Aug 17, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
ATLANTA — The Braves’ repeated plunkings of Bryce Harper are now preventing the Nationals star from taking the field.
Harper was scratched from tonight’s lineup with a bruised upper left arm, in the area where he was hit by Luis Avilan’s fastball during the eighth inning of Friday night’s loss at Turner Field, the third time he has been plunked in the Nationals’ last three games against Atlanta.
“I’m not happy with it,” manager Davey Johnson said today from his office next to the Nationals clubhouse. “I know everybody in that room is not happy with it.”
The Nationals have refrained from retaliating to this point, both because of specific game situations and because warnings were issued to both dugouts after Harper was hit, mandating automatic ejections and suspensions for pitchers and managers if there is a subsequent plunking.
Johnson, though, doesn’t expect any warnings to be issued at the start of tonight’s game. And while he insisted he wouldn’t call for any retaliation himself, the 70-year-old skipper suggested he wouldn’t be surprised if something did happen.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman