Aug 8, 2013, 5:10 AM EDT
The Nationals took the field Monday night still clinging to the hope — ill-fated as it may have been — they could save their season with a dominant showing against the Braves.
They trudged off that same field Wednesday night all but acknowledging that hope has been dashed, and suddenly taking a long-term view about this franchise’s potential. In some cases, even looking beyond 2013.
“It’s getting to a point where we’re just not winning games,” right fielder Jayson Werth said following a 6-3 loss that completed a three-game sweep at the hands of Atlanta. “You hate to accept losing at any point. But the losses are definitely piling up.”
The losses, and the deficit. The Nationals came out of the All-Star break trailing the Braves by six games, a legitimate hole but certainly one that could be overcome. Less than three weeks later, they now sit a staggering 15 1/2 games back in the NL East.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?