Aug 15, 2013, 4:55 PM EST
|USA Today Sports Images|
Desperately in need of some late-inning relief help, the Nationals today recalled Drew Storen from Class AAA, optioning struggling right-hander Ryan Mattheus to Syracuse.
Storen, who had been demoted only three weeks ago, returned to Washington this morning and is available to pitch in this afternoon's series finale against the Giants.
The Nationals didn't intend to bring Storen back so soon, preferring the right-hander spent more time in Syracuse as part of an overhaul of both his mechanics and his mental approach. But with the big-league bullpen struggling mightily right now in spite of the club's five-game winning streak, general manager Mike Rizzo made the decision to bolster his relief corps with the only available option he had with a proven track record.
Storen was sent down three weeks ago after posting a 5.95 ERA in 47 games, a move made to clear space in the big-league bullpen for Mattheus, who was returning from a broken hand. Storen struggled in his first three outings in the minors, giving up four earned runs on seven hits, but he bounced back to toss three consecutive scoreless games without putting a runner on base.Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats