Game 123: Nats at Braves

Aug 18, 2013, 12:14 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

ATLANTA — Oh, hello there. Long time, no speak. Only a few hours after departing Turner Field after their 15-inning victory over the Braves, the Nationals are right back here for the series finale. There were plenty of people drinking coffee in the clubhouse this morning, starting with the media. But everyone seemed to be in good spirits, and pretty much everybody was feeling well enough to play today.

In fact, Davey Johnson has six of his eight regulars in the lineup, with only Ryan Zimmerman and Wilson Ramos (who caught all 15 innings last night) getting the day off. Both Bryce Harper (bruised left triceps) and Jayson Werth (stiff back) are playing despite nagging injuries. The Braves, on the other hand, only have three regulars in their lineup: Freddie Freeman, Chris Johnson and B.J. Upton (though Upton hadn't started either of the first two games of the series).

The obvious key to today's game: Getting as many innings as possible out of the two starters. So the pressure is on Gio Gonzalez and Julio Teheran to come up big. The pressure is also on Mother Nature to hold off on the heavy rain until at least five innings are played and this game is official. Could be dicey.

Updates to come…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 185
Weather: Rain, 68 degrees, Wind 5 mph RF to LF

CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth

1. natsfan1a - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM

2. natsfan1a - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I didn't see the game but am ingesting caffeine due to heavy-duty hostessing/sightseeing tasking the past couple of days. For me today, it's all baseball. (Well, after my usual morning volunteer functions. Yeah, the husband took one for the team today and went sightseeing with the houseguests, but they are his kin, after all…but I digress.) Go, NATS!!

3. Another_Sam - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I want an in your face statement game from Harper today.

4. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I know this seems paranoid– but I am watching plays of the week on MLB and every other play is one that robbed the Nats. Seriously- it's bad. I am in love with last night's gritty( for the most part) performances and the refusal to lose in yet another walk off at that horrible place. I think it may have been a blessing that Stras got ejected. Looked like he was going to be giving up runs in bunches. He has also had a groin issue. Now- a break for him. Think he will get suspended? Shouldn't, but probably will.

5. UnkyD - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM

No suspension. He didn't hit anyone, after the warnings…didn't really make anyone duck, right?

6. JD - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I think Davey has to find a way to keep TyMo in the lineup every day. I think that there was nothing accidental about Straw 2nd inning last night. He came in with a mission and winning was secondary to that mission.good for Straw. If the Braves didn't get the message I am sure Bryce got it and is thankful for it.Really we still owe Tehran one but Gio really can't get thrown out early today.If either Davie or Knorr have an urge to use Soriano to close today they should resist that urge with all their might.

7. JD - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Swami,I can't believe you are that naive. You saw Stras last Sunday. You think he became this wild in 5 days?I don't know if you noticed but when he came in to the dugout he got fist pumps and high fives all around. He did exactly what he needed to do to support a term mate who was being assaulted and he didn't injure anyone in the process.

8. PChuck - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Why didn't they call up a reliever and DFA Tracy? Gio has already been dealing with a tight back and we have no long reliever available because Roark and Stammen have pitched so many inning in the last two days.No, instead of DFA'ing Tracy you start him! His 0-4 is really going to help the team win this series.

9. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Oh, I totally believe that plunking was intentional and exactly placed!! But I also think in the second, the wildness was a command or physical issue. The plunking was over , warnings issued- over, done. It's in the second that I feel he had no control- not the first. He said in an interview that he has been fighting with his mechanics, has had a groin issue, sat a long time, does not do well in ATL. We probably would have had to take him our anyway– his command was worse than I have ever seen– again, in the second, not in the first. Two different scenarios.

10. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM

pchuck, good thought but probably not enough time to fly someone in.I sure hope Chad Tracy's fielding is better than the last time he played 3rd base and lost the game by throwing the ball into the stands.

11. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

And Tyler does need to play. He is not a defensive liability at first, we need his bat and ALR needs more time off- platoon. Then we have Adam as a lefty off the bench. Or we have Tylerbad a righty off the bench. Today I would have gone Rendon at third, Lombo at second. Time for Tracy and sadly, Bernie, to go.

12. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Raining in Atlanta. Team flight to Chicago. This could be a long day.

13. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Just have to say this– as much as the Braves took issue with Bryce, they absolutely pimp every single home run. What hypocrites!!!

14. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM

OK, if Stras did intentionally get ejected…WHY in the 2nd inning, knowing it would stress the bullpen? that makes no sense…that is why I think Stras just lost control

15. UnkyD - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM

(Don't know why the spelling "Davie" bugs me so much…)Carry on….

16. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Roark is goodSoriano and abad stink, plain and simple

17. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I love Haren now!!!

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:08 PM

mick, much respect for Haren and the 2 hurt players as Ramos went the full 15 and so did RZim. I wouldn't have supported bringing Haren back until last night. Still can't pay him a big # but sure could give him $8 mill and lots of incentives. That was big what he did.

19. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Soriano. Abad, shark and tracy should be gone in 2014…. that leaves 95% of team intact… need 2 middle relief and 2 more bats, that should not be hard to do Rizzo

20. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM

mick, Abad is what his name says.

21. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM

GhostHaren showed he has his team's backthat is what I look for in a player

22. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:12 PM

maybe Knorr should manage from here on out, Davey should step down?thoughts?

23. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:12 PM

sorry mick, as much as you may want it, Soriano isn't leaving. Could he be a setup man in 2014? I'm happy LaRoche came up big last night but his .230's BA and lack of range might not get better next year. That's Rizzo's biggest issue to iron out for 2014. He knew that he didn't want to give him a 2 year deal and that's what he did with the option. Big mistake since he had Morse.

24. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Ghostyikes…so could we trade Soriano?

25. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

If Davey and stras are suspended and nobody on Braves are…that is CRAP!!!

26. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

27. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM

GhostAGREED you are totally correct

28. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I hate the Braves, but..I think Heyward is a hell of a player!

29. JaneB - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Wouldn't a curlie w today be the icing on the cake! Pitch a gem, Gio!

30. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM

mick, with Soriano's salary it will be tough to move him. I think he has something going on medically or at least I hope so to explain what's happened in the last week.

31. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM

janeByes indeed

32. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Ghostif that is the case, then i feel better

33. NatsLady - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM

LaRoche looks like a skeleton. Especially after the round face of Stammen.

34. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM

mick, Heyward was under Mendoza for months to start the season. He's now a force and he has real good range in the outfield. Probably goes back on a ball the best of any RF in the Majors.

35. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM

ALR does look like he has health issues…wonder if it is mono

36. JamesFan - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Chad Tracey? Tracy is done here. I would like to see them cut him and bring up a young guy. Why not play Rendon at third and Lombo at second? The discrimination against Lombo is one of the reasons I've turned against Johnson. Bernie is another example. Note how little playing time Roger Bernadina is getting these days. Very petty. I hope both these guys get out of Washington where they can play.Lombo will be someone's excellent everyday 2d baseman–smart, excellent glove, makes things happen, will hit .280-.300.

37. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM

A lot of guys showed me something good last night. I do not want to hear that they don't care or aren't trying. Obviously that is not the case. The problem with Soriano is that he sees himself as only a closer. All the other guys are willing to take any inning and do whatever it takes. Soriano does not even seem to want the ninth unless it is a technical save opportunity. Of course, we know what Randy Knorr thinks of hat. Davey has a bad back- take some rest and let Knorr help. He does quite well.

38. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM

39. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Soriano better not close. Why is Span leading off? Do we never learn and make smart decisions?

40. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Scott- the short answer is this—- no.

41. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

baseballswamiAugust 18, 2013 1:29 PMI would rather see Rendon at third and Lombo at second. But then I would also like to see Moore get more time at first and Drew back in the closer role. Fairy T ales?I want the same thing. Davey frustrates me.

42. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Scott, RHP vs Span so why not. Span had a good game yesterday until he got on base. Bases loaded, takes a small lead then hesitated on Desmond's dribbler. That type of stuff can't continue to happen then he gets picked off in the 15th with no outs. I don't get it.

43. NatsLady - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Ghost, I'm not sure why Span hesitated on Desi's dribbler. But as far as the pick-off, I won't get on his case too much for that–it was the 15th inning, it was raining, and maybe, just maybe, he was a little tired. At any rate, he'll know Medlen's move next time.

44. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM

On another note– did you notice the ATL version of the President's Race?? It's a bunch of tools . Really. So appropriate .

45. Candide - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM

JD said… Really we still owe Tehran one but Gio really can't get thrown out early today.Here's how you do both:At the lineup card exchange, Davey smiles at the umps and Fredi, everyone agree it's all water over the dam/under the bridge/in your basement/whatever, Davey says, I hope we can have a good clean game today," and everyone nods agreement.Then Davey mentions to the crew chief, "Listen, we all know that Gio can have spells of wildness, and I hope you can give him a little slack, and exercise a little discretion and not assume he's trying to drill someone just because he comes inside a little too close."And smile sheepishly.First two innings pass uneventfully, except for a couple of pitches in the opposite batter's box that that Wilson can't get to (thankfully there's no one on base). Looks like Gio IS having a little bit of control trouble today.(You see where this is going, right?)Teheran steps in. First pitch is 94 mph in the ribs.Oops. Sorry. It slipped. Musta been some moisture on the ball, all this rain.

46. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

NatsLady, nah, no pass on it. They've all seen Medlen's "A" move. He just has to stay closer. He's like a deer in the headlights as previously described. Split second hesitation gets him every time. That's the 5th this year. If you get picked because you take off too early, OK, but 5 picks heading back to 1st base? Nah, that's bad baserunning. Some base stealers don't get picked 5 like that 5 times in their career.

47. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM

And another random thought- in a long, tough battle of a game, a bench player argues balls and strikes and gets himself ejected. Bad form.

48. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM

baseballswami, good point on Hairston. To make it a laugher, it looked like a strike on pitch track.He let his teammates down. Harper stepped up as part of the walking wounded.

49. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… mick, look at the guys who stepped up last night. RZim takes the ball off of his shin and played the whole game. Ramos could barely walk and played all 15 behind the plate. Haren warmed up for a long time and shined in relief.Those 3 guys get a thumbs up from me. That meant a lot in my eyes. Forgot to add Bryce Harper to the list of "thumbs up" guys since he had to come in to replace the ejected Scott Hairston.

50. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM

More thumbs up than thumbs down last night.

51. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Sup party people…. Went to the game last night… What a game…yeah Soriano has got to get it together… We had the Giants game won… And last night was a mess too…I was cussing DJ out for putting Haren in but then I started thinking – as long as he keeps everything low, we should be okay…I'm ready to see us win this series….

52. NatsLady - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Candide, I believe Suzuki is catching today…

53. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

baseballswami, no doubt. Abad, Soriano and Hairston with the thumbs down. Stammen with a big thumbs up too, forgot him. That's 5 big thumbs up. Werth as always recently! 19 players got it done last night.

54. JD - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

MickStars got himself thrown out in the 2nd because the game was secondary to making the statement. As the Mats discovered 2 weeks ago you can't defer these things to a convenient time. Had they taken care of this 2 weeks ago it would have been over.And Swami the1st inning wasn't enough. Not with Upton smiling and showboating. Stars needed to tell the Braves :"yes I am crazy.".

55. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Bullpen has been leaky lately. Mattheus back down to fix it, Krol appears fixed, Abad?? Soriano?? Clip will be fine, solo HR's not as bad, Stammen impressive, R ow- Ark good. Bench still icky but TyMo a good step.

56. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Abad seems to have reverted back… Maybe this was the reason he wasnt using him as often in the beginning… He has shown that he is unreliable….

57. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Hey Mick, want to amebd you predicion Of 90% losses. That would mean going 4-36. In the last 40. I figured you were mad at Soriano at tge time.I still feel we can catch the Reds, but we have to win a minimum of 75% that is not real likely.

58. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Scott, RHP vs Span so why not. Span had a good game yesterday until he got on base. There you go Scott!

59. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

That should have been a balk….

60. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Omg span. Just stop it.

61. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Luckily Span is staying closer to 1st and he still almost got caught. FP, is right, definitely a balk.

62. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Where is Balkin Bob when we need him….

63. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I'm still pissed about the walk off by Upton the first game…. Unh, unh, unh….

64. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Ghost. Maybe at 7th. Then again he did just get on. (And almost picked)

65. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Bryce needed to get that ball to RF.

66. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I don't blame Span though…. It was clearly a balk…

67. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Good count to steal.

68. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM

0 for 3 RISP already

69. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Teheran throwing a ton of pitches and LaRoche goes 1st pitch swinging. Bright! He just doesn't act like a veteran most of the time.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Last night 3 for 14 moving us to 17 for 104 vs. Braves. A little over .160

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I hate first pitch swinging… Not understanding it…

72. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Over under on RLISP is 10. Who's going under?

73. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Imma take the under, Scott…

74. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Why the heck you walk BJ Upton… Idk…

75. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Thats how to steal a base.

76. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM

If we lose to all these back ups with our starters… I think I might lose it…

77. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Wow…. That is a mess….

78. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Keep walking the leadoff man especially a batter under Mendoza.

79. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Gio 12 pitches first 2 batters, not good

80. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Lol, Ghost, I leave for a couple of days and come back and we pick it right back up where we left off….

81. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Quick 1-0. Keep your head in the game.

82. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Walks hurt… Gio throw strikes…

83. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Gio with his head up his butt again.Werth needs to bark at him again.

84. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Gio seems to be getting ahead of his batters…but his closing pitch is off…

85. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Walking lead off guy bad enough.Braves RISP 3 FOR 4.

86. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Difference so far, Teheran wanted to give the Nats the 1st inning. Gio gives up the leadoff walk and they capitalized.

87. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM

That was a good at bat by Desi to work the count back…

88. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Too early to pinch for gio? :-)

89. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Again, Nats put 2 on and can't move the runners over.

90. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM

There you go Gio, stab at a pitch out of the strike zone.

91. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I can't even get mad at Tracy for his first at bat… But my brother keeps screaming Chad Tracy alert….

92. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Gio now fails at the bunt. Pathetic.

93. NatsLady - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Jeez, can't we get someone to teach Gio how to bunt?????

94. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

What is the point of Spring Training…. Come on Gio… Can't bunt for life…

95. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Suzuki was the only position player not used last night. He gets up with no outs and runners at 2nd and 1st and promptly goes down on 3 straight pitches.

96. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM

In Zook credit… That was a nasty pitch by Teheran for the K… But our situational hitting is pathetic… This is ridiculous…

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Gio should get money from whatever clinic. He went to that taught kids to bunt.All 3 pitches were balls to him.You never lunge to bunt. Never.Now 0 for 6 RISP.

98. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM

4 risp so far

99. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Teheran escapes another inning of putting the 1st 2 batters on. 0-6 with RISP so far.

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I am more thAn willing to teach bunting. At this point it is all I can do with a bat.

101. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM

And again, Gio walks the lead off… Had him at 0-2 and then 4 straight balls.

102. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

There you go Gio. Worked so well in the first,why not start with a lead off walk again.

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Gio's execution on the mound and the plate so far extremely poir. Not what the asked of him.

104. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Janish not interested in hitting.

105. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Teheran's second bunt attempt went foul because tge ball wasnt a strike.As much as tgese guys are pad, you would think something as simple as bunting would be a peice of cake.

106. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Wheres the warning on that HBP?

107. NatsLady - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Well, I don't think that was intentional. No warnings, apparently.

108. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Another lead off hitter on for the Nats… Can we do something please..

109. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I don't think that was an intentional hit on Rendon…

110. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM

First 2 on again.

111. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Okay… So Teheran gets both the inside and outside calls??? Gio didn't get that….

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Werth needed to flick it foul or hit to right, but please dont take it.

113. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM

2 K's by the hottest hitter in the Majors. 0-7 with RISP

114. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Get the hell out of here…

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Rendon come on watch the ball

116. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM

NatsLady said… Well, I don't think that was intentional. No warnings, apparently. Jason Marquis did the same thing a few years back. Got the batter in a 2 strike count and drilled him.I think that was intentional.

117. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM

This is ridiculous…. Just terrible… And I mean we are losing to their back ups…. Come on guys… Get it together…

118. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Talk about terrible situational hitting. 0-9. A perfect game on batters 3-5 of each inning.Almost impossible to do what tgey have done.

119. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM

The back ups are not tge problen. Our hitting is.

120. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Unreal

121. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Good catch Bryce

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Good play Zook

123. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Luckily Kurt remembered to throw the ball and I guess he did that on the double clutch. Not pretty, but it worked. Obstruction called!

124. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM

That was not inspiration effort. At least tge first 3 innings people got on so we coul then watch bad hitting. This inning all we got was bad hitting.

125. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Because of double clutch I was afraid he wouldnt get it.

126. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM

MNF, sadly yes. The bottom of the order ______.

127. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Gio has settled in… Our offense needs to get it going…

128. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM

OK,boys. Sonny's on the job. Let's score some runs. Dang, hard to type. Cut my right thumb and have to hit space bar with left thumb. Driving me crazy.

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Please swing when you have ,2 strikes and the pitch is clearly over the pkste.

130. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Way to go, Harp.

131. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Whoot -who!!!

132. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Now 0-10 RISP

133. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Damn… Just no luck…

134. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Kiss my Grits. Come on boys. Teheran is not that good. We should be up by 10 runs by now.

135. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Sonny – Kiss my grits…====Bwahhhhahhhhhhh, man I haven't heard that one in a while… Lol… My grandfather used to say that….

136. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Not a good time for Werth to go cold. 0-3 with RISP today.

137. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

But he did smoke that ball- BABIP.

138. jeffwx - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

looked it up we are 22nd in the league BA with RISP at .241 although several articles discredit the stat.eg: pittsburg, 29th with .226 ave with RISP

139. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

MrsB, borrowed that from that comedy show where the waitress was always saying that. Can't think of the name of the show.

140. jeffwx - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Alice

141. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Oh, yeah. Thanks jeffwx.

142. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Our season– and ( fill in the blank) hits it sharply right to ( fill in the blank), for the out. Repeat BABIP hates us.

143. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Really had something else in mind for them to kiss, but this is a family blog…

144. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Mrs B. u lost your over under already.Woodford and Coke plz

145. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM

man, look at Tracy churn.

146. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM

No pinch runner?

147. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Turd- guy doesn't catch that Desi fly ball and he scores on the Tracy hit. Of course.

148. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Ok, Gio. Get a hit.

149. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

This would be a good time for Gio to run into one.

150. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM

At least Gio didn't get cheated. Good swings.

151. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Come on Gio let it touch your jersey. Now 0 for 11 RISP.9 guys left on base.

152. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM

So their pitcher has hit someone and uncorked another one and had not even been warned. Is that correct?

153. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Damn it

154. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Pittsburgh gives up less runs.

155. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Correct of course

156. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Half off pizza deal still good for today?

157. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Yeah Scott – I saw…next time we are at a game together, I got you…

158. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM

The TV show was "Alice" and Flo was the waitress at Mel's Diner that always said that.

159. baseballswami - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Inning number one for Gio always comes back to haunt. Seems like he settles down after that. And now the evil chanting and chopping. Although their stadium is pretty empty for a first place team.

160. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Scott Margenau said…Half off pizza deal still good for today?August 18, 2013 4:06 PMYep, should be, but havn't tried it.

161. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM

162. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Now, between innings, just want to say how proud I am of Stephen Strasburg. Sound bite with ALR who said he had tremendous respect for Stephen brought tears to my eyes.

163. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Wonder if there is something wrong in his regiment that causes a bad first inning.Wonder heart rate high enough etc.

164. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Had it for my pregame meal.

165. Joe Seamhead - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

You guys kill me.

166. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Man, what's come over Span. He's raking now.

167. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Some here dont understand, but teammates loved SS last night.

168. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Nats need to bash their bullpen here!

169. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Nationals need to turn the page on Slappy after this season. It was a bad move. We need to correct it and move on.

170. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM

They have the best bullpen in the majors.

171. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Who said Rendon was slow?

172. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Dont bet on that.

173. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Come on Harp… Do your thang!

174. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM

What moves do you think we need to make in the off season to improve?I hate being so negative but I think it is necessary to find guys to replace LaRoche and Span.

175. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Downs coyldnt get either lefty out.RISP time again

176. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM

It saddens me that LaRoche went from being a 100 RBI guy in 2012 to a guy who fans mockingly call "LaChoke" in 2013.

177. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM

If you hate being negative dont be.Not sure you can findca taker for the 2 mention, and you know they wont DFA them.

178. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM

anydream, I really think Span will be better next year than this year, but whatever Rizzo comes up with. This year surely has exposed our flaws.

179. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Come on Werth… Time to do your thang!

180. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan, you think Rizzo stands pat with these two and lets them start 130-140+ again next year?

181. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Whoot-hoooo!!! Oh yeah…. Lets do this baby!!!!

182. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I have not anyone near where I sit say tgat of ALR.Now 1 for 12

183. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Well ok Jayson. Let's rake now boys. Pour it on.

184. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Oh yes!

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Stand pat no

186. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Sonny, you are right, he has to be better.I feel like I have seen enough from this guy though. But I have no ownership stake in the team of course.

187. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Oh LaRoche. You just didn't……..

188. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Sigh…. That was just awful..

189. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

That pitch was high, why are swinging?

190. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Werth has exceptional hair.

191. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Crap. Did we have to try the steal?

192. paul brandt - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM

f-n ALR…would have had Lombo in there and squeeze him in but Davey doesn't do that.

193. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Much better than whoever that Angels player is who is in all of those shampoo commercials.

194. phil dunton - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Another great strategic move by DaveyM

195. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Werth, Harper, and Gio have the best hair of anyone on the team I'd say.Just trying to focus on the positives here, y'all.

196. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Ok. Ill break it down 4 y'all.Span and Laroche. U can't have perhaps the tip 2 hitting positions with low avg and low obp. It may not seem a big deal, but over the course of the year it kills you. I don't want to hear about the defense they bring #fail

197. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Laird double clutch all day how he not do it then.All we needed a fly ball. 1 for 13 RISP . Still have no clue how we are .241 RISO, i have watched most games and it seems more lije .200 to me.

198. James Bjork - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I just used language about this team that drew the rebukes of both my wife and my 7-year-old. I guess watching the 2013 Nats choke-fest is like a car accident– gruesome, but I can't take my eyes off it.

199. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Cj wilson

200. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Mr. Margenau, I couldn't agree with you more. Their production over this year on the aggregate has been infuriating.

201. Depot Master - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I don't understand sending the runner. At the very least, can't you keep a pickle going until Harper has a chance to score once the throw has been made? But regardless, if you don't send Werth, You have 2 outs and first and third. Guess they are trusting Laroche, who has struck out aplenty lately, to make contact?

202. 3on2out - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Yeah. LaRoche sucks. He hasn't hit a game winning home run for more than 15 hours.

203. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Werth does have great hair. Lucky bast'rd

204. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM

If I were the manager we'd have Lombo as the everyday 2B and Moore as the everyday LF throughout the rest of the season. Slide Harper to CF, Zim to 1B, Rendon to 3B and let "Slappy" and "LaChoke" ride the pine the rest of the year. They can be used as situational players.

205. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Schafer looked like he was out to me…

206. NatsLady - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Haren has good hair.

207. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I have no problem with steal call. Werth did not get a good jump. More important ALR had to hit the ball. He didn't do his job which messes up all strategiesPlayers have to execute or no plan is good.

208. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Out!!

209. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I had to send mine outside

210. Depot Master - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

3on2out, no one is saying Laroche sucks, only that he has struck out lately and can't necessarily be trusted as much as, say, someone like Polanco or Werth might be in those cases.

211. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Send in your suggestion

212. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Haren might have decent hair but I wouldn't say he has 8 figure hair. Werth is the kind of guy with 10 figure hair.

213. Depot Master - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM

MNF – That's exactly my point. Part of a good game plan is knowing what your players have a likelihood of being able to execute.

214. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Moore to first

215. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Oh Suzuki. On the base you got him.

216. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Are you serious right now….. He was out… Again!

217. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM

One thing Rizzo must do in tge off season. Find a solid bullpen corps. We half of one.Find a pitching coach that can stop the running.Almost none of our pitchers have a clue how to stop the running game.

218. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Ok. I need a bourbon now.

219. NatsLady - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Gio is pitching a heck of a game. Get this man some RUNS!!!

220. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Whew…. Thanks for the DP… Come on guys… Lets do this!

221. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Good decision by Rendon.

222. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Woot! Bitches! (Ala breaking bad style)

223. paul brandt - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM

see how easy it is to screw up an inning, Barves, am glad you have been watching us today…4-6-3.love, the Nats.

224. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I wish somone would cure first inning unpreparedness.

225. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM

NL – I was just about to say, we labor with our pitchers and it doesn't always look pretty but in today's case, Gio has some his job….

226. NatsLady - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM

LOL, the Phillies walked off on an error by Hanley Ramirez. Papelbum still doesn't have a save–but he did get the win.

227. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM

LaRoche hitting agaibst a righty should hit the ball.with a lefty I dont call it.

228. Joe Seamhead - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Wow! That was ugly, Desi.

229. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM

That slider was never in tge strike zone, so clueless why Desi would swing at that. Had it started in thecstrike zone I wouldnt be happy, but not surprised.

230. paul brandt - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

It's just maddening to watch this offense.

231. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Suzuki hits the ball the wrong distance. He it hard, but either to far to have it drop in or to short to go over their head.

232. NatsLady - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM

All right, Drew. Keep it 2-1. Maybe Kimbrel is tired, his third day in a row.

233. ExposedinDC - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM

It's over….

234. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Ughh. Ill be glad to just watch these games and relax knowing we are eliminated. I still think I can will this team to win….sucks the energy from ya! Heh

235. Joe Seamhead - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Oh my, Kimbrel for the 9th. Gonna start the grill.

236. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Great inning for Drew!

237. phil dunton - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Kimbrel has the body stance of an ape when he looks in to the catcher for the pitch sign.

238. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM

239. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM

People have been saying all season that Span is a fast guy but I remember seeing him in the first game of this season and thinking "that guy really doesn't look speedy".

240. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I love Rendon, but that was awful.

241. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM

That pick off wasnt close…

242. MrsB loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Wow….. That was a swing?!?!?!?!?!!!?

243. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM

When is he going to learn to not even about swunging at breaking balls.

244. paul brandt - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM

not a chance he went but that pretty much sums up the year.

245. Joe Seamhead - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Doesn't make any difference, but that was a crap call by Hudson.

246. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Atlanta native Mark Hudson with the call. Hudson is biased towards his hometown team.Why MLB lets him umpire almost every single Atlanta game, I will never know.

247. Scott Margenau - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Bad call. Can't end game like that blue!

248. phil dunton - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Kimbrel….everything in a closer that Soriano isn't!

249. paul brandt - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM

WODL, good poinnt. Everyone wants to see that match-up, you don't ring him up on a check swing, that was garbage.

250. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Kimbrel is excellent, would Soriano pay attenrion? Dont let the batters hit the ball. Not rocket science.

251. paul brandt - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

next time have Gio start in the 2nd inning.

252. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Good game guys. Werth can go comb his hair and Hudson can hit the union buffet line.They really take care of you when you're union, trust me.

253. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Actual a clever plan Storen pitch the first Gio from then on.

254. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Nats had the chances. Plenty of them. None bigger than LaRoche's at-bat after Werth's RBI single.

255. SonnyG10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Oh, well. Close game. Too bad it was against their backups.

256. anydream - Aug 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Hudson is stuffing his face right now. He clearly couldn't wait another minute to go enjoy his meal. I have been inspired by him.I am going to go for a run.If I am Jayson Werth I am spending the rest of my day combing my hair, checking my bank account on my smartphone, and admiring my stats on ESPN.com.