Game 122: Nats at Braves

Aug 17, 2013, 3:28 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

ATLANTA — It's another cold, rainy day here at Turner Field, and this time it could prevent baseball from being played. At the very least, it's supposed to drizzle all evening. At worst, it could be heavy enough to cause a delay or even postponement. We'll see.

If they do get started, all eyes will be on Stephen Strasburg as he takes the mound in the wake of Bryce Harper's three plunkings by Braves pitchers over the last 11 days. Will Strasburg retaliate, and if so, who gets to wear one of his fastballs? The safest bet would probably be Justin Upton, batting second tonight for Atlanta. But much could depend on how the umpires handle this, whether they issue warnings to both dugouts before the game even begins, which would lead to automatic ejections and future suspensions.

In other news, the Nationals just announced they've placed Taylor Jordan on the 15-day DL with a lower back strain and recalled Tyler Moore from Class AAA. Reading between the lines, this would suggest the Nats have decided to shut down Jordan after 142 innings. Ross Ohlendorf will be ready to return in four days and take his rotation spot. Until then, they'll have an extra position player in Moore, who had been raking at Syracuse. (Over his last 28 games, he was hitting .371 with seven homers and 31 RBI.)

Stay tuned for updates…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 9, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Showers, 68 degrees, Wind 10 mph in from RF

CF Bryce Harper Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth

1. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I seriously hope he does not sit the bench for days on end and get cold. Let's use that hot bat!!!!!

2. Nats Fan 204 - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I think it was Mike Wallace, on Nat's Talk this morning who made the point that Gio should have plunked one of the Braves players the very next inning after Julio T. plunked Harper. A few years ago, wasn't there a pitcher on the Texas Rangers who consistently came up and in and hit opposing players? Didn't his own teammates get him to stop because they were tired of being plunked as a result of his tactics? Tonight will be interesting for SS. He says he wants to be seen as a mule. He doesn't like to being taken out of games when he has an ache. He didn't like Davey telling the press about the "icy hot" problem he experienced during a game. I hope that SS understands the situation facing him tonight. I also hope that MLB doesn't tell the umps to issue warnings before the game starts, as I am sure the Atlanta front office is lobbying for right now.

3. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Play Lombo in keft harper center and Moire 1b today please.

4. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM

All righties except Harper (lead-off) in the line-up. Seriously. Guess Davey gave up on the L/R/L/R thing for later in the game and decided it would be good to score runs early.

5. SonnyG10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Hmmmmm, rainy day? Let's play ball anyway. Plausable deniability. Opps, ump, the ball slipped out of my hand.

6. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Look at Mark's tweet. Says Harper could be scratched.

7. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Because what's to stop them from plunking Harper first, getting warnings, and then inserting a RHP? Or even switching up now, before it's official. They have an off-day Monday (I know, I'm getting paranoid…).

8. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Apparently Harper was wearing a patch on his shoulder from where he got HBP and was in some pain. If that injured him, I'm going to be absolutely livid.That's probably not what it is, but…

9. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

My diabotical mibd was thibking the same thing.

10. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

If he is hurt from the HBP I hope there is WAR and I don't care if 25 guys get suspended. Then let the Atlanta scum throw trash on the field and forfeit the game.

11. ptindc - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Mine too!

12. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM

James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP 6mFredi Gonzalez doubles down. Says there was nothing intentional against Bryce Harper. "It's unfortunate. I love the way he plays the game."Yeah, right. And what about Teheran?

13. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM

This situation is so disgusting. Fredi Gonzalez is issuing denials. How about play the game the right way? I wish the umps would eject the fans. But when they come back here, I don't want our fans to act like them.

14. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM

This will lead to warnings before the game, you watch and that will really tick me off. It's just one of those years.

15. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:29 PM

If warnings are issued before the game, maybe Strasburg can miss and hit the Home Plate Umpire…I'm not being serious. But warnings issued before the game would be completely ridiculous.

16. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Harper's scratched.

17. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM

You can be assured the Braves brass is lobbying for it. Just hope they get the game in given the weather.

18. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM

That takes a lot of drama out of things.To be 20 again.

19. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Maybe the rain will keep some of the evil ones away.

20. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Bad news re. Harper, he must be really hurt because I am sure he wanted some revenge the right way, between the lines.

21. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I wonder if there was concern that " fans" might throw things from the stands. Let things simmer down tonight? I want Stras to pitch his butt off tonight.

22. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Warnings before the game would be absolutely appropriate. Everyone knows tempers are running hot and escalation is possible, especially with Harper knocked out of this game. It would be irresponsible not to try to deter further injuries. Harper's injury shows the stupidity and danger of plunking wars. And anyone who thinks this wouldn't have happened if only Gio had hit someone in retaliation the day Teheran first hit Harper (getting himself and Davey ejected and probably causing a melee with uncertain and possibly catastrophic results) you're living in a dream world. MLB needs to step in and stop this stuff. The teams and players can't effectively police themselves. The unwritten rules and the "code" aren't working. Enough is enough.

23. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I guess according to Section 222, we should just continue to allow our star player to be plunked and injured. I'm sure he really appreciates that sentiment. I agreed with you at first Sec 222, but enough is enough. They keep hitting him. The Nationals have to stand up for their player. Sometimes you have to fight back, even if it's not ideal.

24. UnkyD - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Disagree, Deuces… Pre game warning effectively takes "high and tight" away from our power pitcher, which would STINK. Let 'em play!

25. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM

222, you are entitled to your opinion & you have repeated it a few times but most here disagree with you. I hope the warning comes after Justin Upton takes a 97mph heater to the ribs from SS in the first inning and then Teheran gets his tomorrow. Would never advocate for what their guy did yesterday when he threw at Harper's head but the back, legs, ribs, absolutely, and it's coming.

26. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Mark Zuckerman ‏@ZuckermanCSN 14sDavey says Harper scratched with bruised upper R arm. It's where he was plunked last night.Unbelievable

27. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I know I am being a total wussy chicken, but I am kind of relieved that Bryce will be safe in the dugout. I think rain will wreak havoc with the game and attendance. Tonight needs to be a step back from the cliff. Emotionally I want revenge, in reality I want our guys to win the game – just no shenanigans please.

28. pwilly - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Nats pitchers haven't done anything to warrant a warning. The umps know what the score is and won't throw Stras out when he smokes J Upton.

29. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

DP, have a hard time believing an arm bruise is keeping Harp out of this one. Hope it is just a bruise but he has played through worse injuries but maybe its some type of deep bone bruise, the guy did throw it 91-92+. Selig won't, but should do something here…3 times in 11 days is egregious.

30. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Trying so hard to be reasonable- just want to punch someone in the face. Wonder what the mood is on the team

31. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM

swami, don't punch a locker or if you do, don't use your pitching hand!!!

32. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I kind of hope Tyler Moore takes out an infielder.

33. SonnyG10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Would never advocate for what their guy did yesterday when he threw at Harper's head but the back, legs, ribs, absolutely, and it's coming.Paul, I agree except, if legs, stay well above knee.

34. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM

James Wagner‏@JamesWagnerWPBryce Harper initially wanted to play but back of his arm, where he was hit yesterday, hurt while swinging in the cages.Apparently he couldn't get it loose.Davey implied that retribution would be coming, but it wouldn't be on his orders. "We have a way of protecting our own."

35. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Haha– I won't go all Mattheus!! Maybe a pillow.

36. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Sonny, totally agree meant to include "but not the knees"…good point.

37. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Someone just tweeted that we will know something is up when Tyler Moore takes the mound as the starting pitcher!!! Anyone think we might just get rained out?

38. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM

DP, thanks, makes sense. Maybe he van PH late if needed??

39. SonnyG10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Davey implied that retribution would be coming, but it wouldn't be on his orders. "We have a way of protecting our own."Thanks for that tidbit David. I feel better now. I was afraid they were not going to protect Bryce.

40. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I guess according to Section 222, we should just continue to allow our star player to be plunked and injured. I'm sure he really appreciates that sentiment. DP, I'm surprised at you since you showed some restraint at first. Neither you nor anyone else has explained how plunking and perhaps injuring another player will "protect" ours. It's just pure retribution at this point and it's pointless, dangerous and wrong. Maybe Harper has bought into this code stuff or maybe he hasn't. I hope not. He's better than that.pb, you're right I've expressed my position a few times. I hope you're not suggesting that i should stop, since all the folks on the other side, including you, have expressed yours way more often. I'm disappointed that so many people who I respect and like are in favor of violent retribution. You might think that Harper having to miss this game would impress upon them how wrong throwing at people under any circumstances is. But no, everyone seems even more bloodthirsty. As if it would be some kind of justice to knock Justin Upton out for a few games. That's just mindboggling. You'd be all over Phillies or Braves fans if they were suggesting the same thing in an analogous situation. With all the ink spilled over this in the past 18 hours, no one has made any kind of convincing case that retaliation and escalation would prevent further attacks on our players. That's the problem with your view. This "code" that everyone keeps talking about with such reverence and insisting must be invoked just satisfies your lowest instincts. It didn't protect Harper at the beginning of the month and it didn't protect him last night.

41. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM

They don't have to knock Upton out for a few games. They just have to plunk him. He takes his base and it's over, unless the Braves choose to escalate things. That's how it worked with Hamels, that's how it's worked from the beginning in baseball. It's the umpires mucking things up by issuing warnings too soon that has caused all these problems.

42. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Why cant we have both?

43. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Patricia Francis ‏@Oceans1156 8m@NatsLady Actually on Sirius MLB show today, Kevin Kennedy suggested that as a calculated strategy. Hit him rather giving him a shot at a HR

44. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM

If Span is playing why is he leading off? Bat him 8th against a lefty on the road.

45. Nats Fan 204 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM

From an article in Red Fever Jan. 2013Remember Vicente Padilla?.Padilla was hated by many of his own teammates and famously has continued feuds with many of his former Rangers teammates, most notably Mark Teixeira, who he plunked this past season as a member of the Boston Red Sox and set the New York Yankees first baseman off. Many of his former teammates accused of him getting them hit by opposing pitchers as payback for Padilla hitting batters.Padilla is taking his talents to Japan, where he has signed a one-year deal worth a reported $3.25 million to pitch for the SoftBank Hawks.

46. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM

You never know when a plunking will end up injuring the hitter — Harper being out of the lineup tonight shows that better than anything else. Or it starts a bench clearing brawl where the pitcher ends up with a broken collarbone. Have we learned nothing since the stone ages? JZnn retaliated against Hamels for throwing at Harper, and yet Teheran threw at Harper. What? Does the code not work? The threat of retaliation didn't deter him? How could that be? I'm glad the umps issue warnings. That's the only thing that seems to affect behavior.

47. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM

48. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Huh? No Phillie has thrown at Harper since the Hamels incident, that I know of. Different team. Different pitcher. Different season. 222, you are making very little sense.

49. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM

pb, you're right I've expressed my position a few times. I hope you're not suggesting that i should stop…222, absolutely not, I would never suggest anyone stop expressing their opinion on this or any other issue especially you who I enjoy reading and generally agree with.in your last sentence of the post you talked of the "code" and "It didn't protect Harper at the beginning of the month and it didn't protect him last night.the reason is because we didn't do anything about it!!! Had we done so, it would have been over by now and last night does not happen.Just like when Hamels hit Bryce as a stupid welcome to the MLB gesture and 20 minutes later Jzimnn hit Hamels, it ended right there…someone else made that excellent point earlier today. The fact that we let it go on this long without retaliation is the problem, we should have taken care of it 11 days ago.Its not "bloodthirsty" as this has been going on in baseball for 100 or so years and its always worked itself out among the players.If you do nothing like we have done, it will continue to happen to Harper. All of MLB wants us to take care of business and we will, the fact that we haven't yet is disturbing but we will, that I can guarantee.We can agree to disagree, 222 but keep on posting, you bring great insight.Hope this game is over by the 6th round, I mean inning.

50. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:59 PM

"David Proctor said… JZimm threw at Hamels and the Phillies didn't throw at Harper anymore. It was over. It did work."At least 100 posts on plunkings. 222 has to repeat himself a dozen times. Heard it. Thanks. The Braves are playing bullies. Its gone much to far. Time to drill one of the Barves hard. If a warning has been issued, it cant be Strasburg and needs to be someone like Abad who is expendeble.

51. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM

not to change the subject but it makes me ill to watch A-Rod continue to play baseball, take your punishment so we don't have to watch you for 200 or so games.

52. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

53. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

"Reading between the lines, this would suggest the Nats have decided to shut down Jordan after 142 innings."Wasn't there a shutdown pool going. 142 innings appears to be the winner.

54. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

For the record Nats128, I expressed my anti-retaliation views last night in the Instant Analysis post once. That post had 125 comments, not all about plunking of course. In this morning's post, which had 99 comments, most of which were about plunking and vengeance, I commented twice. And I've made three comments out of the 50 so far in this post. But don't let the facts get in the way of your personal attacks.

55. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM

"paul brandt said… 128, bring up Bryce's brother Bryan to start the game, he will take care of business."That will be the only way he makes the Majors unless he bro comps him for box seats.

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM

You dont get hurt if hit correctly.

57. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM

222, cut your whining. There was no personal attack. You are wrong on the subject. The Braves are pushing it and its unfortunate. The Nats only have one choice. You dont understand that. What can I say.

58. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I had 146 so i didnt win.

59. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM

MNF, good guess. I had 120.

60. karlkolchak - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM

61. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM

There is a plan

62. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I like that nickname A-fraud.I see Tajada got a 105 game suspensiob for taken a substance that he had a waiver to take, that he forgot to get an extension for.

64. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Sorry you have to read comments with which you disagree 128. I'm not sure it's not first time though. You'll get over it I'm sure. And I'll keep posting whenever I feel like it.

65. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM

A one day call up of Bryan Harper. Hmmmm. No command, no problem. We have beat this into the ground. It remains to be seen how things will go from here. From the over the top stuff on twitter, I don't think I would go to Turner Field or encourage any one else to go there. I will be glad to see the Nats at Wrigley.

66. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM

67. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM

karlkolchak said…paul brandt – I actually love to see A-Fraud playing and hope he never serves his suspension–since every game he does plays costs the Yankees about $154,000.great point k-chack, I stand corrected!I have heard some other nicknames for him that also start with A but don't end in "fraud" but rather something you dig.

68. JD - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM

222 and swamiIf the Bats pitchers don't take a stand 2 things will happen:1) Harper will charge the mound and that's when bad things can really happen.2) Harper will lose respect for his teammates and that will be hard to repair.If Stars plunks Upton Fredi will end it because he won't want to risk serious injury to his stars going into the playoffs.Sorry guys.that's how it works.

69. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM

"Knoxville Nat said… 222,I respect your thoughts and your posts here but you really are over reacting to 128's comments. I read nothing in his posts that smacks of a personal attack towards you or anyone else here."I appriciate that. Some people like playing the martyr.The Braves have gone way to far and now Bryce is hurt. I would go in on the hands of a Brave star and if it breaks a bone it goes back to playground rules "You hit me and I will hit you harder". They started this fight and it should have ended 2 weeks ago. Now they have continued it. Its not going to be pretty and glad Tyler Moore is here has the Nats could use an extra big man.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Seen Nats once @ Wriggley. Brian Schneider hit a game winning homer in the 12th

71. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM

It works that over 100 years

72. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM

JD, there you go. Thats how bad its got to.

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I am not for injuring anyone, but all for messae sending.

74. oldthirdsacker - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Good thing I'm not managing….I'd start someone else until McCann came up and he'd get a fastball in the ribs. He's the one that called for the first hit. Then bring in Stras.

75. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM

"Manassas Nats' Fan said… I am not for injuring anyone,"Im not for head hunting however I have no problem coming in on the hands. If it breaks a wrist thats the risk Freddi and his Braves put themselves in. Throwing 95 up behind Bryce could have hit him in the neck and it didnt miss by much.

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I am for 98 in the ribs to Upton

77. JD - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM

BTWI firmly believe that Harper got hit twice last night because the Bats didn't end it 2 weeks ago.I am not sure why a team which is leading its division by 15 games is escalating this fight but they certainly are. If they happen to lose Upton for a long period it will be on Fredi.

78. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM

"Manassas Nats' Fan said… I am for 98 in the ribs to Upton" You realize calling for a rib shot can catch a arm or wrist and break a bone.

79. djinFl. - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Seems to me if a Brave is hit tonight a number of posters will cheer the way the fans in Atlanta did last night.Remember how much we liked that.Just start beating these guys.

80. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM

"JD said… If they happen to lose Upton for a long period it will be on Fredi."Thats what Ive been sayin.

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Then blame Avlian and Tehran.

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I will not cheer, but will feel satisfied they are protecting Bryce.There is a difference.

83. Nats Fan 204 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

About 30 minutes ago, the radio host Mark Gray on 106.7fm just told an interesting story. According to Mr. Gray, back in the early 1990's as Atlanta was moving from the doormat of the NL west to a powerhouse in the NL East, John Schuerholz, the new GM of the Atlanta Braves signed free agent Terry Pendelton formerly of the the St. Louis Cardinals. During one of his early years with the Braves, one of the Braves hitters was drilled by the opposing pitcher. Terry Pendelton was playing third base at the time. When his teammate/pitcher did not immediately take care of the situation/retaliate, Terry Pendelton left the field of play. Bobby Cox, had to put in a substitute. Perhaps his fiery attitude played a part in turning the Braves attitude around. Perhaps he is playing a part in giving the Braves' players their edge now. Perhaps Mr. Rizzo should consider someone of Mr. Pendelton's ilk such as Matt Williams or even Mr. Pendelton himself to interview for the job of manager of the Nats.

84. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

FYI despite tge early hour Davey has already screwed up. Spa should be batting 7th or 8th.

85. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM

If they happen to lose Upton for a long periodListen to yourselves. Thanks for the dose of sanity djinFL

86. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM

222, none of us will be cheering a plunking. Thats the differerence. Its simple baseball retribution.

87. UnkyD - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Hyperbole doesn't necessarily = personal attack. In fact, there's really very little on this site, day to day, that needs to be taken personally. I really appreciate the restraint, in general, that we have shown each other, in this very disappointing, frustrating season… I still read most posts and comments, but I'm not inclined to "mix it up" in my frustration (or rather, I AM so inclined, but would rather not be that guy!). I'm just glad I'm not an Atlanta fan….

88. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM

We need to get off to a fast start, slow starts against the Braves has not worked out well.

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM

That is an interesting comnentary from FP.

90. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM

222, I hope you are listening to FP

91. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM

FP "rubbing your nose in it". Exactly FP.

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Athletes think one way . You must show no fear.

93. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Sec 222 said:Thanks Knoxville. He said this: "At least 100 posts on plunkings. 222 has to repeat himself a dozen times. Heard it. Thanks." That seemed unfair as well as factually inaccurate. Whether it was a personal attack or not, it was certainly a suggestion that he felt I was posting too much on this topic. Maybe it was just his way of saying he's not interested in hearing an opposing view. But it's a free country.Unfair? I just think 128 was trying to use some hyperbole to suggest that, in his opinion anyway, that maybe there were enough posts on this topic. I don't happen to agree with him but I could understand where he was coming from. And you may be correct in saying "….he's not interested in hearing an opposing view."If he is not interested he should do as I do with certain posters, just skip over them. Nothing wrong with that approach.

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Tim NcCarver saud Bob Gibson always had teammates back.

95. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. 25 guys on that roster know the unwritten " rules" and they also know the consequences. They live and work together. Whatever they decide to do or not do, it's up to them.

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Delaywd 10 minutes

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:13 PM

As I said we need a Jason Marquis type tonight who has his teammate's back.

98. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Didn't get to hear FP's comments as I am blacked out from MASN. Braves announcers seem to think something will happen tonight but remind their viewers that the two teams still play each other in September.I can't stand Chip Carey or the other guy (name unknown), Tom Glavine is meh.

99. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM

KNoxville, FP went on a rant that he couldnt believe whats going on and the Nats still hadnt plunked a Brave. FP got many random messages and one of the more intersting ones was from a guy who asked if the Nats werent retaliating becuz they didnt like Bryce. That is sad.

100. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I think Minor hits someone first so that warnings are issued before Stras gets up.

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Basically said friends from around the league wondered if Nats players didnt like Harper as none of the pitchers have defended Harper.

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I told Big Cat that on my pre gane conference call.

103. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Span beat something out!

104. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Span needed that. He hasnt beat out many of those lately.

105. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Simmons took his time. His tgrow was great, but to slow to set up. Thanks.

106. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Span moved on that. RISP time. 14 for 90 for the year vs. Braves. .155

107. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Nats with a big chance to get on the Braves early

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Ump making up calls now, ball way inside a strike?

109. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Then a k on a ball way low.

110. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Ryan had 2 things he had to do there and couldnt do either. Thats where a strikeout is a bad out. Didnt move the runners up with no outs.

111. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM

With a man on second less than 2 outs all k are bad

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Three 3-2 counts and Zim should have had a 3-2 count. Ian patiebce

113. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Zim may be done for the night. Hope he has ice on that leg.

114. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Way to start Denard! Great AB.The ump is awful so far! Deuces, I just want you to know that overall I agree with your sentiments. That said, when I played men's fastpitch, where the ball is thrown faster, and harder,from 12 feet closer,retaliation was part of the game. I hated it as a player, especially when I got hit, and I hate it as a fan. But I about guarantee you there will be some form of retaliation. It is a matter of pride and sending a message.

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

How in the hell span out

116. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Bad execution.

117. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Span with the speed….

118. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Buffalo!

119. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Better execution!!!!

120. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

128/MNF…..that is something I had never considered. I can't begin to think that his teammates don't like him.On the other hand ever since A-Fraud came back I have been thinking that someone would plunk him just because. Sort of their way to punish him for his continued PED use. I also wonder if his teammates would back him or do they hate him as much as many others do?

121. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Span had a small lead at 3rd and hesitated on contact. Bad running play. Seen that to many times from him.Nice job by Ramos. Picks up Ryan Z and Span.

122. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Way to go Ramos! Not bashing Desmond, but that was an awful at bat by Ian.

123. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Buffalo

124. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Ian crappy hit. Buffalo solid hit.Tyler first chabce back and a lazy fly, but then again ALR would probably not done better.

125. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Game on.

126. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM

There should be consequences for wrongful actions.Let's see what happens.

127. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

You all blame Span, who I agree had a hesitation, but seriously, we're lucky that Desmond's weak contact wasn't an inning ending double play.

128. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

or do you trust in a just universe

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Hairston slowed up way too early.

130. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Span is not as fast as he used to be. With his playing style, that is a big issue offensively….

131. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Wow! Hairston stopped. What was that about?

132. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Hairston cant get the foul ball and there you go with 2nd chances.

133. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM

don't give a hot team too many chances.

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Thanks Hairston. Lackof conviction on the catch

135. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Intentional ?

136. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

There you go. Upton got it. Thanks Stephen.

137. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

That's what I'm talking about!Thank you, Jesus.

138. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Well, now, helluva shot by Heyward. Put that one on Hairston.Everybody happy now?

139. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Issue the warnings.

140. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

jeffwx, no, the ball slipped.

141. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Why are the Tomahawks booing…what a bad baaseball town

142. JaneB - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:47 PM

THANK YOU STRAS! Thank you.

143. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Exactly, 128I was using sarcasm that doesn't work well in blog world.Better way to get even is to get even and win

144. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Strasburg hit Upton in a fair place. I like how he did it on the 1st pitch as to not get his pitch count up.

145. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM

@jeffwx: Atlanta is not just a bad baseball town. It is a terrible sports city, and terrible city period. Old South that never really got it. Just a sprawling Gary, Ind., with humidity, if you ask my opinion. With 1,506 streets named Peachtree.

146. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM

nice job SS, you just matured beyond your years & earned a ton of respect with that one throw…now, end of story!!move on and win the game!!!!!

147. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM

well done!!!!!!!!!!!!

148. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Will Fredie move on ?

149. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Jesus says don't blame that on him….

150. Dave - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM

97 MPH two-seam fastball to Upton. All done now. Good job, Stras.

151. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Unlike Northern VA, Sunshine, where there must be Another 1506 variations of Glebe Rd.

152. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

excellent Stras!!! well done…I get a kick at how the red neck fan trash in Atlanta has the NERVE to boo…i will never understand inbred life in the Southlol

153. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Hairston really pi$$ed me off on the play in left. Make up for it,will you Scott?

154. waddu eye no - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Just a sprawling Gary, Ind., with humidity,love it. gyfng

155. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

and by the way braves fans….General Sherman is my hero ha ha ha

156. Dave - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM

@jeffwx, if Fredi doesn't move on, he's ejected from the game. The warnings were given.

157. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM

hope the Nats stomp these clowns tonight

158. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM

paul brandt said…I hope the warning comes after Justin Upton takes a 97mph heater to the ribs from SS in the first inning and then Teheran gets his tomorrow. Would never advocate for what their guy did yesterday when he threw at Harper's head but the back, legs, ribs, absolutely, and it's coming.August 17, 2013 4:59 PM ok, i am not about tooting my own horn but…not sure if i got the velocity right tho…haha.

159. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM

A most arrogant bunch of fatheads full of entitlement and anti-American(Native) sentiment.

160. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM

jeffwxwell said!!!

161. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Darn, why didn't he hit Heyward instead?Ok, now that everyone has that out of their system, can we actually win a baseball game against the Braves tonight? It's been way too long.

162. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM

agreed Dave, just wonder if he'll wait till the next series.I'm starting a protest…Stop the Tomahawk.But it looks like someone beat me to ithttp://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/5/1/4292152/yeah-the-tomahawk-chop-bugs-me-heres-why

163. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I'm not sure, but I think Span has had a total of 18 pitches in his two AB's.

164. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Rendon really on the plate.Watch out

165. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Suprizing. Nats get a call and Rendon takes the base.

166. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I am officially in the "Span as a 4th outfielder" camp.

167. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM

And who are your three starters, Jack. I disagree before you even answer.

168. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Still not pleased with Hairston. He gave up on the foul before Hayward homered.

169. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM

To my way of thinking Bernadina is the only other quality outfielder on the team and he doesn't hit any better then Span. Moore and Lombo don't belong in a ML outfield, period.

170. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Werth!

171. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Werth for prez!

172. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Werth it!

173. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Jayson Werth!

174. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Werth While!

175. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Best way to shut up those clowns in the stands. Hope Desi can get a hit here and keep the line moving.

176. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Werth While Werewolf of Washington!

177. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:14 PM

not Werthless!

178. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Joe. I'm talking next season.

179. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Net Werth!

180. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM

jeffwx said…Werth While Werewolf of Washington!August 17, 2013 8:14 PMjeff wins!

181. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Give me Chin Soo Choo in left and move Bryce to center.

182. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM

And JoeS, I agree with your assessment on our OF situation. If not Span, then who? We don't have any real good alternatives on the 25 man roster and I don't see anyone in the minors ready to step up.

183. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Rminer's pitch not bad but Wert hit better.

184. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM

"NatsJack in Florida said… I am officially in the "Span as a 4th outfielder" camp."Just curious. Why.

185. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Choo? How much do you think it would cost to sign him and how many years? I don't know Jack, he's what 33 or 34 already?

186. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Werth appeared to be adjusting a small brace under his pants on the knee

187. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…Werth appeared to be adjusting a small brace under his pants on the kneeAugust 17, 2013 8:18 PMhope he keeps doing it b/c its working.

188. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Shoo. 3 years, 13 per.

189. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM

It's not a brace, but I believe Werth has been wearing a kneepad ever since his knee bruise.

190. BigCat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM

They hit Harper twice intentionally and put him out. I'd get upton again….upper back. He was smiling going to first after stra grazed him. Either that or the little Latin pitcher that started all this

191. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM

4 pitch walk? come on SS and now a WP?!

192. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Choo is 31

193. Amr Khani - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Carpenter with some amazing analysis. Desmond has most of his RBI when he gets hits with runners in scoring position!

194. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

What in the world?

195. TexNat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Agree, NatsJack. That or they have to move Laroche to make room for another bat in the infield (or both). It will be easier to find an outfield bat than an infield one.

196. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

It is crap like this that makes me wonder about Strasburg's make up.

197. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

What's up with Strasburg?

198. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Are you kidding me?

199. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Marvin Hudson is from Atlanta.

200. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Those werent imtentional, if so ge did a bad job. Just hit him.