Aug 17, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
ATLANTA — The Nationals placed Taylor Jordan on the 15-day disabled list with a lower back strain, an injury that will lead the organization to enact its plan to shut down the rookie right-hander for the rest of the season.
Jordan pitched six strong innings Friday night against the Braves, allowed two unearned runs, and didn't note any physical ailments afterward, but manager Davey Johnson said the pitcher mentioned a problem with his back several days earlier and mentioned it again late Friday.
The Nationals had been planning all along to shut down Jordan before season's end, restricting his workload in his first full season back from Tommy John surgery. After Friday's start, his total innings count for the year (majors and minors combined) stands at 142.
Jordan won't be given an opportunity to add to that number thisRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1