Aug 6, 2013, 4:36 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
You could point to Stephen Strasburg’s inability to hold a runner on first base, a recurring problem that led to an early run. You could point to Tyler Clippard’s rare meatball of a changeup to Justin Upton in the eighth, a waist-high pitch that landed in the bleachers. And you absolutely could point to the Nationals’ continued woes at the plate with runners in scoring position, which left the crowd of 33,002 in a state of complete exasperation Monday night.
At this point, though, it really doesn’t matter how the Nationals lose games. It only matters that they continue to lose games, digging themselves into a hole that grows with each passing day at a time when they can’t afford to fall any deeper into the abyss.
“Two months left, and we’re 13 games back,” Clippard said with a sigh.
Not to nitpick, but the deficit actually is 13 1/2 games now after Monday’s 3-2 loss to the Braves, the latest in a long line of agonizing losses suffered by the Nationals this season.
“I mean, that’s baseball,” manager Davey Johnson said. “But boy, we needed that one.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss