Aug 17, 2013, 8:49 PM EDT
ATLANTA — Stephen Strasburg exacted some revenge for Bryce Harper's recent plunkings. Then the Nationals ace lost all semblance of command and wound up getting himself and his manager ejected.
One night after Harper was hit by a Braves pitcher for the third time in the last three games between the two clubs, Strasburg fired a 97 mph fastball into Justin Upton's left hip in the bottom of the first inning. Upton quietly took his base, and plate umpire Marvin Hudson issued warnings to both dugouts, which should have ended the whole affair.
Except one inning later, Strasburg suddenly couldn't find the strike zone. He walked Jordan Schafer on four pitches, then uncorked three consecutive wild pitches to Andrelton Simmons, the last two sailing well behind the Atlanta shortstop's back and allowingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?