Aug 17, 2013, 3:28 PM EDT
|Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER|
ATLANTA — It's another cold, rainy day here at Turner Field, and this time it could prevent baseball from being played. At the very least, it's supposed to drizzle all evening. At worst, it could be heavy enough to cause a delay or even postponement. We'll see.
If they do get started, all eyes will be on Stephen Strasburg as he takes the mound in the wake of Bryce Harper's three plunkings by Braves pitchers over the last 11 days. Will Strasburg retaliate, and if so, who gets to wear one of his fastballs? The safest bet would probably be Justin Upton, batting second tonight for Atlanta. But much could depend on how the umpires handle this, whether they issue warnings to both dugouts before the game even begins, which would lead to automatic ejections and future suspensions.
In other news, the Nationals just announced they've placed Taylor Jordan on the 15-day DL with a lower back strain and recalled Tyler Moore from Class AAA. Reading between the lines, this would suggest the Nats have decided to shut down Jordan after 142 innings. Ross Ohlendorf will be ready to return in four days and take his rotation spot. Until then, they'll have an extra position player in Moore, who had been raking at Syracuse. (Over his last 28 games, he was hitting .371 with seven homers and 31 RBI.)
Stay tuned for updates…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 9, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Showers, 68 degrees, Wind 10 mph in from RF
Bryce HarperDenard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?