Aug 15, 2013, 7:32 PM EST
|Photo by USA Today|
Game in a nutshell: The Nationals had this one in the bag up 3-1 in the top of the ninth with two outs and two strikes on consecutive batters. But a walk to Roger Kieschnick brought up Hector Sanchez who would then make Rafael Soriano pay on a 3-2 pitch, destroying it into the upper deck in right field to put the Giants up 4-3 and give Sergio Romo a chance to shut the door. The blown save, Soriano's fifth of the year, squandered yet another good start by Dan Haren who overcame a rocky, 27-pitch first inning to pitch six frames of one-run ball. The Nats struck early on Ryan Vogelsong with three runs in the third inning, but couldn't come up with anything more despite several chances. The end result was a loss to end their homestand, keeping them under the .500 mark at 59-61.
Hitting highlight: In the third inning the Nationals brought three runs across, all thanks to well-placed hits off Vogelsong. Denard Span kicked it off with a single to center field and, moments later, he and Jayson Werth were knocked home by a double to left-center by Ian Desmond. Adam LaRoche then dropped in a bloop single to left to plate Desmond. The rally helped knock Vogelsong out of the game after just 3 2/3 innings and 91 pitches, but later couldn't hold on for the victory.
Pitching highlight: Soriano took the mound in the top of the ninth seeking his 32nd save of the year, but on this particular day it was not meant to be. He allowed a leadoff single to Buster Posey and walked Roger Kieschnick with two outs. Sanchez then blasted a high flying homer to right field, a three-run shot to put the Giants ahead. It was a 3-2 pitch and Sanchez got a hold of it with just about all he had.
Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies