Aug 18, 2013, 7:36 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
ATLANTA — The disparity between the 2013 Atlanta Braves and the 2013 Washington Nationals is massive, obvious by the outcomes of the 16 games these two rivals have played so far this season. With Sunday’s 2-1 loss at Turner Field, the Nationals are now 4-12 against the Braves. Nothing to debate there.
But look at each game individually, and it quickly becomes clear the disparity isn’t as large as it feels. Seven of the 16 games between these two have been decided by one run. The Nationals are 1-6 in those games. Eleven of the games have been decided by two runs or fewer. The Nationals are 3-8 in those contests.
Plain and simple, the Braves have done what it takes to win those nip-and-tuck ballgames. The Nationals have not.
“I’m gonna be honest with you: It just seems like they find a way to win,” center fielder Denard Span said. “They’ve broken our hearts time and time again. We’ve had the leads. I think they’ve probably come back at least four of those wins, and that can crush a team. I haven’t played against a team like that in a while, where they just have our number and you’ve just got to tip your cap off to them.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister pitches Nationals to 2nd straight 1-0 win over Mets
- Span returns to Nats lineup after missing several games
- Gonzalez' pitching leads Nats over Mets
- Anthony Rendon has another setback in rehab from MCL sprain
- Gio starts as Nationals face Mets in New York
- Nats have had enough of the 8th inning
- Nats fall to Mets as Harvey bests Scherzer
- MLB amends rule involving Nats' top prospect
- Scherzer faces Harvey in marquee matchup
- Good news for Nats regarding Anthony Rendon's rehab