Aug 2, 2013, 1:16 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Updated at 9:53 p.m.
By Mark Zuckerman
One day after Mike Rizzo displayed a show of confidence in his struggling team, electing not to make any changes at the July 31 trade deadline, Nationals ownership decided to display its own show of confidence in its general manager.
The Nationals announced Thursday night Rizzo has signed a long-term contract, with a promotion included. Rizzo now becomes the club’s president of baseball operations in addition to GM.
Upon purchasing the Nationals, Mike Rizzo was our first hire and he has performed brilliantly,” managing principal owner Ted Lerner said in a statement released by the team. “We started with an idea about how baseball teams should be built, and he translated it into a reality far faster than many could have imagined. He knows the game, the players and is a true professional. Under his direct leadership, the Nationals have become one of the most exciting and respected young teams in baseball.”
Rizzo, who initially was hired by the Nationals in July 2006 to serve as assistant GM under Jim Bowden, took over top duties in 2009 after Bowden resigned, inheriting a franchise coming off a 102-loss season and with a barren farm system. Three years later, Rizzo helped build a 98-win division champion, one built largely through the draft and several trades for young players with long-term club control.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele