Aug 17, 2013, 8:49 PM EDT
ATLANTA — Stephen Strasburg exacted some revenge for Bryce Harper's recent plunkings. Then the Nationals ace lost all semblance of command and wound up getting himself and his manager ejected.
One night after Harper was hit by a Braves pitcher for the third time in the last three games between the two clubs, Strasburg fired a 97 mph fastball into Justin Upton's left hip in the bottom of the first inning. Upton quietly took his base, and plate umpire Marvin Hudson issued warnings to both dugouts, which should have ended the whole affair.
Except one inning later, Strasburg suddenly couldn't find the strike zone. He walked Jordan Schafer on four pitches, then uncorked three consecutive wild pitches to Andrelton Simmons, the last two sailing well behind the Atlanta shortstop's back and allowingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Strasburg, Nationals look to secure series win vs. Mariners
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League