Aug 15, 2013, 1:59 AM EST
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: Jordan Zimmermann's evening got off to a rocky start, but the Nationals took care of their right-hander by pouncing on Tim Lincecum for six runs, five of them coming in the bottom of the fourth. Zimmermann battled through his struggles to post seven innings of one-run ball, leaving the Nationals bullpen a 5-run lead with only six outs to record. That proved more of a challenge than anyone would have liked. Ian Krol served up a homer to Brandon Belt in the eighth. Ryan Mattheus then failed to retire any of the three batters he faced, forcing Davey Johnson to summon Tyler Clippard to put out the fire. Clippard, as he so often does, came through with two huge strikeouts. Rafael Soriano gave up a run with two outs in the ninth and put the tying runner on second but got a huge catch from Denard Span to end the game and finish off his 31st save, securing the Nationals' fifth straight victory. It's only the second time this year they've won five straight (the other came in early May). They'll go for the sweep tomorrow, with a chance to get back to the .500 mark.
Hitting highlight: Yes, the five-run fourth inning (in which the Nationals sent 10 men to the plate) was mighty impressive. But so, too, was Ian Desmond's solo blast in the bottom of the second. ItRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Watch Werth arrive at jail in Fairfax to begin sentence
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos