Aug 17, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
ATLANTA — The Braves’ repeated plunkings of Bryce Harper are now preventing the Nationals star from taking the field.
Harper was scratched from tonight’s lineup with a bruised upper left arm, in the area where he was hit by Luis Avilan’s fastball during the eighth inning of Friday night’s loss at Turner Field, the third time he has been plunked in the Nationals’ last three games against Atlanta.
“I’m not happy with it,” manager Davey Johnson said today from his office next to the Nationals clubhouse. “I know everybody in that room is not happy with it.”
The Nationals have refrained from retaliating to this point, both because of specific game situations and because warnings were issued to both dugouts after Harper was hit, mandating automatic ejections and suspensions for pitchers and managers if there is a subsequent plunking.
Johnson, though, doesn’t expect any warnings to be issued at the start of tonight’s game. And while he insisted he wouldn’t call for any retaliation himself, the 70-year-old skipper suggested he wouldn’t be surprised if something did happen.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Drew Storen
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC