Aug 18, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: After Saturday night's wild, 15-inning affair that required 14 innings of work out of their bullpen, the Nationals desperately needed a lengthy start out of Gio Gonzalez today. The left-hander got off to a rocky start, allowing two runs in the first inning, but battled back nicely to give his team a chance. The Nats, though, couldn't push home a run against Julio Teheran to save their lives. They went 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position through the first six innings. They did finally push one run across in the seventh but stranded the tying runner on third. That left them to rally against the Braves bullpen, never an easy task. Jordan Walden and Craig Kimbrel finished it out, handing the Nationals a tough loss and knocking them back to 15 1/2 games behind Atlanta in the NL East.
Hitting lowlight: The opportunities certainly were there early on. The Nationals put their first two men on base in their first threeRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Aaron Barrett stares down Brandon Barnes
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury