Nats still can’t stack up to Braves

Aug 18, 2013, 7:36 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

ATLANTA — The disparity between the 2013 Atlanta Braves and the 2013 Washington Nationals is massive, obvious by the outcomes of the 16 games these two rivals have played so far this season. With Sunday’s 2-1 loss at Turner Field, the Nationals are now 4-12 against the Braves. Nothing to debate there.

But look at each game individually, and it quickly becomes clear the disparity isn’t as large as it feels. Seven of the 16 games between these two have been decided by one run. The Nationals are 1-6 in those games. Eleven of the games have been decided by two runs or fewer. The Nationals are 3-8 in those contests.

Plain and simple, the Braves have done what it takes to win those nip-and-tuck ballgames. The Nationals have not.

“I’m gonna be honest with you: It just seems like they find a way to win,” center fielder Denard Span said. “They’ve broken our hearts time and time again. We’ve had the leads. I think they’ve probably come back at least four of those wins, and that can crush a team. I haven’t played against a team like that in a while, where they just have our number and you’ve just got to tip your cap off to them.”

1. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 18, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Just because we can't beat these bums doesn't mean they're any damn good.

2. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I still cant stand the tomohawk chop

3. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Aug 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM

2012: The Year of Natitude2013: The Year of Tip Your Capitude

4. Unknown - Aug 18, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Marvin Hudson is a disgrace to the game. Life long Braves fan, Atlanta native. He has screwed the Nats time and time again. He is not impartial in these games. He should NEVER work Braves games, certainly not division matches. What a joke of a sport MLB is. Good riddance!

5. natsfan1a - Aug 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Ditto.Manassas Nats' Fan said… I still cant stand the tomohawk chop August 18, 2013 7:49 PM

6. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again:Atlanta is Gary, Ind., with humidity.

7. Unknown - Aug 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM

The comments about Hudson, except about baseball being a crappy game are from Bryce Harper's mind to your eyes!

8. Nats 128 - Aug 18, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Tyler Moore couldnt have been worse than LaRoche today and a big difference with Suzuki in the lineup as he did nothing. Many blown ops today.

9. Joe Seamhead - Aug 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM

From the last post regarding Espinosa returning. I doubt it at this point. He's hitting .204 and maybe just as bad for him, he has 11 errors. He doesn't seem ready, and 2nd base isn't anywhere near our top concern.

10. nats guy - Aug 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM

If I was the next Nats Manager I would ban the term "tip your cap". No more cap tipping its just win baby. Too much rolling over and being the nice guy. For gods sake just fight a little harder.The 2012 team was one of the most exciting teams I have ever watched. These guys are just boring and predictable. I have not watched a game since July. I have to listen with Charle and Dave because I can't bear to watch these guys.The high point of this season was Saturday. The low point came with the Orioles series and stayed.New manager needs to change the personality of this team. Need some good citizen bad boys on the field.

11. nats guy - Aug 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Prediction: you won't see Scmuckinosa here too soon. Anytime would be too soon for me.

12. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Anyone hearing what announcers are saying at BoSox game.Arod was hit, niw Sabathia has to hit Irtiz (according to the 2 explayers)

13. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Above was to happen if Pedroia was out the SS threw away the ball so Ortiz is safe.

14. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM

15. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Mark stole my thunder from 5 hours agoreality checkBraves are SIGNIFICANTLY a better team than Nats as well as over a half dozen other teams in the NL.This is all about batting approach and the Nats are the WORST situational hitting team in all of MLB. That is the bottom lineAugust 18, 2013 5:25 PM

16. mick - Aug 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I leave tonight on this note….will the 2013 team win as many games as the 2011 team, in other words will Nats finish above 500?

17. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM

18. nats guy - Aug 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

79 and 83.

19. Doc - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Yo Rick II, your guys are no better with RISP than Rick I.1-13, same old, same old!

20. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Deja vu all over again, all over again.

21. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM

After A-Rod was hit, warners were given.From then on 3 more Yanks hit. No ejections.

22. Holden Baroque - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Hating the Braves since 1982 …

23. Laddie Blah Blah - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:56 AM

"He's hitting .204 and maybe just as bad for him, he has 11 errors. He doesn't seem ready, and 2nd base isn't anywhere near our top concern."Spot on, Joe. And he still strikes out over 35% of the time. Can't even put the ball into play. We still have too many guys like that in key game situations, e.g. ALR yesterday. Rizzo would probably like to move him, but who would want a "no-hit, bad field" middle infielder? Danny has not earned a September call-up, IMO. I would rather see Zach Walters. He is a .250 hitter with power (24 HRs last I checked) who only strikes out about 25% of the time. Terrible, but a lot better than Espinosa. Alas, he is even worse than Danny is, in the field.

24. Joe Seamhead - Aug 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Laddie, 32 errors and a .288 OBP for Zach Walters tells me that Ian Desmond's job is secure.His homers in AAA don't impress me with the rest of his baggage.

25. blovy8 - Aug 19, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Next time Mark Hudson is behind the plate, Wilson or Kurt should call for a few high #1's that "cross them up".

26. Rabbit34 - Aug 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Both teams are head cases. The Braves enter each game wondering how they are going to win. The Nationals enter each game wondering what they are going to do to lose. That's it. See you next year.

27. Doc - Aug 19, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I was thinking the same thing, blovy8. I heard it being done a few years back in the minors. Guys like Hudson have no conscience about how they affect the game. Makes people forget their own consciences.

28. Muddy - Aug 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I'm wondering why the Nats' brain trust called up Ty Moore. I'm hoping it's to play him regularly at 1B the rest of the way but I fear it's to be a "bench player" — that hairy chested right handed bat Davey talked about needing when he took over the club. They're toast this year; for god's sake don't leave Moore on the bench again along with the Steve Lombardozzi — who shoulda played yesterday IMO. LaR is having a very inconsistent year and the team generally isn't hitting with RISP. Give Moore and Lombardozzi a fair chance.

29. UnkyD - Aug 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM

So…… 7 of 16 were decided by 1 run….. And 11…of the same 16 were decided by 2 runs……I must need another cuppa….

30. Mark Zuckerman - Aug 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Unky D: Sorry, that's 11 of 16 games decided by two runs OR FEWER. I just fixed it in the article.

31. SonnyG10 - Aug 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I agree with you, Muddy. Play Moore so we can see what we got there.

32. SonnyG10 - Aug 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM

The Barves are not significantly better than the Nats. They will get their asses handed to them in the playoffs. Just like we would if we managed to eke into the backdoor of the playoffs. I'll still be rooting for our lads, but really…

33. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I dont dis like tge Braves tean. I do HATE the tomahawk chop, ad cant stand tge fans.

34. John C. - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:28 PM

MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that the Nationals have traded a PTBNL to the Cubs for David DeJesus. Lefty OF who is hitting .250/.330/.401 (101 OPS+). Decent against RHP (.268/.349/.444), pathetic against LHP. This may be it for either Chad Tracy or Roger Bernadina.