Aug 13, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
|Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER|
As noted earlier today, Bryce Harper is really struggling to hit left-handers this season. Despite a .303 batting average and 1.008 OPS against righties, the Nationals' left fielder is hitting a paltry .172 with a .546 OPS against southpaws. Harper is also dealing with some flu-like symptoms, according to Davey Johnson, enough for the young outfielder to get a day off.
The Nationals' two other left-handed-hitting regulars — Denard Span and Adam LaRoche — also have struggled to hit lefties this season, but each will get a chance to start tonight. Not that Davey has many other options to replace those two, especially with Scott Hairston already starting in Harper's place in left field.
Gio Gonzalez gets the start for the Nationals, and it's only appropriate since today is National Left-Handers' Day. Sense a recurring theme here?
Updates to come, so please check back…
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 83 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to RF
CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge