Aug 8, 2013, 2:27 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: If you were hoping for some retaliation from the Nationals in the wake of Bryce Harper's plunking the previous night, you were sorely disappointed. And if you were hoping for an actual victory over the runaway NL East leaders … well, you absolutely were disappointed. The Nationals had to scratch and claw for every hit off Kris Medlen, at one point posting a 2 in the run column despite a 1 in the hit column (Jayson Werth's two-run homer). They did manage to tie the game 3-3 after seven, giving themselves a chance. But the Nationals bullpen imploded in the eighth, with Ryan Mattheus and Ian Krol combining to surrender three runs on three hits and two walks, all with two outs, and all with a fresh Tyler Clippard sitting unused in the bullpen. The Nationals did load the bases in the ninth against Craig Kimbrel but failed to bring one runner home. So it was that they were swept by the Braves (who have now won 13 straight) for the second time at home this season. They're 3-10 overall against Atlanta this season and now trail in the division by 15 1/2 games. With Cincinnati's win earlier in the day, they trail the NL Wild Card by nine games.
Hitting lowlight: Unless your name is Jayson Werth, you really couldn't be part of any highlight tonight. Werth belted a two-runRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo