Aug 2, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
There's no one reason the Nationals find themselves where they do right now, four games under .500 entering a weekend series in Milwaukee. And there's no one player most responsible for this disappointing season.
But some players have been more disappointing than others, and Adam LaRoche ranks high on that list.
A crucial part of last season's NL East championship lineup, LaRoche was brought back over the winter under the premise that his presence was too vital to this club for the next two years to let him sign elsewhere. Mike Rizzo waited out LaRoche, who was seeking three guaranteed years, then finally inked him to a two-year, $24 million deal that includes a $15 million mutual option for 2015.
The end result — or, at least, the result through the first four months of this season — hasn't come close to what Rizzo and theRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hit the road to face Braves
- Zimmerman passes first test at first base
- Rendon reflects on first full pro season
- Giants lose Hunter Pence to significant injury
- Scherzer "happy" with first start of spring
- Braves' starter to see Dr. James Andrews about injury
- New addition scratched from Nationals debut
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back