. That's new for Ryan.

225. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Relievers need to get outs.

226. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Great inning for Ryan Mattheus! Starting to knock the rust off.

227. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Great inning. I'm impressed.

228. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Nice inning for Mattheus.. let's hope it is the start of something

229. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Great job Mattheus…. Great job!

230. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Mattheus steps up!

231. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Werth only goes 3-4. Cut the overpaid bum. #Werthless.

232. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:05 AM

David Wright injured his hammy.

233. JaneB - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Why does Braun get to play but ARod gets banned for life? It's only a rumor that that's what will happen but still…

234. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Ian Desmond had 49 RBI'S at the All Star break. He now has 53.

235. JaneB - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:09 AM

And I want us to get to October and stick a while, while we still have Clip. No one deserves it more. Not even RZimm.

236. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Clippard was due to give up a run eventually. I'm just glad it was a solo shot with a 3 run lead.

237. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:12 AM

It is not July any more so Clippard can give up a run.

238. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:13 AM

DP — let's hope that's ALL he gives up. He's been so lights-out lately…

239. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Now this is the problem. After the homer he follows up with a 4 pitch walk. Makes no sense as hot as he has been.

240. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:15 AM

He was around the edge of the zone on three of the four. Not terrible calls but very close.

241. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Come on Clip…

242. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Close is just that…… close

243. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Clip didnt take a peak over at all.McCatty next spring must make holding runners an emphasis.

244. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Good job Clippard. Solo HR is no big deal, it was going to happen eventually. Walk was the bigger issue.

245. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Good come back.

246. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Whew… I tell ya Clip is something else… Whew…

247. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:21 AM

MNF — just saying he wasn't wild. He wasn't going to get anyone looking so just needed to get swing and miss stuff. Which he got.

248. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Nice. Throwing strikes works every time.

249. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:26 AM

So we get BOTH of the Brewers' ex-Nat lefties.And DSpan gets a seeing-eye double down the LF line. About time we started getting some bounces.

250. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Let's get that run back.

251. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Span looked like me playing tennis with that lob.Ramos nice hit.Now Hairston.

252. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:27 AM

So D Span is 10 for his last 18? Who knew?

253. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:29 AM

See that's a spot where Hairston has to do better. I excuse Hairston becaue Davey has been putting him against righties. But this was in against a lefty in an RBI spot. He has to succeed in those spots.

254. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:30 AM

Unh…. I just think I'm not a fan of Hairston….

255. sjm308 - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Not wodl

256. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Thanks Ricky.

257. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Thought that was a better frame than pitch…Way to go Bryce… Both our Lhbs did something against this LHP….

258. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:34 AM

And Michael Morse went 2 for 4 raising his average to .245. For the floundering Mariners.

259. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:34 AM

I mean 12 hits…. Gosh, I want more than 4 runs…

260. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:34 AM

Rendon hits another ball hard right to somebody. He's been very unlucky.

261. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:34 AM

Rendon hits it hard again right at someone.

262. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Span now .271

263. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:38 AM

MRs B — at least we got four. That great pitching game by Stras in the Dodgers game we had 10 hits and ONE run.

264. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:38 AM

NatsJack's rule for relievers. Throw strikes. The outs will take care of themselves.

265. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:39 AM

You're right, SE…. I'm just so starved for runs… But of course – I'll take the curly W…

266. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Tucked up here boss. Sorry I'm late.

267. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Untuck

268. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:41 AM

And lets not discuss that Dodgers series… I get pissed thinking about how DJ got out-managed…

269. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:41 AM

When Soriano has a good slider going, he's very good. When he can't command the slider, he's…not.He had a great one tonight.

270. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Oh yeah – Curly W!!!! Yes!!!!!

271. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Mrs B — not just out-managed. Please could I have a sac fly, sir?One game, one win at a time.

272. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Here's to Haren keeping the ball down tomorrow… And I hope his cutter is cutting…Glad for the win… See ya tomorrow!

273. sjm308 - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:47 AM

NatsJack – first pitch strikes – first batter outWe do that the game is so much easierI will complain slightly since this was a nice win. How long will Rizzo stay with this bench?? You have 3 men hitting under .180!! I realize that Bernadina can play some defense and if he was the only black hole I could probably live with that. Are you guys telling me we have no one in our minor leagues that can come up and hit .220 or so? I guess this is not the time to make major changes in your clubhouse but I just think we need something to happen. Neither Hairston nor Bernadina even put the ball in play. OK, complaint over and back to hoping against hope that this wild card race will come back our way.Go Nats!!

274. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:08 AM

https://twitter.com/recordsANDradio/status/363511332529635328/photo/1Notice the initials on his cap. GR. For Gavin Rupp.

275. SonnyG10 - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Ray Knight pointed out in the post game show that Ryan Zimmerman looked at the runner while throwing the ball to first base before trying to pick up ALR and this caused his throwing error. Ray said that is a big no-no and a bad habit RZ has gotten into.

276. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM

What?!…Nobody up this morning?

277. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Sonny, I don't know. Seems like RZ looked a runner back on another play, and that was the right thing to do. Seems like he just needs to be able to do both.

278. Nats Fan 204 - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Intersting thoughts expressesed by R. Zimm in the article by Kilgore in WaPo. The article showed the differences between Harper and Zimmerman when it comes to playing baseball for 162 games. The article also mentioned Davey's thoughts on the matter. Undoubetly, stats represent the product but the process by which the stats are achieved is also important. it seems that if a former manager and ballplayer like Ray Knight notices such an obvious problem and such a simple correction, there has to be a reason why Zimm hasn't figured it out.

279. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Haren in July: 4 GS – 1-2 – 23ip – 18 hits – 8ER – 26/6 K/BB – 3.13 ERA – 1.04 WHIP – .214 BAA

280. Nats 128 - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM

281. Drew - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM

The Nats have promoted a bat.Brandon Miller moves from Hagerstown, where he had 26 doubles, 18 homers and 72 RBIs, to Potomac.He knocked in two runs in his debut last night.Drew Ward, the 18-year-old Okie with the GCL Nats, hit his first homer to go with 12 doubles. He's hitting .336.

282. Nats 128 - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Scott Hairston is still hitless in pinch hitting. He once again failed to make contact in a key matchup. Davey is putting him in for RH/LHP and these strikeouts are unacceptable.

283. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Agree nats 128, you gotta go with Lombo for contact.

284. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Barves 8 in a row. Ohhhh boy. Somebody stop them.

285. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM

NF 204, what did Ray say?

286. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Watching defensive plays. Shuck robs a HR and goes over the wall and lands in the stands. Might be play of the year.Then in Camden Yards, old man Raul Ibanez hops to make robbing a HR easy in leftfield. I can't remember the exact situation but I think it was TyMo had the same play to make in LF and didn't make a similar play.BTW, in Camden Yards, Morse with a 423 foot jack to the last row of seating in leftfield to go with his double and a Web Gem catch of a foul ball.

287. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM

288. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM

If it hasn't already been beating to death, I'd like to continue the discussion about Z'man's critique of Harper's t-shirt, as reported by Kilgore. What's the point of that? Is Z'man agitated that a kid unable to legally consume adult beverages is stealing his sunshine, usurping his role as a "leader?" I'm not impressed by his averment that so long as he (and everybody else) is "playing hard every day" everything will be OK. Is that supposed to be read as a statement that not everyone to this point has been "playing hard every day?" Or is it just Z'man looking in the mirror and pretending he is qualified to judge how hard/well he's been playing? What Z'man thinks is "playing hard" isn't necessarily what's best for the team. Rather, it includes accommodations — e.g., playing in, not back; being obsessed with waiting for the perfect pitch — that aren't necessarily team-centric. A team of narcissists focused on their own comfort zone is likely to be 53-59 in the first week of August. It takes only a handful of failed divas to spoil the opera.

289. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Theo, interesting post and good food for thought. I think Zimmerman and other "favored" players get a walk sometimes while players like Werth receive too much criticism.All players will make errors or misplays during a 162 game season but Zimmerman is truly a defensive liability as shown last night. He's the master of defending the bunt and soft grounders and not much else.He does lead the Nats in BA with runners on base so he is very good in the clutch even though he has a high GIDP rate.His comments seem to me to be a little ego driven and I think he has a high self value. Once he moves to 1st base I think he will rise as a star once again. The defensive burden of 3rd base has to be weighing on him.

290. BigCat - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Zim not going to first anytime soon. He is gonna rehab that shoulder all winter and be fine in spring.Besides, who's gonna play 3rd….Rendon, and his warning track power? Rendon is gonna have to get bigger and stronger if he's gonna stick in the bigs.

291. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I agree with BigCat. Why should RZ move from 3B if he can handle it? Chipper did. You need to save 1B for guys who CAN'T handle other positions but are offensive forces. RZ will fix his problems and he won't be diving into home plate.

292. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I do sense a change in approach, though, with RZ. After that homeplate dive, he said, "That's the way I play, that's the way I've always played." Then he saw it has cost him a lot for a long time. He is older–and perhaps wiser, seeing what it takes to keep himself on the field.

293. BigCat - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Harper's T-Shirts etc were a good thing. I think Zims comments were that when you play 162 games you cannot possibly be fired up for everyone. You stay professional and do your job. The old college rah rah stuff goes out the window when you play almost every night for over 5 months. Still, you gotta loves Harpers enthusiasm.

294. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM

So–let's see. Today we root for(1) Nats(2) Red Sox(3) Cards(4) Fillies…(5) Pittsburgh…This is complicated. :)

295. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Going to the P Nats tonight! Purke is on the mound

296. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Stop drinking the Kool Aid, no rehabbing shoulder will improve RZim's range and doubtful his throwing accuracy improves. You've been saying this since April that it would be better in June and we're in August!Big Cat, as I've written a few times this week, Rendon stays at 2nd and you trade for Chase Headley who will be a FA after next year. If San Diego isn't going to sign him long-term, you go for it considering Rizzo can extend him. If not there are other options.The Nats have the worst corner infield range in the Major Leagues. If you move RZim to 1st you likely have a Gold Glover there who can play normal depth and showcase his glove while not relying on his arm. LaRoche isn't going to return to 2012 form as he is on a sharp regression with the glove and bat. +3.5 to a -2.2 in range is a major drop and can longer be dismissed.The Nats defense was supposed to be a positive this year and infield defense is worse in the Majors. Every double going down the line that a replacement could've fielded directly impacts the pitchers and the score of course.Put down the Kool Aid and grasp reality. Ryan Zimmerman and LaRoche don't deserve a "pass" on this one if this team really wants to improve. Don't compound mistakes. Do what needs to be done.

297. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… It's funny how people are forgetting those sloppy losses riddled with throwing errors, mental errors, poor baserunning and poor execution at the plate. May 09, 2013 9:07 AM Even in beating lousy teams, the mistakes are still evident. Good teams don't go to the playoffs when they can't play mistake-free baseball.2 baserunning blunders last night, 1 errant throw, and more poor execution at the plate. Luckily it was the Brewers and not the Tigers.Like I said, keep telling yourself it's OK. I wrote that 3 months ago and things still haven't changed, but 1 thing that drives me crazy is the non-aggressive errors and stupid baserunning by veteran players.

298. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM

299. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Ghost/Big Cat –When someone on your team says, "Everybody! Balls to the Wall!," you embrace it, not pooh-pooh it. You don't say, "Well, it's OK for him, but not needed for some/most/the rest of us." You say, "I'm tickled pink that Bryce is still fiery, is trying to inspire everyone on the team to play better, and wants to be a leader." The longer this el foldo has progressed the more I've looked to see where the division was in the clubhouse. I think I'm starting to see a schism between the Pants-on-Fire crowd, who are In It To Win It every day, and a bunch of guys who confuse carrying a briefcase to work every day with being professional. Who appear to be the leaders right now? Werth (it helps that he's en fuego at the moment) and Harper. Is Z'man unhappy he is no longer FOF? Ryan, I've got some advice for you: pick up a rope and pull.

300. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Ghost, it's possible to have a different opinion without belittling other people's opinions. I agree that unless LaRoche tears it up for two months (and demonstrates that he's in good health), you cut your losses on him. But first basemen are easy to find–you have Tyler Moore, for example, who is a lot cheaper than moving RZ to first base and getting Headley. I think RZ is very motivated to work during the off-season. He sees himself as a third baseman.

301. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

NatsLady, I'm frutstrated because I know you are smarter than this and I'm not giving a pass on something that is just giving RZim more excuses.The off-season will not cure him. It's in his head and it's hurting this team in more ways than just throwing errors as you can see it in the advanced metrics like his range. As you quoted the other day "Another ball past a diving Zimmerman". How's about the balls he can't even react to because he's playing so close. This over-compensation for his poor arm has affected every part of his game except the balls he comes in on.I think the final straw for me was reading Theo's assessment of RZim's comments.

302. BigCat - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I think I've missed the terrible defense from Laroche. Granted, he missed a couple plays that he normally makes, but to call him a defensive liability is absurd. As for Zim, he is still one of the best defensive 3B's in the league. He makes the bunt and slow roller play as well as anyone to ever play. I have not noticed a big drop off in his range. Perhaps with his arm troubles he plays more shallow, which would hinder his range. Bottom line here Ghost is that we have had a miserable year and when the losing starts the negativity comes.

303. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

NatsLady said… I think RZ is very motivated to work during the off-season. He sees himself as a third baseman. I don't give a *&P$(*PO$ if Ryan Zimmerman sees himself as a 3rd baseman. He can't perform at a level well enough and his GM can show him plenty of film and Fangraphs stats to back that up.IMO, no single play in this season has been more impactful on the direction of this team at a critical time than that throwing error to 2nd in the 9th inning vs the Braves as that pushed the Braves up and the Nats down. To me it was as big in this season as Storen's Game 5. A turning point the Nats never recovered from. A demoralizing defeat when the win was there for the taking.RZim's bat is needed but he will never be a better than average 3rd baseman again and it's a shame since he's only 28 years old. There is only 1 viable solution and that is to hand him a 1st baseman's glove in the off-season and prepare him for the reality so you don't blindside him like Storen felt he was when Soriano was signed.

304. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My previous comment leads me to think about what kind of manager the Nats need for 2014, and who should it be. I've never really liked Buck Showalter, who was always a guy who came in, cracked the whip, wore out his welcome and wound up w/ his players mysteriously deaf. Except that the current Buck Showalter seems to have learned to crack the whip and still convince his players that he loves them. (Still outraged that he fired his third base coach for the team's bad performance. Hitting/pitching coach is one thing, third base coach another.)That's the sort of manager they seem to require. Johnson's magical thinking/Mary Poppins style is not working anymore, does not have the whole team pulling together. Not sure who that person is, however. Can we find inspiration from Knorr's moment in the spotlight? Girardi seems to be the "leader in the clubhouse" so far as the posters on this blog are concerned but his most conspicuous skill has been coddling a bunch of very high-paid players. Mattingly seems to be doing something good in LA and if he loses his job for not winning the whole shebang he might be an attractive option. I don't think he's the best tactical manager available (see, Gardenhire) but what this team needs — I think — is someone whose message is, "Row harder, boys!"

305. BigCat - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

A couple weeks ago I stated that the team had no heart. Competitiveness is a hard thing to teach. I went down the list of posistion players and only had a couple guys who you would want in your foxhole when the grenades start gettin lobbed. Harper, Werth, Desi,and Susuki. And then to top it off, you got a 70 year old manager who keeps reminding everyone its his last year and never holds anyone accountable

306. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM

BigCat, when was the last time you saw LaRoche snare a ball on the line? The answer is almost never. His UZR is 2nd to last for all 1st baseman in the Majors as is his Range.He was bad in April and as I commented then I hoped it was just his bad back. He makes the plays that are hit directly at him and he is adept at scooping bad throws on the bag. Other than that, he has self-confessed before that he isn't a great athlete.The stats are there but your eyes should tell you. He missed a ball in the Tigers game as he was holding the runner and still couldn't get a glove on a hot smash over the bag which was a reflex play that almost every 1st baseman makes. Those plays never show up as errors, just a deficiency in UZR and Range ratings. Read Fangraphs.

307. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

BigCat said… As for Zim, he is still one of the best defensive 3B's in the league. He makes the bunt and slow roller play as well as anyone to ever play.I said that. That's always been his bread and butter play but he also plays so far in that he has that advantage to take that play away.To excuse the rest that get by him or the continuation of these poor throws is just that, an excuse.

308. BigCat - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Yes, I recall the shot down the line that he didn't get against the Tigers. His bat is of greater concern. He is in the 4 slot and it seems he hasn't had a big hit in a month.

309. BigCat - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I don't disagree with you on Zim's throwing etc, just think it a little early to hand him the 1B glove. Besides, I'd like a big bopper at 1B. Then you move Laroche to Tracy's spot

310. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Big Cat, you should be thrilled. The one thing you wanted was for Eck to be fired and he was.Now you say the team has "no heart"? There are plenty of players that have heart and you see it in Werth and Harper and Ramos and Desi and Strasburg and Clippard trying to carry this team on their backs.There are others that probably have heart but just lack the ability to show it on the field like Tracy , and Suzuki is entrenched in a bench role.It takes more than a few guys but there's plenty of them with heart & hustle. I think Rendon and Span are trying to figure out their place on this team and the rest I didn't mention you can figure out where the problems are.

311. BigCat - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I'm sure Rizzo is gonna keep a close eye on how Morse finishes up the season. He could be picked up on the cheap. He hit the hell out of the ball when he played first

312. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I hope you don't conduct your business this this kind of condescending attitude, Ghost. I don't need you to tell me if I'm smart or not, and I really don't care if you are frustrated that I don't agree with you. I still don't agree with you.NatsLady, I'm frutstrated because I know you are smarter than this and I'm not giving a pass on something that is just giving RZim more excuses.

313. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Big Cat, RZim is a big bopper bat. #1 clutch performer for the Nats and can't be neutralized by a relief pitcher like Harper.

314. BigCat - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

You will see in the long run that the firing of Eck was a huge plus.

315. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM

BigCat–interesting that you say that. I'm curious why?

316. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM

NatsLady, that's fine and this isn't business. It's fantasy GM baseball. You could certainly be right about RZim having an off-season type of rebirth. It's just a difference of opinion.First of all, I see it clearly on the field and Fangraphs and UZR confirm it. You can go on thinking the off-season will cure Ryan Zimmerman's defensive woes and maybe it will but tell me the last time a player on this type of regression has improved dramatically going into this 9th full season of baseball?By the way, I thought you were a big supporter of UZR and Fangraphs ratings?That is fine and you gave your opinion.

317. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I am a big supporter of fangraphs, but UZR needs at least three years of data, so I take it with a BIG grain of salt. I'd have to see three years of a trend that RZ's range is declining (which it could be, I haven't looked). However, I'm an even bigger supporter of player motivation. I can't read minds, of course. But I think putting RZ at first base, permanently, when he's only 28, would be even more demoralizing than putting Storen, temporarily, as a setup man. (And I don't have a lot of sympathy for Storen.) If RZ is the same next spring as this year, fine, let him go to 1B and get a guy at the deadline. Tell him that–if he doesn't already know. I happen to think he will be physically better (throwing) and if he's a step slower then he will adjust.

318. fast eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Theophilus:You suggested a possible schism between the "fiery" vs. the "professional" factions.I sense a schism between the hitters and pitchers. After his loss in Detroit, Stras commented that "you have to be almost perfect" (due to the lack of hitting). He ranks #93 in run support on a team that is 28th in MLB in runs scored. That has to wear down the pitching staff night after night.

319. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

NatsLady, I don't know if Rizzo can afford to take that chance but I think the bigger motivating factor in Rizzo's decision is that he could keep LaRoche at 1st because of his big contract. I jut think that's the wrong decision for the team. I don't believe in compounding mistakes and making decisions based on contract dollars.This team was built on pitching, defense, athleticism and a good offense. This is why I believe Span will fit in long-term as well as Harper in the corner outfield. It's also why the Nats can't afford a repeat year of the poor corner infield defense they are getting.On LaRoche, I think he is hiding a back injury and just feels like playing it out. Maybe he can come back better as his decline seems more than normal age regression.Ryan Zimmerman though has been on a decline year over year for the past 3 years and while even players in their 30's can improve from one year to the next, you have to wonder if Zimmerman can regain the range he once had that made him a Gold Glover.

320. Nats 128 - Aug 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM

GoSM, you hit the hornets nest when you put down Ryan Zimmerman. He is an untouchable on this blog. If you want to smash him, go over to WAPO.

321. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Nats128, I used Fangraph statistics which are objective data. I really like Ryan Zimmerman but I believe this team will get much better by moving Ryan across the diamond and bringing in a top 3rd baseman via trade.I've mentioned 2 to target: Chase Headley and Kyle Seagar.http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=3b&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

322. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM

128–looked at some of the comments on WaPo. A lot of them are ripping RZ, some are supportive. I don't think RZ (or Davey) did themselves any favors with their remarks. They should have done like Abad did, and just said, "Great shirt, I'm gonna wear mine." Also, I've been plenty critical of RZ. Last summer I wrote an essay speculating that RZ was miffed/jealous of Harper's attention. Then it seemed like he adjusted and contributed a lot during the later months. I didn't like his somersault into home plate. I CERTAINLY didn't like his being satisfied with coming home from St. Louis with a 1-1 record after winning Game 1. I don't think RZ is "untouchable." I do think he is valuable.

323. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Eddie — If there's a schism between the pitchers and the hitters it runs both ways. Some guy with a bat in his hands is probably muttering, "It would be nice if we weren't behind 3-0 in the third before we get thru the batting order the first time, and 5-1 in the fifth — or worse." And Strasburg is as big an offender as any, as he seems to think they sing the Star-Spangled Banner at 2:00 p.m.

324. DWS - Aug 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM

We need people on this team that will state the obvious. And good for them. It shows they're not used to losing.

325. sjm308 - Aug 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I gain great knowledge from both Mark and the comments on here. I take most comments with a grain of salt as I feel Mark and Kilgore and others do this obviously for a living.I also get tickled by how things come in full circle. We had a poster that has mysteriously fanished and one of the people that took great glee in that is now a person who is championing one of that posters biggest moves. That of moving Zimm to first base. Right now, as much as I respect opinions from both NL and Ghost, I am siding with NatsLady on this one. Zimm and others said it would take at least until June to get the shoulder back. He suffered early and yes, he still makes some throws that make you wonder but I think with a full off-season where he will start that off season with more strength then he certainly had last year will make a huge difference. His cat-like reflexes and his abilitiy to charge are still there. If the arm is stronger and he can move back even just a few steps, his range improves and voila!! we have 3rd base covered. Ghost might be right, and NatsLady might be right – that is the great thing about this game.Go Nats!!

326. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Tommy Milone to AAA. I thought he was doing well, but that was last year.Milonehttp://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/03/athletics-option-left-hander-tommy-milone-to-triple-a/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

327. sjm308 - Aug 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM

So, We have Gio, under control for several more years. The A's have a 2nd string catcher, a AAA pitcher and Peacock is struggling with his 3rd team. Damn you Rizzo, what were you thinking?

328. Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM

308 and NatsLady have pretty much said what i would say. Ghost makes some valuable contributions to this blog, but like WODl's dislike of Span, we get that you are down on Zimm and ALR, but the daily dose of it is getting hard to swallow.Personally, I agree that ALR is playing through a bad back, and the 2013 ALR is not the 2012 version, but to say that he hasn't made any sensational plays down the line is not true. I can remember at least two game ending/game saving plays he made.And the Nats are not going to just eat his salary next year. Also, I really disagree that Ryan Zimmerman is going to magically become a Gold Glove first baseman if he ever moves over.. I think like many players before him, Zimm could move over and play an adequate 1B, but it would take hundreds of reps and at least two years of playing there for him to be elite at it. I still don't see it happening before the 2015 season, if at all. Just my baseball stupid opinion.

329. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Peacock is also in AAA, where he seems to be doing OK. No idea whether he will be promoted in September.

330. BigCat - Aug 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM

FYI….Manassas Nats Fans daughter is getting married today. He said it will be all over by 7pm so he can still watch the Nats. Now that is a fan

331. BigCat - Aug 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Dan Haren tonight. We need another gem Danny boy. And remember to be very careful with Weeks. That guy owns us

332. Drew - Aug 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Earlier someone criticized Rendon's "warning track power." Let's cut the rook some slack. Aaron hit 13 homers as a rookie.No, I'm not saying Rendon is Henry Aaron.I'm just saying Rendon's a rook. We don't yet know what he'll become.

333. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Last year there wasn't a huge concern on RZim's defense which made Peric's rants premature. In fact RZim was 10th in the Majors for 3rd baseman and his Range rating was -0.4 and a -0.9 overall. This year he's last in all of MLB in UZR with a -11.2 Range rating and -14.2 overall.Hard to believe any 3rd baseman can be rated lower than Miguel Cabrera and it's happened.