Aug 18, 2013, 5:08 PM EST
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: After Saturday night's wild, 15-inning affair that required 14 innings of work out of their bullpen, the Nationals desperately needed a lengthy start out of Gio Gonzalez today. The left-hander got off to a rocky start, allowing two runs in the first inning, but battled back nicely to give his team a chance. The Nats, though, couldn't push home a run against Julio Teheran to save their lives. They went 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position through the first six innings. They did finally push one run across in the seventh but stranded the tying runner on third. That left them to rally against the Braves bullpen, never an easy task. Jordan Walden and Craig Kimbrel finished it out, handing the Nationals a tough loss and knocking them back to 15 1/2 games behind Atlanta in the NL East.
Hitting lowlight: The opportunities certainly were there early on. The Nationals put their first two men on base in their first threeRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher