Aug 2, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Throughout the season's first half, there was no more sure thing on the Nationals roster than Jordan Zimmermann, who enjoyed a breakthrough three months to earn his first career All-Star berth and thrust himself into the early conversation for NL Cy Young honors. But then came July, and all of a sudden Zimmermann has looked quite ordinary on the mound; over his last five starts, he's 1-3 with a 7.18 ERA.
The Nationals could certainly use a bounce-back performance from Zimmermann tonight against the Brewers, and the right-hander himself would like nothing more than to deliver a dominant outing in his home state of Wisconsin and give his team a chance to right its ship after a terrible series in Detroit to begin the week.
The Brewers, playing without the suspended Ryan Braun, send a familiar face to the mound tonight in Tom Gorzelanny. The former Nats reliever has taken over starting duties in Milwaukee and has pitched well, going 2-4 with a 2.83 ERA.
I'm not in Milwaukee for the series, but please enjoy the conversation as always here…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MILWAUKEE BREWERS
Where: Miller Park
Gametime: 8:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 182
Weather: Partly cloudy, 76 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to CF
LF Bryce Harper
2B Anthony Rendon
3B Ryan Zimmerman
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats fall to Braves, extend losing skid to six
- Nats fume at Simmons for injuring Escobar
- Cole debuting Tuesday in place of Scherzer
- Rendon scratched from minor league rehab game
- Marlins DFA former big free agent signing
- Nats hope lineup tweak will spark offense
- Cedeno on the move again, one week after Nats traded him
- State of the Nats: Looking up in the standings
- When will slow-developing bats come around?
- At 7-12, Nationals still searching for answers