Aug 17, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
ATLANTA — The Braves’ repeated plunkings of Bryce Harper are now preventing the Nationals star from taking the field.
Harper was scratched from tonight’s lineup with a bruised upper left arm, in the area where he was hit by Luis Avilan’s fastball during the eighth inning of Friday night’s loss at Turner Field, the third time he has been plunked in the Nationals’ last three games against Atlanta.
“I’m not happy with it,” manager Davey Johnson said today from his office next to the Nationals clubhouse. “I know everybody in that room is not happy with it.”
The Nationals have refrained from retaliating to this point, both because of specific game situations and because warnings were issued to both dugouts after Harper was hit, mandating automatic ejections and suspensions for pitchers and managers if there is a subsequent plunking.
Johnson, though, doesn’t expect any warnings to be issued at the start of tonight’s game. And while he insisted he wouldn’t call for any retaliation himself, the 70-year-old skipper suggested he wouldn’t be surprised if something did happen.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals grind their way to walk-off victory
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals