Aug 16, 2013, 10:48 PM EST
Game in a nutshell: The Braves jumped out to an early 2-0 lead on Taylor Jordan, though it wasn't the rookie right-hander's fault. Both runs were unearned after errors by Wilson Ramos and Anthony Rendon. Jordan did well to keep the damage right there, departing after six innings. The Nationals then chipped away at the Braves pitching staff. They scored one run in the fourth on a double-play grounder. They plated the tying run in the eighth after some fireworks: Bryce Harper, who was plunked two weeks ago by Julio Teheran, was twice hit by pitches tonight, including an eighth-inning fastball in the upper back from Luis Avilan. The crowd of 35,663 gave Avilan as he walked off the field, warnings having been issued to both dugouts by the umpires. Jayson Werth then exacted some justice with a two-out, RBI single, tying the game and leaving the outcome in the hands of both bullpens. Craig Stammen did his job with two scoreless innings, but the Nationals couldn't push home the go-ahead run against Craig Kimbrel in the top of the ninth. In came Drew Storen for his first appearance since his recall from Class AAA Syracuse, and Storen came through with a scoreless inning that included a big strikeout of Evan Gattis. Ian Krol was given the ball for the bottom of the 10th, but his night didn't last long. Justin Upton crushed a 2-2 pitch over the left-field fence to end this one and send the Nationals to another crushing loss.
Hitting lowlight: As has so often been the case this season, the Nationals had a few opportunities to plate runs, and theyRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies