Aug 8, 2013, 2:27 AM EST
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: If you were hoping for some retaliation from the Nationals in the wake of Bryce Harper's plunking the previous night, you were sorely disappointed. And if you were hoping for an actual victory over the runaway NL East leaders … well, you absolutely were disappointed. The Nationals had to scratch and claw for every hit off Kris Medlen, at one point posting a 2 in the run column despite a 1 in the hit column (Jayson Werth's two-run homer). They did manage to tie the game 3-3 after seven, giving themselves a chance. But the Nationals bullpen imploded in the eighth, with Ryan Mattheus and Ian Krol combining to surrender three runs on three hits and two walks, all with two outs, and all with a fresh Tyler Clippard sitting unused in the bullpen. The Nationals did load the bases in the ninth against Craig Kimbrel but failed to bring one runner home. So it was that they were swept by the Braves (who have now won 13 straight) for the second time at home this season. They're 3-10 overall against Atlanta this season and now trail in the division by 15 1/2 games. With Cincinnati's win earlier in the day, they trail the NL Wild Card by nine games.
Hitting lowlight: Unless your name is Jayson Werth, you really couldn't be part of any highlight tonight. Werth belted a two-runRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians