Aug 15, 2013, 1:59 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: Jordan Zimmermann's evening got off to a rocky start, but the Nationals took care of their right-hander by pouncing on Tim Lincecum for six runs, five of them coming in the bottom of the fourth. Zimmermann battled through his struggles to post seven innings of one-run ball, leaving the Nationals bullpen a 5-run lead with only six outs to record. That proved more of a challenge than anyone would have liked. Ian Krol served up a homer to Brandon Belt in the eighth. Ryan Mattheus then failed to retire any of the three batters he faced, forcing Davey Johnson to summon Tyler Clippard to put out the fire. Clippard, as he so often does, came through with two huge strikeouts. Rafael Soriano gave up a run with two outs in the ninth and put the tying runner on second but got a huge catch from Denard Span to end the game and finish off his 31st save, securing the Nationals' fifth straight victory. It's only the second time this year they've won five straight (the other came in early May). They'll go for the sweep tomorrow, with a chance to get back to the .500 mark.
Hitting highlight: Yes, the five-run fourth inning (in which the Nationals sent 10 men to the plate) was mighty impressive. But so, too, was Ian Desmond's solo blast in the bottom of the second. ItRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup