Game 122: Nats at Braves

Aug 17, 2013, 3:28 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

ATLANTA — It's another cold, rainy day here at Turner Field, and this time it could prevent baseball from being played. At the very least, it's supposed to drizzle all evening. At worst, it could be heavy enough to cause a delay or even postponement. We'll see.

If they do get started, all eyes will be on Stephen Strasburg as he takes the mound in the wake of Bryce Harper's three plunkings by Braves pitchers over the last 11 days. Will Strasburg retaliate, and if so, who gets to wear one of his fastballs? The safest bet would probably be Justin Upton, batting second tonight for Atlanta. But much could depend on how the umpires handle this, whether they issue warnings to both dugouts before the game even begins, which would lead to automatic ejections and future suspensions.

In other news, the Nationals just announced they've placed Taylor Jordan on the 15-day DL with a lower back strain and recalled Tyler Moore from Class AAA. Reading between the lines, this would suggest the Nats have decided to shut down Jordan after 142 innings. Ross Ohlendorf will be ready to return in four days and take his rotation spot. Until then, they'll have an extra position player in Moore, who had been raking at Syracuse. (Over his last 28 games, he was hitting .371 with seven homers and 31 RBI.)

Stay tuned for updates…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 9, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Showers, 68 degrees, Wind 10 mph in from RF

CF Bryce Harper Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth

1. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I seriously hope he does not sit the bench for days on end and get cold. Let's use that hot bat!!!!!

2. Nats Fan 204 - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I think it was Mike Wallace, on Nat's Talk this morning who made the point that Gio should have plunked one of the Braves players the very next inning after Julio T. plunked Harper. A few years ago, wasn't there a pitcher on the Texas Rangers who consistently came up and in and hit opposing players? Didn't his own teammates get him to stop because they were tired of being plunked as a result of his tactics? Tonight will be interesting for SS. He says he wants to be seen as a mule. He doesn't like to being taken out of games when he has an ache. He didn't like Davey telling the press about the "icy hot" problem he experienced during a game. I hope that SS understands the situation facing him tonight. I also hope that MLB doesn't tell the umps to issue warnings before the game starts, as I am sure the Atlanta front office is lobbying for right now.

3. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Play Lombo in keft harper center and Moire 1b today please.

4. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM

All righties except Harper (lead-off) in the line-up. Seriously. Guess Davey gave up on the L/R/L/R thing for later in the game and decided it would be good to score runs early.

5. SonnyG10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Hmmmmm, rainy day? Let's play ball anyway. Plausable deniability. Opps, ump, the ball slipped out of my hand.

6. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Look at Mark's tweet. Says Harper could be scratched.

7. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Because what's to stop them from plunking Harper first, getting warnings, and then inserting a RHP? Or even switching up now, before it's official. They have an off-day Monday (I know, I'm getting paranoid…).

8. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Apparently Harper was wearing a patch on his shoulder from where he got HBP and was in some pain. If that injured him, I'm going to be absolutely livid.That's probably not what it is, but…

9. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

My diabotical mibd was thibking the same thing.

10. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

If he is hurt from the HBP I hope there is WAR and I don't care if 25 guys get suspended. Then let the Atlanta scum throw trash on the field and forfeit the game.

11. ptindc - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Mine too!

12. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM

James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP 6mFredi Gonzalez doubles down. Says there was nothing intentional against Bryce Harper. "It's unfortunate. I love the way he plays the game."Yeah, right. And what about Teheran?

13. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM

This situation is so disgusting. Fredi Gonzalez is issuing denials. How about play the game the right way? I wish the umps would eject the fans. But when they come back here, I don't want our fans to act like them.

14. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM

This will lead to warnings before the game, you watch and that will really tick me off. It's just one of those years.

15. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:29 PM

If warnings are issued before the game, maybe Strasburg can miss and hit the Home Plate Umpire…I'm not being serious. But warnings issued before the game would be completely ridiculous.

16. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Harper's scratched.

17. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM

You can be assured the Braves brass is lobbying for it. Just hope they get the game in given the weather.

18. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM

That takes a lot of drama out of things.To be 20 again.

19. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Maybe the rain will keep some of the evil ones away.

20. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Bad news re. Harper, he must be really hurt because I am sure he wanted some revenge the right way, between the lines.

21. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I wonder if there was concern that " fans" might throw things from the stands. Let things simmer down tonight? I want Stras to pitch his butt off tonight.

22. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Warnings before the game would be absolutely appropriate. Everyone knows tempers are running hot and escalation is possible, especially with Harper knocked out of this game. It would be irresponsible not to try to deter further injuries. Harper's injury shows the stupidity and danger of plunking wars. And anyone who thinks this wouldn't have happened if only Gio had hit someone in retaliation the day Teheran first hit Harper (getting himself and Davey ejected and probably causing a melee with uncertain and possibly catastrophic results) you're living in a dream world. MLB needs to step in and stop this stuff. The teams and players can't effectively police themselves. The unwritten rules and the "code" aren't working. Enough is enough.

23. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I guess according to Section 222, we should just continue to allow our star player to be plunked and injured. I'm sure he really appreciates that sentiment. I agreed with you at first Sec 222, but enough is enough. They keep hitting him. The Nationals have to stand up for their player. Sometimes you have to fight back, even if it's not ideal.

24. UnkyD - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Disagree, Deuces… Pre game warning effectively takes "high and tight" away from our power pitcher, which would STINK. Let 'em play!

25. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM

222, you are entitled to your opinion & you have repeated it a few times but most here disagree with you. I hope the warning comes after Justin Upton takes a 97mph heater to the ribs from SS in the first inning and then Teheran gets his tomorrow. Would never advocate for what their guy did yesterday when he threw at Harper's head but the back, legs, ribs, absolutely, and it's coming.

26. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Mark Zuckerman ‏@ZuckermanCSN 14sDavey says Harper scratched with bruised upper R arm. It's where he was plunked last night.Unbelievable

27. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I know I am being a total wussy chicken, but I am kind of relieved that Bryce will be safe in the dugout. I think rain will wreak havoc with the game and attendance. Tonight needs to be a step back from the cliff. Emotionally I want revenge, in reality I want our guys to win the game – just no shenanigans please.

28. pwilly - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Nats pitchers haven't done anything to warrant a warning. The umps know what the score is and won't throw Stras out when he smokes J Upton.

29. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

DP, have a hard time believing an arm bruise is keeping Harp out of this one. Hope it is just a bruise but he has played through worse injuries but maybe its some type of deep bone bruise, the guy did throw it 91-92+. Selig won't, but should do something here…3 times in 11 days is egregious.

30. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Trying so hard to be reasonable- just want to punch someone in the face. Wonder what the mood is on the team

31. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM

swami, don't punch a locker or if you do, don't use your pitching hand!!!

32. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I kind of hope Tyler Moore takes out an infielder.

33. SonnyG10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Would never advocate for what their guy did yesterday when he threw at Harper's head but the back, legs, ribs, absolutely, and it's coming.Paul, I agree except, if legs, stay well above knee.

34. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM

James Wagner‏@JamesWagnerWPBryce Harper initially wanted to play but back of his arm, where he was hit yesterday, hurt while swinging in the cages.Apparently he couldn't get it loose.Davey implied that retribution would be coming, but it wouldn't be on his orders. "We have a way of protecting our own."

35. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Haha– I won't go all Mattheus!! Maybe a pillow.

36. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Sonny, totally agree meant to include "but not the knees"…good point.

37. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Someone just tweeted that we will know something is up when Tyler Moore takes the mound as the starting pitcher!!! Anyone think we might just get rained out?

38. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM

DP, thanks, makes sense. Maybe he van PH late if needed??

39. SonnyG10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Davey implied that retribution would be coming, but it wouldn't be on his orders. "We have a way of protecting our own."Thanks for that tidbit David. I feel better now. I was afraid they were not going to protect Bryce.

40. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I guess according to Section 222, we should just continue to allow our star player to be plunked and injured. I'm sure he really appreciates that sentiment. DP, I'm surprised at you since you showed some restraint at first. Neither you nor anyone else has explained how plunking and perhaps injuring another player will "protect" ours. It's just pure retribution at this point and it's pointless, dangerous and wrong. Maybe Harper has bought into this code stuff or maybe he hasn't. I hope not. He's better than that.pb, you're right I've expressed my position a few times. I hope you're not suggesting that i should stop, since all the folks on the other side, including you, have expressed yours way more often. I'm disappointed that so many people who I respect and like are in favor of violent retribution. You might think that Harper having to miss this game would impress upon them how wrong throwing at people under any circumstances is. But no, everyone seems even more bloodthirsty. As if it would be some kind of justice to knock Justin Upton out for a few games. That's just mindboggling. You'd be all over Phillies or Braves fans if they were suggesting the same thing in an analogous situation. With all the ink spilled over this in the past 18 hours, no one has made any kind of convincing case that retaliation and escalation would prevent further attacks on our players. That's the problem with your view. This "code" that everyone keeps talking about with such reverence and insisting must be invoked just satisfies your lowest instincts. It didn't protect Harper at the beginning of the month and it didn't protect him last night.

41. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM

They don't have to knock Upton out for a few games. They just have to plunk him. He takes his base and it's over, unless the Braves choose to escalate things. That's how it worked with Hamels, that's how it's worked from the beginning in baseball. It's the umpires mucking things up by issuing warnings too soon that has caused all these problems.

42. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Why cant we have both?

43. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Patricia Francis ‏@Oceans1156 8m@NatsLady Actually on Sirius MLB show today, Kevin Kennedy suggested that as a calculated strategy. Hit him rather giving him a shot at a HR

44. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM

If Span is playing why is he leading off? Bat him 8th against a lefty on the road.

45. Nats Fan 204 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM

From an article in Red Fever Jan. 2013Remember Vicente Padilla?.Padilla was hated by many of his own teammates and famously has continued feuds with many of his former Rangers teammates, most notably Mark Teixeira, who he plunked this past season as a member of the Boston Red Sox and set the New York Yankees first baseman off. Many of his former teammates accused of him getting them hit by opposing pitchers as payback for Padilla hitting batters.Padilla is taking his talents to Japan, where he has signed a one-year deal worth a reported $3.25 million to pitch for the SoftBank Hawks.

46. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM

You never know when a plunking will end up injuring the hitter — Harper being out of the lineup tonight shows that better than anything else. Or it starts a bench clearing brawl where the pitcher ends up with a broken collarbone. Have we learned nothing since the stone ages? JZnn retaliated against Hamels for throwing at Harper, and yet Teheran threw at Harper. What? Does the code not work? The threat of retaliation didn't deter him? How could that be? I'm glad the umps issue warnings. That's the only thing that seems to affect behavior.

47. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM

48. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Huh? No Phillie has thrown at Harper since the Hamels incident, that I know of. Different team. Different pitcher. Different season. 222, you are making very little sense.

49. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM

pb, you're right I've expressed my position a few times. I hope you're not suggesting that i should stop…222, absolutely not, I would never suggest anyone stop expressing their opinion on this or any other issue especially you who I enjoy reading and generally agree with.in your last sentence of the post you talked of the "code" and "It didn't protect Harper at the beginning of the month and it didn't protect him last night.the reason is because we didn't do anything about it!!! Had we done so, it would have been over by now and last night does not happen.Just like when Hamels hit Bryce as a stupid welcome to the MLB gesture and 20 minutes later Jzimnn hit Hamels, it ended right there…someone else made that excellent point earlier today. The fact that we let it go on this long without retaliation is the problem, we should have taken care of it 11 days ago.Its not "bloodthirsty" as this has been going on in baseball for 100 or so years and its always worked itself out among the players.If you do nothing like we have done, it will continue to happen to Harper. All of MLB wants us to take care of business and we will, the fact that we haven't yet is disturbing but we will, that I can guarantee.We can agree to disagree, 222 but keep on posting, you bring great insight.Hope this game is over by the 6th round, I mean inning.

50. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:59 PM

"David Proctor said… JZimm threw at Hamels and the Phillies didn't throw at Harper anymore. It was over. It did work."At least 100 posts on plunkings. 222 has to repeat himself a dozen times. Heard it. Thanks. The Braves are playing bullies. Its gone much to far. Time to drill one of the Barves hard. If a warning has been issued, it cant be Strasburg and needs to be someone like Abad who is expendeble.

51. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM

not to change the subject but it makes me ill to watch A-Rod continue to play baseball, take your punishment so we don't have to watch you for 200 or so games.

52. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

53. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

"Reading between the lines, this would suggest the Nats have decided to shut down Jordan after 142 innings."Wasn't there a shutdown pool going. 142 innings appears to be the winner.

54. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

For the record Nats128, I expressed my anti-retaliation views last night in the Instant Analysis post once. That post had 125 comments, not all about plunking of course. In this morning's post, which had 99 comments, most of which were about plunking and vengeance, I commented twice. And I've made three comments out of the 50 so far in this post. But don't let the facts get in the way of your personal attacks.

55. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM

"paul brandt said… 128, bring up Bryce's brother Bryan to start the game, he will take care of business."That will be the only way he makes the Majors unless he bro comps him for box seats.

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM

You dont get hurt if hit correctly.

57. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM

222, cut your whining. There was no personal attack. You are wrong on the subject. The Braves are pushing it and its unfortunate. The Nats only have one choice. You dont understand that. What can I say.

58. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I had 146 so i didnt win.

59. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM

MNF, good guess. I had 120.

60. karlkolchak - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM

61. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM

There is a plan

62. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I like that nickname A-fraud.I see Tajada got a 105 game suspensiob for taken a substance that he had a waiver to take, that he forgot to get an extension for.

64. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Sorry you have to read comments with which you disagree 128. I'm not sure it's not first time though. You'll get over it I'm sure. And I'll keep posting whenever I feel like it.

65. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM

A one day call up of Bryan Harper. Hmmmm. No command, no problem. We have beat this into the ground. It remains to be seen how things will go from here. From the over the top stuff on twitter, I don't think I would go to Turner Field or encourage any one else to go there. I will be glad to see the Nats at Wrigley.

66. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM

67. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM

karlkolchak said…paul brandt – I actually love to see A-Fraud playing and hope he never serves his suspension–since every game he does plays costs the Yankees about $154,000.great point k-chack, I stand corrected!I have heard some other nicknames for him that also start with A but don't end in "fraud" but rather something you dig.

68. JD - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM

222 and swamiIf the Bats pitchers don't take a stand 2 things will happen:1) Harper will charge the mound and that's when bad things can really happen.2) Harper will lose respect for his teammates and that will be hard to repair.If Stars plunks Upton Fredi will end it because he won't want to risk serious injury to his stars going into the playoffs.Sorry guys.that's how it works.

69. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM

"Knoxville Nat said… 222,I respect your thoughts and your posts here but you really are over reacting to 128's comments. I read nothing in his posts that smacks of a personal attack towards you or anyone else here."I appriciate that. Some people like playing the martyr.The Braves have gone way to far and now Bryce is hurt. I would go in on the hands of a Brave star and if it breaks a bone it goes back to playground rules "You hit me and I will hit you harder". They started this fight and it should have ended 2 weeks ago. Now they have continued it. Its not going to be pretty and glad Tyler Moore is here has the Nats could use an extra big man.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Seen Nats once @ Wriggley. Brian Schneider hit a game winning homer in the 12th

71. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM

It works that over 100 years

72. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM

JD, there you go. Thats how bad its got to.

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I am not for injuring anyone, but all for messae sending.

74. oldthirdsacker - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Good thing I'm not managing….I'd start someone else until McCann came up and he'd get a fastball in the ribs. He's the one that called for the first hit. Then bring in Stras.

75. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM

"Manassas Nats' Fan said… I am not for injuring anyone,"Im not for head hunting however I have no problem coming in on the hands. If it breaks a wrist thats the risk Freddi and his Braves put themselves in. Throwing 95 up behind Bryce could have hit him in the neck and it didnt miss by much.

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I am for 98 in the ribs to Upton

77. JD - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM

BTWI firmly believe that Harper got hit twice last night because the Bats didn't end it 2 weeks ago.I am not sure why a team which is leading its division by 15 games is escalating this fight but they certainly are. If they happen to lose Upton for a long period it will be on Fredi.

78. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM

"Manassas Nats' Fan said… I am for 98 in the ribs to Upton" You realize calling for a rib shot can catch a arm or wrist and break a bone.

79. djinFl. - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Seems to me if a Brave is hit tonight a number of posters will cheer the way the fans in Atlanta did last night.Remember how much we liked that.Just start beating these guys.

80. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM

"JD said… If they happen to lose Upton for a long period it will be on Fredi."Thats what Ive been sayin.

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Then blame Avlian and Tehran.

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I will not cheer, but will feel satisfied they are protecting Bryce.There is a difference.

83. Nats Fan 204 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

About 30 minutes ago, the radio host Mark Gray on 106.7fm just told an interesting story. According to Mr. Gray, back in the early 1990's as Atlanta was moving from the doormat of the NL west to a powerhouse in the NL East, John Schuerholz, the new GM of the Atlanta Braves signed free agent Terry Pendelton formerly of the the St. Louis Cardinals. During one of his early years with the Braves, one of the Braves hitters was drilled by the opposing pitcher. Terry Pendelton was playing third base at the time. When his teammate/pitcher did not immediately take care of the situation/retaliate, Terry Pendelton left the field of play. Bobby Cox, had to put in a substitute. Perhaps his fiery attitude played a part in turning the Braves attitude around. Perhaps he is playing a part in giving the Braves' players their edge now. Perhaps Mr. Rizzo should consider someone of Mr. Pendelton's ilk such as Matt Williams or even Mr. Pendelton himself to interview for the job of manager of the Nats.

84. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

FYI despite tge early hour Davey has already screwed up. Spa should be batting 7th or 8th.

85. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM

If they happen to lose Upton for a long periodListen to yourselves. Thanks for the dose of sanity djinFL

86. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM

222, none of us will be cheering a plunking. Thats the differerence. Its simple baseball retribution.

87. UnkyD - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Hyperbole doesn't necessarily = personal attack. In fact, there's really very little on this site, day to day, that needs to be taken personally. I really appreciate the restraint, in general, that we have shown each other, in this very disappointing, frustrating season… I still read most posts and comments, but I'm not inclined to "mix it up" in my frustration (or rather, I AM so inclined, but would rather not be that guy!). I'm just glad I'm not an Atlanta fan….

88. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM

We need to get off to a fast start, slow starts against the Braves has not worked out well.

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM

That is an interesting comnentary from FP.

90. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM

222, I hope you are listening to FP

91. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM

FP "rubbing your nose in it". Exactly FP.

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Athletes think one way . You must show no fear.

93. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Sec 222 said:Thanks Knoxville. He said this: "At least 100 posts on plunkings. 222 has to repeat himself a dozen times. Heard it. Thanks." That seemed unfair as well as factually inaccurate. Whether it was a personal attack or not, it was certainly a suggestion that he felt I was posting too much on this topic. Maybe it was just his way of saying he's not interested in hearing an opposing view. But it's a free country.Unfair? I just think 128 was trying to use some hyperbole to suggest that, in his opinion anyway, that maybe there were enough posts on this topic. I don't happen to agree with him but I could understand where he was coming from. And you may be correct in saying "….he's not interested in hearing an opposing view."If he is not interested he should do as I do with certain posters, just skip over them. Nothing wrong with that approach.

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Tim NcCarver saud Bob Gibson always had teammates back.

95. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. 25 guys on that roster know the unwritten " rules" and they also know the consequences. They live and work together. Whatever they decide to do or not do, it's up to them.

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Delaywd 10 minutes

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:13 PM

As I said we need a Jason Marquis type tonight who has his teammate's back.

98. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Didn't get to hear FP's comments as I am blacked out from MASN. Braves announcers seem to think something will happen tonight but remind their viewers that the two teams still play each other in September.I can't stand Chip Carey or the other guy (name unknown), Tom Glavine is meh.

99. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM

KNoxville, FP went on a rant that he couldnt believe whats going on and the Nats still hadnt plunked a Brave. FP got many random messages and one of the more intersting ones was from a guy who asked if the Nats werent retaliating becuz they didnt like Bryce. That is sad.

100. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I think Minor hits someone first so that warnings are issued before Stras gets up.

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Basically said friends from around the league wondered if Nats players didnt like Harper as none of the pitchers have defended Harper.

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I told Big Cat that on my pre gane conference call.

103. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Span beat something out!

104. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Span needed that. He hasnt beat out many of those lately.

105. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Simmons took his time. His tgrow was great, but to slow to set up. Thanks.

106. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Span moved on that. RISP time. 14 for 90 for the year vs. Braves. .155

107. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Nats with a big chance to get on the Braves early

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Ump making up calls now, ball way inside a strike?

109. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Then a k on a ball way low.

110. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Ryan had 2 things he had to do there and couldnt do either. Thats where a strikeout is a bad out. Didnt move the runners up with no outs.

111. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM

With a man on second less than 2 outs all k are bad

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Three 3-2 counts and Zim should have had a 3-2 count. Ian patiebce

113. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Zim may be done for the night. Hope he has ice on that leg.

114. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Way to start Denard! Great AB.The ump is awful so far! Deuces, I just want you to know that overall I agree with your sentiments. That said, when I played men's fastpitch, where the ball is thrown faster, and harder,from 12 feet closer,retaliation was part of the game. I hated it as a player, especially when I got hit, and I hate it as a fan. But I about guarantee you there will be some form of retaliation. It is a matter of pride and sending a message.

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

How in the hell span out

116. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Bad execution.

117. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Span with the speed….

118. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Buffalo!

119. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Better execution!!!!

120. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

128/MNF…..that is something I had never considered. I can't begin to think that his teammates don't like him.On the other hand ever since A-Fraud came back I have been thinking that someone would plunk him just because. Sort of their way to punish him for his continued PED use. I also wonder if his teammates would back him or do they hate him as much as many others do?

121. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Span had a small lead at 3rd and hesitated on contact. Bad running play. Seen that to many times from him.Nice job by Ramos. Picks up Ryan Z and Span.

122. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Way to go Ramos! Not bashing Desmond, but that was an awful at bat by Ian.

123. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Buffalo

124. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Ian crappy hit. Buffalo solid hit.Tyler first chabce back and a lazy fly, but then again ALR would probably not done better.

125. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Game on.

126. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM

There should be consequences for wrongful actions.Let's see what happens.

127. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

You all blame Span, who I agree had a hesitation, but seriously, we're lucky that Desmond's weak contact wasn't an inning ending double play.

128. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

or do you trust in a just universe

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Hairston slowed up way too early.

130. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Span is not as fast as he used to be. With his playing style, that is a big issue offensively….

131. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Wow! Hairston stopped. What was that about?

132. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Hairston cant get the foul ball and there you go with 2nd chances.

133. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM

don't give a hot team too many chances.

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Thanks Hairston. Lackof conviction on the catch

135. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Intentional ?

136. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

There you go. Upton got it. Thanks Stephen.

137. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

That's what I'm talking about!Thank you, Jesus.

138. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Well, now, helluva shot by Heyward. Put that one on Hairston.Everybody happy now?

139. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Issue the warnings.

140. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

jeffwx, no, the ball slipped.

141. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Why are the Tomahawks booing…what a bad baaseball town

142. JaneB - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:47 PM

THANK YOU STRAS! Thank you.

143. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Exactly, 128I was using sarcasm that doesn't work well in blog world.Better way to get even is to get even and win

144. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Strasburg hit Upton in a fair place. I like how he did it on the 1st pitch as to not get his pitch count up.

145. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM

@jeffwx: Atlanta is not just a bad baseball town. It is a terrible sports city, and terrible city period. Old South that never really got it. Just a sprawling Gary, Ind., with humidity, if you ask my opinion. With 1,506 streets named Peachtree.

146. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM

nice job SS, you just matured beyond your years & earned a ton of respect with that one throw…now, end of story!!move on and win the game!!!!!

147. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM

well done!!!!!!!!!!!!

148. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Will Fredie move on ?

149. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Jesus says don't blame that on him….

150. Dave - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM

97 MPH two-seam fastball to Upton. All done now. Good job, Stras.

151. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Unlike Northern VA, Sunshine, where there must be Another 1506 variations of Glebe Rd.

152. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

excellent Stras!!! well done…I get a kick at how the red neck fan trash in Atlanta has the NERVE to boo…i will never understand inbred life in the Southlol

153. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Hairston really pi$$ed me off on the play in left. Make up for it,will you Scott?

154. waddu eye no - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Just a sprawling Gary, Ind., with humidity,love it. gyfng

155. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

and by the way braves fans….General Sherman is my hero ha ha ha

156. Dave - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM

@jeffwx, if Fredi doesn't move on, he's ejected from the game. The warnings were given.

157. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM

hope the Nats stomp these clowns tonight

158. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM

paul brandt said…I hope the warning comes after Justin Upton takes a 97mph heater to the ribs from SS in the first inning and then Teheran gets his tomorrow. Would never advocate for what their guy did yesterday when he threw at Harper's head but the back, legs, ribs, absolutely, and it's coming.August 17, 2013 4:59 PM ok, i am not about tooting my own horn but…not sure if i got the velocity right tho…haha.

159. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM

A most arrogant bunch of fatheads full of entitlement and anti-American(Native) sentiment.

160. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM

jeffwxwell said!!!

161. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Darn, why didn't he hit Heyward instead?Ok, now that everyone has that out of their system, can we actually win a baseball game against the Braves tonight? It's been way too long.

162. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM

agreed Dave, just wonder if he'll wait till the next series.I'm starting a protest…Stop the Tomahawk.But it looks like someone beat me to ithttp://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/5/1/4292152/yeah-the-tomahawk-chop-bugs-me-heres-why

163. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I'm not sure, but I think Span has had a total of 18 pitches in his two AB's.

164. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Rendon really on the plate.Watch out

165. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Suprizing. Nats get a call and Rendon takes the base.

166. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I am officially in the "Span as a 4th outfielder" camp.

167. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM

And who are your three starters, Jack. I disagree before you even answer.

168. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Still not pleased with Hairston. He gave up on the foul before Hayward homered.

169. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM

To my way of thinking Bernadina is the only other quality outfielder on the team and he doesn't hit any better then Span. Moore and Lombo don't belong in a ML outfield, period.

170. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Werth!

171. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Werth for prez!

172. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Werth it!

173. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Jayson Werth!

174. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Werth While!

175. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Best way to shut up those clowns in the stands. Hope Desi can get a hit here and keep the line moving.

176. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Werth While Werewolf of Washington!

177. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:14 PM

not Werthless!

178. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Joe. I'm talking next season.

179. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Net Werth!

180. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM

jeffwx said…Werth While Werewolf of Washington!August 17, 2013 8:14 PMjeff wins!

181. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Give me Chin Soo Choo in left and move Bryce to center.

182. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM

And JoeS, I agree with your assessment on our OF situation. If not Span, then who? We don't have any real good alternatives on the 25 man roster and I don't see anyone in the minors ready to step up.

183. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Rminer's pitch not bad but Wert hit better.

184. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM

"NatsJack in Florida said… I am officially in the "Span as a 4th outfielder" camp."Just curious. Why.

185. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Choo? How much do you think it would cost to sign him and how many years? I don't know Jack, he's what 33 or 34 already?

186. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Werth appeared to be adjusting a small brace under his pants on the knee

187. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…Werth appeared to be adjusting a small brace under his pants on the kneeAugust 17, 2013 8:18 PMhope he keeps doing it b/c its working.

188. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Shoo. 3 years, 13 per.

189. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM

It's not a brace, but I believe Werth has been wearing a kneepad ever since his knee bruise.

190. BigCat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM

They hit Harper twice intentionally and put him out. I'd get upton again….upper back. He was smiling going to first after stra grazed him. Either that or the little Latin pitcher that started all this

191. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM

4 pitch walk? come on SS and now a WP?!

192. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Choo is 31

193. Amr Khani - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Carpenter with some amazing analysis. Desmond has most of his RBI when he gets hits with runners in scoring position!

194. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

What in the world?

195. TexNat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Agree, NatsJack. That or they have to move Laroche to make room for another bat in the infield (or both). It will be easier to find an outfield bat than an infield one.

196. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

It is crap like this that makes me wonder about Strasburg's make up.

197. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

What's up with Strasburg?

198. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Are you kidding me?

199. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Marvin Hudson is from Atlanta.

200. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Those werent imtentional, if so ge did a bad job. Just hit him.

201. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM

WTF?

202. TexNat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Following on gamecast, somebody tell me what in the world just happened? Did Stras throw behind the guy or something?

203. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM

A bullpen that sure cant afford to pitch like this. What the ****?

204. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM

OK. I understand and I'm OK with it as long as the Nats win.

205. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM

TexNat, 3 wild pitches. 1 in the LH batters box and 2 way behind Simmons. Not close to hitting him.

206. TexNat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Sending a message or just totally lost his release point or something?

207. Unknown - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Let's hope Roark can eat up about 4 innings.

208. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM

the little Latin pitcher that started all thisThe comments on this issue have been revealing, that's for sure.So, because he hit Upton, warnings are issued. And when he gets bizarrely wild, he gets tossed. Karma anyone?

209. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM

It's getting weirder…

210. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM

211. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM

4 pitch walk than 3 straight wild pitches. Crazy crazy.

212. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

It is the perfect crime. You walk the guy on purpose and then get 3 pitches to scare the …. out of the other team before you get tossed. Just wild is all … Wink, wink….

213. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM

If you've been paying attention, you'd know that Strasburg loses control of at least one pitch a game that ends up going right through the right hand batters box at head level. Often it's a left-handed batter up at the time, so no one pays it any mind.So it's either that or he's discovering his inner Dock Ellis.

214. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

is our team DYSFUNCTIONAL???what the f was going on?? every time I praise them, they do something so stupid that it leaves one speechless. Some one explain what the F Stras did…if it was accidental then Stras is simply a head case, if not and it was intentional, then Davey and this team are dumb mother fers period and they deserve to suck???

215. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM

craziest 2 innings of MLB I have ever seen and its not even over yet…what was SS doing? what is next?

216. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Jack, Chin Soo Choo? You know what my Aunt Rosie always said about wishing, wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one gets filled up first. I think Rizzo will stick with Span in CF next year.

217. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM

What diff does it make? Strasburg did what everyone wanted which was make several Braves fear for their lives…. Season is shot already anyhow.

218. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM

score was settled, up 3 runs, winning the game is all that matters now. WHY WHY WHY did Stras throw at batter???????

219. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Not crazy. Strasburg just told Davey to KISS HIS assess. He hates pitching in the ATL. Davey probably scolded him for beaning Upton. There should have been retaliation 3 weeks ago. There was not. Davey stinks and the players are letting him know it

220. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Maybe with Davey tossed too we have a better chance to win this game. Could Stras be crazy like a fox?

221. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Tyler Moore with a nifty play there.

222. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM

WasianDavey is pathetic, I agree with you…he is soft and just is now a loser at this stage and its manifested to the team..

223. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM

maybe SS just wanted Knorr to be the manager for the rest of the game and he is tired of Davey.

224. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM

By the way does Davey get thrown out of the game

225. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I would hit Upton again, in terms of functionality, not propriety….

226. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Johnson ejected too. Knorr is your manager.Nice play by Tyler, but where was Roark on covering first? Should've been a double play.

227. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM

" NJ, ??? how do any of those pitches make any sense?felt like I was watching Bull Durham and Nuke LaLoosh when the mascot got drilled?…that was way weird."So did Stras get tossed to go meet up with Baseball Annie?

228. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM

229. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Nice comeback Roark

230. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Or K him….

231. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Amen WODL. Mick your wrong. This game means nothing. Last years games meant something and STRAS was shut down. He's was pissed then. He's pissed now. And I m glad he did what he did.

232. Amr Khani - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Nice. At least it feels like it means something…

233. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I hope new manager gets in stras and this teams faces next season…right now, the Mr Softy music should be played over the Nats park public address system when they take the filed. Soft and Stupid is what the 2013 Nats are aboutvery sad

234. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Nice job, Roark. Might want to field your position, though.

235. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM

How was vacation Mick? Now that's important.

236. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Wasinathey need to beat the Braves at least once, regardless that the season is over

237. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM

FP asking about the Presidential chain of command. That's easy. Jason WERTh.

238. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Wasian If your right about Stras then fine…because I think most rationale fans are fed up with Davey and this coaching staff…I know I am

239. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I don't know if it was on purpose. Remember when Stras lost it with Miami? Maybe when you are that tightly wound, when you come unwound it's yarn all over the place.

240. Eric - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Howdy all!Just back from vacation and was crunching on some side jobs before I left… Haven't been totally tuned in for awhile and it seems I'm getting back to it just as things get really weird. What a bizarre start to this game.How's the movement on Roark's slider? 95 heater and 83 change is a good spread…

241. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I thought Stras had grown up…I was wrong…still a head case…when will he grow up???

242. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Mick I hope I'm right about Stras. Because if those pitches were physical. OH SHOOOT

243. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Post of the night:Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said…One-hundred-21 pitches! And we're in the bottom of the second!I'm rolling out the cot for this one.August 17, 2013 8:41 PM

244. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Now Hairston against a righty. So much for the original line-up…

245. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Knorr with his 1st bad decision no matter what happens with this AB, Hairston needs to be replaced with the right hander pitcher.

246. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Wasianit was great, relaxing good time with familythanks for asking!

247. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Hairston is so bad with the glove that hes a waste playing him once a righty comes in.

248. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Tyler Moore needs to be in the lineup for 2 weeks straight.

249. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I agree Stras needs a sports shrink. But I think he just hates management. But at least he had his teammates backs.

250. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

You guys are joking right? There is no way those wild pitches were intentional. The first one was a curve ball that was way outside. Then he just lost his feel altogether. There is no rational explanation for letting a run score and getting himself tossed when he has a 4-1 lead.

251. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

What day was Stras shut down last year?

252. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Wasianagreed

253. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:51 PM

it was in Sept Wasian…forgot the exact date

254. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM

255. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM

your right sec 222Stras just lost it…the question is WHY??

256. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Stras isn't trying to be rationale. He's pissed. He's immature. And selfish. But so is Rizzo and Davey. He didn't look at his hand. He didn't hold his arm. He didn't ask for the trainer or McCatty after the first or second wild pitch.

257. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

looking ahead in 2014…Nats do not need anymore rent a starting pitcherrotation is JZim, Stras, Gio, Det and Jordan

258. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:55 PM

222, agree. Stras lost it, completely. Have seen it before (not this extreme).

259. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM

agreed wasianand in your face tough love manager is what Stras and these other frighten puppies need

260. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

We may never know wether it was physical or intentional. But one thing is quite obvious with these players. Nobody is going to block the door when Davey leaves.

261. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

If you don't realize that Strasburg was protecting Harper WITH EMPHASIS, you sure don't know much about baseball.

262. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I think it could have been sitting so long in the damp air. The top of the 2nd lasted a long time. Stras looked stunned more than anything else.

263. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

"Joe Seamhead said… Yes, NatsLady, I agree. Between him and Tracy they make two near useless players. Hairston's mediocre outfielding isn't a fair trade off for what he brings to the plate."Keep in mind that Hairston is under contract next year

264. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM

but WHY did he lose it? he had a 4-1 lead, good defense…why…what is wrong with him??? I think Rizzo should get in his face privately and tell him to GROW UP. Forget Davey…the players have tuned the old man out

265. Dave - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I'm with you, NJ. Been sitting here saying that to my wife for 20 minutes.

266. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Stras DID PROTECT Harper in 1st inning…that was all he needed to do…

267. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM

If the game continues at this pace I'll fall asleep in the 6th inning instead of the 8th as I often do.

268. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM

NJ, that makes no sense. If Stras wanted to hit a second guy, he would have done it. He wouldn't have walked a guy and thrown three wild pitches.

269. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I need a Corona or two

270. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM

2 lousy Zimmerman at bats tonight in key spots with 2 men on and no outs. POOR

271. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I'm well aware of Hairston being signed for next year. Nats 128. And I hated it when they signed him and I still do.

272. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Zimmerman and Desi not doing diddly poo. Really hurting us.

273. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Wait, NJ, are you serious? You have gone off the deep end my friend He would get himself tossed intentionally in that situation? That's absolutely insane for too many reasons to count. swm, what is he pissed about? The shutdown? Seriously? I feel like I've walked into the loony bin here.

274. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Knoxville go to bed now and pretend the Nats won.

275. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM

WasianDesi in a slump, he picked a hell of time. As far as RZim goes….who knows…same ol same ol…that is the story of this season

276. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Nats 128 said…2 lousy Zimmerman at bats tonight in key spots with 2 men on and no outs. POORAugust 17, 2013 9:03 PM—///—-Same can be said for Desi's AB's so far tonight. He's due.

277. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Joe me to. I didnt get it looking at his Chicago stats plus he is worse then Morse in LF.

278. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Section 222 yes I believe he is. I also believe he hates pitching in ATL and just said F it.

279. slidell2 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM

280. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Stras didn't want to hit anybody. He wanted to scare the living crap out of them. Mission accomplished.

281. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM

The first wild pitch was outside! The second and third were behind the batter. The last one let a run score. This is now a ball game instead of solidly in the bag with our ace on the mound. He would never do that to the team. Would he? And I'll just add, if "the code" or "protecting your own" requires that kind of crazy wild throwing and putting the success of your team in the game at risk, then it is even more F-ed up than I thought.

282. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Desmond really is not delivering. Should have scored at least 1. He needs to sit a game.

283. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Ugly inning by Zimm, Werth and Desmond.

284. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Come on Nats. 2 on and no outs with the heart of the order vs a scrub pitcher.

285. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

slidell2 said…Harper, Desmond and Strasburg were sitting together in the dugout the previous inning, none of them looking very happy.agreed, i think there are 2 reasons1) they are immature and that is on them2) they are done with Davey and that is on Davey2014 can not come fast enough

286. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM

If you hit him, then you surely get thrown out. If you do a Nook LaRoosh, you maybe get away with it while scaring the bejesus out of the Braves (and a few fans around home plate).

287. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Yeah, the Braves look really scared now. He sure showed 'em. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.

288. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM

what is amazing about the Braves is they only have 1 WS title over their 23 plus years run. kinda hard to believe

289. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Forget. " the game" folks it's meaningless. Stras got back some pride and NATSJACK nailed it. He wanted to scare them. Good point NATSJACK

290. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I swear I thought that was Laroche scoooping that lousy throw.

291. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I'd be scared facing Stras the next time up…222 you are a brave individual

292. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:12 PM

leave T Moore up…lets find out now if he can play, why not

293. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM

and also Boys will be Boys after all esp. with all the HDH in the air

294. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Move LaRoche to the bench where he should be. The guys numbers just arent good on batting or fielding.

295. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Davey just beat Stras 3 out of 5 in checkers back in the clubhouse.

296. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM

swm, Desi in the last 10 games is hitting .308/.341/.513 . His failures with RISP are frustrating, but he doesn't need to sit. He needs to hit!

297. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Great post, Jeffwx . Exactly. I'm actually proud of how the Nats handled this,especially if they get the win.

298. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Stras got back some pride by throwing three wild pitches, letting a run score, and getting thrown out of the game? I seriously doubt his team would be happy or respect him if in fact he did that intentionally. He's our ace, our horse, the guy they want out there pitching, not playing checkers with Davey in the clubhouse.

299. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM

NatsJack,To your point about Stras protecting Harper "with emphasis", wouldn't a more emphatic point be made tomorrow night by Gio plunking Tehran in his first AB?I'm not advocating that be done but just curious on your take?i

300. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM

NJ, that's the second time you've said you're ok with this as long as we win. Don't you get that the best way to assure that we win would be for Stras to pitch as many innings as possible? Do you really think they gained anything through that bizarre second inning?

301. Candide - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Otter: Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really stupid and futile gesture be done on somebody's part!Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.D-Day: Yeah, I agree. Let's go get 'em.Bluto: LET'S DO IT!!!

302. Eric - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

The boy has relinquished the TV and I got to see what Roark has to offer…pretty impressive stuff…his curve and two seamer are ~nasty~.

303. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

The shark bats left and is a better fielder. Yet Hairston continues to play. Oh boy.

304. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:22 PM

You guys are all daff. You have been screaming for retribution for days and then Stras delivers retribution plus and you all whine that he went too far.It was on purpose. All of it. Anytime you hit a guy or throw at a guy you are putting your team at risk. That is what you wanted.

305. Eric - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Nasty with the bat, too!

306. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Roark!

307. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Have a night, Tanner Roark!!

308. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Take note Desi and Zimm.

309. UnkyD - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Roarke showing the gap power!!!

310. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I've always advocated bringing up the hot hand. Rizzo seeing the immediate benefits even though it never lasts long.ROARK!!! Hairston bad.

311. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

NL ball rules. AL ball sucks worse than Rubulicans and Ocama together.

312. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

see SS knew what he was doing…ROW-Ark!

313. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Don't lump me in there WODL. I applaud what Stras did.

314. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Knorr failing twice now with Hairston.

315. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I get it now. Section 222 thinks we still have a chance for the wild card. Oh, man, now that is some funny stuff…..

316. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Waa pae of tge plan Desi and Werth and them plotted last night.The Braves have played scared since.Brlliant plan

317. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Knoxville Nat…. That's next. Tehran is definitely going to wear one.

318. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

FP with the ZINGER!!!!! (Hope he doesn't get fined for that!).

319. Eric - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Fined for calling a tool a tool? Nah 😉

320. Candide - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM

MNF , was that Welsh or was it Samoan?

321. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM

"Secret wasian man said… Don't lump me in there WODL. I applaud what Stras did"Yah me neither. I didnt complain and I didnt applaud. I just smiled!

322. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I am a pacifist. I oppose throwing at anyone, but I honestly don't care if Strasburg put us at risk of losing this game by throwing at 4 guys in stead of one. It is one game. Who the hell cares?

323. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Until we mathmatically cant do it, why assune we can't

324. Eric - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Wow…Roark really seems to have something…

325. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

WODL, I'm staying away from the subject but if you can see my expression you will know how I feel. :))

326. Knoxville Nat - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

NatsLady, what was FP's zinger?

327. waddu eye no - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

don't argue with candide. he's pre medmeanwhile, at pearl harbor

328. Eric - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Dang…Roark!

329. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Man,this kid is just blowing them away! And he has a ribbie.

330. Steady Eddie - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Tanner, Tanner, Tanner!

331. Eric - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Re: Stras, so long as he's not hurt, I have no strong feelings about it either way.I do have strong feelings about the Braves maliciously targeting Harper, though. What's up with that? Did he piss in someone's cheerios?

332. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Sandy Koufax refused to throw at people, which is how the John Roseboro/Juan Marichal incident started. To my knowledge, Walter Johnson did not either. That being said, a little wildness is not the same thing as targeting a guy's knee or back. Cleverly done by Strasburg….

333. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM

It was fat fingers and letters when typed for me to see. Close to welsh as my fathers family is Welsh.

334. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM

WODL, I gave up on the Wild Card when we couldn't win a game against the Braves in DC. But I don't like throwing away baseball games, and I seriously doubt that Stras or any of the Nats do either. More importantly, the available evidence does not point to those wild pitches being intentional. It make no sense.

335. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Is this kid a reliever or a starter….is he a special gem, the Nats may have lucked out on?

336. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Ryan Zimmerman in a deep slump the last 2 weeks. Batting .178

337. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Semi-bored, I checked out this NY Daily News recap of a Latin-American All-Star game played as the last game at the Polo Grounds in 1963. It is really well done. Players got $175 a game. How times changed. Enjoy.http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/forgotten-all-star-game-50-years-baseball-latino-legends-played-polo-grounds-game-article-1.1395064

338. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Werth hot still.

339. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM

so Tanner is 26? how long has been with organization? I know TX drafted him

340. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM

He came in 210 in tge Christiab Guzman trade.

341. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Hah to the Desi bashers! RISP

342. UnkyD - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM

343. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Way to go Desmond!

344. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM

There you go Desi. Yes

345. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Desi 1 for tonight all witg RISP.Werth needs 12 at bats to qualify.

346. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Knoxville, they are describing the "races," Pittsburgh has pierogies, Milwaukee has sausages, we have presidents, and Atlanta has the tools. FP says, yep, correctly named.

347. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

"UnkyD said… I'm with NatsJack, and I'm fine with Stras putting the Fear of Jesus into that low rent organization…."Amen brotha!

348. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

52 runs out of the A-hole?

349. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM

MNFty

350. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Why no cheering or Tomahawk chops tonight?

351. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM

One more run and another Brave is going to wear one really hard.

352. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Tyler Moore with one of those lost at bats. Swing and miss at 3 pitches. Y-ouch

353. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Let's not get too excited about Roark yet. There was another Nats pitcher who came up from the minors this year. In his first 9.2 innings, he gave up 3 hits and no runs, with only 1 BB and 12 Ks. He was annointed the savior of the bullpen and possibly a future closer.In his last 12.1 innings, he's given up 17 hits and 8 runs with 5 BBs, only 5 Ks, and an ERA of 5.84.His name? Ian Krol.

354. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Braves have been not thenselves since Stras put tge fear of God in them.This pkan was hatched last night and well executed.

355. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Where's Henry when we could really use him?

356. elwi11 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM

How is it possible that everyone in the national sports media, and all of Gnats nation keeps repeating that Harper was hit 3 times while no Brave was hit? Uh, the Gnats hit Freddie Freeman first the night Harper got plunked, (which I still don't think was on purpose anyway), so at least get your facts straight people!Anyway, none of the 3 times Harper was hit were in situations that would call for such a thing. They were all close games with no room to spare by plunking a cry baby 20 year old and putting him on base in front of Werth and Zimmerman.Tonight on the other hand the Gnats had to plunk Upton, and every Braves fan Gnew it was gonna happen! Now that Strasburgh has been tossed after 3 wild pitches, (one to the other side of the plate), I am pretty sure it's safe to say that wasn't on purpose either and it "could" be back to baseball. And that's the way it should be, but come on media people, stop being homers and get your facts straight! Freddie Freeman got hit first in all of this.

357. BigCat - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM

It ain't over yet 222 until we get that little latin guy that started all this by drilling Harper for taking him deep. You see 222, you don't drill someone for taking you deep, you drill them for embarrassing you. And Harper didn't do that. What is that guys name…Tehrah, or something like that. Yeah, well if its me, he gets it in the back first time up.

358. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM

My pleasure

359. BigCat - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Yes Manassas, the Nats can look in the mirror again.

360. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Abad doing his usual. Great choice Rizzo!

361. Steady Eddie - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM

This is what I just posted on the Stras thread Before the dinger:OK, I now officially don't want Knorr to be considered as Davey's replace not for next year. Pulling Tanner, who's an experienced MiLB starter, after 51 pitches and leaving the last 4 innings to THIS bullpen, is BS. It's an invitation to a meltdown.

362. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Knorr, you arent doing well.

363. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Yeah, those Braves are really intimidated now. So glad we have Abad pitching in the 6th instead of Stras. Guess we better hit some more batters if we want to win.

364. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Nobody on the Nats or in Nats Nation ever boos Freddie Freeman. He is too geeky and nice. It is not quite the same situation as one involving a walk-off with Harper and Upton.

365. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Actually, no. I am OK with it win or lose. Just more OK if the Nats win.

366. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Well, thanks to Abad they "found themselves" I guess.

367. Dan Strong - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Damnit Abad…

368. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM

So many times we gave muktiple relievers at least one is clueless every game and tgey rotate.Two games in a row we pitch great fast balls for 2 strike and then hang a curve for a homer.Our catchet do not call good games in my opinion.if the otger team barely hit their fast ball so speed tge bat by pitching a skow pitch?

369. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM

It is hardly as though Strasburg dominates in Atlanta, Section 222. You assume way too much.

370. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Atlanta not a good stadium for Stras yet.

371. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM

That looked strike 3 to me on Simmons.

372. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Bring in Sorry Oh No!

373. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I guess the Braves have to be within 2 with a runner on first before they bother to cheer….

374. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:59 PM

So what we dont care, so why would you?

375. Steady Eddie - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:59 PM

222, while I didn't and don't at all agree with you on your "don't hit anyone in retaliation" view, I totally agree that if if it wasn't Stras losing his release point and was meant as "intimidation", that's idiotic lunacy.The Nats were winning 4-1 at the time against a team that has repeatedly humiliated them this year. Putting a solid win at risk to put on a thoroughly unprofessional clown show –if that is what it was (not saying I believe that) — would be inane.

376. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Yeah, you're right WODL, Stras might have given up 4 runs in 6 innings. But, of course, we'd still have Tanner Roark to go an inning to two. The most ridiculous theory I heard tonight is that Stras hates pitching in Atlanta and was pissed that Davey made him start. So he gets himself tossed as an FU to Davey. That's not even worth responding to.

377. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I see, Knorr knew Hairston would face a lefty again.

378. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM

If I'm batting .500 with you Steady, I'm fine with that. :-)

379. JaneB - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Sweet fancy Moses, I'm so glad we have you, Mark Z.!

380. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I am sure that Stras will blame a slippery ball…

381. Steady Eddie - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM

222– you know you're generally much higher than that, at least in my book. A little quirky,maybe, but you know how to wear it….

382. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM

The difference between the Nats and Braves…The killer Bees (Bench and Bullpen). They'll kill you or you'll kill them depending on if you have em.

383. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Span swung at Ball 4.

384. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Yes, he did. Someone mentioned Stras had a groin issue. Maybe it tightened up in the damp air in that long top of the 2nd. Nice K, Drew. Keep it up.

385. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Storen starts lucky. Goes 3-0 and gets a gift strike to make it 3-1

386. UnkyD - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Way to com back on Terdo, Drew!

387. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Got to love it Avad hangs a curve and McCann plasters it.Downs hangs a curve and Span just watches it, and then swungs on ine ine dirt to be struck out.We do not hit fairly a lot of mistakes, that is why we second to the bottoms in runs. We need to take advantage of mistake like teams do to us.

388. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Got lucky again. Nowhere near Ramos' target several times, and that was foul. Whew.

389. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Ump helps Storen on Heyward. Probably feels sorry for him.

390. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Drew got kissed!

391. BigCat - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM

222……watch….. Braves aren't done with this beanball stuff. You watch. Werth or zim is gonna get dusted. You are very naive

392. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Syracuse allowed Storen to fix machanics.

393. Candide - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Druuuuuuuu!

394. BigCat - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Love it Drew!!

395. UnkyD - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Drew needs to close for the rest of the season…certainly for as long as he has the hoit hand… Tell Soriano, if he wants to close somewhere, next year, he better be lights out in the 7th&8th, so someone will want him….

396. Candide - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM

BigCat, the Braves have more to lose than we do. They don't want to go into the post season with Freeman or McCann sidelined with an injury they got when the benches emptied.

397. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Storen isnt throwing it where Ramos is calling for it. If ump doesnt help him that would have looked like July.

398. Steady Eddie - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM

128, while it was a generous strike he gave Drew, it was the exact same outside strike he gave Minor in the first. In fact, Hudson gave him an outside AND inside strike in the same inning. As long as he's consistent.

399. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM

why is this game still going on? didn't it start at 7:10?

400. BigCat - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Another braves HGH reliever. Walden ? Where is he from?

401. Candide - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Question: Doesn't the pitcher's back foot have to be on the rubber when he delivers the pitch?

402. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Just because Dru gets out of it 1-2-3. The ump gave him a gift on 3-0 and on Heyward on a 2-2 pitch.

403. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Ryan Zimmerman!

404. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM

BigCat, I thought the plunking and the wild pitches were supposed to intimidate the Braves into not throwing at our guys any more. You mean that didn't work? We're going to get hit again? Huh? What was the point then? And if they do throw at us again, I assume you want more retaliation even though it didn't work the first time. Because that's just the way it is in this sport. The code must be observed even though it doesn't deter more plunking. Our players must be protected even though hitting their guys does nothing to protect ours. Ok then. Now I get it.Way to go Zim!

405. Candide - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Zoppo Boppo!

406. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!Love the insurance run!!!!!

407. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Zim's foot hurting less.

408. waddu eye no - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM

another bad at bat by zim. him and desi. ick

409. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Good job Ryan!

410. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Bigcat, steal from LAA for hanson who is struggling I believe.

411. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM

The Mark of ZZZZZZimmerman

412. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Drew got lucky. Needs to remember that.

413. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM

That was ball four that Werth swung at, but he got ball five so it doesn't matter.

414. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Yeah, ATL traded a starter for a reliever. It was considered very strange, but certainly has worked out.

415. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Heyward robs Desi.

416. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Nice catch by Heyward.

417. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:29 PM

By the way, anyone know if Stras automatically gets suspended for getting ejected after a warning. Or can MLB look at the evidence and decide the wild pitches were not intentional and leave it at that?

418. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Was received in tge trade for 5omny hudson this winter with the Angels

419. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Obviously not

420. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Cabrera walk offNieves 2-5, batting .347 for AZ in 15-5Oh Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddgeeeeeeee

421. BigCat - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Nope …. Braves didn't throw at us. I guess we showed them 222 didn't we? No …. not yet. It's over when Tehran , I

422. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Roark is now set up and stretched out to take the start Strasburg will miss due to his suspension.

423. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I sai hudson meant hanson.

424. BigCat - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Go with clip in last inning………please. No more soriano

425. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM

oh no Soriano!!

426. BigCat - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Gosh. Roger.

427. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Hairston. What a joke. You K'd and now you leave the team short. Real smart you idiot.

428. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Hairston is not just lousy, he's just wrong.

429. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM

If the choice was Tracy to play LF I would go with Jordan Zimmermann as I have seen him shagging balls in BP.

430. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Hairston, you cannot get tossed there & you did…and you are a veteran…inexcusable, anything else I say will be removed by a blog administrator…so selfish!!!

431. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Funny to hear FP say you don't get thrown out of a game when you're ahead. Yet many here think Stras threw those wild pitches intentionally. He's just a little more valuable than Scotty Hairston.

432. Steady Eddie - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Why Hairston was still in the gme at that point is another discredit to Knorr (along with taking Roark out an inning or two too soon). Knorr should have hit ALR for Hairston in the third when Varvaro came in for Minor, and moved TMo to LF.

433. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM

indeeds?

434. BigCat - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Inexcusable to walk a guy.

435. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Unreal.

436. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I can't believe Soriano did it AGAIN!

437. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM

There is your man, Section 222, best reliever in the NL

438. UnkyD - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Soriano………smh…

439. Dan Strong - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Soriano sucks.

440. JaneB - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM

We can't play Soriano anymore. If rather have Henry back. Why isn't Clip closing? Or Drew? This guys is done.

441. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

WOW!

442. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

un f'in real….Another important reason why we didn't do it this year.How long will it take before they stop using Soriano as closer.And if they don't stop that freakin mindless chop…

443. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I love baseball.

444. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Wow. That's just ridiculous. WODL, why do you care? You'd just as soon throw the game anyway to make a point. I actually want us to win.

445. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Sorry Oh No is one badass dude. Look how he spits when he walks off the field. Damn, he is so cool….

446. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Way to go Soriano. Walk the tying run on base.

447. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Is Soriano a complete idiot?Each of these homers have a walk right before then.The walks are just as bad as tge homers.Next batters he gets with no problem.Seems like he just choking

448. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Up to 6 blown saves on your list, dude. You are the one who sang his praises. Admit you were full of hot air…

449. Depot Master - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Sounds like FP is politicking for someone else as closer. Bottom line, you can't walk people, and now Bryce will have to hit if the game even gets that far. Soriano may have to come out and pitch the 10th, too!

450. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I love the little hand pull… oh well. sorry will get them next time.

451. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Stammen and Krol left in the BP. Bleak.

452. Drew - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

The Senators nearly killed my dad.Now the Nats are coming for me.

453. jeffwx - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Did it again…Did it at least 3 times….remember when we're up 7-4 and they tied it.Wish Gosselin would have took 2nd on DI so we could have walked Heyward….fudge.

454. SonnyG10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I can't watch anymore. Need to DFA Soriano.

455. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM

You didn't bother to do any research. You just proclaimed him good.Soriano has not been good and no one who has any clue about baseball thinks he has been good.So why say it?

456. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Kimbrel= 1.12 ERA . Not looking good.

457. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Strasburg is the hero of the game.Soriano is once again the goat.

458. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Bryce keeps looking at his arm. Not good.

459. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Lets see if the Nats have what it takes to get this game back.

460. Unknown - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Can we all agree that the main 2013 signings and resigns have been busts? LaRoche, Sori, Haren.

461. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Soriano is not even trying out there.

462. Amr Khani - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Soriano has not been good in years. But the Nats got bamboozled by the idiotic "save" statistic he accumulated over the past couple years. He's a below average reliever, nothing more, nothing less.

463. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM

There are many idiots on here who think saves matter…No me, of course. I have half a brain, at least.

464. BigCat - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM

After riz dumped on storen after game 5 , it's time he sat him down. Regardless of the money

465. Rodney Weaver - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Stupid Soprano! I quit. I'm going to bed

466. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Soriano comes untucked again.

467. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Didn't we just see this movie last night?

468. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

This is the most hilarious loss of the season, at least.It would be hard to write them like this. The damn ass Nats bring in Soriano again, against his Hometown team and he blows it again.Wow. I wonder who Rafael bet on.

469. Depot Master - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I honestly don't have a problem with the homer – after all, Tyler gave one up too. The walk, on the other hand…

470. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Where is David Proctor to tell us what a great job Rizzo did signing Soriano? D.P. you are going to get docked your pay if you don't type something soon in favor of Rizzo's off-season signings….

471. Michael Harvey - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM

472. Section 222 - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:12 PM

You're a long winded pompous jerk WODL, and you revel in the Nats' failures. I have no interest in debating this or any other topic with you. Feel free to ignore my posts as I will ignore yours. Ok, so McCann and Heyward apparently aren't intimidated by the plunkings. Anyone else?

473. Depot Master - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Krol better throw nothing but fast balls.

474. BigCat - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Krol reminds me of randy Myers Bring it baby!

475. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM

"Michael Harvey said… Great tweet from Dan Steinberg @dcsportsbog: "So now the Braves get to hit Harper in extras."Nats need baserunners…….

476. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM

its just laughable anymore. What a piece of garbage Soriano is. Letter high fastball. Who does he think he is Kimbel?

477. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM

No one deigned to defend Soriano the other night, Section 222, only you and you did it devoid of any statistics or anything. Perhaps you are a closet Braves fan or one of those Nats fans who secretely wants them to lose while pretending otherwise. You sure have made no pretense of attacking Strasburg tonight. I don't know, but you should leave the player evaluation to people who have played, understand and have watched baseball.

478. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Soriano will always have Section 222's love and admiration.

479. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM

please end this here

480. Rodney Weaver - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Stupid Soprano! I quit. I'm going to bed

481. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM

You didnt see Shafter get himself thrown out of the game for arguing that K. Hairston should just be DFA'D. Horrible signing. Rizzo just keeps bettering himself.

482. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM

But Soriano has been good this year…. Only 5 blown saves….

483. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Mark, I know that this person may not be breaking any of rules but his attitude is ticking off many of us. I hope you can put this guy in his place.

484. Depot Master - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Who would have thought that this game might come down to Bryce Harper vs. Avilan?

485. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Rizzo= Worst off-season ever.Lerners are usually pretty wise, so maybe it is just random, but let's face it. If Rizzo tried to destroy the team, he couldn't have done any better than he did in the off-season….

486. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM

They get out Bryce Harper and cheer it like its the last out of Game 7 of the World Series.

487. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM

488. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I thnk Haren's second half has been fine. First half terrible.

489. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Soriano can't even be bothered to pitch the 10th. He is too precious. He might hurt his arm and then the Nats would be in big trouble.

490. Michael Harvey - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

So between innings I'm reading about the Civil War. Puts things in perspective. Almost. Can't wait to get to Sherman.

491. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

the true Nats are doing everything they can. This Mercenary that Rizzo brings in just craps all over it. What a cancer he is. please just lose already.

492. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Why didn't Soriano yank his shirt out tongith?How does that work? Do you only do it to humiliate the other team? Soriano would have a fit if a guy didn't run out a homer and yet, he feels fine just rubbing his meager skills in, wheveever, perchace, they actually work.

493. Nats 128 - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM

"Secret wasian man said… Soriano is a bum. This team fought its tails off tonight. He comes in thinking hes something special. he stinks and has killed this teams momentum. dump his butt now."He doesnt have the guts. Made him the highest paid reliever in baseball and this is what you get. Unacceptable. That walk to Laird with a 2 run lead making him the tying run on base was the big mistake.

494. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM

$14,000,000 a year and Soriano walks off the field happy as a lark, spitting as he goes, shirt, of course, tucked in, for fashion sense.

495. Depot Master - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM

By the way, Mark – an Atlanta sports publication is using your video feed to suggest "putting one on Harper's ear". Thought you might want to know.http://www.sportsmedia101.com/atlantabraves/2013/08/07/washington-nationals-bryce-harper-stays-classless-in-comments-about-atlanta-braves-julio-teheran/

496. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Lay one out there Krol. Its Daveys bed time. OH WAIT

497. Depot Master - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Nothing but more fastballs, Ian. Simmons is the only guy that might get to one.

498. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM

RISP update Nats 3-13 Braves 0-4Krol obviously doesnt remember what happen.Relievers must not walk people.

499. Secret wasian man - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:28 PM

So this guy making league minimum is going to take his 2nd loss in as many nights. while the 15 million dollar closer once again sits on his butt not doing his job.

500. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Haren has shown heart. Soriano appears to have no heart.