Aug 19, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: After a rough weekend in Atlanta, the Nationals arrived in Chicago hoping they might fare a bit better against a struggling Cubs team with a not-so-imposing lineup. Boy, were they wrong. Jordan Zimmermann got lit up for eight runs over five innings in one of the worst starts of his career. Nate Schierholtz and Donnie Murphy each homered twice for the Cubs, who launched five total homers on a warm night at Wrigley Field. Jeff Samardzija, meanwhile, dominated the Nationals lineup, going the distance for only the third time in his career. Put it all together and you've got one of the ugliest games of the season for the Nats, who opened this four-game series with a stinker.
Hitting lowlight: Let's see … they produced five singles through the game's first six innings, getting only one at-bat with a man inRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season