Aug 15, 2013, 1:59 AM EST
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: Jordan Zimmermann's evening got off to a rocky start, but the Nationals took care of their right-hander by pouncing on Tim Lincecum for six runs, five of them coming in the bottom of the fourth. Zimmermann battled through his struggles to post seven innings of one-run ball, leaving the Nationals bullpen a 5-run lead with only six outs to record. That proved more of a challenge than anyone would have liked. Ian Krol served up a homer to Brandon Belt in the eighth. Ryan Mattheus then failed to retire any of the three batters he faced, forcing Davey Johnson to summon Tyler Clippard to put out the fire. Clippard, as he so often does, came through with two huge strikeouts. Rafael Soriano gave up a run with two outs in the ninth and put the tying runner on second but got a huge catch from Denard Span to end the game and finish off his 31st save, securing the Nationals' fifth straight victory. It's only the second time this year they've won five straight (the other came in early May). They'll go for the sweep tomorrow, with a chance to get back to the .500 mark.
Hitting highlight: Yes, the five-run fourth inning (in which the Nationals sent 10 men to the plate) was mighty impressive. But so, too, was Ian Desmond's solo blast in the bottom of the second. ItRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'