Aug 11, 2013, 1:57 AM EDT
Game in a nutshell: This one didn't get off to a rousing start from the Nationals' perspective. The Phillies pounced on Taylor Jordan for four runs in the second inning, and the Nationals couldn't get anything going against Cliff Lee early on. But they kept chipping away at the left-hander, scoring twice in the fourth and once more in the sixth to get to Philadelphia's suspect bullpen. Then they really went to work, blasting Jake Diekman and Zach Miner for five runs in the bottom of the seventh, with Bryce Harper notching the tying run on a squeeze bunt and Jayson Werth's putting the Nationals ahead with a two-run homer. Tanner Roark churned out two scoreless innings of relief to earn his first career win. Rafael Soriano then finished it in the ninth, giving the Nationals their second straight win and their first this season when they trailed by at least four runs.
Hitting highlight: It really can't be understated just how good Werth has been over a prolonged stretch. He has now played in 58 games since returning from a hamstring injury on June 2, andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road