Storen shines in return

Aug 17, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

ATLANTA โ€” It would have meant more had it contributed to a Nationals victory instead of another discouraging loss to the Braves, but Drew Storen's return to the big leagues last night still deserves attention.

Positive attention, because Storen pitched quite well in his first appearance since his high-profile demotion to Class AAA Syracuse three weeks ago.

Given the ball for the bottom of the ninth inning of a tie game, the right-hander retired three of the four Atlanta batters he faced, striking out two, throwing 13 of his 17 pitches for strikes and admitting afterward he didn't have to overcome any nerves.

"Surprisingly not," he said. "I love pitching here. If anything, theRead more ยป

1. SonnyG10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Good for you, Drew!

2. nats guy - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Baseball Swami,I do understand where you are coming from. When I was an undersized sophomore 2b in High school I was spiked twice because other teams did not respect me due to my size. My coach told me unless I earned their respect I would continue to have problems nd he would have to stop playing me.On a double pay I was spiked by the player coming in from 1st, 12 stitches. On a steal I was spiked on the ankle, it still hurts now 40 some years later. Both were very dirty plays.After that I started throwing face high down the base line and tagging across the face on steals. The word got around that I would not put up with any crap and people started playing baseball the way it should be played.Baseball is a beautiful, tough, but mental game. If you don't put up with the dirty crap you won't see any more of it.Right now the Brav0s, like all bullys, are doing the crap just to see what the Nats will take. We need to respond in a very tough way to make it stop, because like all bullys they don't like it very much when they have it done to them.

3. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM

earning respect by dirty plays? WOW! unbelievable and unacceptable.

4. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM

5. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I love General Sherman more today than I use to…wish his ghost could march in and burn Braves stadium againha ha

7. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM

There has just got to be a way to show strength and support without assaulting someone. As for Drew- bravo!! He had good movement, good mechanics, good mound presence , good velocity. Pulling for him, as well as Krol, who impressed me with his attitude, and Taylor Jordan, who did not cave in after errors were made behind him. Good stuff. Now let's shut up those evil, choppy excuses for human beings by beating them!

9. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM

A well-placed, well-timed HBP is not assault. And any pitcher who considers himself a big leaguer should be able to place a pitch whenever the time is right.

10. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I am with you Swami.

11. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Seems like pitching the bottom of the 9th in a tie road game is the toughest test. You can't make a mistake–there is no recovery. Should be a special category for it, better than a "save."

12. Mark Zuckerman - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Mick: Knock it off with your continued use of that word. Not acceptable here.

13. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM

As I see it, Drew came into the highest leverage situation possible. Tie game, hostile environment, first inning back, Gattis. Boom. I hope this means good things ahead. Interesting that he was put into that situation, though. Do or die. Previously , pitching with a 102 fever. Not exactly being coddled. More like being thrown into the fire.

14. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM

sorry about that Mark

15. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM

16. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I don't know what you do if they play dirty against you. You can't always go to the umps (to "authority"). First of all, "authority" doesn't always see the dirty play, and their ability to punish if they do is limited–usually all they can do is issue warnings for BOTH sides, not just the offending side. I'd like to say the best way to retaliate would be for Stras to lay a no-hitter on them and for us to get about 14 runs, seven today and seven tomorrow. However, given the "code," I'm not sure that would be enough. If you don't give them some kind of direct, immediate, one-for-one response, what incentive do they have to stop? Some say the bully will stop if ignored, but the fans are egging the bullies on, taking delight in the bullying. We can't ignore it or Harper continues to be at risk in that city.

17. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM

time for "code red" Davey needs to be Jack Nicholsen in Few Good Men…

18. mick - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM

thats a T-shirt idea??? maybe Nats can make September "CODE RED" month!

19. Candide - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Whether that's true or not, it's a good thing to say. Translation: "Go ahead, pump me up, make me pitch better with your stupid chant."Refreshing in light of the passivity on display by the rest of the team.

20. SonnyG10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM

The host on 106.7 convinced me maybe the better plan is to do nothing today, but then nail the pitcher that started all this tomorrow. I would be ok with that.

21. FL Bassist - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Reading the comments here and on the WaPo, the testosterone seems to be flowing so freely that I'd swear I'm at the Biogenesis Lab. I don't think the Nats want Stras drawn into Plunkgate, lest he becomes the target of an "errant" pitch. I agree that the Nats should go out and play two dynamite "statement" games – they have the right horses on the mound to do so.

22. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Sonny, that is what I said, several times. Get Teheran tomorrow and leave the hitters for the next series or next year. Teheran's was the most flagrant, and there is no reason pitchers should be exempt.

23. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Also, here is my fantasy. (I don't know how the standings/win-loss records would have to align for this).(1)We meet Cincy or STL in the WC and win. Werth gets MVP for getting us to the playoffs against such long odds (sorry, Cutch!).(2)Dodgers beat Atlanta in 3, three blowouts, ultimate humiliation.(3)I would be OK with losing to the Dodgers or Pirates after that (well, I probably wouldn't, but I would reconcile myself to it). (4)Whoever is left (Dodgers or Pirates) loses to the AL team (ANYONE except the Rays, I hate the Rays).

24. SonnyG10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Yes you did, NatsLady. I amend my comment to say that NatsLady and the 106.7 host convinced me. :)

25. SonnyG10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I don't want Harp to go too long without knowing the team has his back, though.

26. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Why hate Rays? They are like the poorest team, the underdog that everyone loves (like A's).

27. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

FS, you are right, it's not the Rays, it's Joe Maddon. Can't stand that arrogant so-and-so and his schtick.

28. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I would also like Nats to show it on the field and beat Braves in the most humiliating fashion possible, something like 30-0.

29. Depot Master - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

You plunk Johnson today if he comes up with 2 outs, and you plunk Teheran tomorrow. And if he pitches well, you plunk him again with a reliever."He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue." – Sean Connery in The Untouchables

30. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Sonny, agree. It shouldn't go past tomorrow.

31. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I don't know NL. The guy is pretty smart, keeping them in contention with what he is given. I wouldn't mind if he wants to come over next year to manage.

32. paul brandt - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Teheran started this whole thing…we will see how tough he is tomorrow when he steps in the box. The HBP that really ticked me off was Avilan's 8th inning HBP because he went head hunting and that is wrong. It's one thing to hit a guy but to throw a 92mph fastball at Harper's head and for their fans to give Avilan a standing ovation when he was yanked, that's when they crossed the line.

33. nats guy - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Hey Faraz,You called me a dirty player when you obviously did not read my comment completely."Not cool and unacceptable"It was about not putting up with dirty players.

34. Teddy Rochlis - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM

just a tad overboard, besides people normally don't plunk pitchers due to the fact that they are in most cases a free out. I agree with the fact that nats should have the attitude of reconciliation through humiliation. I mean how sweet would it be if we won a game like 20-2.

35. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I want two 15-0 games. Thanks. (And still plunk Teheran.)

36. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Teheran is hitting .244 (.220 lifetime). Better than our bench except Lombo.

37. JD - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM

NLYou can't wait until tomorrow. This season is over for all intents and purposes. We have to send Bryce a message that we have his back.

38. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM

nats guy, there is a misunderstanding. I did not call you a dirty player.

39. SonnyG10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Hell will freeze over before be beat the Barves 20 to 2 or any such score. If you're waiting for that to happen to get retribution, then you might as well tell Harper to kiss off, we don't want you anymore. Humiliation isn't what's needed. An emphatic warning is what is needed. The Braves and every other team in MLB needs to understand the Nats will not tolerate having our players thrown at. Of course, an additional helping of humiliation wouldn't hurt.

40. SonnyG10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

we beat

41. NatsLady - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I would rather get Teheran because the pitcher is the one with the weapon, and I am tired of pitchers plunking guys (Harper) just because they don't like them or think they did a slow home run trot.

42. baseballswami - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Game post– Tyler is back!!

43. natsfan1a - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Didn't see the game but – Druuuu…

44. natsfan1a - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Well played, sir. Well played"Surprisingly not," he said. "I love pitching here. If anything, the [Tomahawk] Chop locks me in.