Game 113: Braves at Nats

Aug 6, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

The last time Gio Gonzalez took the mound for the Nationals, the results were … well, they weren't pretty. Gonzalez became only the second pitcher in Nats history to give up 10 runs in a start, matching the illustrious Jason Simontacchi for that dubious mark. Was that a mere blip on the radar or cause for action concern? We'll find out this evening.

We'll also find out if the Nationals can produce at least a little bit in key situations at the plate. They went 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position last night, the latest frustrating offensive showing in a season chock-full of them, but Davey Johnson has a new twist tonight: Ryan Zimmerman is batting second for the first time in his career, with Bryce Harper leading off and Jayson Werth hitting third. As Davey put it: "I was throwing things up against the wall, and this one stuck."

Julio Teheran starts for the Braves, seeking their 12th straight win and a 14 1/2-game lead in the NL East. The Nats have had some success against the right-hander this season, scoring nine runs on 23 hits in 18 innings over three head-to-head encounters.

There is a threat of rain later this evening, but the forecast shows it should stay dry until about 9 p.m. Check back for updates…

ATLANTA BRAVES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB Network (outside D.C. market), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 89
Weather: Chance of storms, 75 degrees, Wind 9 mph RF to LF

LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:30 AM

SWM you and I dont always agree, but ALR was very selfish swing at one was inside thing grand slam. No wsy could elevate that pitch.

2. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:31 AM

MNF wow you said it. That's selfish baseball. I HAVE HAD IT WITH ALR. he is terrible.

3. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I'm not even going to ask why Justin Upton was on first with a single, instead of a tattoo of a baseball on his ribs. Oooops.

4. Candide - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:32 AM

If a team gets lots of hits with RISP, they're a bunch of "clutch hitters."What do you call a team that goes 0-for the night, game after game?

5. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Id rather get him a train ticket out of town.

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Secret wasian man said… STOP THINKING GRAND SLAM. Get the tying run in. And FP making excuses for him. The more I watch this bunch the more I realize how stupid they all are. August 06, 2013 9:28 PM No outs or 1 out you are driving the ball. 2 outs you have to make a good line drive swing.Just a pathetic approach by a Veteran player. You have to think management because he needs to be pushed back in the lineup. Screw this Lefty Righty stuff and get hitters stacked.Just another peg on the board of poor at-bats in key situations in Game 113.

7. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Braves 108 pitches 31 batters. 3.48

8. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:34 AM

CANDIDE the answer is CHOKERS>

9. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:35 AM

It's not selfish. It's a bad decision, but it's the opposite of selfish. He's trying to help the team SO HARD that he's thinking like Captain Kirk (which is a bad idea). You can't play this game better by trying harder.

10. Candide - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM

SWM, I didn't want to use that word.

11. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Just like you can't make people understand you by posting in boldface.

12. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Who is the Braves GM?

13. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I disagree. He is thinking I have to win it. He doesnt have to win it. It is responsibilty to move the line.Swinging at a pitch way inside that you cannot possibly elivateis not doing a thing for the team.

14. SCNatsFan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Well at least we know Eck wasn't the problem.Time to look at little higher. Does anyone on this team even look like they are trying anymore? Werth? Harper?

15. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Frank Wren, Cat.

16. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Frank Wren

17. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I don't think Adam was being selfish.,. Think he was trying to be a hero…But I don't like any batter swinging on a 2-0 pitch…

18. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:40 AM

And I think McCann is a testicle… Talking trash behind the ump is so hilarious to me… He waited for Joe West to get in front of him before he started talking trash to Bryce…

19. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Desmond now has 5 RBI's over the last 32 games. Everybody on this team is pressing with poor results, every one of them at different times.Can't get a string of hits against a good team.Period.

20. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Span swings at Ball 4. He hates walking. (sarcasm)

21. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM

The next manager to come in will have some major work to do…. Gotta get rid of the hitting mentality that we have…Its a shame becuz DJ can't seem to get nothing from his players….I mean they look like they don't know the fundamentals sometimes….

22. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I have hated the Braves since at least 1982, for exactly this. It never gets easier. I hate these guys.

23. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM

At least Davey made no mistakes tonight unless you question his lineup.

24. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Kimbrel for the 9th. Wonderful.

25. Unknown - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Tired of the umps tilting the game in the Braves favor.

26. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Team is totally pressing….

27. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Well. at least we know Eck wasn't the problem.Most of us knew that all along.

28. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:46 AM

If we lose tonight, it will be becuz Gio couldn't bunt…

29. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Fp wants to keep his job. He has been shilling for the Nats all year. He knows terrible AB's when he sees them

30. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Their balls find that 5.5

31. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I expect to lose every time we play. But I can't believe we are gonna let them plunk our future and do nothing about it. I really have zero respect for this team anymore

32. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Davey clean tonight.Span refuses to walk so he K on ball 4.Nats 129 pitches 34 batters. 3.79

33. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:46 AM

The umps always blow calls in every game, but we beat ourselves tonight.

34. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Eck may not have been the problem but he wasn't the solution either…

35. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Our pitchers are too wimpy to retaliate.

36. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:49 AM

MrsB loves the Nats said… If we lose tonight, it will be becuz Gio couldn't bunt… It's never one play but that was huge. I think not making Gattis expand the zone with 1st base open and men on 3rd and 2nd was the big play.

37. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I changed my mind. Davey has made a major error.No pitcher has plunked Upton yet

38. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Stammen ain't the old Stammen.

39. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Span swing at 3 balls. There was not one strike in the whole AB. Can't wait to here Rays excuses.

40. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:51 AM

BJ Upton looks sick…. I swear he looked like Master Splinter….

41. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Braves 120 pitches 35 batters 3.43

42. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Will Ray roast ALR or blame Gios bad bunt? Ridiculous

43. SCNatsFan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Stammen needed to hit someone that inning. Amazed at how this team has no fight.

44. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:54 AM

If there is any justice in the world Bryce will walk it off with a 2 run shot.

45. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:55 AM

It's all OK. Chad Tracy on deck people!

46. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Uptown will be plunked tomorrow.

47. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I'd rather have no luck than the bad luck we seem to have… This is a humbling season regardless of the outcome for each person in this organization….Man, I hope we get Girardi as our next manager…. I'm not interested in not 1 person on the current staff as the manager…

48. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Ghost. Hahahahahahaahahaha. Bad Chad

49. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:57 AM

All I have to say is the crowd is a good one. They have been in it all game. Have to like that.

50. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:57 AM

The beat retaliation we could have given them was when we had true bases loaded… Or when we scored runs…That would have hurt them more…

51. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Tracy is purposeless….

52. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM

How awful is Chad Tracy. Did you even throw a baseball in the K zone to him?

53. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Chad Tracy. WhAts the point???? Hahahahahahaahahaha. How does this guy look Rizzo in the eye when he hands him his paycheck????m. Hahahaha Put in Helen Keller.

54. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Ghost, indeed. Nobody can blame the fans for this one.

55. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Hahahaha ha. I have officially gone crazy. Luv how everybody is just drilling Chad. Hahahahaha

56. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Time for Daveys post game. " HUN GET THE VALIUM and the vodka. Hahahaha. Ahhhhhhhhhhh. 54 and 59. World Series or bust?? Hahahahaha

57. karlkolchak - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:05 AM

This is why I thought it was really funny last night when folks were actually arguing that Davey screwed up by not pinch hitting Tracy for Hairston–like it matters one bit which of our crappy bench players pinch hits or whether they are left or right handed facing a lefty or a righty.

58. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:06 AM

We are done with the division hunt. Wild card is possible but slim it's a dead team that needs new direction

59. ExposedinDC - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Maybe Fredi will rest some regulars and give us a chance tomorrow

60. ExposedinDC - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:12 AM

My god Ray is such a Davey apologist… FP better watch out or he might get Dibbled