Aug 11, 2013, 11:47 PM EST
|Photo by USA Today|
Game in a nutshell: Stephen Strasburg was dominant in his 23rd start of the season, recording ten strikeouts in the first complete game shutout of his young career. It was the tenth time in his four MLB seasons he's tossed up double digit Ks and the second time this season. He capped it off with a quick ninth inning that brought the crowd on their feet for a standing ovation and 'let's go Strasburg' chants. Strasburg's teammates gave him a good amount of help on offense with a run in the first inning and five more later on. He got even better as the game progressed with a big lead, retiring 15 of 16 batters at one point. Jayson Werth stood out on offense with three singles as five different Nats players had multiple hits. Desmond and Adam LaRoche both scored a pair of runs in this one as the Nats blew out the Phillies to complete three-game sweep.
Hitting highlight: The Nats jumped all over Kyle Kendrick in the fourth and fifth innings, adding five runs across the two frames. Ian Desmond scored the first run in both innings that featured seven Nats' singles and two walks.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal