Game 114: Braves at Nats

Aug 7, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

While there's almost certainly a faction of the Nationals clubhouse — not to mention the fan base — that would love to see some form of retaliation tonight against the Braves after last night's plunking of Bryce Harper, you get the sense the Nats feel like the best revenge right now would be a victory over the NL East leaders. These two teams still play six more times this season after tonight, so there's still time for retribution.

But it's certainly worth watching right from the get-go tonight when Jordan Zimmermann takes the mound, just in case the right-hander has something up his sleeve. He'll be seeking his 14th win, which would be tops in the NL, and more importantly he'll be seeking to get the Nationals a much-needed win over an Atlanta club that has now won nine of 12 head-to-head encounters this season.

Kris Medlen gets the ball for the Braves, who surely are out for blood themselves, trying to sweep this series, win their 13th straight and expand their division lead to a staggering 15 1/2 games.

Updates to come…

ATLANTA BRAVES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Chance of storms, 81 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF

CF Denard Span
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth

1. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I said in foresight.Had someone knew Upton was going to homer (even I didnt feel that). It sure would have beat what hapened.

2. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Holbrook really not calling the knees here. Was he, earlier?

3. Joe Seamhead - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:26 AM

4. TimDz - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Ugla struck out THREE TIMES in one at bat….We should be in the bottom of the 8th….

5. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:27 AM

MNF, well, sure, I'd rather they hit him than give up a dinger, but that's the problem with being wild INSIDE the strike zone. If you're going to miss, miss GOOD.

6. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Wonder what the 2 Uptons averages ate against the Nats and their average in all non Nats game.

7. David Proctor - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:28 AM

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:30 AM

David Proctor said… Apparently the Braves broadcast showed Harper being chewed out by Davey Johnson. I can't possibly imagine about what. I've never seen Davey chew someone out.Maybe the Braves can Tweet another witty Clown joke out. Not!

9. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:30 AM

As it ended up my pitch call was better than Ramos'

10. Joe Seamhead - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:31 AM

David Proctor? Who? What? When?

11. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Yes, Sofa, just a rhetorical question. as people will throw an error at a player that covers a ton of real estate only to have the ball go off their glove. Just wondering if anybody here has ever played any of the OF positions at an any adult level.Ah. I hear you. Tough to give an error on a ball he had to slide to get to, but that's the classic "if you asked him, he'd say he should have caught it" play. And yes, tho mostly an infielder.

12. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:31 AM

All right, Mattheus.. Remember which hand is your pitching hand…Just take a shower.

13. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Wow, Davey is now into the ballgame. Something woke him up. Maybe it was Bryce getting in his ear!

14. David Proctor - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Here is what someone who is watcing the Braves broadcast said:"It was after he flied out. They showed Desmond giving him a talking to and then Johnson joined in and seemed to be yelling, getting kind of heated about it. Desmond walked off and Johnson continued.Our guys were guessing it had something to do with Harper not running the play out, which the replay showed."

15. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:34 AM

We have scored no runs on tgeir bullpen.Goin into yesterday our bullpen had an ERA of 4.14. It is among the biggest differences in the team is bullpen effort

16. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:35 AM

OK, now a fastball above the zone and …nevermind.

17. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Right past LaRoche.

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:35 AM

or should I say "Past a diving Adam LaRoche"

19. paul brandt - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:36 AM

0-2 curve ball? pathetic.

20. Knoxville Nat - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:36 AM

" Apparently the Braves broadcast showed Harper being chewed out by Davey Johnson. I can't possibly imagine about what. I've never seen Davey chew someone out."David, the Barves broadcasters are speculating that Johnson was getting on Harper for not running hard out of the box on his last AB.

21. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Riddle me this. Why did Clippard not pitch the 8th?He might screw up but no worse than Krol who has given this game away.

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:36 AM

It was fun while it was tied.

23. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Who the heck is calling for curveballs here?? WTH?

24. David Proctor - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Well can't blame Davey for this one. He played the matchups and the Braves still beat us.

25. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Krol needed to waste one on 0-2.

26. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Embarrassing….

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Sec. 3, My Sofa said… Who the heck is calling for curveballs here?? WTH? Is there a rule about that?

28. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I blame Davey 100% why no clippard ro start the 8th

29. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:37 AM

HIT HIM KROL!

30. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I wanted him to hit Upton.

31. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I'm not understanding why DJ left Krol in there… This chit is terrible… I'm so pissed right now…

32. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Krol is upset, look at his face, it's all blotchy. He's done so well, gotta be hard for him.

33. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Again… I ask why was TR taken out… He was cruising… I swear these Nats make me want to slap some people…Just embarrassing… Totally not our year…

34. Knoxville Nat - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:40 AM

All of this started with 2 out, is that correct? If so, pathetic.

35. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM

To be fair, Upton's hit was a shot, 12 or 15 feet to LaRoche's right. That wasn't his fault.

36. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Sorry, LaRoche needed to at least knock down that ball.

37. SCNatsFan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:42 AM

This team is not good. Going to see the PNats tomorrow night, hopefully Purke. I'll be able to enjoy baseball again, if only for a night.

38. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Why are going to bottom of yhe bullpen list when clip was rested. Terrible personel decisions again.Why did Matheus walk the pinch hitter with all crap pitches. He set up Krol to screw up which Krol glsdly hung a curve ball to be smashed.Our bullpen as a group has neen as bad as our hitters.Clippards been fire Doriano fine most of the time. The rest have been poor at best.

39. Joe Seamhead - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…Right past LaRoche.August 07, 2013 9:35 PM Ghost Of Steve M. said…or should I say "Past a diving Adam LaRoche"August 07, 2013 9:35 PM—///— Freddie Freeman couldn't have gotten to that ball.

40. David Proctor - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:43 AM

"Again… I ask why was TR taken out… He was cruising… I swear these Nats make me want to slap some people…"He went 2 innings in his first major league appearance. Plus, he would have had to bat. Why would you let him hit?Granted, he could probably hit better than Bernadina. But still.

41. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Their bullpen wouldn't hang a curve ball to be smashed.

42. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Matt Harvey with a complete game shutout.

43. Joe Seamhead - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Ghost, you get ridiculous on balls that you think that ALR should've gotten to. Look objectively at the replay.

44. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:46 AM

don't it make you wonder

45. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:46 AM

46. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Rizzo biggest failure to me is the bullpenNotice most teams most relievers throw 95+We have no one that can blow people aeay.

47. paul brandt - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:47 AM

face it folks:1) Braves have our number – they will be 6-0 in OUR stadium this year if they win tonight (trying to be optimistic)2) it just ain't our yearit happens but yes, it hurts…only real issue now is do we throw at one of their guys in the 9th? I say no point, should have done so last night.

48. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:48 AM

I feel like I did in 2008 and 2009 watching this team… I was looking forward to baseball so earnestly last off season and it's August and I'm ready for this season to just be over…My pick for the WS – Cards and Red Sox…

49. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:48 AM

I broke my old mac and couldn't log on.Anything happen in the last week ;(Can someone write a thesis on why the Nats haven't been able to hit with RISP even with less than 2 outs ?

50. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I blame krol hanging a curve ball more than ALR.WHY was Span batting first againHe hits so much better 7th. I blame Davey for that too.

51. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Sec. 3, My Sofa said…Who the heck is calling for curveballs here?? WTH?GOSM said … Is there a rule about that?I hope not. It just seemed like such a poor choice of pitches there, and I was sitting here calling for another fastball off the plate. But no one hears me. Sigh.

52. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Don't it make you wonder – Fleetwood Mac, Rumours

53. SCNatsFan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I hope Stammen drills someone. Anyone.

54. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:52 AM

55. David Proctor - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Mark DeRosa claimed off waivers. I actually wouldn't mind if it were us. He's been moderately productive and he was a big leader last year.

56. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:53 AM

96mph to RZim and he swings right through it. That should've been deposited in the Red Porch seats.

57. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Really, that Heyward ball went right under LaRoche's glove. Stop making excuses for him. You can go to the MLB GameDay and click on Videos and watch it again and again.No, it really didn't. I went back and slo-mo'd it twice. He was fully extended on the ground, and it was at least his height again further to his right, so from where he was standing, I'm guessing 12-15 feet away.

58. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Never going back again

59. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Sec3, it needed to be a curveball out of the zone to get him to chase. 0-2 count and you leave it over the plate? Not a good pitch.Well, that's for sure. Certainly needed to be off the plate, whatever it was.

60. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Why are we the least productive offensive team in baseball ?We have names like Werth, Harper, Zimmerman, Desmond, Ramos

61. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Going into yesterday Braes bullpen gave up 0 runs in 11 games our 4.14 ERA. yesterday both gave up 0.Today again Braves 0 Nats 4.Our bullpen is not carrying its weight at all.Had the numbers been reversed instead of 3-10 we would be 10-3.2 games behibd.So one could blame the bullpen just as easily as the hitters for our situation.Starters in general only section doing the job.

62. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:58 AM

No one is carrying their weight except the starters and JWIs ALR, Zimm, Rendon, Desmond, Span ??

63. D'Gourds - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:59 AM

This season is officially a Bust. Davey's prediction came true. What a disaster.

64. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Is our bullpen one of the worst in baseball ? NoIs our offense ? Yes

65. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:00 AM

MnF – it's not just the bull pen… It's the batters, it's the coaches, it's the managers…Is just not up year… I know people like to keep calling certain folks but, realistically, all of the Nats line up can be called out, including young Harper…

66. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I see Mark in his comment above asked the same question I did why a rested Clippard not pitching the 8th?Please sask at thepresser.

67. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Have I ever mentioned that I hate the Braves?

68. BigCat - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Zim just can't catch up with the 96+ anymore. He has to cheat/lunge now which makes him vulnerable for the off speed. Have said for a year or so that Zims big leg kick and high "Dick Allen" hands don't work anymore. I think either he makes adjustments or he is in trouble

69. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Sec3, he needed to take a step and a dive. Instead he froze and dove and it was right by him. Those are the plays a Gold Glove has to at least knock down if not make.Was it a tough play? Yes. Your team is fighting for survival and you wait for someone, anyone, to step up. It didn't happen.Watch the video at 39 seconds. He froze and dove without taking a step and diving and missed it by 4 feet.

70. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Are the coaches and the managers the reason whyZimm, Ramos, Span, ALR, Desmond not driving in runs ?

71. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Hold the presses Ramos throws out a man

72. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Will the Nats RBI leader have less than 80 ?When's the last time that happened….1908

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:05 AM

He is one that threw the hanging curve ball, so dont feel sorry for him.Throw a good one and its a K. You cannot make mistakes late in the game. I have pity for him as he is 100% responsible for tge good or bad.

74. Almazar80 - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:05 AM

The team's been bad all year. This downward spiral is not surprising. It's a continuation of the type of play they've exhibited since spring training. It's not a good team. Last year they had good luck on their side. This year, not so much. Besides, had the regular season been two seasons longer in 2012, the Braves, in all likelihood, would have caught them. Strasburg was spent when September came along last year. This year, he has done a lot better (longetivity wise), but the overall lack of talent in the squad dooms the Nats to second, third or perhaps even fourth place. It's not going to be better next year. The talent is plain lacking. It's not attributable to a lot of people having subpar years. It's attributable to having a lot of subpar players that played well for a year (and thereby gave Rizzo the illusion that he actually built a talented club). The truth, now evident, is the Nats cannot compete against the good teams in the NL.

75. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:05 AM

jeff, how many games did they play in 1908?

76. BigCat - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:06 AM

That was the perfect time to drill someone. 2 outs, no one on. Bingo ! Ooops…… Sorry BJ. But nooooo

77. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:06 AM

So the braves got the Uptons and Chris Johnson and Evan GattisWhat did we do to improve the lineup this year ?

78. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:07 AM

This team is not fighting for survival. It would be nice if they were, but they aren't. I don't recall him ever having those "cat-like reflexes" on line shots. I think that's unrealistic. We'll have to agree to disagree there, I guess.

79. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Not much.

80. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:08 AM

154 in 1908The year with the lowest ERA by MLB.It was a small ball year…no one waited for the 3 run hr then.

81. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:10 AM

They played 154 games in 1908. The Cubs won 99, and their last World Series.

82. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:10 AM

154 but good point Ghostbut then Ed Walsh pitched over 400 innings that year. Better pitching, smaller gloves and balls.

83. Dave - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Here's this dude Kimbrel with his stupid vulture-pose. Grrr.

84. Almazar80 - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Make that:If the regular season (in 2012) was two weeks longer in 2012, the Braves, in all likelihood, would have caught the Nats. They were closing and the Nats were fading. This year, there is nothing to fade from since you can't really go down from a flat line.

85. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Bryce swings at Ball 3.

86. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Yes, the Cubs won the WS because Merkle never touched 2nd

87. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Dang. One to jeffwx.

88. BigCat - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I will say this………I feel very good about having Rizzo calling the shots on player personnel People bitch n moan, me included, but Riz had done a greet job

89. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Good job Bryce!

90. paul brandt - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:13 AM

well at least Harper hasn't given up.

91. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Come ON, Kimbrel doesn't need help. That was low.

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Our hitters have stunk all season.Bullpentake away Clip and Soriano is just as bad as the hitters.Haren fine since ASG the top 3 PRETTY GOOD. DET ROSS O AND D ok

93. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:14 AM

LaRoche lurking on deck.

94. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Even Rizzo gave himself a C (as did Mark).Some good moves…some questionable non-moves…but hindsight is 20/20

95. Joe Seamhead - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…Really, that Heyward ball went right under LaRoche's glove. Stop making excuses for him. You can go to the MLB GameDay and click on Videos and watch it again and again.August 07, 2013 9:46 PM—////-///–I have watched it. Three times. You're overly critical of ALR on every ball that goes up the first base line for a hit. You really are. Adam hasn't gotten to some balls this year that he should have. That wasn't one of them, in my opinion.

96. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Joe, UZR says differently, actually very different. Argue with them.

97. BigCat - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:16 AM

C- c-comeback? Nahhhhhh

98. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Why we the only bullpen without 5 98 mph relievers? We dont have 1

99. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:18 AM

LaRoche. Just another pathetic at-bat.

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Thanks ALR take strike 3 right over the middle.Then kimbral throw a mistake and Ian just fouls it back.

101. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Keep him at cleanup, move Span back to leadoff,move espinosa to 2nd when he's batting .150Continue to use Bernadina, Tracy as ph.Insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results.

102. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:22 AM

oh and keep using Storen in critical situationsyep…RISP in scoring position and no outs…

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Last 2 weeks only 3 hitter worth their weight Werth, harper, ramos.

104. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Speaking of the Buffalo…

105. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:25 AM

We are not in the same league with the Braves, Dodgers, pirates, Reds, Card, Dbacks but we can compete with the phils/brew crew/Marlins/Mets/Padres so 2nd division However, If there is one guy I want to bat it is Ramos

106. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Well, they are in the same league, technically…

107. Ivan Tuski - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:28 AM

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

108. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Dang.

109. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:28 AM

mercifully, this series is over

110. Ivan Tuski - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:30 AM

at least we lost this one differently

111. BigCat - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Laroche needs to give some money back to the Lerners. He is absolutely killing us

112. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Yep, so close at the end. Ramos just didn't get the elevation on it.

113. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:31 AM

yes, but we did our typical 5-6 hits per game

114. Almazar80 - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Two bad Ramos didn't quite do it in his final at bat. But he has not been bad.

115. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:34 AM

yes…could be that Harper, Ramos and Desmond are the only 3 that can hit the heat that the boys are throwing these days.

116. jeffwx - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:40 AM

In hindsight, the season ended when we stood pat with our bench, came in the season with no lefty reliever, when we expected ALR to hit like he did last year, when we replaced a power bat with Span, w

117. do1teach1 - Aug 8, 2013 at 3:41 AM

jeffwx has said it well:In hindsight, the season ended when we stood pat with our bench, came in the season with no lefty reliever, when we expected ALR to hit like he did last year, when we replaced a power bat with Span.I can summarize this team in 6 words:Mental team, bad leadership, total hype.