Aug 13, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
|Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER|
As noted earlier today, Bryce Harper is really struggling to hit left-handers this season. Despite a .303 batting average and 1.008 OPS against righties, the Nationals' left fielder is hitting a paltry .172 with a .546 OPS against southpaws. Harper is also dealing with some flu-like symptoms, according to Davey Johnson, enough for the young outfielder to get a day off.
The Nationals' two other left-handed-hitting regulars — Denard Span and Adam LaRoche — also have struggled to hit lefties this season, but each will get a chance to start tonight. Not that Davey has many other options to replace those two, especially with Scott Hairston already starting in Harper's place in left field.
Gio Gonzalez gets the start for the Nationals, and it's only appropriate since today is National Left-Handers' Day. Sense a recurring theme here?
Updates to come, so please check back…
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 83 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to RF
CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats