Aug 19, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: After a rough weekend in Atlanta, the Nationals arrived in Chicago hoping they might fare a bit better against a struggling Cubs team with a not-so-imposing lineup. Boy, were they wrong. Jordan Zimmermann got lit up for eight runs over five innings in one of the worst starts of his career. Nate Schierholtz and Donnie Murphy each homered twice for the Cubs, who launched five total homers on a warm night at Wrigley Field. Jeff Samardzija, meanwhile, dominated the Nationals lineup, going the distance for only the third time in his career. Put it all together and you've got one of the ugliest games of the season for the Nats, who opened this four-game series with a stinker.
Hitting lowlight: Let's see … they produced five singles through the game's first six innings, getting only one at-bat with a man inRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?