Game 120: Giants at Nats

Aug 15, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

After running off five straight wins, the Nats have a chance to break even at the .500 mark and complete the sweep of the defending champion San Francisco Giants on Thursday afternoon. In order to so do, however, they'll need starter Dan Haren to continue his recent run of success.

Haren is 3-1 with a 2.77 ERA in four starts since the All-Star break and the Giants can't seem to hit anything, so the Nats should like their chances today.

Pitching for San Francisco is Ryan Vogelsong (2-4, 6.71) who is making just his second start since returning from the disabled list, he had been on the mend since way back in May. Vogelsong is making his second start against the Nats this season and, despite his overall disappointing campaign, he took the win against Washington on May 20 after pitching five scoreless innings.

It was in that game, however, that he took a pitch off his right pinky, breaking several bones in the hand. Perhaps today is a chance for redemption.

Stay tuned for updates throughout the game…

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Clear, 78 degrees, Wind 7 mph LF to RF

Lineup TBA
RHP Dan Hare
n

1. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Go, Dan! Go, NATS!!

2. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Wish I was going, but (sigh), work. Anyone gets an extra cap I'll take it off your hands…

3. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Gorgeous baseball weather! That, and the winning, are quite addicting. Hope they both continue. Think Vogelsong will be holding a grudge?

4. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Well, that didn't take long. Storen back up, Mattheus to Syracuse.

5. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Me, too, NL, but I have to get the house ready for guests.Welcome back to Druuu.

6. Steady Eddie - Aug 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM

NL — nor should it have. Per coaches' comments, Drew seems to have been applying himself in Syracuse, and while I liked Mattheus and his approach last year, since he's been back he's been like HRod at his worst (only without the wild pitches, but much more hittable). I wonder if his head has not gotten screwed back on right since his locker punch.

7. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM

It might not be Mattheus' head. It could be as simple as: he's still rusty on mechanics and/or getting the right "feel" in his hand after the injury. (–Wonk, who has been, and still has another 7days) on OBX. Thus my relative silence lately. I only have my phone for connectivity)GYFNG!!

8. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Another rehab stint that was too short. Have we ever had a player take enough time coming back? Then they struggle if course. Glad for Drew. Wish Tyler was with him.

9. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM

As Dan Haren said, this game humbles you. I remember Drew from the "profile," showing off his Bat-car, etc. He got the scare of his baseball life. Now come back Drew, take care of the 7th inning, or right-hand hitters, or whatever you are told. We got a streak going, let's keep it up.

10. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Meanwhile, lessee, guess we are Brewers and Pirates fans today. :)

11. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Desperation; spin.

12. Steady Eddie - Aug 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Wonk — admittedly Mattheus probably should have been down on rehab longer than 8 innings, but there's at least some head questions likely involved. His 7 hits given up in 8 innings was pretty close to his 57 in 66 innings last year; and while his 3 walks in SYR was higher, his 1.25 WHIP was not terrible. Of course this is miniscule sample size, but the point is that his rehab numbers don't suggest he had no touch, more perhaps that he was regaining it but lost his ability to replicate anything consistent once he came back up. Don't know what his full stats are since he returned but in his last 7 appearances, he gave up 7 H, 4ERs, and 4 BB in 5.1 innings. And that includes two clean, non-meltdown innings vs the Phillies on Friday and the Brewers the week before (not the toughest of assignments), and two hit-and-a-walk but no runs appearances, one a barely-survived it inning against the Barves where Desi's heads-up play to catch Uggla bailed him out.Suggests, like his minors stint, that he has some of his mechanics back but can't focus at all consistently — and especially against decent-hitting teams — to replicate them.

13. Another_Sam - Aug 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Any insiders going this afternoon?

14. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Wish I was– great weather. I will be tuned in and hoping to hear a Druuuuuuu.

15. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Sam, I can't go but according to comments some are going to meet at picnic tables behind 312 (I think) before game.

16. 3on2out - Aug 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Nats Lady…I should be there early enough to get a cap. It will be yours. I'll keep you posted.

17. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2013 at 6:44 PM

TY 3on2out! I missed the Opening Day cap this year.

18. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I think we should add Erik bedard from Astros, if available for cheap. maybe we can trade mattheus for him.

19. Holden Baroque - Aug 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM

A-Sam, confirming what 1a says, several folks in other threads have said so. Alas I am not one if them, but I will tuck it up in this time zone."If it ain't baroque, don't fixate."

20. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I am watching the replay from last night. McCatty was really giving it to Mattheus for not following some instruction. It a fine line they walk.Even though Werth solid the last month Clip MVP for the season as of now.

21. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 7:11 PM

glad to know drew is up!

22. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM

btw bedard suggestion was in regards to 5th starter or lefty reliever after jordan is shut down or abad is optioned to minors.

23. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Not unreasonable.

24. Another_Sam - Aug 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I'm at 312 now. I'm the knowledgeable, good looking, and fit guy. You can't miss me.

25. 3on2out - Aug 15, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Nats Lady:Got one. It's got your name on it! Well…the Nats part anyway.

26. JD - Aug 15, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Faraz, I think Jordan only has 1 game left. Correct?

27. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I think they are hoping big O will slide into that spot.

28. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Cal Ripken getting the itch to manage in the majors.

29. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM

1 or 2 depending on how he looks.

30. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I heard that and he has been around Nats Patk a lot. Any chance?

31. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:02 PM

JD, I think so.Swami, Isn't big O injured?

32. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I wonder how Os fans would feel about that if Ripken lands Nats job next season.

33. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:09 PM

then again frank robinson and davey also are ex-Os so they probably wouldn't care much.

34. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Big O is on the DL but finishing up with his rehab starts. It is my understanding that they are planning on swapping the two.

35. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Could Harper have gotten to that ball?

36. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Joyce not giving outside pitch. ( and they were outside) but hit the corner, dont go right over the middle.

37. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM

On a do or die possibily. But first inning let it drop.

38. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Today goes a long way in that chart that Chase did on Suzuki catching Haren. MLB Network did the same story on Yadier vs the other Cardinals catchers. The ERA disparities were enormous.

39. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

27 pitch first inning, but 0 runs.Lets get on the board the board easily.

40. David Proctor - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

whew

41. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Seems like all of our pitchers have long adventures in the first inning.

42. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Please Nats, don't go a quick 1,2,3.

43. dabassguy1 - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM

These are my favorite uniforms.

44. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Not sure if valid, but it seems Span runs faster in the field, then on the bases.

45. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Let's hope they are lucky. We go to ATL tonight.

46. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Last night it was second inning. Zim was fast in the first.

47. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I know Davey doesn't like steals, but Span had huge numbers in Minnesota. Here- not so much.

48. Section 222 - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Today goes a long way in that chart that Chase did on Suzuki catching Haren. So if the Giants had scored in the first, that would have proved that Ramos is a better game-caller than Zuki?But I guess that would be balanced by the fact that Zuki caught last night's 7 inning, 1 run performance by Znn.Yeah right.

49. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Whoever the hitting coach is next needs to work on identifying pitches better. We swing at a lot of breaking balls as if they are fast balls, and let way too many fastballs go over the plate unswung at. We rarely swing and miss at a fast ball in the zone.

50. paul brandt - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:33 PM

thanks Joyce for that blown call but come on Rendon!

51. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Damn Jim Joyce then damn Rendon.Tons of extra pitches after not calling an obvious strike ,3.That was easy call not sure how he missed.Then Boche calls for a hit and run. So the mistake only cost 1 pitch.

52. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM

We see eye to eye there.

53. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Well, thank you, Bruce Bochy. Why the patriotic unis? Didn't hear the pre-game.

54. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Jayson Werth–golf anyone?

55. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Dont bunt in the air.

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Molina 0 for 4 .326 so werth would be in second now.

57. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

NL- no one did the laundry? I do know that a lot of international youth teams are in the park.

58. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:47 PM

On a 3-2 ount and Werth moving he would score, but 2-2 not running, Trent holdin Werth right call.

59. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I really like Rendon.

60. Less Platu - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Now that the Nats are on a five game winning streak, I wonder the Charter Members of the Legion of Doom have to say now.Manassas, Swami, Procter were so gloom and doom a couple of games ago while they were busy — very busy — trashing Werth — of all Nats to trash – Jayson Werth. If those three plus their many Legions of Doom can trash our hottest player and best player, there is no hope for them — Some hope for us would be for them to become Orioles fans — or better yet, Braves fans. What say you Doomers?

61. Alphabet Soup Erik - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Should have sent Werth…Jewett has to know the odds of him scoring are better than a pitcher getting a hit.

62. Less Platu - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Prediction: The Nats will get within 2 games of the wildcard — minimum. Do they win it? I guess we'll see.GYFNG!

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Come on Joyce play fair. Strike 3 to Blanco was in the zone. Strike to Haren was outside.Call it correctly, not just loudly.

64. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I am about as far doom and gloom as they come, you must read me well.I the one assume tgey will go 162-0. Proctor and Swami are also among tge possitive.I dont where you have been reafing

65. Alphabet Soup Erik - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Less Platu must already be drunk…Playoffs??? Playoffs??? Playoffs???

66. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Excuse me, but I have never, ever trashed Jayson Werth. Not even in his first season. I love that guy. I happened to be in Philadelphia last week and off of this grid, just gloating up a storm to my Pa relatives who miss him terribly.

67. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I assume they will be in the playoffs easily. The last 50 games will be just like tge Dodgers present last 50 games.

68. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Nice job Dan!

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Playoffs if we play last 50 games as Dodgers have the past 50 games, pkayoffs is very reasonable.

70. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… I dont where you have been reafingFor once one of your funny spellings make sense. Yes, where has he been reafing?

71. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM

hope Drew has learned to hold runners down.

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM

He also trashing Werth Tuesday night, and I believe he takes factual statements and says it is trashing.I have been talking division championship all season. Not sure how I got lumped as Legion of doom.been assume a win every game.

73. Nats106 - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Less Platu, gotta agree with Manassas on this. If anything, he's too positive in his predictions. David Proctor is as well, sometimes chastizing me (and others) for my negativity, particularly when I return home from a game the Nats lost but should have won.Just returned from St Louis, and Cardinal fans are all lamenting their season-I told them to re-check the standing and while at it, take a look at the wild card scenario.

74. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Faraz Shaikh said… hope Drew has learned to hold runners down. August 15, 2013 5:01 PM To me, the key is not allowing baserunners to get on base.

75. Alphabet Soup Erik - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM

What the hell has happened to Harper…he has been awful for the majority of this season.

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I expect to win evety game and assume they will every game.I never predict negative futures unfortunstely know it could happen.I do discuss negative that happen, but generally predict how it will be fixed.

77. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM

He not identifying pitches that are not fast balls well, ad is swibging at them as if they are fastballs.He needs to just work on swinging at non fastballs at the correct time and pkace. If you have to lunge to swing you dont.His average on fast balls is ptobably quite fine.This is all fixible with correct coaching.

78. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Desi

79. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

For those Desi bashers that keep harping on him for the RBIs, there's 3 between yesterday and today so far!

80. Section 222 - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

To me, the key is not allowing baserunners to get on base.Right. So which is more likely — that Drew never gives up another hit or walk, or that he is now capable of holding runners on and not letting them stroll to the next base with no fear of being caught? Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the answer to that question. And if he was able to correct this problem in the 2 1/2 weeks since he was sent down, that raises the following question: Why wasn't he able to correct it over the off season, or in spring training, or in the four months of the regular season? It's not like the team didn't know that he was dreadfully slow to the plate and tended to completely lose track of baserunners when under pressure. Game 5 anyone?

81. Nats106 - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Yeah baby. Werth aggressive got us two.

82. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Oh LaRoche, I hate 3-0 swings and that was a blooper that found grass.

83. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Desi now tied with Jay Bruce with 33 doubles. For second place. Mstt Carpenter 2b for Cards has 40.

84. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I am loving these at bats. Even Harper's . Grinding. Bryce is weak from illness and the wearing of the season and his knee is shaky at best. Doing it on pure guts.

85. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM

In general I agree, but with fast balls over the middle msybe. That 87 mph fast ball was on outside easy to place in left.

86. David Proctor - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I'm honestly skeptical Bryce was ever sick from illness, Swami. Reporters and even FP said they talked to him that day and he seemed fine. And he took BP and looked good. I think Davey made that up as an excuse to give him the day off vs the lefty and not make him look bad.

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Harper once he can recognize breaking balls and lay off immediately, will be the great player we hope.

88. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Even if Davey made it up, it is ok with me.

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Come on Dan we need a shut down inning.

90. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM

David, agreed. It's the easy excuse a Manager uses when they want to sit a guy.

91. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I am so confused. Davey says hit aggressively. That means swing at the first pitch to me- one pitch outs. What I see now is patient hitting. It is totally different and seems to be more effective. But then, as evidenced by the previous post, can you ever understand what Davey says? Which is this- aggressive or patient? I want this kind please.

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Span killing Giants in the field like Gomaz kills us.

93. David Proctor - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Swing aggressively doesn't mean swing at the first pitch, Swami. It means swing at the first pitch IF it's a good pitch to hit. Don't take fastballs right down the middle. He wants people to be "patiently aggressive." That means wait for your pitch and when you get it, hit it. If it's the first pitch, hit it. If it's the 10th pitch, hit it.

94. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Haren maybe becomes the designated bunter. I've hated when Davey brings in a position player just to bunt as a pinch-hitter.

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Aggtressive means first fastball in your hot zone, not just first strike anywhere. At least that is how I use it coaching.

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:35 PM

My explanation similar to yours

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Livo was. Desinated bunter.

98. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Span just seems a step slower on the base pads than the field.

99. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:38 PM

David, good explanation but Schu also wants the batters to work it to their pitch that they can sit on and I think that's what is working better plus the adjustments they made with Jayson Werth on hands away from his body a little bit more with his elbow up a little more. Very subtle changes.Schu isn't trying to do any complete overhauls but I think it all starts with confidence. The Nats went on that offensive run last year after the Colorado series.This year has been the tale of many prolonged slumps by several players and the non-key hits.I look forward to larger sample sizes before I truly think this or that is working.

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM

The lefty coming in will throw Harper junk. Identify the junk and if you have to swing, dont swing like it is a fastball if indeed it is junk.

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:43 PM

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:44 PM

That was a fastball driven to left. That is the correct approach.2 for 7 RISP. Giants 0 for 1..

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Lead off walks. Followed by an error a recipe for disaster.

104. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… When first pitch is a fastball where you like it then swing.Schu's verbage is "hunting fastballs" August 15, 2013 5:43 PM Yes, hunting fastballs is a saying many have but it's also knowing pitchers tendencies where you can look for a certain pitch in a certain location.

105. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Good Job Dan getting around that. ERS 4.79.I knew when I kept saying he could pitch still earlier in the season , he would eventually cone through. Just took longer than I thought.

106. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Giants 0-3 with RISP. Nice pitching to get out of that mini jam.

107. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Another multi hit game.

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Carp a little slow on double report i mentioned right after the at bat

109. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM

That hasn't been a strike all day Joyce!

110. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Ian shakes head.Well swinging and missing at fastballs where you like was the real problem.

111. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM

It a strike to Haren, but not for Haren.

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Come on Dan get a hit.

113. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM

FP making the same comments on Werth that Dave Jaegler did in an earlier interview he did on the radio.

114. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM

2 for 10 RISP. 9 left on bas now.

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM

That carried a lot farther it looked like it was going.

116. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Andrew McCutcheon hit 2 against him on July 22

117. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Lay off the off speed pitches Bryce.

118. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I wish I trusted our bullpen more so Davey could take Haren out at 98 pitches. Oh, well.

119. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Nats need some clutch now to get that run back!

120. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Add on run please.

121. David Proctor - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Abad for the 7th. Consider me not thrilled.

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Desmond for next year is not to swing at all fastballs. Just ones in the strike zone and take your chances. The last pitch was 4+ inches inside.Lots of work for the coach and pkayers to work on.

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM

11 RISP tries but only 2 hits.

124. David Proctor - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Very nice inning for Abad.

125. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Abad takes care of the bottom of the order. Good job! Suzuki has to squeeze those easier foul tips.

126. David Proctor - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I suspect we see Clip for the 8th and then Storen closes the game out to give Soriano the night off.

127. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Wow hit him in the chest. Probably broken rib the way that was hit.

128. paul brandt - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:47 PM

wow, scary sh%t…hope he is ok.

129. paul brandt - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM

yea, Storen will get into the game, really hope he does well, he needs the confidence as do we in him.

130. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Would love to see the Nats get some of those add-on runs.

131. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Go Cip

132. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Torres just did what I totally coach against. Took an outside pitched and tried to pull. Almost a guarentee 4-3

133. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:59 PM

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM

One more. Need to get Belt right now.

135. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

No stealing second.

136. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… Rendon dove passed it his glove didnt have to go that far.It times like that you mis Espi but not at the plate. You have a short memory. If you recall Danny wasn't diving for balls because of the shoulder issue.

137. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Put him away.

138. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM

wow

139. paul brandt - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM

wow rendon!

140. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Yah, what say you now MNF? You guys just kill me with your stuff. Web Gem! Rendon!

141. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Rendon a much harder play.I was thinking Danny not injured as a 2b. Not tge recent Danny.

142. David Proctor - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Looks like Soriano for the 9th. I sure as hell hope he's better than that shit last night.

143. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Not sure what your impkying. He midses a fairly easy play and made a great.I commented on it.How does kill you?

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM

He has to be.

145. Holden Baroque - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Easy there Big D…

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Span does need to beat these little dinks out.

147. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM

148. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

MNF, It times like that you mis EspiNo, it was a tough play he didn't make. Just that simple. Don't need these constant ridiculous comparisons to Espinosa as if he makes that play. No he wouldn't because like I said Espinosa was not diving for balls because of the shoulder. End of story.

149. Section 222 - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I don't miss Danny in the least. Rendon has made great play after great play this series. And his arm is every bit as strong as Espi's. The one he missed last inning was not "fairly easy".

150. Holden Baroque - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Okeh, tucking it up way out here, boss …

151. BigCat - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Ok. Here we go. "Full Pack" Soriano

152. BigCat - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Get him out of there now. Why no lefty up. Krol?

153. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Faraz Shaikh said… GoSM, there is no argument that uninjured Danny is as much better than Rendon as he is better than Espinosa at the plate. Agree with that.

154. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:14 PM

difference is soriano does not start nibbling all of a sudden.

155. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

that flyball scared me for a second.

156. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Ghost, I brought up Desi's lack of RBI's since July 1st,( before last night and today),as a curious stat, but an accurate stat. I also stated how many things that he leads the team. So what, I'm a " Desi basher" for mentioning it?

157. Section 222 - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Ghost and Faraz, you don't really believe that there is as much of a difference in fielding between Rendon and Espi as there is in hitting do you? That's crazy. I'll concede that Espi is the better 2B. But not by that much and Rendon is getting better and better.

158. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM

come on, that was a strike.

159. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM

TUCK ME!

160. David Proctor - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM

wow

161. Section 222 - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Holy crap.

162. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM

unbelievable !

163. BigCat - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Kiss my ass!!

164. paul brandt - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Soriano…i can't believe you did that!

165. mick - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Soriano is GARBAGE!If he was worth a darn-, he would have rebounded last night and won this battle today…he has stunk since the All star break and his 31 saves do not mean jack he is not a National and will never be one…what a bum!

166. JaneB - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

OMG. He blew up again. I wish we cold clone Clip.

167. paul brandt - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

thank you Ray, he's not a closer right now…if not for Span it would be 2 in a row!!!!!!

168. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

When you walk and goof around you deserve that crap. He was ahead of all then stsrted pitching iff the pkate.But bigger pet peave came up again. Why do we always (and all teams do it) let people steal uncontested? Throw tge guy out stealing the game is over.All reams do it, and I cant undersyand it.

169. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Man, that's all tucked up, Soriano!

170. JaneB - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM

The MLB app alerted me to the the HR before it happened. They said 4-3 while the TV still said 1-3. And so I watched in horror knowing it was coming.

171. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM

It was bad approach followed with a bad pitch.

172. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM

wow what was that movement.

173. mick - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM

team could have had 6 straight and this clown who had the nerve to pull his shirt out last night after Span bailed his no account ass out just hurt the mind set of this teambum bum bum

174. David Proctor - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Wow

175. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Is luck leaving us now

176. mick - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I am so pissed off!

177. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

A walk is as bad as a double or a triple in that situation. Soriano simply doesn't understand the mathematics of baseball it would seem. He also seems to lack any knowledge of what kinds of balls are likely to go for homers.

178. paul brandt - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

mick is back from vaca

179. BigCat - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Yes N-lady. He is not long for his closer job. He doesn't have the stuff to be a closer. So he nibbles n nibbles. Get rid of him. Put his cash in a suitcase and send him to the airport. Pitiful

180. Depot Master - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Say what you will about Soriano (and I'm sure you will) but this game was lost by the Nats with the number of runners left on base.

181. Dan Strong - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Our bullpen is just a disaster.. Can they EVER hold a lead when it's given to them? Other than Clippard, these guys are a disgrace.

182. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Soriano tried to give last night away, and might succeed tonight though we have 2 outs still.

183. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:28 PM

This game was lost by Soriano. Notice how free and easy he got the third out. The guy is a choker.

184. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM

That is a foot outsidr.

185. David Proctor - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Soriano's problem is his slider. That's always been his strikeout pitch. This year, he's routinely hanging them. He can't even bury them in the dirt when the catcher asks for it there. Without the slider, all he has is a low 90s fastball. It's not good enough.

186. mick - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Werth should get in Soriano's face, not Gio's what a bum.I have never seen a pitcher who is at a disadvantage up 0-2 in a count until this piece of garbage!

187. mick - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

This is not Davey or Cat's fault it is Soriano's and he simply SUCKS!!!

188. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Lack of focud

189. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Notice who suddenly show ups on a give away. Where you uys when we are winning.

190. mick - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Paul…I am still at beach and have weighed in the past 2 nightsI should have stayed on the beach… Soriano is a loser…and i hope Werth calls his ass out…

191. paul brandt - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM

horrible, worst loss of the year, thanks Soriano! he is not good, sorry.

192. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM

maybe soriano was commemorating storen's return to big league. that is tough to digest.

193. Section 222 - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Mark is madly redoing the Instant Analysis. I feel for him.

194. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I would say since McCatty didnt bother to go out I will give him a little grief.

195. BigCat - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM

What is davey thinking. Bring krol in

196. mick - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:34 PM

MNFI weighed in yesterday from vacation and I along with 36,000 fanns have a right to be pissed there is NO DEFENSE for that piece of garbage last 2 nights. Span bailed his ass out last night and this bum could not come through for his team today! Plus, he had the nerve to pull his shirt out last night after his sorry disgrace performance, he had the nerve to blame Bryce back in May for a loss too..he is not a National, he is cast off from the classless Yankees and he has no class himselfBUM period!

197. mick - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Davey called it in post game last night he said his bullpen is hurting he ain't joking

198. BigCat - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Randy Knoor had the guts to yank soriano when he felt he didn't have it. In short relief you can't walk guys. Same ol crap from norv after game.

199. Depot Master - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Anyone here want Dan Haren back next year?