Aug 15, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
Game in a nutshell: The Nationals had this one in the bag up 3-1 in the top of the ninth with two outs and two strikes on consecutive batters. But a walk to Roger Kieschnick brought up Hector Sanchez who would then make Rafael Soriano pay on a 3-2 pitch, destroying it into the upper deck in right field to put the Giants up 4-3 and give Sergio Romo a chance to shut the door. The blown save, Soriano's fifth of the year, squandered yet another good start by Dan Haren who overcame a rocky, 27-pitch first inning to pitch six frames of one-run ball. The Nats struck early on Ryan Vogelsong with three runs in the third inning, but couldn't come up with anything more despite several chances. The end result was a loss to end their homestand, keeping them under the .500 mark at 59-61.
Hitting highlight: In the third inning the Nationals brought three runs across, all thanks to well-placed hits off Vogelsong. Denard Span kicked it off with a single to center field and, moments later, he and Jayson Werth were knocked home by a double to left-center by Ian Desmond. Adam LaRoche then dropped in a bloop single to left to plate Desmond. The rally helped knock Vogelsong out of the game after just 3 2/3 innings and 91 pitches, but later couldn't hold on for the victory.
Pitching highlight: Soriano took the mound in the top of the ninth seeking his 32nd save of the year, but on this particular day it was not meant to be. He allowed a leadoff single to Buster Posey and walked Roger Kieschnick with two outs. Sanchez then blasted a high flying homer to right field, a three-run shot to put the Giants ahead. It was a 3-2 pitch and Sanchez got a hold of it with just about all he had.
Read more »
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend