Game 113: Braves at Nats

Aug 6, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

The last time Gio Gonzalez took the mound for the Nationals, the results were … well, they weren't pretty. Gonzalez became only the second pitcher in Nats history to give up 10 runs in a start, matching the illustrious Jason Simontacchi for that dubious mark. Was that a mere blip on the radar or cause for action concern? We'll find out this evening.

We'll also find out if the Nationals can produce at least a little bit in key situations at the plate. They went 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position last night, the latest frustrating offensive showing in a season chock-full of them, but Davey Johnson has a new twist tonight: Ryan Zimmerman is batting second for the first time in his career, with Bryce Harper leading off and Jayson Werth hitting third. As Davey put it: "I was throwing things up against the wall, and this one stuck."

Julio Teheran starts for the Braves, seeking their 12th straight win and a 14 1/2-game lead in the NL East. The Nats have had some success against the right-hander this season, scoring nine runs on 23 hits in 18 innings over three head-to-head encounters.

There is a threat of rain later this evening, but the forecast shows it should stay dry until about 9 p.m. Check back for updates…

ATLANTA BRAVES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB Network (outside D.C. market), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 89
Weather: Chance of storms, 75 degrees, Wind 9 mph RF to LF

LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche

1. SCNatsFan - Aug 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM

2. Secret wasian man - Aug 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Love Marks pre games. But does it really matter who pitches for the Nats or the Braves. The Nats can't really hit anybody. Lets hope GIO pitches a shutout.

3. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

In an effort to induce a reverse lock, might I mention that the 'flawed' Braves have the second best runs scored per game average in the NL (trailing only the Cardinals) and the second best runs allowed per game average (only the Pirates allow fewer). Go Nats! Beat the averages!

4. Secret wasian man - Aug 6, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Good players want to be in the big spot and deliver the big hit. I don't see that here. Maybe Bryce or WERTh. The others take so many close pitches it seems like they are just hoping for a walk and hoping someone else can be the hero.

5. Joe Seamhead - Aug 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Joe West behind the plate. Perserve us.

6. Joe Seamhead - Aug 6, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Nats sent Cedeno back down and bring up Tanner Roark, who I don't believe was on the 40 man roster. Hmmm? Det to the 60 day?

7. Joe Seamhead - Aug 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Det has been put on the 60 day DL effectively ending his season.

8. Tcostant - Aug 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Sometimes you need an uplifting story to remind you when you were a kid watching baseball, well this is it:http://www.thearenaupdate.com/2013/08/the-mystery-man-at-miller-park.htmlStory from when the Nats where at Miller Park

9. Tcostant - Aug 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Joe – Det can still come off the 60 day DL Sept 2nd, if he is ready.

10. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM

To bring Det back on Sept 2nd, they would need to release someone else. Who are you nominating? Keep in mind that the likes of Haren and Tracy become FAs as soon as the season ends and Det will slide right into one of their spots.

11. Joe Seamhead - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Also, Davey Johnson said the other night that he would be doubtful to return this season because he'd need a couple of weeks to get his arm strength back, once he can deal with the disc. So, yes, technically Det could return on Sept 2nd, but seems extremely unlikely.

12. Tcostant - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM

If he is ready, they can always find away. But that time, they could be another minor leaguer who's on the 40 man roster who can be moved to the 60 day. Or someone will show to be worthless by then.Might be as easy as making up an "injury" for Taylor Jordon, who your shutting down anyway and placing him on the 60 day DL.there is always a way, if Det is ready to pitch.

13. peric - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM

"Sure I'll keep watching, I'll keep hoping, I'll keep rooting. What is the other option?"How about waiting to see the evaluation the young prospects in AAA and AA? I always enjoy watching that … hopefully Mike won't stubbornly cling to his lineup and will be flexible enough to consider alternatives either from the minors or via trade.

14. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I would have stuck with Ramos before LaRoche considering how well Ramos did at cleanup. RZim at 2nd.

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM

If Span gets on base will he remember Teheran's pickoff move? I sure hope so.

16. peric - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Statcorner lists the best pitcher in Syracuse as Tanner Roark. Best starter, in the top 4 as a reliever. Best hitter by far is Tyler Moore right now. If they get swept Rizzo really ought to bench Span or/and LaRoche and bring up Moore to play every day at the very least.

17. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:37 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Ghost. Don't forget the "Micah Owings goes North with the big club" by Phil, too m August 06, 2013 3:08 PM The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. said… You guys can bash Phil Wood all you want, but the fact is that people pay attention to what he says. No one pays attention to you guys, not even the writer whose blog you're poaching on. August 06, 2013 3:12 PM You can try putting others down on here if that makes you Feel better but I don't think anyone bashed Phil Wood rather treated him as if he was posting here.Funny you say that about Mark since I got a nice email from Mark Zuckerman over the All-Star break and I get emails, texts and calls often from people here on a regular basis. Many people are too afraid of expressing their opinions/facts here because they don't want to get pummeled.Phil Wood is great with the Senators trivia and probably one of the best out there. He's also a passionate collector of historical game items and we share that passion.His knowledge of the Nats is good also but some of his predictions are like Ladson's, way off base. He knew the rumor of Tanner Roark and went with it and glad some think he was a genius for knowing that. Mark I'm sure knew also but doesn't generally deal in rumor until it becomes fact.

18. alexva - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Jason Bergmann also gave up 10 runs in a start, but only 6 were earned runs. I bring this up as a reminder of the ways things were. cheer up boys and girls, we have real players now.

19. JD - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Peric, I agree with you re Moore instead of LaRoche. In fact if there's a way to trade LaRoche without eating most of the remainder of his contract I am all for it. I can see the team moving Span in the off season but not to be replaced by Corey Brown or any one else at Syracuse. Maybe Shin Soo Choo?

20. karlkolchak - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:53 PM

JD – I would at least like to see Moore in a righty-lefty platoon with LaRoche. Give the kid some regular ABs and see what he can do. Also, Sin Soo Choo will NOT be the Nats' CF'er next year. He's on the wrong side of 30 and his dWAR is -1.3 according to BR. He is definitely not Rizzo's type of player. Face it, Span will be the CF'er until Goodwin is ready. That's the plan. Hopefully, we'll see Goodwin by midseason next year.

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM

JD, Davey won't do it so save your typing. Rizzo I'm sure put him on waivers but don't expect anything.

22. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I said back in early July that Tanner Roark was one of those arms we'd see before the season was over.

23. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Being on the young- uns!!!! And please– free Tyler Moore!

24. JD - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM

My point about Tyler Moore is that it's not good enough to bring him up in September when many of the games are really glorified spring training games. We need to see him in real action against real MLB competition. I am aware that he got more than a fair shake this year but given his success last year and his resurgence at AAA I think we better have a real good look before we pass him on to someone else.

25. JD - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Ghost, Davey won't do it as long as ALR is here and potentially here next year. I don't relish the idea of starting next year with the exact same lineup as this year.

26. JD - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:03 PM

karlkolchak, You do know than Shin Soo Choo has an OBP of .416? I wasn't thinking CF. I was thinking LF with Bryce in CF. It's not going to happen because someone will throw boat loads of money at him.

27. David Proctor - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Shoo would be nice, but as someone said, he's on the wrong side of 30 and he's going to get PAID. No thanks.

28. JaneB - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM

TConstant, what a great story you shared:http://www.thearenaupdate.com/2013/08/the-mystery-man-at-miller-park.htmlGYFNG!

29. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Choo has been hit by 22 times which contributes to his OBP.

30. JD - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Faraz, You aren't suggesting it's an unsustainable blip. Are you?

31. David Proctor - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Shoo gets hit a lot every year. He leans into pitches.

32. David Proctor - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Interesting that LaRoche says he feels like a "skeleton" at the plate and is trying to add 15 pounds.

33. JD - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM

David, Choo is just a thought. We do need one more impact bat in our lineup, I think.

34. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:31 PM

yep, .416 is unsustainable even if he gets hit a lot on a yearly basis.

35. JD - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:31 PM

For whatever it's worth, I like tonight's lineup.

36. MicheleS - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:31 PM

GO GIO! GYFNG! I will be enjoying the game at the park! I hope you all enjoy it as well

37. JD - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Faraz, You are right. .416 is tough but his career average is .388 so it's not a fluke.

38. David Proctor - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM

First time in Zim's career he's ever hit second. It's interesting, that's for sure.

39. DWS - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Should be interesting.Tcostant..very nice story (link).peric?

40. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Choo is a nice option. I think even I might have named him as one of the options before we got span but I am spoiled with span's defense and I think we have not seen the real span at the plate. I will stick with span for now.

41. Mr Baseball - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:41 PM

A better line-up would be, Rendon in the lead off position and move everyone else down one spot!

42. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:46 PM

My one prediction for tonight is that Teheran gets a pick off against the Nats.

43. David Proctor - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Probably Span

44. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Yes, LaRoche is emaciated. All the more reason to platoon him with Moore to let him get his strength back. He can be the lefty off the bench on his off nights. Time to start transitioning Moore into the job. There comes a time where you use the guy and he becomes a starter or you trade him. If you do neither, the development stalls and you waste a great resource.

45. James Joyce - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM

And the tricked-up lineups continue.

46. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I'm thinking Desmond.

47. DWS - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Davey should try throwing things at the wall more often. Can't hurt.I like Span. But he does have to be on base.

48. David Proctor - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Desmond is a pretty good baserunner. I'd be surprised if he got picked off.

49. Steady Eddie - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:55 PM

JJ — as opposed to continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result?Bottom line is, as many here have noted, Davey at his age has become unable to figure out how to get inside his players' heads to change their mental approach, so he's shuffling around what he can change.

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM

NatsJack, see my 4:22 post on pickoffs.

51. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Davey's is all about Davey. He does not believe he should need to give pep talks or teach veterans. He believes the hitters should swing at the first pitch. He does not believe in stealing. If it does not work, he believes it's not on him, the players have let him down in his lame duck season. Now he is just doing anything at all, whether it makes sense or not. I cannot wait for this era to be over. I want a boring manager.

52. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Masn outage in my area. It just gets better. Now I have to listen to the MLB people drool over the Barves.

53. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Thanks Ghost. I didn't see your post . Teheran has the best right hander move I've seen in quite awhile.

54. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Yep, great move.

55. David Proctor - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM

We've hit Teheran fairly well before, and Harper has homered off of him, so I hope that carries over.

56. David Proctor - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Davey on Ryan Zimmerman's troubles throwing from 3rd: 'If that doesn't get better, then obviously it's not a good spot for him to be in.'He definitely left the door open to a move to first.

57. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM

go Go Gio

58. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Was supposed to go to the game tonight but the rain made me stay in… Or the chance of rain….Lets Go Nats! Go Gio Go!

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Notice last 2 gams Gio quit doing his tradition of getting a haircut on days he pitches.

60. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I hope he is okay… Don't like injuries to anyone… But I remember watching MLB TV and they were talking about J Heyward's awkward swing and how his head moves a lot…

61. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Interesting with the Braves. I'm assuming that wasn't some ridiculous stall tactic by Heyward but if he stays in the game, you have to wonder. That was a delay of a few minutes.

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Braves 3 batters 12 pitches. 4.00

63. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:17 PM

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/nationals-watch/2013/aug/6/davey-johnson-talks-about-ryan-zimmermans-arm-stre/Johnson said, “I don’t know if it’s physical or mental. Because I see him throw pretty good and in the game he’ll want to get a lot of air under it. If that doesn’t get better, then obviously (third base) is not a good spot for him to be in. But at one time, he had a cannon, and we’re all waiting for him to come back and get over it. I still think it’s more mental. Not just trusting it and cutting loose. I see him getting his work in, and he throws it pretty good. And then you see him having to play real shallow, almost cheat in. It’s not all together there yet, is what I’m saying.”Davey said exactly what I was pounding for the past few weeks. Davey knows it and said it. The "play real shallow, almost cheat in" has greatly affected his range and UZR to be worst in the Majors.

64. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Take advantage of Gattis poor fielding!

65. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM

How bad is it in Phillie?Darin Ruff is now their right fielder.

66. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I hope we test C Johnson tonight… He isn't that great of a 3rd baseman…

67. Nats 128 - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM

MrsB, no kiddin! Shouldve been bunting up the line to him when called for last night.

68. Nats 128 - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:27 PM

"If that doesn’t get better, then obviously (third base) is not a good spot for him to be in"GoSM, you said exactly that and some people told you that you were full of it.I think you told someone they were smarter then there writing on the subject. Uh huh. Very interesting!

69. Nats 128 - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Its almost unfair how much slobbering with kisses FP puts on Shue.

70. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Can we please cash in on some of these walks…. Come on guys!

71. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Teheran wanted to give it up and the Nats didn't take it. 2 walks earned. 2 LOB 0-1 RISP

72. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Sigh…. I just don't like swinging too often after walks… I'm not saying Des had a bad at bat but I would have preferred he wait it out some… Idk…

73. SCNatsFan - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM

If Ian doesn't turn it around the whole offense gets stalled. He is the current culprit killing this offense.

74. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Nats 5 batters 24 pitches 4.80

75. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Nats128, imagine that. I don't think I said it exactly like that but close enough.Davey was also being diplomatic and the problem is more the range than the throws. RZim has to play back and make the longer throws. He's unfortunately earned his poor defensive ratings. When you're worse than Chris Johnson and Cabrera, that's real bad.

76. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Nice K Gio of CJohnson!

77. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Braves 6 batters 20 pitches 3.33

78. Nats 128 - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Gio in a good cadence. 20 pitches. Nice.

79. Nats 128 - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM

GoSM, my analysis is that Zim doenst like making that throw on the dirt. He crow hops on to the grass and when he goes back on balls isnt comfterable throwing on the dirt. It could be coincidental. Might be his footing.

80. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Nats 8 batters 38 pitches 4.75

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Braves 10 batters 32 pitches 3.20

82. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Oh yes! Bryce!

83. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Harper HR… Nice…

84. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM

First swings at fast balls are approved if you drive them.not approve if you cant center them and jus top them or pop them straight up. Nats 12 batter and 49 pitces 4.08

85. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:05 AM

That was a good at bat by McCann…

86. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Adam saved that throw by Desi…. Whew!

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Braves 14 batters 45 itches 3.21

88. Nats 128 - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Nice double play by Rendon – Desmond. That was big for Gio. Good job. 45 pitch count thru 4.

89. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:09 AM

JD said… Ghost,Davey won't do it as long as ALR is here and potentially here next year. I don't relish the idea of starting next year with the exact same lineup as this year. JD, exactly right. It reminds me of the scene in Moneyball. Beane: Play Hatteberg Manager: Pena Beane: Play Hatteberg That goes on every day until Beane trades Pena. Beane: Play Hatteberg Manager: Pena Beane: I traded Pena today

90. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Dang Adam is skinny…

91. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:13 AM

OK, Ian. Don't get picked off.

92. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:14 AM

NatsJack, you almost called that pickoff. Teheran picks his spots for his "A" move.

93. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Nats 64 pitches 16 batters 4.00

95. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM

BJ at .188. Wow

96. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:21 AM

BigCat, according to WODL, he's better than Span.

97. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:21 AM

He's runnin

98. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Bang bang, nice play Ramos. Don't forget about holding him close at 2nd.

99. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Close, hell, he was out.

100. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Is it me or does it seem like every close play goes against us

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:23 AM

They start before our pitcher heads home almost every time when they do steal.

102. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I'm walking Gattis. ;)

103. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Big Cat, all year long.

104. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Crap, told you to walk him.

105. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM

That's the difference. RISP, the Braves attack.

106. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:26 AM

It's called proper execution. It's what good teams do.

107. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Joe West blows that 0-2 on JUpton.

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Gio you had the lead and you gave it away.Our hitters are not hitting enough for our pitchers. Thus our pitchers though they generally pitchng well but are being out pitched by the opponents.He needed not walk Simmons to set up things after he allowed Upton to steal.

109. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Such crap. Joe West blows a call and the inning continues. Perfect 0-2 by Gio and West blows it. I'm sick of the calls going against the Nats.

110. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM

As usual McCatty comes out way late. Why not before Gattis.

111. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:30 AM

MNF, yes, you are right but you had 1st base open and you must make Gattis expand the zone much more.

112. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:30 AM

That goes to pitcher execution.

113. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM

This is almost in step with what happened last night.

114. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Both Gio and West stunk that inning.Braves 68 pitches 21 batters 3.24

115. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Yes Ghost…. It's one thing for an ump to miss a call , but West is an arrogant ass who holds a grudge.

116. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM

He pitched ball waste high.

117. Drew - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Your Bryce Harper update:716 from Henry Aaron2 from Willie Wilson and Rick Schu

118. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Good to see Rendon hitting again.

119. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Now we have a man on second no outs. RISP time.

120. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Failure to execute a bunt. (*O%$U

121. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Gio did watch Teheran at all how to help yourself?

122. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Yep……. Theeeeere is the difference. Pop up. Go sit down gio

123. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM

That was on purpose. What crap.

124. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Fire up.

125. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM

They don't get more obvious than that.

126. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Now we cant throw at them.

127. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM

That will be all over ESPN and MLB Network.

128. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Did you see Tehran's smirk after West warned him?

129. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Failure to bunt just cost a run.

130. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:38 AM

0 for 3 RISP. Gio cost himself a run.

131. Candide - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Wow, Harper is pissed off. I don't lip-read well, but I thought Mormons don't use that kind of language.

132. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I'm gettin fired up. Gotta love Harper Ohhhh yeah. Very intentional

133. Unknown - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Bryce has some fire in his belly. Which he could give a little of it to the Face of the Franchise. The Face of the Franchise is sleep walking through his career.

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM

0 for 4 RiSP

135. ExposedinDC - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Is there a team worst at small ball than the nats…..seriously

136. SCNatsFan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Boy that is a surprise we didn't cash in with runners in scoring position

137. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Nats 71 pitches 22 batters 3.23

138. Dan Strong - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:41 AM

This team is so predictable.

139. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I'm fired up too BigCat and most of it stems from mistakes on top of the intentional plunking. Gio can't bunt and that cost the team a run. Horrible.

140. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM

What a crock of bull manure.

141. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM

McCann just thought he was getting that in his back.

142. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Each time i believe the slump will be over, but alas it never is.

143. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Bull manure in the expletive form was uttered several times by Nats players.

144. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM

The Nats will retaliate. When it happens will be interesting. I'm thinking on Justin Upton or Gattis.

145. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM

The only thing that pisses me off more than that chicken sh t plunking, it the fact that once again we cant cash in on a lead off double. you gotta make those punks pay. instead we roll over and do nothing.

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:44 AM

If you bunt one straight up, it was a high pitch and you lay off.

147. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Nice Desi!

148. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM

We have wasted a lot of lead off doubles this season.

149. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM

unknown from 8:39 great post about Zimm. He is one tired gutless act.

150. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Braves 83 pitches 24 batters. 3.45

151. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Were the hell is the retaliation plunking?? The season is long gone. why not. My gosh what a bunch of lightweights. Could you roll over and play dead anymore? and at home no less.

152. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:48 AM

No we won't retaliate. Davey is old and weak now. We will lose snd the braves will go to the hotel bar laughing. Me……. I get Upton right in the ribs!! Sorry nats lady, these things happen every now and then

153. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Zimm, Desi, and ALR are what is wrong with this offense. No sense of urgency from these guys. A 20 year old kid more professional than the 3 Veterans. SIT DOWN ADAM YOU SUCK. Time to play all the kids

154. Candide - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…Bull manure in the expletive form was uttered several times by Nats players.Yeah, with a couple of "chuck foos" from Harper thrown in there for good measure.

155. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:52 AM

The team has NO FIGHT in it. Baseball wise and literally. bunch of pansies just collecting paychecks. and Davey is the ring leader. BLAHHHHHHHH time to watch dance moms.

156. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Run. First pitch

157. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I don't think I have been this mad all season. They punch us in the face and we lay there. "Thank you sir may I please have another?"

158. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:56 AM

RAMOS pops up more than Tracy.

159. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Ramos is killing the ball and has been missing by milimeters.

160. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Bad luck, much?

161. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 12:59 AM

More bad luck. Simmons in motion to cover 2nd and finds Span's grounder. It's truly unbelievable. Yes, Nats create enough of their own problems but this is just nuts.

162. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:00 AM

163. SCNatsFan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:00 AM

God I wish there was an ignore function in this forum

164. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Yea joe , it ain't our year. Bad luck, karma , whatever.

165. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Stammen warming up in case he plunks Teheran.

166. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM

It's 2-1 and it feels like its 10-1

167. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Only reason Span has no hit there Desmond is running.Braves 90 pitches 25 batters. 3.60

168. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Thank you stupid BJ Upton.

169. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:04 AM

BAD LUCK ? HAHAHAHAHA wake up folks. Stop drinking the koolaid.

170. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Teheran pulled to save him from a plunking I believe.

171. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Last fall I griped about our inability to hold runners and was told that I was over-reacting by one of our esteemed regulars on this board.BJ is a punk.

172. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Stupid baserunning from upton. 80 million my ass

173. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Bad luck, bad umpiring, and then add poor execution, poor approach, mental mistakes sprinkled in with a few throwing errors.

174. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:06 AM

No cool aid involved. True had stupid at bats, but a lot of bad luck. Hitting hard right at people etc.

175. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:06 AM

As soon as this thing is out of reach, if not already you gotta plunk somebody. maybe tomorrow we plunk.

176. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:07 AM

All you said plus hitting hard balls ith RISP right at people.

177. Les_in_NC - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Why, SCNatsFan? This is a fan forum, right? Some fans express their fandom a little differently than you, c'est la vie.

178. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Ok ghost. Ill back off. there is some bad luck. but 1 10 with RISP last night. bad bunt execution. And not being able to throw out even Davey Johnson running to second is just unacceptable

179. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Braves 96 pitches 28 batters 3.43

180. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:11 AM

1 of RISP Harper hit harder than tonight',s homer.

181. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Gio walks 1 guy in 7 innings. Of course the batter walked scored the second run.

182. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:16 AM

SWM, agreed,

183. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Joe…. Yes, it is inexcusable at the big league level that we can't hold guys on base.

184. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:18 AM

RZim's hustle made that happen. If Span ran like that last night on the bunt……

185. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM

One struggling third baseman beats another one!

186. SCNatsFan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I agree at some point – be it tonight or tomorrow night – the Nats have to show some stones and plunk someone

187. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM

188. Les_in_NC - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:20 AM

is that the FoF showing some desire to help the team win…?

189. BigCat - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Werth goin deep

190. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Bad luck, sure. No doubt.There's a classic text that teaches what to do when the gods hate you.

191. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:23 AM

GET adam a sandwich, put him on a bus and get him OUTTA HERE. He sucks

192. SCNatsFan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:24 AM

This season gets worse and worse. Just when you think the low point has arrived another shows up.

193. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I'm pretty sure Ulysses didn't swing at a ball inside on 2-0 and ground out to first. Although the whole sirens thing showed pretty bad judgement.

194. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:26 AM

ALR chokes again in Hi Lev. Why are you swinging 2-0? Work the count.

195. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:26 AM

MY Lord try to work a walk ADAM. Just a terrible at bat. SIT HIS ANAREXIC ASS down

196. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:28 AM

STOP THINKING GRAND SLAM. Get the tying run in. And FP making excuses for him. The more I watch this bunch the more I realize how stupid they all are.

197. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:29 AM

BigCat said… Ghost. If Zim is at 3rd on that. It's over his head. Agree on that aspect of your zim evaluationI used to question why RZim didn't play "no doubles" defense and now I know why, he isn't comfortable on the line and back. It cost the Nats in the 1st Braves game of the season and it cost the Nats several other times.

198. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Why would you swing at ball 3?Nats 111 pitches 31 batters. 3.58ALR not wanted to tie instead make 5-2 according to FP.It is that mentality that is killing the Nats this. Ake the damn walk and move the line.

199. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:30 AM

FP speculating (and to be fair, LaRoche isn't responsible for what FP says) that Adam was "looking for something middle in that he could pull. He's not looking to walk; he's thinking grand slam." (I'm probably paraphrasing.)Yes, FP, that's exactly why they are where they are.

200. Les_in_NC - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Really?! wasian man? Anorexic? MAybe we should all pitch in and get him a round of PEDs?