Game 109: Nats at Brewers

Aug 2, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

Throughout the season's first half, there was no more sure thing on the Nationals roster than Jordan Zimmermann, who enjoyed a breakthrough three months to earn his first career All-Star berth and thrust himself into the early conversation for NL Cy Young honors. But then came July, and all of a sudden Zimmermann has looked quite ordinary on the mound; over his last five starts, he's 1-3 with a 7.18 ERA.

The Nationals could certainly use a bounce-back performance from Zimmermann tonight against the Brewers, and the right-hander himself would like nothing more than to deliver a dominant outing in his home state of Wisconsin and give his team a chance to right its ship after a terrible series in Detroit to begin the week.

The Brewers, playing without the suspended Ryan Braun, send a familiar face to the mound tonight in Tom Gorzelanny. The former Nats reliever has taken over starting duties in Milwaukee and has pitched well, going 2-4 with a 2.83 ERA.

I'm not in Milwaukee for the series, but please enjoy the conversation as always here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MILWAUKEE BREWERS
Where: Miller Park
Gametime: 8:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 182
Weather: Partly cloudy, 76 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to CF

LF Bryce Harper
2B Anthony Rendon

1. Tcostant - Aug 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM

To bad Zimmermann's bad karma started when he said "no mas" to playing in the All-Star game.

2. SonnyG10 - Aug 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM

JZimm due for a big bounce back. I look for a quality win tonight. Go Zimnn, GYFNG!!!

3. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 1mNew t-shirt in the #nats clubhouse courtesy of Bryce Harper. It says "To the last minute, to the last second, to the last man. We fight."I love this kid.

4. Kirbs - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Let see, last years Nats vs this year…Jackson, W. Lannan, ND and W,…..hopefully we break the trend.

5. Secret wasian man - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I would like to see Tyler More up here to play first for ALR against LHP. ALR good for 2 ks tonight. Should get 3 this weekend. Unless we are reaaaaaALLY BAD.

6. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Gorzelanny is going to be a tough matchup for us because we can't hit lefties. He's going to be especially hard on Harper.

7. John C. - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised that all three lefties (Harper, LaRoche, Span) are in the lineup tonight. Of course, Hairston hasn't exactly pushed very hard for playing time so far (2 for 17 with one walk and 7 K's as a Nat).To the last minute, to the last second!

8. waddu eye no - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM

"Zimmermann's bad karma"my karma ran over my dogmagyfng

9. baseballswami - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

You know, I have heard people refer to JZ " refusing" to pitch in the ASG. I was under the impression that the Nats organization, upon advice from the trainers, were requesting he not pitch so that his neck could heal. I see his issues partly stemming from too much extra rest– too strong, and out of routines– trouble with " feel" pitches. He has had that issue in the past. I don't see that he is back on any kind of a regular routine yet, and there have been days off and so- ??? We always struggle against soft tossing lefties so the Lannans and Gorzos of this world keep their SP jobs. Hope the Wisconsin factor clicks into place for JZ. Whole hometown will probably shut down for the night.

10. sjm308 - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Have to love Harper! Not just the slogan but the fact that he bought the t-shirt in. Just a class act.Very interesting reading in the last few posts. I had no idea that both our corner guys rated so low in the sabermetric areas and while I have a hard time with stats, I have to believe they have merit. My question is – does Rizzo value them as much as his scouting eye and scouting staff?Thanks in advanceGo Nats!!

11. baseballswami - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Oh– and. Free Tyler Moore!!!!

12. sjm308 - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Next question – How long do you think Davey/Rizzo stay with Rendon if he continues to struggle? I realize Espinosa is not setting the world on fire in Syracuse but will they wait until Sept.? We are still mathematically in this race and I would hope everyone is on the same page as far as putting the best lineup out there for each game. If you guys think that is Rendon I will certainly not question that.

13. SCNatsFan - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Hope we smoke Gorzo tonight

14. karlkolchak - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM

15. Section 222 - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I still think Rendon is better than Espi. I also think that ALR is better than Moore, at least until September when he can be brought up without having to DL ALR and ALR can hit against righties if Moore isn't setting the world on fire. I wish we could find a replacement for Tracy, though I recognize that doing so isn't going to turn the season around.I'm very worried about what happens when TJordan is shut down, and I don't expect that Haren will continue to pitch well. Time will tell.

16. John C. - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM

sjm – fielding stats are, to be charitable, more art and guesswork than science. They look authoritative (oooh, numbers! it must be precise!) but even the sabremetric wizards will tell you that the fielding stats need to be looked at over a three year period before you can really draw conclusions.For the most part they are cited by those whose arguments they seem to support, and dismissed by those whose arguments they contradict.

17. John C. - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM

And before you bench Rendon, remember that after a brief exciting flurry, Espinosa has turned back into, well, Espinosa. He is OPS'ing .558 in AAA (blech).

18. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Defensive sabremetric stats are still a work in progress at best. Even Brian Kenny, the king of all that stuff, admits that. Having said that, the eye test tends to support that ALR and Zim have diminished range.

19. NatsLady - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I read that MLB teams have a system like Pitch f/x for defense but are reluctant to release the information. Pitch f/x was never expected to take off the way it has, becoming a resource for pundits, bloggers and other teams. They don't want defense f/x to go the same route. A shame, really. The more information fans have, the higher the level of interest, IMO.

20. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM

How would defense f/x even work? There's an established strike zone so that makes sense. Seems like it'd be harder to apply that to defense.

21. Nats106 - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM

karlkolchak said… "To the last minute, to the last second, to the last man. We fight."- Gen. George Custer Maybe not the right guy to quote when judging the final result.

22. sjm308 - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Thanks JohnC and I hope you guys don't hold it against this old fan if I stay with my eye test. I still feel Span is the real deal in CF and I will not believe the sabermetrics that tell me something different. They can't measure his jump and the way he glides.I am not suggesting Espinosa, I just worry about Rendon digging a huge hole in his first season. He won't be the first rookie to struggle and the example I will use is Willie Mays. He was actually begging Leo Doroucher to send him down. Leo was pretty smart though and Willie figured it out. Couple of stats to promote Willie as one of the best if not the best ballplayer ever.'1. Only player to hit a homerun in EVERY inning from the 1st to the 16th! 2. Hit 3 triples in one game!3. Lead the NL in Home Runs and in Stolen Bases 4 times and they were all in different years.I will stop there. Guess who is reading a book about Willie??

23. hiramhover - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM

As I understand it, defense f/x is an electronic system for coding the location and type of balls in play. The defensive metrics now rely on similar data plotted by human observers. This automates the process and makes it more precise and accurate. It doesnt make judgments about who should have got the ball, assign errors, etc.

24. A DC Wonk - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM

New t-shirt in the #nats clubhouse courtesy of Bryce Harper. It says "To the last minute, to the last second, to the last man. We fight."Reminds me of when Tug McGraw started "You Gotta Believe" with the 1973 NY Mets.On Aug 1 of that year, they were 13 games under .500, and 10.5 games out.They ended up making it to Game 7 of the WS.

25. A DC Wonk - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Re: Willie MaysHe also hit 660 HR's by mostly playing in two parks:Polo Fields (where it was 480' to dead center) (yes, you read that right — 480')And Candlestick Park.(While Hank Aaron had the benefit of "moving the fences in" park).(OTOH, look at the game logs — he did start hitless in his first three games, and slumped for his first 15 — but it looks like Mays pretty much "figured it out" before he played his 20th game.)

26. NatsLady - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Here is a write-up. Not available to the public. There is also Trackman, which is satellite-based version of pitch f/x, which I guess you could purchase if you had the inclination.field f/xhttp://www.sportvision.com/baseball/fieldfx

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Wonk, I love it!

28. JD - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM

SjmYou may not be able to measure the jump and glide but you can certainly measure how many balls he gets to and where the balls are that he does or does not get to.

29. JD - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Why is Random hitting 2nd?

30. hiramhover - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Because he was randomly assigned?

31. Steady Eddie - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Nats 106 — that quote has nothing to do with Custer — it's a line from the movie "Red Tails." KK can't stop being a hater even when the immediate topic isn't baseball.

32. do1teach1 - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM

August baseball. Here goes: either the best two months in DC baseball history, or the worst two.

33. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I've been thinking. Assuming no major run is coming, I still think this is a good season for our guys. It's a learning experience. You can't assume anything. You have to go out there and play your asses off for 162 games, like they did last year. I think they'll learn from this season and that fire we saw last year will be back next year. Consider it a learning curve for our young guys (and even a guy like Zim, who isn't young, but who hasn't been in this situation before).

34. baseballswami - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:10 PM

When you start talking " worst two months in Nats history", there is a LOT of competition for that dubious honor. I really hope this next two months is not in that conversation.

35. baseballswami - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Will Nieves is still playing!!! On TV- a DBack. Wow. I really would rather have the Cards and Cincy, but of course, the powers that be always think we want to watch AL baseball, especially the Sox or Yanks. Got to pass some time until the Nats.

36. NatsLady - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Bronson Arroyo already gave up 4 runs in the 1st inning and Cincy's bullpen is up. You ain't missing anything, swami.Report on Goodwin. Brian Goodwinhttp://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/08/harrisburg_senators_place_cf_b.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

37. A DC Wonk - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:28 PM

DP at 7:09 — I hear you. Good comment. I've been having this feeling, too. Perhaps last year came too easy for them. If any part of that is true to _any_ extent — they're not going to make that mistake next year.

38. A DC Wonk - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM

hiramhover said… Because he was randomly assigned?Hey! I just got that.Nice.

39. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I'm not sure I saw it discussed, but did anybody read the piece on Espi today in the Washington Post? Very candid and very interesting.

40. A DC Wonk - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM

DP, yes, I read it. Very informative. (Reading that and the Storen story made me remember just how young are guys are)After reading it, I realize he wasn't being stubborn, it was that he lost confidence and kept falling back to bad habits.Short summary from what I can remember: he needed to swing slightly later, which helps him compact his swing. But when he was late for fastballs, he'd fall back to swinging earlier, re-creating the loopy long swing.Sounds like a smart hitting coach down there with him, btw.I wish him the best. Having two great 2b-man would be a nice "problem" to have.

41. David Proctor - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM

First two ABs for Tyler Moore today: RBI single, 3 run home run.

42. NatsLady - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Kevin Brown ‏@kevinnbrown 2mFirst two at-bats for @T_Mo12 tonight: RBI single, three-run homer. In 19 games since being optioned: .408/.506/.704, 5 HR, 22 RBI. #Nats

43. sjm308 - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM

DP – not sure which post I put that in but I also was intrigued with the Espinosa article. I felt it was great that the Post sent a writer up there and I felt it was good reporting as well. Lots of tough questions and to me, the quote of the article was "I am playing for 30 teams". Espinosa is not a dummy. He realizes by playing both SS and 2nd he is able to showcase himself not just for the Nats. I am hoping he is with us soon.Go Nats!!

44. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I hate rooting for the Fillies. Their baby pitcher looks good, though. And back to back HRs against Medlin.

45. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Call up T Man!

46. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Free Tyler Moore.

47. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Thanks, DP, that was funny.

48. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Medlen sure has come back to Earth. I remember when people were comparing him to all-time greats based off half a season.

49. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

+Infinity FREE T-MO (he has to be better on the bench than what we have)BTW.. I heart Wonk and SJM308! Thanks for keeping it positive and factual (and others included as well)Love Bryce on not giving up. GYFNG! LETS GO NATS!!!

50. Candide - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Supposed to be 8:10 start. Why am I watching an interview with Rizzo at 8:17?

51. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Candide.. Robin Yount Celeberation at MIL and Hank Aaron in the park for this, so forgive them.

52. DJB - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I would say I'm moderately nervous about the franchise going forward. I like the starting pitching, but don't know whether our young guns are being worn down by lack of run support. LaRoche and Span signings were clearly busts, but short-term deals. I feel we have a Ryan Howard problem with Ryan Zimm's long-term contract. We need more power in the lineup. Not fond at all of signing Rizzo as both GM and President of Baseball Operations. I would like to have emulated the Cards system and integrated a stats-based management team. The understanding of what succeeds in baseball is changing. I think offense is relatively more important now because of the reduction in runs throughout the league. A prime example are the Orioles. We have set ourselves up to be about a .500 team for the next several years. Worse, I think the Lerners are fine with that.

53. Candide - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Thanks, MicheleS. Wouldn't kill anyone on MASN to say so, would it?

54. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Tyler Moore just hit another Grand Slam. So he's 3/3 with 8 RBI, a 3 run homer and a Grand Slam tonight. He's been UNSTOPPABLE.

55. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I have seen enough of Anthony Rendon. Not sure where to go from here.

56. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Bryce went through this last year. Just have to be patient. We don't have many other options.

57. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Polo Grounds, Wonk….but it was real short down the line.and they didn't play polo below Coogan's Bluff. The NY Baseball Giants played on the North end of Central Park in a field called the Polo Grounds. They brought the name with them when they moved to Harlem.

58. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Nats Jack you beat me too it. I booted up to say that Rendon has worn out his welcome and saw your post. At least Danny swings.

59. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Here's to JZimm having a better night…*sigh* Leadoff double.. Lets strand him!Go Nats!

60. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

NJ, more youth…The minor leagues help a player develop. He hasn't the chance.But why keep putting the kid 2nd and the Scare Crow cleanup.

61. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM

More needs to be up here playing first base against lefties. LaRoche cant hit.

62. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Rendon needs to adjust… I remember when Harp went thru this… Desi too…Hopefully, he will get it going…

63. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I don't care for the line up… But I definitely wouldn't have ARen batting 2nd right now…

64. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Bryce was 19. Rendon is 23.And this has been going on for 6 weeks.

65. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:40 AM

yes, the 73 Mets won 83 games and made it all the way to WS. But it was the playoffs where Met shortstop had fistacuffs with Big Pete Rose (compared to Harrlelson, but a good guy. He signed a picture of him for me when I was 13 year, saying Jeff, Believe in yourself. Hard to do, but insightful thought in 1974)

66. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM

But wouldn't a little more seasoning down on the farm help Rendon ?I think Bryce spent more time down there than Antony

67. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM

NatsJack.. WHAT IS UP WITH JZ??

68. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM

JZimm can't command his slider. That's been the biggest issue during his slump. He just threw 3 sliders in a row and none of them were close. And when he does get it over, it's getting too much plate.

69. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I don't have a problem with sending Anthony back down, I'm just not sure we have any better options. Is anyone comfortable with Lombardozzi as the everyday 2B?

70. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

If we score more than 1 run, I think we give it a moral victory

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I'm worried about Jordan Z…

72. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Yep, It's the slider that JZIM can't command.

73. karlkolchak - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Steady Eddie – not a hater, just a realist. Quotes like that one are a mark of desperation–a just plain silly to boot.

74. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Kilgore said.. JZ doing a lot of shoulder shaking.. ummmm..

75. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM

David. It's why I said "Not sure where we go from here".

76. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM

agreed DP, would like to see him learn a bit more though.i just get concerned when NJ gets concerned. NJ, does Rendon need to recognize off speeds better

77. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Quotes like what?

78. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Even if he's with the Crew hate to see that happen to Gorzy.

79. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Hope Gorzelanny is okay.

80. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Ouch… Don't like pitchers leaving becuz of injuries…

81. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Crap never want to see a guy hurt. I hope Gorzo is okay

82. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

He's gone. Werth liner off Gorzy's arm/hand knocks Forzy out. Yikes.

83. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Thats crazy what happened on that comebacker

84. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Rendon has lost his ability to turn on an inside fast ball.He's taken that pitch for called strike three an awful lot lately.

85. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Dang – I've always liked Gorzy… I had hope that he and Burnett would have been kept…Hope all is okay with him!

86. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Thanks NJ, will look for it.

87. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Larouche looks darn lost. Time for Tyler Moore

88. paul brandt - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:59 AM

damn, gorzo! hope he is ok, always liked him as a middle and long guy but why he is a starter? imagine they just need one.

89. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Rendon has taken way to many called strike three's.

90. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:01 AM

NJ (at your 9pm post) – that's how I feel about Ryan Z…

91. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

With Ryan Z, he's taken way to many called strike one's right down the middle.

92. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

This pitcher for the Brewers is going to put everybody to sleep.

93. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Span looking.

94. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Did MASN just play the Comcast Sports Net music going to commercial?

95. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Was watching at a bar when Morse cracked a double in the gap in his game the Nats 1st baseman hit a weak liner to the 2nd baseman.Free Michael Morse

96. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM

This whole team's inability to recognize strikes is wearing me out.

97. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I know this never happens, but why not have the hitters face live pitching? I mean, the pitchers throw bullpen sessions anyway, right? Why not just throw those but with batters facing off across from you. Is there a reason that never happens?

98. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Simultaneous co9mbustion as the Braves go up 6-2

99. sjm308 - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I asked about Rendon earlier today – I just don't see how they can stay with what I am seeing much longer. Not just for our club but for the kids psyche.MichelleS I rarely post during games but what the heck and I found your nice comment – thank you!!(Justin's on Wed??)OK, I will head back to the TV but one more notice is the batting averages of the first few Brewers compared to our lads. Does everyone hit better than we do? OuchGo Nats!! Zimmnn will bounce back this inning and ditch the slider

100. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:11 AM

KK — you were mocking Bryce for showing some fire. That's what a hater does. This is not about the Nats' realistic prospects for what's left of this season. I expect little of them at this point and have only the faintest hope for much more. That quote was about Bryce trying to stir things up for the better. Only a hater mocks that, as you did.

101. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Who cares about the Braves? If you want to scoreboard watch, watch the Reds. They're losing at least.

102. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Come on Ryan… The first throw wasn't really any better either….

103. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Oh Ryan…1B is in your future.

104. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Zimmerman on cue costs his pitchers again. Move him to 1st now. Past being acceptable.

105. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Well at least the E didn't cost us anything

106. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:14 AM

RZimm (sigh). OK, but for LaRoche that would have gone in the dugout. Didn't cost much. JZ got the pitcher easily…

107. ExposedinDC - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:16 AM

What's funny is, when RZ makes a good throw, I'm surprised….when he sails one, I am not surprised at all.

108. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I think Ryan can be a gold glove 1B. He can pick balls with the best of them. He has great range (the only reason he doesn't this year is because he can't throw). The 3-4-3 double plays will be an adventure but still. Obviously, it'll take some adjustment, but he can still be a very valuable player. At 3B, he's killing us right now though.

109. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:23 AM

So am I the only one that thinks this 30 year old AAA retread is going to shut down the Nats?

110. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Natslady 0 It cost a lot. Instead of the leadoff being the pitcher its Weeks

111. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Oh boy. Storen comes in leading 5-3, gives up two ground ball singles ad throws away a Billy Hamilton sac bunt for a run, then a ground out for a run. Too much like his Nats appearances (tho I don't recall him making errors too).At least he K'd Ryan Ludwick.

112. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM

This team is just awful in SOOOOOOOOO many ways.

113. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM

David – show you know baseball. Its a 3-6-3 double0play

114. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Yes, I'm bad with the numbers. I always get them confused. Sorry. I don't think that makes me less knowledgeable about baseball.

115. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:27 AM

give me Lombo and Bernie. I am just sick sick sick of Span and Rendon

116. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Figaro has given up 13 hrs in 58 innings. We are pretty good at solos.

117. paul brandt - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I don't like to say this but Rzim = Steve Sax, its all mental…tough to watch, hope he can get over it.

118. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:31 AM

woo hoo, in 2010, he gave up 39 hrs in 124 innings at Toledo..Hot Dog!

119. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Here's what I don't get. Zim had his share of throwing errors last year, but it was never this bad. Did his shoulder surgery actually make his throwing WORSE? Am I missing something?

120. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I can't read…that was 39 walks ;(

121. hiramhover - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM

This is not one of JZimm's best nights, but it would be more than good enough–if his offense would score some f@*!ing runs, that is.

122. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:33 AM

hit hard!!!!

123. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Jason going yard

124. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Amazing we can't get to this journeyman reliever. Come ON, guys!!!!

125. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM

David and me watching different scores shouldnt require your 9:11PM comment.

126. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Born in Milwaukee in 1947 Left at the age of 2 1/2 when my parents moved to Falls Church. Have very fond memories of visiting my grandparents every summer and going to County Stadium and watching the Braves during their heyday.

127. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM

A two out single!!!!

128. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I hope Chipper comes into town next week with the Barves. Adam needs him

129. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Besides as I read this blog everyday 2 other people thought Zimmerman could be a Gold Glove at 1st and one talked about the 3-6-3 double0play.

130. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Warning track power!!!!Yeah baby

131. Steady Eddie - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM

TMo now 3-5 with an RBI 2B on top of his 3 run dinger and RBI single.

132. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Tyler Moore just hit a double.

133. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Could use some Henry Aaron, Eddie Mathews right about now.

134. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM

I honestly think that is as far as LaRoche can hit a ball.

135. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:41 AM

To be fair:Amanda Comak‏@acomak If the roof is closed here, Adam LaRoche just hit a two-run homer. Instead he ends the fourth inning with a fly out to deep CF.

136. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Morse with a gigantic HR

137. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Please BW…this game is frustrating enuf

138. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM

A good throw gets Gomez there.

139. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Heck Jeffwx, I'll take Wes Covington at this point.

140. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:45 AM

That change up from Jordan is useless if it's not close.

141. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:47 AM

We got a runner….. Yessssssss!!!!!!!!!!!

142. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Vamos Ramos, dont steal 3rd on me!

143. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:49 AM

How bout Hurricane Hazle I guess named after the real Hurricane Hazel that rammed up the East Coast in 1954.Famous Hurricane forecaster, Grady Norton, died on that one…tough forecast.

144. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Stupid call with a left handed hitter up. Cost them a run.

145. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:52 AM

He helped pick out bodies out of the Mangrove swamps after the 1926 Miami hurricane. That experience changed his life.

146. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Yep. Hurricane Bob Hazel. But I'd prefer Joe Adcock.

147. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:54 AM

That ball fooled me too… I thought that was a fly ball…

148. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Can Span get this to his pull side?

149. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Desi making things happen.

150. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Hell yeah… We will take it!!!!!Make it happen Desi…

151. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM

But I totally was cussing Desi out for running…lol…

152. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Yes…the best offense is often a bad defense

153. Baseball Warrior - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Desi manufactured a run. Good job Desi.

154. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Those braves had a lot of hall of famers. I can understand the frustration

155. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:00 AM

"Can Span get this to his pull side?"If Span can do one thing, it's pull a ball to the right side. Lol

156. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM

How many total bases does Tyler have today ?

157. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I honestly think that the opposing team can take everyone except the pitcher, catcher, first baseman and second baseman off the field on 75% of Dennard's at bats.

158. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Rickie Weeks apparently owns Zim's soul.

159. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Truly am wondering if JZ is hurt…

160. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Why? He's throwing 95.

161. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM

My problem with Jordan is he's thrown 82 pitches through only 5 innings. His command stinks.

162. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM

HARPER HOMER.

163. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM

WAY TO GO BRYCE!!!!

164. jeffwx - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Bryce walkin the walk

165. Drew - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM

717 from Henry Aaron.3 from Rick Schu.

166. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Harper looks legitimately angry. I think he's angry at how bad this team is playing. I love it.

167. Knoxville Nat - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM

NatsJack,If Zimmermann can get through the sixth, do you bring him out for the seventh given his pitch count? I say no.

168. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM

This is funny.

169. BigCat - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM

What is the most games Rendon has played in a pro season? I think he's tired.

170. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I. Am back. Harper looked solid.

171. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:20 AM

It depends on his command, and how many pitches he throws.

172. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:21 AM

LaRoche needs to make a productive out here, at the least.

173. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Walking LaRoche to get to Desmond? Um.

174. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Rendon is in new territory. He may be tired.

175. Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Weird move, there.

176. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Well damn. It worked.

177. JaneB - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:24 AM

The truth is that, even though we are under .500, and even though we keep blowing up, I still believe we can win. Unless we are down 10-1. But otherwise I believe we can win. Even with ALR the way he is.

178. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:25 AM

First pitch couldnt be that good if you top it right to third base. Argggggg.

179. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:26 AM

For a guy who thinks he's a leader, Desmond sure needs to step it up.

180. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Our president's race sucks compared to the sausages. They actually race.

181. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM

MNF you are right . Awful ab by Desmond. Walk ALR gotta make them pay. Buts that's why we are under .500

182. Knoxville Nat - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Steady Eddie,Re your comment about Storen at 9:24, have you seen Billy Hamilton play yet? He is one very exciting player to watch. Saw him in AA last season, the opposing team played their infield in on the grass when he came up to bat in the third inning, nobody on, nobody out. He still beat out an infield hit and promptly stole 2nd base, attempted a steal of 3rd, safe on an E-2, and came home on the same error. Meanwhile the count on the batter was only 1-1. He drove his opponent crazy with even the threat of a steal.

183. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM

If you are going to swing at the first pitch. Hit it square not top it.

184. Secret wasian man - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM

WERTh the only guy who consistently delivers.

185. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:30 AM

JZimm's curve right now almost looks like a slurve. It looks different to me. I like it.

186. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:31 AM

4 walks is very uncharacteristic by JZimm.

187. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Jordan has finally gotten command of his breaking ball. Even though he's at 98 pitches, I let him come out for the 7th.

188. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I've always hated first pitch swinging. This guy on the ropes and Desi swings at the first pitch…*sigh*

189. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Uh oh, Ryan Mattheus warming up. He hasn't looked good at all so far, back from the DL.

190. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM

OK. I was wrong. But Mattheus hasn't done anything to impress me since he came off the DL.

191. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Sigh.

192. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:39 AM

And we have a RISP if Span doesn't get thrown out.

193. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM

I don't trust Mattheus at all…

194. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Great tag by Weeks but Dennard had no business peeking. That caused the out.

195. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Best runner in baseball.

196. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM

3 pitch see ya for Bernadina. Wow.

197. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM

That little hesitation did it… Drat…

198. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:44 AM

We groove on Denard's speed. Morse would have never stolen a base there. Small ball rules!

199. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:45 AM

It's time for Rendon to step up.